DeMarco Murray on the Herd

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
so JG doesn't call plays like Sean Payton, Doug Peterson, Sean Mcvay

and he's not a good game manager

and he doesn't have anything to do with defense and special teams

so, what exactly does he bring to the head coaching position?`lol it's so hard to root for this franchise at times.
He's a good motivator. And he claps very well.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Interesting interview with Murray, especially his comments about Jason Garrett and Dez.

Talks about Garrett at the 10:07 mark if you don't want to listen to entire interview

Murray has always been a class act.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Clock management sucks with Garrett, he was fortunate when he had Romo and Witten because they basically took over and handled the game in the last few minutes. Now what? They are both gone. I have no confidence in Garrett with the game on the line and two minutes remaining. He will cost us some games.

Recall that rumors that Romo was installing the offense in weekly meetings in 2015. I wonder if the same was true in 2016. And then Romo gone in 2017, and the offense struggles.

I do not respect the performance of our coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
DeMarco Murray saying that Jason Garrett's weakness is managing the game literally just validated the opinions of thousands of message board posters all over the Internet on various Cowboys forums.

We knew it. We were right all along. Garrett is a goof. WE ARE SMART!!
Yessir. You win the internet for the day.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I'm going to assume you're referencing the popular criticism of leaving to much time on the clock for Aaron Rodgers. Consider this, what would you be saying had they continued to run the ball and, ultimately left no time on the clock for Rodgers, but also didn't score? And if running was so automatically successful, why did we only pick up 4th and less than 1 by less than 1/2 the length of the football, and then only because Zeke instinctively reached the ball out unprotected and susceptible to a fumble, and then only after a challenge and turnover of the call?

The primary objective when you're behind is to SCORE, not run the clock out. You can not make any assumptions of a different outcome in any scenario. People latch on passing on 1st down (or maybe it was 2nd, I don't remember) as a mistake only because of what transpired after that. The ran the play that thought gave them the best chance to score. Hell, maybe Dak should've gone into a slide at the 1 instead of scoring so more time could be taken off the clock.

If you don't score, make sure there is no time left for the guy the Cowboys cannot seem to stop with ANY time remaining. You would think after FIVE straight seasons of getting punked by the guy Garrett would figure that crap out. And the key to beating AR is to keep him off the field, can't keep passing the ball when the run is successfully killing GB.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If you don't score, make sure there is no time left for the guy the Cowboys cannot seem to stop with ANY time remaining. You would think after FIVE straight seasons of getting punked by the guy Garrett would figure that crap out. And the key to beating AR is to keep him off the field, can't keep passing the ball when the run is successfully killing GB.
:hammer:

JustChip

Reaction score

Hmm. So when you're behind your objective is to be sure you don't leave time for the other guy, that's already ahead anyway, to score more? Does that even make sense? No. When you're behind, the first objective is to score - period! If you don't do that, what does it matter if you left no time? Game over. You do what you think is the best way to score. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
Recall that rumors that Romo was installing the offense in weekly meetings in 2015. I wonder if the same was true in 2016. And then Romo gone in 2017, and the offense struggles.

I do not respect the performance of our coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball.

It’s exactly what happened and what I’ll put my money on. Romo is gone, even with the talent on the team, he was the one running the show. Someone will have to fill that void eventually, and I bet it won’t be garret. It should be a group efffort with all the offensive coaches.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Hmm. So when you're behind your objective is to be sure you don't leave time for the other guy, that's already ahead anyway, to score more? Does that even make sense? No. When you're behind, the first objective is to score - period! If you don't do that, what does it matter if you left no time? Game over. You do what you think is the best way to score. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Did you watch the last 2 seasons vs. GB. When were the Cowboys behind? They lost those games in the final seconds, c'mon Chip.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It’s exactly what happened and what I’ll put my money on. Romo is gone, even with the talent on the team, he was the one running the show. Someone will have to fill that void eventually, and I bet it won’t be garret. It should be a group efffort with all the offensive coaches.

I'm not sure that's what happened, but it's certainly plausible to me.

The hopeful theory is that Linehan wasn't truly in charge last year or prior, but now is this year. It's not that I'm that confident in Linehan, but that at least gives some hope for improvement this year.

Shinaoi

Reaction score
The theory that Linehan is handcuffed by garret seems to be accepted, and if they part of why I don’t like the situation. Hard to say though.

JustChip

Reaction score
Did you watch the last 2 seasons vs. GB. When were the Cowboys behind? They lost those games in the final seconds, c'mon Chip.
I've witnessed in person both the 2016 playoff game and the 2017 game.

They were behind in both, but the post I replied to was specifically talking about last season's regular season game. We were behind 28-24 coming out of the 2-minute warning. A field goal was a worthless as breasts on a boar hog. We needed a TD - period. Don't score a TD and it doesn't matter whether we left 1 second or 2 minutes on the clock. We lose either way. Oh, and by the way, we only were in a position to score the TD because we picked up a 4th and less than 1, but only by the thinnest of margins (well, not the thinnest, that was in Oakland) and a challenge overturn. They threw a pass to the zone on 2nd down that was incomplete. Everybody, their brother, dog and parakeet think we should've run there, but guess what, it was reasonable to think GB was thinking the same thing so a pass to the end zone to score the go ahead TD was reasonable.

Like I said, the post I responded to didn't reference 2016, but since you did, I'll address that one. We were behind twice in the 4th Qtr., 28-20 and then 31-28 with something like 30 seconds left. And even after tying it at that point, the defense did what they had to do - put GB in a 3rd and 20 that the only way they win the game is to pick up the first to be able to kick a long field goal. Their HoF QB made a outstanding throw and their non-HoF TE made an even more outstanding catch. And even after that, their kicker just barely snuck the ball inside the left upright.

Look, the debacle with Seattle is fair game, but complaining about the GB games is not.

DiResta

Reaction score
Maybe it's both Linehan and Garrett.
maybe it was Romo?
maybe until Romo was seriously injured with the back and not just collarbones and ribs/spleen, he preferred to pass rather than run?
maybe just like he describes from the booth where he sees favorable matchups and gets all giddy, he would do the same in-game?
maybe guys like Callahan or Linehan would call the 2 or 3 plays but Romo wouldnt want to hand the ball off? he did say that last year from the booth (i think during that terrible dolphins game)
once he was badly injured and couldnt take the hit, suddenly the run game was run run run
he and Garrett arent close. Garrett is a disciplinarian and control freak. think he liked Romo running things maybe differently than he wanted at times? i mean, it was pretty shocking when he basically benched Romo for Dak.
it worked out great of course, but everybody was waiting for Romo to come back. everybody except i guess some brass

maybe im wrong, i have no ill-will toward any of these people but it just makes way too much sense to me

as was mentioned elsewhere, Murray criticizes the offense that won him the rushing title (and Zeke too btw)
Dez was argued as good as Megatron in this system
other times its been historically bad
its the same system

Last edited:

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
maybe it was Romo?
maybe until Romo was seriously injured with the back and not just collarbones and ribs/spleen, he preferred to pass rather than run?
maybe just like he describes from the booth where he sees favorable matchups and gets all giddy, he would do the same in-game?
maybe guys like Callahan or Linehan would call the 2 or 3 plays but Romo wouldnt want to hand the ball off? he did say that last year from the booth (i think during that terrible dolphins game)
once he was badly injured and couldnt take the hit, suddenly the run game was run run run
he and Garrett arent close. Garrett is a disciplinarian and control freak. think he liked Romo running things maybe differently than he wanted at times? i mean, it was pretty shocking when he basically benched Romo for Dak.
it worked out great of course, but everybody was waiting for Romo to come back. everybody except i guess some brass

maybe im wrong, i have no ill-will toward any of these people but it just makes way too much sense to me

as was mentioned elsewhere, Murray criticizes the offense that won him the rushing title (and Zeke too btw)
Dez was argued as good as Megatron in this system
other times its been historically bad
its the same system
Don't know but I've criticized Romo for passing too much and his blunders too. Whoever was responsible the team needed a balanced team. Romo had his best year when they were running. Maybe they'll finally keep to the run now that they don't have any proven WR's.