Twitter: Dan Quinn won't interview with Jaguars

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He may not be ready to take on another head-coaching job for a while. He has a good thing going as DC with the Cowboys. It’s not like the team will welcome him back if he gets canned after two or three years in Jacksonville. Not sure the Jacksonville job looks very enticing to potential candidates after watching their last HC get dumped after less than a season.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Nowhere to go but up in Jacksonville with a potential stud QB, ample Cap space and high draft picks.

I hear you Diehardblues but that potential stud quarterback could also be a potential bust, even if you allow for a rookie NFL season. The Jaguars ownership seems to be not exactly astute getting top general mangagement, coaching and the right player talent into the organization to refortify their offense and defense.

Of course there are positives as you pointed out regarding Quinn joining the Jaguars next season, but how can he walk away from this Cowboys team knowing it has taken some heady drafts and free agent acquisitions over a half dozen years to not only have a talented roster but quality depth. Just my opinion...

Last edited:

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
There’s only 32 NFL teams. If you want to be a HC you don’t pass up these opportunities. They have a potential rookie franchise QB to build around. I find this strange unless there is something else going on.

you do when you realize that your 2nd chance is likely your last and that the jags franchise is highly dysfunctional and that even with a promising qb like Lawrence it’s probable that it takes him 2-3 years to really compete and that Quinn would likely just be a bridge coach until the next guy comes in and reaps Lawrence’s rewards.

just an informed decision from a coach who knows his next move should be a smart decision and he doesn’t need to be thirsty for a job.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
There’s only 32 NFL teams. If you want to be a HC you don’t pass up these opportunities. They have a potential rookie franchise QB to build around. I find this strange unless there is something else going on.
Cowboys DC > Jaguars HC:)

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
It’s more about the Jacksonville franchise than it is about the cowboys franchise guys....not saying he doesn’t love it here but Jacksonville is a risky job opportunity for a guy who probably only gets one more chance. He’s waiting for another destination to open up while also knowing if he stays here he’d be perfectly happy.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think Quinn will stay with MM. Heck if MM don’t shape up then he could get the HC job if Moore don’t end up with it. Let MM and his clock management screw us in the playoffs..

Seth5545

Reaction score
Or maybe he doesn’t want the HC title again a la wade phillips. Look at the accolades he’s getting for turning around the Dallas defense.

Some coaches just aren't meant to be HC and that's fine. I don't think it bars you from greatness. Wade Phillips was a fantastic DC just not so much at being a HC. Might be the same for Quinn and I hope he stays at least another year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hear you Diehardblues but that potential stud quarterback could also be a potential bust, even if you allow for a rookie NFL season. The Jaguars ownership seems to be not exactly astute getting top general mangagement, coaching and the right player talent into the organization to refortify their offense and defense.

Of course there are positives as you pointed out regarding Quinn joining the Jaguars next season, but how can he walk away from this Cowboys team knowing it has taken some heady drafts and free agent acquisitions over a half dozen years to not only have a talented roster but quality depth. Just my opinion...
Because it’s not his team.

Being the boss is greater than being part of a winning team . At least to most with aspiring intentions for the opportunity to get the credit and nostalgia for being boss.

Much like players would rather be a starter making more money on a bad team than making less money on the bench for a great team.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I don't think they were ever a realistic option for Quinn, nor was Quinn ever really a realistic option for them. I expect they want an offensive coach with Lawrence.

1) Sometimes these interviews are just informational. Maybe there just wasn't enough mutual interest there.

2) Do we know if the Cowboys granted permission to interview? There could be some behind scenes discussions and some reminders about wanting more time together having just signed a 3 year deal. Cowboys convinced him to decline or just declined for him.

3) Dan Quinn knows what comes with being a head coach. He's happy with what he has now and knows if he continues on this trajectory he'll have his choice of jobs in the future.

CWR

Reaction score
He's waiting for a better option. I think he will get calls from other teams,

Not sure about that. They could be a great opportunity and will get yet another premium pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure about that. They could be a great opportunity and will get yet another premium pick.

They’re one of the worst and most dysfunctional teams in the league, with a clueless owner and a hack retread GM. Ten #1draft picks isn’t fixing that mess.

CWR

Reaction score
They’re one of the worst and most dysfunctional teams in the league, with a clueless owner and a hack retread GM. Ten #1draft picks isn’t fixing that mess.

Yet a year ago they were one of the most desirable landing spots with a "generational talent" at qb. Quinn quoted something to the effect of he liked what he was doing currently and when those jobs come up he will be ready. So maybe he had no interest in Jacksonville, or maybe he wants to finish this season and go from there. He's having a blast right now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yet a year ago they were one of the most desirable landing spots with a "generational talent" at qb.

Who said that?

Quinn quoted something to the effect of he liked what he was doing currently and when those jobs come up he will be ready. So maybe he had no interest in Jacksonville, or maybe he wants to finish this season and go from there. He's having a blast right now.

And he clearly wanted no part of the mess that is Jacksonville.

And keeping Trent Baalke in place virtually guarantees that no established coach will take that job.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score

And Quinn is at a point where his next place is likely his last place to ever be a head coach.....I wouldn’t take that risk on the Jacksonville Jaguars. Lol. There’s either a different job he’s eyeing or he’s just content at worst getting a big raise from Jerry but he doesn’t need to be desperate for a job.

likely waiting for better opportunities