News: DC: Cowboys Agree To Terms With Pro Bowl DE Greg Hardy

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I am fine with the one year deal. They can franchise him next year if need be and let's be frank, a 5 year $35+m guaranteed deal that it would take to guarantee his presence could just as easily blow up in our face.

mugsybows

Reaction score
say he tears it up this year, will we have enough money down the road to sign him to a long term contract?

adam3313

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Also, Greg Hardy&#39;s contract has a no-franchise/transition clause. He&#39;ll be a free agent in 2016.</p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="">March 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DFWJC

Reaction score
The one year deal does leave open the chance we may sill draft a DE if a really good one falls to us.
Wouldn't bet on it, but the possibility is real. Rookies usually don't give you too much anyway.

KDM256

Reaction score
At least Hardy is in the clubhouse for the time being... I take this as a show me what you can do type of situation and we'll cross that bridge when we get there regarding his future

If he has a monster year and demands more $$$, we either sign him to a multi or we can draft his replacement in 2016..

BigD_95

Reaction score
A one year deal makes the most sense for Hardy by a wide margin. XWalker said this early on, it gives Hardy a chance to reestablish his value on a playoff team and then go after the really big contract next year when there isn't a cloud hanging over him.

And as others have said, we can franchise him for next year if we want to pony up 15 Million for it.

who cares what makes sense for him! Right now we have the upper hand. We should have signed him to a longer contract period. This is a awful deal. He uses us to show the world he is a changed man and then makes more money.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I'm not sure. It seems like we'll be in the same boat next year. Shopping for a pass rusher.

I'm not a fan of "rent-a-player". McClain worked out last year, but we can't seem to lock him up and we're in the market for a LB. I can see this happening with Hardy.

Wood

Reaction score
clearly the extensive negotiations where about Dallas not being on hook in case things take left turn for Hardy in bad way. Kudos to Stephen for getting possible the best pass rusher in football for no guaranteed money. That is rare.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Also, Greg Hardy&#39;s contract has a no-franchise/transition clause. He&#39;ll be a free agent in 2016.</p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="">March 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not what I would have preferred.

Oh well.

Bungarian

Butt Monkey
Reaction score
I am fine with the one year deal. They can franchise him next year if need be and let's be frank, a 5 year $35+m guaranteed deal that it would take to guarantee his presence could just as easily blow up in our face.

He could have a no franchise clause.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is a little like the Melton one in the fact that it is prove it.

I think this is a different breed of player that will make good on betting on himself.

Yeah and then he gets a whole lot more expensive.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
I think we paid Anthony Spencer about the same to be on IR the entire year a couple of years ago. I love this deal.