Dallas to host Alfred Morris on Monday

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I would hate this. Declining player who isn't a receiving threat and his addition would make it doubtful we add a back in the draft. Which is what this team desperately needs to do.

You just signed Dunbar. I don't see the point of this now. Why would you want to go into the season with these three backs?

You already answered your own question. Dunbar is the complete opposite to Morris, Dunbar is our scatback. Morris would be a great compliment to McFadden to share carries. We should wait to see, if we sign him, what the deal is. A small 1 year deal will not keep us from taking an RB prospect we like.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I think it's a good idea if we bring him in. First as draft insurance.. If we don't draft a RB we covet then he will be on the roster. Second the contract will probably not have much guaranteed money so if we get a RB we covet then he is gone..

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

superonyx

Reaction score
Who said "awesome" you're putting your own word in there. You attempted to say Morris was a product of the read option, I showed you he had success outside of the read option with a declining run blocking line.

Rankings in 2014: Commanders ranked at 21 in terms of run blocking

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/3/

Anything else or are we back at your weird "Show me a Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson type running back" argument?

I didn't say "awesome" to imply that you or anyone else said awesome. I didn't realize that any words or comment I typed could only be in direct response to your words.

I still say Morris is the product of the read option...or his success was in his rookie year.
Morris has been in a steady decline every year after his rookie year. His really strong year just happened to be the same year RG3 went nuts on the league with the read option.
The Commanders are letting him walk away at 27 years old for Matt Jones...We could be signing him to a 1 year deal (hopefully that's the most).
You can pretend he is such a strong signing if you want...I see him as a compliment to our compliment back. Just an average back in every way....not terrible...just average.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Consider it replacing Turbin....

Looking @ what's left in the market....He's probably the best left. Foster is 30...Morris 28.:rolleyes:

But I'm still drafting a RB...and pretty high @ that.;)

Morris has one particular thing going for him that none of our other backs have: he's been healthy throughout his career.

Signing him only means we aren't forced to draft a running back because we've filled the spots. It doesn't mean we won't draft one.

In fact, for what's it worth, we could easily cut Dunbar if Morris and a rookie both looked better.

McFadden is our starter, and Morris just adds potential depth. I see nothing wrong with that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Then who is he meeting with? Lionel Vital? They can reminisce about their time toting the rock for their beloved Commanders?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I didn't say "awesome" to imply that you or anyone else said awesome. I didn't realize that any words or comment I typed could only be in direct response to your words.

I still say Morris is the product of the read option...or his success was in his rookie year.
Morris has been in a steady decline every year after his rookie year. His really strong year just happened to be the same year RG3 went nuts on the league with the read option.
The Commanders are letting him walk away at 27 years old for Matt Jones...We could be signing him to a 1 year deal (hopefully that's the most).
You can pretend he is such a strong signing if you want...I see him as a compliment to our compliment back. Just an average back in every way....not terrible...just average.

How are you viewing this? Having 3 "compliment backs" is a RBBC, which everyone here better get ready for because we may be building an RB roster just for that. Morris wouldn't be "complimenting" McFadden in the sense you are thinking, McFadden may not even be the starter every game. If we go into the season with McFadden, Morris, and Dunbar; it's safe to say it's a committee approach.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I approve think it's a good idea if we bring him in. First as draft insurance.. If we don't draft a RB we covet then he will be on the roster. Second the contract will probably not have much guaranteed money so if we get a RB we covet then he is gone..

If they sign Morris they probably won't draft a running back. You pretty much have to accept a McFadden/Morris/Dunbar rotation for 2016 which is nauseating.

I can't say for certain they won't draft one but when you're dealing with similar rated players at most of your picks you'd have to think RB would lose out in that debate to other positions like DE, DT, LB, S, cb, WR.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He had a 1500 yard rushing year and fell off the face of the earth. Might benefit from actually playing with a QB that Defenses have to respect. If I remember right his hands are TERRIBLE.

Had two straight 1,000 yard seasons after his rookie year. Feel off the face of the Earth? :huh:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Murray isn't exactly slow. He runs a 4.4 40.

Get out of here. That's all we heard last spring.

Meat on the bone. Randle has the home run burst.

Now the same people blasting Murray are endorsing an even slower back, who also is hitting a wall in terms of mileage.

CWR

Reaction score
If they sign Morris they probably won't draft a running back. You pretty much have to accept a McFadden/Morris/Dunbar rotation for 2016 which is nauseating.

I can't say for certain they won't draft one but when you're dealing with similar rated players at most of your picks you'd have to think RB would lose out in that debate to other positions like DE, DT, LB, S, cb, WR.

I think we could get good production from those 3 backs. It may not be flashy but I think that's solid. I'd love to draft a RB but we have alot of holes to fill and I'm not sure one draft can do all that.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score

Wentz will not approve..

superonyx

Reaction score

Haha....I love the tiny CB font..

I agree that we probably wont draft a RB if we sign Morris. To me this is a pretty big sign that they plan to draft either Bosa or Ramsey in the first round.
It looks like they are preparing to have a committee of predictable average backs in every way this season.

Our defense wont be upgraded much this coming year with just a rookie DE learning that NFL tackles will roll you over...
I cant help but feel that we are running in place this offseason if this is how this plays out.

CWR

Reaction score
Get out of here. That's all we heard last spring.

Meat on the bone. Randle has the home run burst.

Now the same people blasting Murray are endorsing an even slower back, who also is hitting a wall in terms of mileage.

That's where the pros and those with out kids and nagging wife's can look at the film and decide if he is the problem or if it's Washington's Oline. At his age with only 3 real seasons of work he shouldn't be done yet. For a cheap contract he could work out well for us.

Alexander

Reaction score
And what happens when someone like a Spence falls to us in the 2nd round which very well may happen? You pass up the best pass rusher in the draft for Henry?

No, a sane person would stop and think for a second. Why is the best pass rusher in the draft here for me in the second and then that person would remember Randy Gregory and have no desire to put themselves into that same position again.

superonyx

Reaction score
How are you viewing this? Having 3 "compliment backs" is a RBBC, which everyone here better get ready for because we may be building an RB roster just for that. Morris wouldn't be "complimenting" McFadden in the sense you are thinking, McFadden may not even be the starter every game. If we go into the season with McFadden, Morris, and Dunbar; it's safe to say it's a committee approach.

Who really knows what they are thinking... I believe Forte and Demarco would have been the lead back if they signed either of them....I can also see Alfred Morris carrying the majority of the load this coming season. The attempts at bringing in RB's don't give the feel that they are looking for a compliment to McFadden. I can easily see Morris being the lead back next season with McFadden going back to the role they had him playing before Randle had his meltdown last year.

The idea of Alfred Morris being our 15-20 carry back is underwhelming.

Alexander

Reaction score
That's where the pros and those with out kids and nagging wife's can look at the film and decide if he is the problem or if it's Washington's Oline. At his age with only 3 real seasons of work he shouldn't be done yet. For a cheap contract he could work out well for us.

I hate to invoke the Spagnola Principle, but it applies.

Why is a RB just four years in the league, 3 of which were 1,000 yard seasons, available and presumably willing to play for chump change?

The Commanders basically said see you later, let us know what you get pn the market and we'll think about it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haha....I love the tiny CB font..

I agree that we probably wont draft a RB if we sign Morris. To me this is a pretty big sign that they plan to draft either Bosa or Ramsey in the first round.
It looks like they are preparing to have a committee of predictable average backs in every way this season.

Our defense wont be upgraded much this coming year with just a rookie DE learning that NFL tackles will roll you over...
I cant help but feel that we are running in place this offseason if this is how this plays out.

Yep. More average at RB. Good enough. Settle. It's the Cowboy way.

If we were going to go this route why not Foster who is an infinitely better and more versatile talent than Morris? Sure he's got huge injury concerns but if he didn't he wouldn't be on the market. Roll the dice there.