Dez Bryant vs. Antonio Brown

blumayne38

Reaction score
Antonio Brown is the best receiver in the league. He's in the conversation for best player in the league. It's no slight to Dez to say he's not as good, as he's still one of the best receivers in the league.

In my opinion it's AB and Julio, then Odell, and then Dez and AJ Green.

AJ and Julio also suffer from the injury bug and "disappearing"

Odell is a head case and has droughts and monster performances

Antonio has the consistency, durability and targets to be unrivaled.

Dez had more tds than all of them, on a run first team that uses him to command attention and doesn't force the ball.

He's elite, he's top 5, he hasn't returned on investment, and he's not as good as AB or Julio.

All true
AB actually kicked someone on the field...and got glorified for it lol

blumayne38

Reaction score
That's a weak sauce argument because none of those players were elevated to being a top 20 WR.

50 catches for less than 700 yards was the high water mark for Crayton.
He averaged 35 ypg in Dallas and 33 yards per game in San Diego.

Miles' career followed a predictable arc. He was a great athlete that took years ot grasp nuances and stay healthy and catch the friggin ball.
Had a couple great seasons than fell off.
He averaged 42 yards per game as aCowboy, 47 as a Brown.

Laurent Robinson is the one legit example and he got all those yards as the wide open 2 while Dez drew coverage; then got paid and got hurt.

Dez is hard to tackle no matter who throws him the football. He outmuscles CBs and safeties regularly. Has nothing to do with the QB.
It's laughable. None I repeat non of those WR are even close to Dez Bryant as far as abilities speed, strength, hands anything at all...dez bryant makes great catches out of horrible throws AB is a glorified Percy Harvin give me doug Baldwin before AB

blumayne38

Reaction score
Romo has been more productive than all three of those QBs over his career and Dez has never had more yards and catches in a single season than Brown, Julio or OBJ despite playing 4 full seasons with him.
Yards catches who cares?? Lol give me TDs over yards and catches any day...are you kidding?

perrykemp

Reaction score
Yards catches who cares?? Lol give me TDs over yards and catches any day...are you kidding?

Typically a team doesn't score TDs unless they can matriculate themselves down to the field and get in the red zone. Most of the time you don't ever get to the red zone and score TDs without 'yards' and 'catches'.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Works both ways.

True. But I think we're more partial to larger numbers, especially when they're favorable.
I mean, a guy making $50,000 a year can make a dollar stretch more than a guy making $500,000. But we're going to be more impressed with the $500,000 salary and what it can do vs. the $50,000 and how it can be stretched. ;)

Last edited:

blumayne38

Reaction score
Typically a team doesn't score TDs unless they can matriculate themselves down to the field and get in the red zone. Most of the time you don't ever get to the red zone and score TDs without 'yards' and 'catches'.
Give me TDs big time gimme TDs..you can "matriculate" all you want if you don't get it in you ain't nothin..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Yards and catches keep the chains moving and lead to TD's. Both OBJ and Brown have each had around a dozen more TD's than Dez the past two seasons.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
in fairness you could easily argue Dez is the best blocker of the bunch and more responsible for matriculation than given credit when one just measures catches or yards.

robjay04

Reaction score
That's a weak sauce argument because none of those players were elevated to being a top 20 WR.

50 catches for less than 700 yards was the high water mark for Crayton.
He averaged 35 ypg in Dallas and 33 yards per game in San Diego.

Miles' career followed a predictable arc. He was a great athlete that took years ot grasp nuances and stay healthy and catch the friggin ball.
Had a couple great seasons than fell off.
He averaged 42 yards per game as aCowboy, 47 as a Brown.

Laurent Robinson is the one legit example and he got all those yards as the wide open 2 while Dez drew coverage; then got paid and got hurt.

Dez is hard to tackle no matter who throws him the football. He outmuscles CBs and safeties regularly. Has nothing to do with the QB.

I am all for arguing how great Dez is but I can't agree with your last paragraph.

Romo and Dez did have great chemistry. Romo made Dez better, Dez made Romo better.

Antonio Brown is a shadow of himself when Ben goes down. AJ Green is a shadow of himself without Dalton.

This doesn't mean that the quarterbacks make those receivers, Green and Brown would just need time to develop chemistry with another QB. Dak and Dez didn't practice a lot together...I believe it took until December for them to develop chemistry. This excites me about next season with Dez.

Plumfool

Reaction score
Drafted same year one is in the top 50 in career touchdown receptions the other is at 119 with 17 less scores.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Ohok..So, we factoring variables and not the constants Dez and Brown. How many games in the last two season did Dez play over 70% healthy? Also, if Tony Romo would have been QB this year how many defenses would have stacked the box to stop the run a majority of the time even with an unhealthy Dez. How many games has Brown played with a broken finger? Dez has at least 8 games. How many games has Brown played with a back up QB that wasn't capable of starting for another team? Maybe 5 to 8 games tops. Dez has 17 games. So, I see your point but still at the end of the day Dez Bryant has 14 more TDs in about 150 less targets than Brown. Am I saying Dez is better than Brown? No, I'm not. I'm just pointing out to these Dez Downers that he is way better than they want to give him credit for.

Just saying :)

What you just did was give me "What ifs". I gave you "actuals".
An actual trumps a hypothetical all the time.
Just saying. ;)

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Or.....his production was amplified beyond his top 10-20 ability by a quarterback who knew how to use him perfectly.

You mean... like how..... Ben knows how to use Brown?

And its hilarious you consider "best knows how to use Dez"... Which equates to knowing that even if Dez looks covered he isn't.... As if that's insulting to Dez's talent.

Just stop.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
With his route running ability (he runs the whole tree beautifully), he'd get those targets here, too.

He doesn't come with Dez' limitations.
But somehow without Ben he catches 5 balls for just 65 yards.

What happened to no limitations?

robjay04

Reaction score
The past two seasons he has fewer yards, catches and TD's than Brown and OBJ.

And he also has played less games and has played with five different quarterbacks.

OBJ has had the same guy every snap, Brown struggles without Ben. Every receiver in the NFL would struggle without their starting QB.

And yes Brown and OBJ are probably better football players than Dez. Not many here are disputing that. This thread was created to whine about his clntract(by the same guy who whines about all contracts). I am sure even you can admit a lot of Dez's problems have been a revolving door at quarterback and injuries.

If the injuries keep piling up...it's a problem. I suspect Dez and Dak to come out on the same page next season after a training camp together and how they clicked late in the season. Dez was the best player on the football field against Green Bay...If Dak's last pass wasn't tipped, Dez very well had a walk in, game winning touchdown.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
And he also has played less games and has played with five different quarterbacks.

OBJ has had the same guy every snap, Brown struggles without Ben. Every receiver in the NFL would struggle without their starting QB.

And yes Brown and OBJ are probably better football players than Dez. Not many here are disputing that. This thread was created to whine about his clntract(by the same guy who whines about all contracts). I am sure even you can admit a lot of Dez's problems have been a revolving door at quarterback and injuries.

If the injuries keep piling up...it's a problem. I suspect Dez and Dak to come out on the same page next season after a training camp together and how they clicked late in the season. Dez was the best player on the football field against Green Bay...If Dak's last pass wasn't tipped, Dez very well had a walk in, game winning touchdown.

Injuries clearly have affected him as well as transitioning to a new QB. It's all lead to him not being the productive player he was but the QB he was playing with was one of the best in the league this past season. The thread is titled Dez Bryant vs Antonio Brown and Brown is the better receiver.

robjay04

Reaction score
But somehow without Ben he catches 5 balls for just 65 yards.

What happened to no limitations?

In 4 games in 2015 without Ben, he had 17 catches, 235 yards and zero touchdowns. 41 one of those yards came in one catch.

Brown is an outstanding receiver but his numbers would've suffered tremendously if he was in the same position as Dez the past two years.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dez isn't near the level of the top tier receivers like Antonio Brown, Julio Jones and A.J. Green. I'm not even sure he is in the top 10. Somewhere between 10 and 20 if you are realistic about it.
2015 dez was doing good to be in top 100
2016 dez was in top 40 in td's I think, but top 100 in other stats.
Not even close to the top 10 guys

I havent seen brown play much so cant say about him. Julio I have seen , and he is better than dez.
Next year dez should be healthy etc, so we can see how he does then.

robjay04

Reaction score
Injuries clearly have affected him as well as transitioning to a new QB. It's all lead to him not being the productive player he was but the QB he was playing with was one of the best in the league this past season. The thread is titled Dez Bryant vs Antonio Brown and Brown is the better receiver.

The QB he was playing with last season was one of the best due to his efficiency, not delivering the ball to his outside receivers. He improved as the season went on in that regard. I think the fact that Dak and Dez didn't practice together much due to injuries and Dak being the backup also hurt their chemistry.

I feel the purpose of the thread is more to whine a contract. I'm pretty sure this is the same guy who made the Witten versus Gronk thread a few weeks ago.