Dez Bryant vs. Antonio Brown

robjay04

Reaction score
Dez isn't near the level of the top tier receivers like Antonio Brown, Julio Jones and A.J. Green. I'm not even sure he is in the top 10. Somewhere between 10 and 20 if you are realistic about it.

Dez is better than Green all day any day.

Dez was having a better career until injuries but Dez is still a touchdown hog.

This is another silly attempt to bash a contract, especially since Brown is being paid substantially more. Brown is the better player but he is half the receiver he is without Ben in the lineup (as many FF owners know). Julio likely wouldn't be the same without Ryan right away until he builds chemistry. Dez isn't the same without Romo but he did seem to be building chemistry with Dak as the season progressed. Hopefully that carries on to next season.

If Brown/Julio had to play with Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, Kellen Moore and a rookie the last two seasons...I would bet a million dollars there numbers will be on par with Dez. Receivers in general are so dependent on QB. Look att DeAndre Hopkins, easily top 10 in talent but he doesn't have a chance.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Accuracy is what you are describing, and it can't be taught..

No, I am talking about knowing where a receiver likes the ball. Dez likes a different ball location than say Witten, Beasley or especially TWill.

The ship questioning Dak's ability to place a ball sailed for me by November. Holding onto the draft time meme is an interesting choice though. I find it fascinating that football prospects get a first impression before they ever play a snap with their team.

erod

Reaction score
Interesting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ys-chemistry-with-landry-jones-will-be-better

In his appearances last year, the Steelers stripped down the playbook for Jones, wiping out much of the downfield plays. At times receivers became frustrated with Jones' accuracy troubles. After Jones had taken over versus the Arizona Cardinals, Antonio Brown threw a fit after a pass landed at his feet.
The All-Pro receiver hopes this time around things go differently.
"Obviously, it's frustrating not to have Ben out there, but you have to be positive and poised," Brown said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "We have to build Landry up. We can't be getting in his ear every play and saying 'I'm open.' Obviously, I know I'm going to draw a lot of double teams and a lot of different matchups. We have to keep him poised, create separation for him, make plays for him and keep him positive all game."

It's not just with Jones that Brown struggles to produce. In three games Ben Roethlisberger didn't start last season, Brown earned just 14 receptions for 190 yards and zero touchdowns.

Antonio Brown with Big Ben, since 2013: 50 games, 11.0 targets per game, 8.0 receptions per game, 105.6 receiving YPG, 36 receiving TDs.
Antonio Brown without Big Ben, since 2013: 4 games, 7.8 targets per game, 4.3 receptions per game, 58.8 receiving YPG, 0 receiving TDs

So without Roethlisberger, Brown averaged 5 catches for 65 yards per game.

Last year without Romo, Dez averaged 4 catches for 61 yards per game.

Thank you.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dez is better than Green all day any day.

Dez was having a better career until injuries but Dez is still a touchdown hog.

This is another silly attempt to bash a contract, especially since Brown is being paid substantially more. Brown is the better player but he is half the receiver he is without Ben in the lineup (as many FF owners know). Julio likely wouldn't be the same without Ryan right away until he builds chemistry. Dez isn't the same without Romo but he did seem to be building chemistry with Dak as the season progressed. Hopefully that carries on to next season.

If Brown/Julio had to play with Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, Kellen Moore and a rookie the last two seasons...I would bet a million dollars there numbers will be on par with Dez. Receivers in general are so dependent on QB. Look att DeAndre Hopkins, easily top 10 in talent but he doesn't have a chance.
Like you said injuries played a huge part of Dez numbers. I think he came on the last half of the season cause he is fully healthy, plus Dak progressed and they got comfortable with each other.

Other guys like Brown, Julio and Odell get tons of targets all game. Dez does more with less targets.

If Dez played with Ryan, Ben or Eli his stats would be better then Brown, Julio and Odell

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Dez Bryant contract ---5yr $70m

Antonio Brown---- 4yr $68 M extension

Antonio Brown is the co-record holder for most consecutive seasons with 100 or more receptions in a year at 4 with Marvin Harrison. Dez contract averages $14 million per year. If my math is right, Brown is getting paid $17 Million per year and is the highest paid receiver in the NFL.

Considering that Dez was signed before the 2015 season and revenues have gone up substantially since then (increased salary cap) even if Dez were as good as Brown the Brown contract would probably be a bargain compared to Dez, but based on production and quality of player, Dez isn't remotely in Brown's league currently.

Dez' contract is a relatively bad contract cap wise for the team. I hope we are more judicious going forward.
Nobody had Brown better than Dez at the time he signed his extension. Unfortunately Dez has battles injuries and plays in a run heavy scheme that has had qb turmoil.

We're lucky to have Dez.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Dez played with Ryan, Ben or Eli his stats would be better then Brown, Julio and Odell

Romo has been more productive than all three of those QBs over his career and Dez has never had more yards and catches in a single season than Brown, Julio or OBJ despite playing 4 full seasons with him.

blumayne38

Reaction score
No, I am talking about knowing where a receiver likes the ball. Dez likes a different ball location than say Witten, Beasley or especially TWill.

The ship questioning Dak's ability to place a ball sailed for me by November. Holding onto the draft time meme is an interesting choice though. I find it fascinating that football prospects get a first impression before they ever play a snap with their team.
Yeah dez has a much bigger catch radius then all of those recievers including ab

blumayne38

Reaction score
Romo has been more productive than all three of those QBs over his career and Dez has never had more yards and catches in a single season than Brown, Julio or OBJ.
Because he dosent get as many targets what don't you undrstand? And has better stats and more TDs which is what it comes down to. What are you trying to say or do? Whatever it is its not working...

Proof

Reaction score
Antonio Brown is the best receiver in the league. He's in the conversation for best player in the league. It's no slight to Dez to say he's not as good, as he's still one of the best receivers in the league.

In my opinion it's AB and Julio, then Odell, and then Dez and AJ Green.

AJ and Julio also suffer from the injury bug and "disappearing"

Odell is a head case and has droughts and monster performances

Antonio has the consistency, durability and targets to be unrivaled.

Dez had more tds than all of them, on a run first team that uses him to command attention and doesn't force the ball.

He's elite, he's top 5, he hasn't returned on investment, and he's not as good as AB or Julio.

All true

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Forget what? That Dez only runs three routes, drops tons of balls, and gets hurt all the time?

Brown is significantly better than Dez.
If Brown was in our offense and didn't get 3 to 4 screen passes a game and was asked to block more often and got 30 to 40 fewer targets a season I wonder if you'd say this.

Doubtful.

The Natural

Reaction score
And lets end the myth of AB being the best Wr in the game. That fool no showed when it mattered most on top of making his team look like a bunch of clowns. Julio is the best

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Because he dosent get as many targets what don't you undrstand? And has better stats and more TDs which is what it comes down to. What are you trying to say or do? Whatever it is its not working...

He doesn't get as many targets because he doesn't get open like those receivers, what don't you understand? He doesn't have the speed those receivers have. He had more TD's prior to 2015 but not more yards and catches. It's clear what I'm saying, Dez isn't as productive as he was and will never be with Dak at QB. Dak spreads the ball around and throws to the open receivers. He's not going to take his many chances down the field to Dez like Romo did because he's not a gunslinger.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Antonio Brown is the best receiver in the league. He's in the conversation for best player in the league. It's no slight to Dez to say he's not as good, as he's still one of the best receivers in the league.

In my opinion it's AB and Julio, then Odell, and then Dez and AJ Green.

AJ and Julio also suffer from the injury bug and "disappearing"

Odell is a head case and has droughts and monster performances

Antonio has the consistency, durability and targets to be unrivaled.

Dez had more tds than all of them, on a run first team that uses him to command attention and doesn't force the ball.

He's elite, he's top 5, he hasn't returned on investment, and he's not as good as AB or Julio.

All true
What makes Brown, Julio and Odell better then Dez?

erod

Reaction score
If Brown was in our offense and didn't get 3 to 4 screen passes a game and was asked to block more often and got 30 to 40 fewer targets a season I wonder if you'd say this.

Doubtful.

With his route running ability (he runs the whole tree beautifully), he'd get those targets here, too.

He doesn't come with Dez' limitations.

kumizi

Reaction score
Julio Jones and Antonio Brown are in their own league.

Next tier is Odell Beckham, AJ Green, and maybe you could argue a couple other guys like Mike Evans

Dez is in that 3rd tier with Demariyus Thomas, Alshon Jeffery, Brandon Marshall, etc.

yards > TDs. I'd rather have the guy that gets 100yds a game rather than 70 even if the 70 guy has more TDs because his team likes to throw him the ball 1st and goal at 2yd line.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Dez isn't near the level of the top tier receivers like Antonio Brown, Julio Jones and A.J. Green. I'm not even sure he is in the top 10. Somewhere between 10 and 20 if you are realistic about it.
Dez was having... what cannot be argued against... One of the 5 best starts to a receiving career in history.

You have qb upheaval and injuries and suddenly someone says he is only top 10-20. That means they are willing to entertain that there are 19 guys better than Dez and at LEAST 9 who are without question better than Dez.

Shameful.

erod

Reaction score
Dez was having... what cannot be argued against... One of the 5 best starts to a receiving career in history.

You have qb upheaval and injuries and suddenly someone says he is only top 10-20. That means they are willing to entertain that there are 19 guys better than Dez and at LEAST 9 who are without question better than Dez.

Shameful.

Or.....his production was amplified beyond his top 10-20 ability by a quarterback who knew how to use him perfectly.

Just like Romo did, to a lesser extent, with Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, Patrick Crayton, and Terrance Williams. Romo made multi-millionaires out of those pedestrian receivers.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Or.....his production was amplified beyond his top 10-20 ability by a quarterback who knew how to use him perfectly.

Just like Romo did, to a lesser extent, with Miles Austin, Laurent Robinson, Patrick Crayton, and Terrance Williams. Romo made multi-millionaires out of those pedestrian receivers.
That's a weak sauce argument because none of those players were elevated to being a top 20 WR.

50 catches for less than 700 yards was the high water mark for Crayton.
He averaged 35 ypg in Dallas and 33 yards per game in San Diego.

Miles' career followed a predictable arc. He was a great athlete that took years ot grasp nuances and stay healthy and catch the friggin ball.
Had a couple great seasons than fell off.
He averaged 42 yards per game as aCowboy, 47 as a Brown.

Laurent Robinson is the one legit example and he got all those yards as the wide open 2 while Dez drew coverage; then got paid and got hurt.

Dez is hard to tackle no matter who throws him the football. He outmuscles CBs and safeties regularly. Has nothing to do with the QB.