Dalvin Cook to be released. Cowboys interest anyone?

CCBoy

Reaction score
One word....value
I'm not putting more than $10M per year in the position for one player. Pollard will certainly expect a contract north of that after this season. Cook gives me a player I think has at least 2 more good years for 6-8 million.

Also, it's obvious the RB market is crashing ...........if we are going to be the run-first team as claimed, we should be over this, trying to add another solid vet to pair with Pollard. Let me ask you.......what does our RB room look like if Pollard goes down with another injury?
Pollard and Cook combined run about to what Hopkins is asking for right now.

Sully

Reaction score
Why is it that you think that a player is gonna come here like Hopkins or cooks and play for less than half of what they believe they're worth the Cowboys are loaded at wide receiver as far as money and roster spots there's a salary cap Tony Pollard makes $10 million that's already a lot of money for one position now you add in zeke's dead cat that is weighing on the running back position is what 6 million and you have two to three million tied up in other players already on this team already filling those positions I'm sure dalvin will take somewhat of a pay cut you think he wants to come to a team where he's gonna be second or third on the depth chart and play for $4 million the Cowboys can't afford to bring in a veteran like that we need help elsewhere if you're gonna spend money you put it towards a veteran offensive lineman or a kicker or a linebacker a middle linebacker to cover up possibly LE if he gets injured

the running back position is one of the worst to be spending too much resources on if Pollard wasn't here sure we would need somebody like Henry or cooks bipolar kid get signed he's making $10 million that ship is sailed that the guy somehow takes a whole lot less like I'm talking about he's gonna take under $6 million but I believe it's probably gonna have to be $4 million and then you're gonna have to be OK with them cutting Rico and Malik and possibly hurting chances of some of the young guys getting snaps or even making the team that we just drafted

so you seem to be still in fantasy football and Madden mode because we're in the offseason but there is a salary cap there is a roster limit and you can only fit so many players with so much money allocated to each position
Exactly Correct....Only way Zeke or Cook is signed is paying them the veteran league minimum and NEITHER will do that. They would rather sit out, avoid training camps and waiting for a starting RB to get injured and wait for that team to call them

rambo2

Reaction score
One can't in Texas...must have access to food, water, and protection from weather.
He pretty much chained puppies where they couldn't move at all. He would have left them to die if somebody hadn't called authorities.

CWR

Reaction score
I'm thinking that maybe Davis is worth a shot. I think that they feel that he is good enough to play. They also could try to sign Cook, but they wouldn't give him more than 6.

I'd love to believe in Davis, but Cook is a proven back. I suspect we might be ok at the position, however it feels similar to our approach at WR last year.

I'd rather not need a late season signing like TY Hilton to keep our offense moving.

That said it's all about money. There is a point he becomes cost prohibitive. It also depends
It might be better to sign Diggs and Steele long term.

Yeah if he cost us one of those guys I'd be against it, but I'm not sure he does. It'll be interesting to see what he actually gets. I dont expect we even entertain the idea.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
We don’t need Dalvin Cook. We don’t need DeAndre Hopkins.

But by all means let’s bring Zeke back.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One word....value
I'm not putting more than $10M per year in the position for one player. Pollard will certainly expect a contract north of that after this season. Cook gives me a player I think has at least 2 more good years for 6-8 million.

Also, it's obvious the RB market is crashing ...........if we are going to be the run-first team as claimed, we should be over this, trying to add another solid vet to pair with Pollard. Let me ask you.......what does our RB room look like if Pollard goes down with another injury?
I would agree but at the same time I have 20 million…there’s really nothing out there to spend the 20 million on. So at that point on a one year deal everything’s out the window. 10 million for a RB will not hurt our chances at competing unless he sucks.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'd love to believe in Davis, but Cook is a proven back. I suspect we might be ok at the position, however it feels similar to our approach at WR last year.

I'd rather not need a late season signing like TY Hilton to keep our offense moving.

That said it's all about money. There is a point he becomes cost prohibitive. It also depends
This........it's why can't believe they are willing to go into the season with only ONE proven RB, especially after what happened in the 49ers game after Pollard when down.

Reactions: CWR

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I would agree but at the same time I have 20 million…there’s really nothing out there to spend the 20 million on. So at that point on a one year deal everything’s out the window. 10 million for a RB will not hurt our chances at competing unless he sucks.
Either that or put your $10M here.......offer the Titans 5th rounder. Hell, he's the kind of big back Stephen talked about

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tennessee-titans/derrick-henry-18994/#:~:text=Derrick Henry signed a 4,dead cap value of $10,102,941.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
If they are as committed to running the ball as they are saying, going after Cook makes a ton of sense.

I don’t see it though because they are more committed to signing guys to extensions and in their minds— likely won’t see enough carries for Cook in this offense to justify a decent contract

Throw in the likely reality that Cook wants a multi year pay day and number one RB carries and the likelihood becomes even less

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This.

You want a bigger power back to pair with Pollard? Jamaal Williams signed for 3 years/$12M with New Orleans.

RBs are super cheap if you are actually in the market to add one, and I don't know why we didn't.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Known player released.... start a thread, justify why he should be signed, wait, watch another team sign them, pine over why we didn't sign them...

I'm always skeptical when a team releases a player later in the offseason and how much they can contribute and if they would be worth the cost.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
This.

You want a bigger power back to pair with Pollard? Jamaal Williams signed for 3 years/$12M with New Orleans.

RBs are super cheap if you are actually in the market to add one, and I don't know why we didn't.
Agree 100%........some good quality RBs avail.

He's right ...........we should be all over this

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
If they are as committed to running the ball as they are saying, going after Cook makes a ton of sense.

I don’t see it though because they are more committed to signing guys to extensions and in their minds— likely won’t see enough carries for Cook in this offense to justify a decent contract

Throw in the likely reality that Cook wants a multi year pay day and number one RB carries and the likelihood becomes even less
Even if it's not Cook......the position is crashing. We should be at the front of the line.

Flamma

Reaction score
Does he have anything left? He might not be a bad pick up for 2-3 Mil. What was he set to make in Minnesota? I know his dead cap is around 5M.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Zero interest unless he is playing for the vet minimum. I’m not happy paying Pollard $10m either