Twitter: Dan Quinn won't interview with Jaguars

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There’s only 32 NFL teams. If you want to be a HC you don’t pass up these opportunities. They have a potential rookie franchise QB to build around. I find this strange unless there is something else going on.

I think after Atlanta that Quinn is going to be very picky about where he goes. He may feel the Seattle job is going to open up, so he's willing to wait on it.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Quinn has been a HC before and probably is happier being the DC of a contender than being in charge of a massive rebuilding project.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Exactly. Is every coordinator in this league a breathless head-coach-in-waiting? Job satisfaction & quality of life are huge...even in the NFL, I suspect. HC is a completely different job description - more mundane & administrative in some ways - which may not be everyone's cup of tea, especially if one is having a really good time (and success) with Xs & Os right where they are.

Yeah, I agree. I suspect Quinn has all the money he needs and doesn't need to be chasing dollars at this point in his life.

Big_D

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I suspect Quinn has all the money he needs and doesn't need to be chasing dollars at this point in his life.

Plus the way this D is playing he can basically write his check and pick his destination. If he rides it out he'll be better off and his options will be plentiful..

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't you think that declining to interview is a better ego and future move than interviewing and not getting the job?

JAX is looking for a HC for their QB and that is not a defensive minded coach. Quinn would have to find that guy.

Moore or Pederson makes more sense being ex QB's and more like a Reid type of HC for their franchise player.

Pederson had a QB in the MVP race and won the SB with a backup. Quinn knows he can't complete with that so why try? Some men do not respond well to a cattle call interview with the media looking on. I think he'd rather wait and have the team come to him, like maybe SEA.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This is what keeps me optimistic about keeping Quinn for 2022. The guy can be as selective as he wants. The Cowboys should return their main players on defense with some really young guys having another year of experience. No reason DQ cant hold out until next offseason for a job he really wants if the right job doesnt come available this year.

Creeper

Reaction score
He's waiting for a better option. I think he will get calls from other teams,

Don't you think the Jaguars job is a pretty good gig? They have a stud rookie QB, probably the #1 draft pick, warm weather location, some good young players on defense. 2 more good drafts and they might be a pretty good team. It seems like a really good situation for Quinn to step into after the mess the previous HC made of it.

IceBowler

Reaction score
I once had 163 people working for me .. nice office, all that crap. As I got older, I found that one usually spends your life climbing the ladder and once at the top, you find that it's leaning against the wrong wall. Money to pay god coaches isn't an issues for JJ. Perhaps Quinn found that the HC ladder leans on the wrong wall for him. He's very good as DC, has a dynamite group around him and I expect that cash isn't the driving force here.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
It says that Quinn won’t do the interview in the two week period but he might take it once the season is over. Obviously I have no idea if he is interested in the Jacksonville job, though in my opinion it’s actually a pretty good gig, Meyer just totally screwed up there. I also don’t know if he wants another HC gig, but from my experience, people who make it that high up the ladder generally have the ambition for the top jobs. I wouldn’t be shocked if he does find an opportunity that works for him in the off-season, but I also think it would be to his benefit to have another stellar year in Dallas to prove that this defense is sustainable and he helped build something lasting. Also don’t forget, while his stint in Atlanta ended in disappointment, he did make the Super Bowl with that team, which is impressive in and of itself. In other words, one more strong year as Dallas DC and his time in Atlanta (and previous accomplishments in Seattle) and he would have a resume that could net him the choicest opportunities. Personally I hope he stays another year in Dallas at least.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Don't you think that declining to interview is a better ego and future move than interviewing and not getting the job?

JAX is looking for a HC for their QB and that is not a defensive minded coach. Quinn would have to find that guy.

Moore or Pederson makes more sense being ex QB's and more like a Reid type of HC for their franchise player.

Pederson had a QB in the MVP race and won the SB with a backup. Quinn knows he can't complete with that so why try? Some men do not respond well to a cattle call interview with the media looking on. I think he'd rather wait and have the team come to him, like maybe SEA.
The only thing that Pederson proved is that the real QB whisperer headed west and is currently coaching the Colts. If anything, Pederson was exposed for what he actually was: a mid level coach that sucked at personnel and team management.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I don't think they were ever a realistic option for Quinn, nor was Quinn ever really a realistic option for them. I expect they want an offensive coach with Lawrence.

Agreed. Definitely you want an offensive guy to get Lawrence straightened out after this season.
The Jags just aren't the place many in their right mind would want to go.

I do think Jason Garrett will land somewhere if he wants to coach, whether its HC or not is up in the air.
The NY media is already saying the Giants offensive is worse than when he was there. So that's a plus.
Then he offers an organization stability.
And he'll be sure to point out he worked with Tony Romo, Kellen Moore, and Dak Prescott in his time in Dallas.
If he gets rid of that Cheshire cat grin and adopts the Arian or Belichick forever and a day, "I'm displeased," look, he might have a chance to take the reins.

fishspill

Reaction score
There’s only 32 NFL teams. If you want to be a HC you don’t pass up these opportunities. They have a potential rookie franchise QB to build around. I find this strange unless there is something else going on.
Word may be working for Khan is not such a plum job.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
But Seriously…

Look at all the talent on our D. #1 red zone defense and points allowed second half of year.

You look at your pass rush with Parsons, Gregory, Tank, Gallimore, et al

You got the #1 INT CB in the NFL. 2 DPOY candidates. 1st round draft picks throughout. Why would you want to leave this job?

Every day getting to Coach this defense be like:

giphy.gif

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
I think he, and especially his agent, figure Jax will want an offensive minded coach to work with Lawrence. Getting passed over for a job is bad optics and hurts your market value. They know he will have other, better options, especially if this defense continues this run into the playoffs. A super bowl appearance would make him the hottest commodity in the league.