Twitter: Dak's Status Unknown for Sunday; Calf Sore

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I am hearing talking heads saying that the Minnesota game is not important. Yes it is. Not only we would fall behind a game with the other division leaders but it would also be a second conference loss. Dak needs to play.

The game is important. But the medical staff has to take into account the greater chance of re-injury given the time frame, while the coaching staff/front office weigh 1 game vs. the rest of the season. It's not as simple as Dak feeling like he CAN play. Or the importance of the 1 game Sunday night.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I don't need to THINK it will. It already has.. If the Vikings load up against the run and leave our receivers one on one all day Rush will hang at least 24 points on them. Regardless of your astute scouting report, he can actually throw the ball .. Just because he can't throw it as well as Dak is no reason to dismiss him. There's only maybe 20 guys on the planet who can throw it as well as Dak is right now. No I don't want him to have to play.. but if he does I expect Moore and McCarthy to call plays he can execute well. If everybody does their job, we will have a chance.. I am far more worried about Rush's lack of experience seeing NFL defenses than I am his ability to make throws.
I don't need to THINK it will. It already has.. If the Vikings load up against the run and leave our receivers one on one all day Rush will hang at least 24 points on them. Regardless of your astute scouting report, he can actually throw the ball .. Just because he can't throw it as well as Dak is no reason to dismiss him. There's only maybe 20 guys on the planet who can throw it as well as Dak is right now. No I don't want him to have to play.. but if he does I expect Moore and McCarthy to call plays he can execute well. If everybody does their job, we will have a chance.. I am far more worried about Rush's lack of experience seeing NFL defenses than I am his ability to make throws.
Where I am confused is what you base your but he can throw the ball, based upon? What plays can he execute? The fact he hasn't seen an actual NFL defense is enough reason to be very worried if we have to go to him. Again, we did an awful job of not bringing a better option at QB, instead bank upon a guy who might be able to play a couple of series if Dak has to go potty

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Where I am confused is what you base your but he can throw the ball, based upon? What plays can he execute? The fact he hasn't seen an actual NFL defense is enough reason to be very worried if we have to go to him. Again, we did an awful job of not bringing a better option at QB, instead bank upon a guy who might be able to play a couple of series if Dak has to go potty

I have watched all his preseason snaps.. and some of the footage from training camp every year. I am comfortable that he can make all the throws. If you haven't watched that's on you. His arm is not as strong as Dak's but as long as a guy can throw with accuracy and anticipation he doesn't need a cannon. If Rush can come out and complete 60%+ of his passes for about 200 yards and maybe one TD without turning it over we will have a chance to win this game. That will be just enough of a passing threat to allow Zeke and Pollard to eat. If we use the ground and pound game plan it will limit possessions and keep the score in the 20s or even the teens.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
If Rush starts, you're hoping he can get you to 20-23 points, with a mix of some help from the defense and special teams creating short fields. The margin for error obviously shrinks.

rambo2

Reaction score
If you think that then stop hanging on every word I say.

Prove that you don’t care. Ignore me.
Hanging on every word? Lol I'm looking forward to watching that embarrassment that you claim will happen. The game could go either way no matter who plays qb for the Cowboys. However, you with your great knowledge claim that the Cowboys will get embarrassed.

wecasa

Reaction score
Who was the back up in green bay? Matt Flynn? Had like 1 great fill in for Rogers and parlayed it into a contract with Seattle only to be replaced by Russ. Maybe Rush is that guy. Fill in one week. Get a contract with the Giants, never to be see again....

GINeric

Reaction score
Stop playing games and just sit the man. Should’ve got Joe Flacco when the Eagles traded him. We need to make a move for Foles or something.

You mentioned Flacco and Foles, when Cam Newton is still sitting right there and is closer to Dak's playing style??? Cam is better than both of your options.

Plankton

Reaction score
If Rush has to play, it will make the Viking D job easier. He does not have the arm to throw outside the numbers, nor drive the ball down the field. This will compress the field for the Cowboy offense, and allow the Vikings to sell out against the run without having to worry about the opposing QB beating them over the top. If Prescott indeed doesn't play, the defense and special teams will have to step up and play their best games of the season.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
If Rush has to play, it will make the Viking D job easier. He does not have the arm to throw outside the numbers, nor drive the ball down the field. This will compress the field for the Cowboy offense, and allow the Vikings to sell out against the run without having to worry about the opposing QB beating them over the top. If Prescott indeed doesn't play, the defense and special teams will have to step up and play their best games of the season.

It would be nice if Gallup returns to bring the downfield element back to the offense. Rush actually throws a good deep ball. But yeah, everything else will be shorter, quick hitting inside the numbers.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Um Keenum didn't play when Cleveland beat the Vikings so he's not really relevant to this comparison. Mayfield played and went 15 for 33 for 155 yards and no TDs. I'm betting Rush can match that. Chubb and Hunt combined for 170 yards on 39 carries.. I'm betting Zeke and Pollard can match that too. Unlike you I am not going to dismiss Rush because he hasn't thrown a lot of regular season passes. He has shown flashes in this preseason stints.. Especially his rookie year when he basically took the backup job from several guys who had been here longer. Hell he took it from Gilbert after he got back from his injury this summer. If it's his time it's his time. I'm willing to give him a game to show he belongs or not.
:thumbup:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's the sort of thinking that gets teams beat by backups all the time. If they spend all week preparing to face a "Dak" game plan and we roll Rush out there they will spend the entire first half scrambling. Sure they will figure it out eventually but they could be down three scores by then if we execute. Zim aint that stupid.

Yeah. No. If Cooper Rush wasn’t on this roster, he wouldn’t be in the league. Nobody is worried about preparing for him.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah. No. If Cooper Rush wasn’t on this roster, he wouldn’t be in the league. Nobody is worried about preparing for him.

Maybe, maybe not. I would have said the same thing about Mike White who was in Dallas and yet he looks like he could be starting this weekend.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I have watched all his preseason snaps.. and some of the footage from training camp every year. I am comfortable that he can make all the throws. If you haven't watched that's on you. His arm is not as strong as Dak's but as long as a guy can throw with accuracy and anticipation he doesn't need a cannon. If Rush can come out and complete 60%+ of his passes for about 200 yards and maybe one TD without turning it over we will have a chance to win this game. That will be just enough of a passing threat to allow Zeke and Pollard to eat. If we use the ground and pound game plan it will limit possessions and keep the score in the 20s or even the teens.
Bud, pre season means absolutely nothing, zero, zip, nil.....if we are forced to use him then ask Minny to put their 3rd string scrubs on the field, then maybe. He has not seen action against other teams 1st reams, and will not nor should not be expected to perform. If he has to play and throw at 60% with 200 yards then great...I think many on here don't see that as possible. He may be able to throw for 300, but would only be when we run for 50 and come all at garbage time. Will soon find out what happens, and oh, rest assured teams are game planning for him to start so there will not be any shock factor to see him under centre

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. I would have said the same thing about Mike White who was in Dallas and yet he looks like he could be starting this weekend.

Yeah didn't someone pick Rush up last year after the Cowboys cut him loose? I think people grossly underestimate just how desperate for QBs the NFL is. It's the most difficult position in team sports and very few people can do it well. If a guy has shown even an inkling that he can do it at a competent level he's going to keep getting chances. As long as he's not a polarizing presence that is.. i.e. Tebow, Cam .. etc.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah didn't someone pick Rush up last year after the Cowboys cut him loose? I think people grossly underestimate just how desperate for QBs the NFL is. It's the most difficult position in team sports and very few people can do it well. If a guy has shown even an inkling that he can do it at a competent level he's going to keep getting chances. As long as he's not a polarizing presence that is.. i.e. Tebow, Cam .. etc.

True. If he has to play I don't expect Moore will have him trying to carry the load or put in the same things for him as he would for Dak. I would expect them to focus on things they feel Rush can do and not overload him. Running the ball would become a lot more important. We would need him to manage the game not try to be the hero of the game. QB can't win by themselves but they can lose a game quicker than any position out there.