Dallas to host Alfred Morris on Monday

superonyx

Reaction score
You continue to say this. Outside of the read option: 1,074 yards, 8 TDs, 4.1 YPC

The offensive line in Washington for 2015, when it came to run blocking, was absolutely terrible and that is known.

Whew 4.1 ypc...that will scare them.
It's funny how awful every OL is when someone wants to point to a back's lack of production.
60 yards per game with 4.1 ypc isn't awesome...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You need to look at the number of carries in some of those games...maybe you consider 80 yards and 3.7 ypc as "pretty dang good".
I see 3 games where I would say he was "pretty dang good". And 2 of those came in 2012 from RG3 running the read option and catching us flat footed and looking foolish.

I see the running game as much more than a stat line...any back can get 60 yards per game and point to his 1000 yard season...I see the value in a RB for what he does to the defense when he is in the game. How much the defense needs to account for trying to stop him. I just don't see Alfred Morris as being a guy who strikes fear in many defensive coordinators around the league...

Haha, oh is that it? YPC now? Well, okay. So in that other 80 yard performance in 2013, he had 5.1 YPC on 16 carries. Imagine if he had his 24 carries? Oh and great, we held him slightly in check in the other game that year. Just took us 4 freakin games to do it.

Not entirely sure how you wouldn't care about an RB averaging 5.1 YPC on 16 carries while totaling 81 yards. So, at worst, he tore us up in 4 out of his 8 games.

egn22

Reaction score

Can't lie I like his running style in our system

mattjames2010

Reaction score
It's funny how awful every OL is when someone wants to point to a back's lack of production.

Who said "awesome" you're putting your own word in there. You attempted to say Morris was a product of the read option, I showed you he had success outside of the read option with a declining run blocking line.

Rankings in 2014: Commanders ranked at 21 in terms of run blocking

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/01/08/2014-pff-offensive-line-rankings/3/

Anything else or are we back at your weird "Show me a Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson type running back" argument?

Last edited:
Reactions: CWR

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Consider it replacing Turbin....

Looking @ what's left in the market....He's probably the best left. Foster is 30...Morris 28.:rolleyes:

But I'm still drafting a RB...and pretty high @ that.;)

chicago JK

Reaction score
I thought he is ok. He runs hard. In honestly, I would prefer him to McFadden. Although I would only be interested in a short term deal with low money.

He will not make many big plays and doesn't have a lot of wiggle but does run hard and breaks tackles and tends to fall forward to get an extra yard or two.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought he is ok. He runs hard. In honestly, I would prefer him to McFadden. Although I would only be interested in a short term deal with low money.

He will not make many big plays and doesn't have a lot of wiggle but does run hard and breaks tackles and tends to fall forward to get an extra yard or two.

He runs like Murray.

A one-step north-south runner without a lot of speed.

Morris would do well.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

My thoughts as well. I feel much better about Morris than when we brought in McFadden last year, and McFadden still found a way to get 1,000 yards behind our line.

lkelly

Reaction score
Not a top 5 prospect, yeah right. I'll tell u this. If Cleveland trades for Kap and keeps #2 pick they will draft Zeke. Their leading rusher had like 700 yards. Cleveland is the team we need to worry about. Ohio Pro Football team with a top Ohio Prospect. I just hope Cleveland don't get Kap...

I never get that how can you be a top 10 prospect but not top 5. It's 32 teams in the NFL and everyone that goes top 15 basically could go anywhere in the first round including top 5.. The draft is based on needs not BPA. To prove my theory correctly if Goff or Weintz fell down to the Panthers would they draft him in the first round. They would be BPA. NO!!!!.... The draft has always been about need just don't reach to far...

A team embracing the "moneyball" strategy picking a RB in the top 5? I'd be less surprised if Dallas released Romo, Dez, and Tyron Smith next week.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If he's signed it should be for a very small guarantee on a 1 year deal. Basically a camp invitation for a vet.

At a McFadden-type cost, okay.

Draft a RB like Booker in the 3rd or Howard in the 4th and take them all to camp. Theres a good chance Dunbar starts on puo anyways. Just sign him to a deal that we can easily get out of when trimming the roster. Otherwise pass.

Wait, what? You want to draft a RB now?

Why? He'd never git on the field. I can't git him out there.[/drunk Jones at piano bar]

CCBoy

Reaction score
If Dallas does sign Murray, at least the Accountant's ledger will be looking very black...and then there's the thing about him being a two time Pro Bowler with Washington.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

First, 4.1 ypc isn't something to sneeze at. That's perfectly acceptable. Even so, you have to put it in perspective. McFadden is the lead back. The complimental guy isn't expected to be Adrian Peterson, he is expected to be a guy that can share some of the burden, and if the lead back is injured step in and do a reasonable job and maintain a solid running game. A 1,000+ yard, 4.1 ypc RB can do that well.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never blamed our losses on McFadden, we all know Romo was hurt with no back up plan. McFadden just does not get them tough yards, he has no patience for the hole to open up and he cannot break tackles. Like I said a 1000 times before - "the Dallas Cowboys always draft their star RBs"

I remember quite a few runs McFadden got the tough yards.
I still want them to draft a RB back though. Agree with that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would hate this. Declining player who isn't a receiving threat and his addition would make it doubtful we add a back in the draft. Which is what this team desperately needs to do.

You just signed Dunbar. I don't see the point of this now. Why would you want to go into the season with these three backs?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Murray isn't exactly slow. He runs a 4.4 40.

Murray hasn't been 4.4 40 guy in a while.

He gained weight and slowed down.

Watch his runs in 2014... he as slow as molasses to the hole and couldn't outrun anyone. He was effective because he didn't go down easily and he had some pretty nice holes to run through. He's an efficient runner. So is Morris.

superonyx

Reaction score
First, 4.1 ypc isn't something to sneeze at. That's perfectly acceptable. Even so, you have to put it in perspective. McFadden is the lead back. The complimental guy isn't expected to be Adrian Peterson, he is expected to be a guy that can share some of the burden, and if the lead back is injured step in and do a reasonable job and maintain a solid running game. A 1,000+ yard, 4.1 ypc RB can do that well.

The problem isn't Morris being able to be a compliment back...He is perfectly acceptable in that role.
The problem is that McFadden is a compliment level back also. What we will have is 2 guys who both are mid level backs.