DMN Blog: Campo at the Ranch

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1930593 said:
under your reasoning, Holmgren, Reid and Shanahan are all just glorified OCs who get to do pressers.

Im sorry but I have a hard time believing that Wade would be agianst bringing in Houck. He may have prefered Solari but that doesnt mean he was against Houck.

I bet you listen to Galloway's show every day.

Dude, holmgren built seattle he was the gm until 2 years ago.

Andy reid is the vice president of personell, him and lurie and joe whats his face make the decisions with reid's usually being the most important. I know that reid is the last one to watch tape on college players and the last one to give his opinions on who to draft and they are the most important opinions.

I am not exactly sure how denver is setup, but um something tells me Mike Shannahan has alot of pull with the gm and the front office.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
It's gotta feel weird coming back to a place as an assistant after you were their former head coach.

Actually it would also be weird for Campo (someone with head coaching experience) to work under Brian Stewart, who I believe coached DBs in San Deigo and only finished year 1 as a coordinator.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theebs;1930601 said:
Dude, holmgren built seattle he was the gm until 2 years ago.

Andy reid is the vice president of personell, him and lurie and joe whats his face make the decisions with reid's usually being the most important. I know that reid is the last one to watch tape on college players and the last one to give his opinions on who to draft and they are the most important opinions.

I am not exactly sure how denver is setup, but um something tells me Mike Shannahan has alot of pull with the gm and the front office.

Ahh another Galloway daily listener.

Im not talking about personnell. Im talking about the relationship they have with their DCs.

Holmgren had success in Green Bay and Settle with Ray Rhodes running the show on defense. Holmgren had little input on those matters. This is widely known and accepted.

Same goes with Reid and Johnson.

Shanahan used to let Greg Robinson do what he needed to on defense as he stated he had little expertise on the matter.

There is no question that there are two different camps at VR. The question is whether or not that is a bad thing.

Wade is good at defense. Garrett is suposedly good at offense. They both handle there business and the model has garnered Super Bowls and Conference Championships in the process.

The only difference is that in those circumstances it was the offense that got the big tag and here its the defense.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
CowboyManDan;1930608 said:
It's gotta feel weird coming back to a place as an assistant after you were their former head coach.

Actually it would also be weird for Campo (someone with head coaching experience) to work under Brian Stewart, who I believe coached DBs in San Deigo and only finished year 1 as a coordinator.

It might feel wierd, however, familiarity often times breed success. ;) And from what I know everyone is seems to know each other very well.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1930613 said:
Ahh another Galloway daily listener.

Im not talking about personnell. Im talking about the relationship they have with their DCs.

Holmgren had success in Green Bay and Settle with Ray Rhodes running the show on defense. Holmgren had little input on those matters. This is widely known and accepted.

Same goes with Reid and Johnson.

Shanahan used to let Greg Robinson do what he needed to on defense as he stated he had little expertise on the matter.

There is no question that there are two different camps at VR. The question is whether or not that is a bad thing.

Wade is good at defense. Garrett is suposedly good at offense. They both handle there business and the model has garnered Super Bowls and Conference Championships in the process.

The only difference is that in those circumstances it was the offense that got the big tag and here its the defense.

If I listen to Randy galloway 15 minutes a week that is alot. So try again.

and umm, holmgren was the packers, he was everything they were about, maybe he didnt participate in the x's and o's of the defense but that doesnt matter. Same thing with reid and shannahan.

They are just bad examples. And holmgren most certainly hired the coaches in seattle until he was stripped of his duties 2 years ago and something tells me Andy Reid has a big say in hiring coaches in philly too.

and by the way didnt the eagles hire otis smith to run their secondary today? Howcome they weren't chomping at the bit to hire Dave Campo position coach extrodinaire? the answer is pretty obvious.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
theebs;1930618 said:

and umm, holmgren was the packers, he was everything they were about, maybe he didnt participate in the x's and o's of the defense but that doesnt matter. Same thing with reid and shannahan.

They are just bad examples. And holmgren most certainly hired the coaches in seattle until he was stripped of his duties 2 years ago and something tells me Andy Reid has a big say in hiring coaches in philly too.

and by the way didnt the eagles hire otis smith to run their secondary today? Howcome they weren't chomping at the bit to hire Dave Campo position coach extrodinaire? the answer is pretty obvious.

Come on, theebs...you just contradicted yourself! :cool:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
theebs;1930618 said:

Come on, theebs, the fact that the Eagles hired Otis Smith does not devalue Campo as a coach at all. Pretty shoddy logic there.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
theebs;1930618 said:

Holmgren did better when he was forced by Wolf to not have complete autonomy and had Rhodes run the defense. Seattle floundered until he finally relented and allowed Rhodes to run his defense in 2003. It a perfect example of how a specialized coach like Holmgren or Phillips or Reid concentrates on what he does best.

And if you think that everything on that Philly defense doesnt run trhough Johnson first and foremost then youre just not paying attention. I could really care less what tells you anything.

Oh and I hope you realize that Otis Smith used toplay for the bloody Eagles over two different stints. IDK maybe that has something to do with it.

Say what you want about Campo but the Jax defense was top 9 or better in passer rating and picks during his tenure. hes a dishrag and hes an awful HC but those are good numbers especially when your defensive ends average a combined 10 or so sacks a season.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1930144 said:
Campo at the Ranch

12:11 PM Mon, Jan 28, 2008 | Permalink
Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

Jacksonville Jaguars assistant head coach Dave Campo has arrived at Valley Ranch, and is spending the day interviewing with the coaching staff about the vacant secondary coach position.

Campo was granted permission on Friday to speak with the Cowboys, after Jacksonville hired Donnie Henderson, who expected to coach the secondary that Campo oversaw last season.

Even if a decision is made, an announcement may not come until after the Super Bowl, as clubs typically delay those things in deference to the league's big show. But Campo's arrival in Texas would seem to be a strong sign of interest on both sides.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (2) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

SIGHHHH

speedkilz88

Reaction score
CowboyManDan;1930608 said:

Campo just got through coaching under Del Rio a former player for the Cowboys. Can't get any weirder than that.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
5Stars;1930623 said:
Come on, theebs...you just contradicted yourself! :cool:

I did, how? were you under the impression Mike Holmgren called the plays on defense too?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1930626 said:
Holmgren did better when he was forced by Wolf to not have complete autonomy and had Rhodes run the defense. Seattle floundered until he finally relented and allowed Rhodes to run his defense in 2003. It a perfect example of how a specialized coach like Holmgren or Phillips or Reid concentrates on what he does best.

And if you think that everything on that Philly defense doesnt run trhough Johnson first and foremost then youre just not paying attention. I could really care less what tells you anything.

Oh and I hope you realize that Otis Smith used toplay for the bloody Eagles over two different stints. IDK maybe that has something to do with it.

Say what you want about Campo but the Jax defense was top 9 or better in passer rating and picks during his tenure. hes a dishrag and hes an awful HC but those are good numbers especially when your defensive ends average a combined 10 or so sacks a season.

wow you are really defensive about Dave Campo.

Do you think Jerry forced a single coach on Parcells? I sure dont and looked how that turned out, the coaches that have been brought in here since parcells in 03 have been in demand all over. Think campo is in demand? Think the players dont realize whats up at some point? Dont you think that could be bad for the future?

and as far as everything in philly being run through johnson, of course he is an intrical part. However the decision makers in philly are Andy reid and joe banner. Of course johnsons input is essential.

That is different than wade taking a back seat to jerry if jerry wants wade.

all of this is based on pure speculation. If wade feels that campo is the best or all there is then that is fine. However I cant imagine that is the case.

Yes i know who otis smith is.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;1930525 said:
Some of the Jerrah defenders need to get some perspective as do the Jerrah haters. Jimmy Johnson made most of the personel decisions that built the championship teams. Jerrah made the personel decisions in the long slow decline from 96 to 02. He got desperate enough to give a great deal of control to BP to rebuild. Now we once again are a contender and loaded with talent; we will get to see if Jerrah has learned to listen to the football pros.

I totally agree with you.

I don't know what the future holds. I just know that the way Jerry is starting to operate now is similar to how he operated in the late '90's and into the 2000's.

How many of Bill's assistants did Jerry bring in here while Bill was here?
Some say he learned from his past and has changed since '03. If that's the case, then how come he's now hiring assistants when he didn't do that the four years BP was here? Could it be that once BP left Jerry went right back to being large and in charge again?

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
windward;1930624 said:
Come on, theebs, the fact that the Eagles hired Otis Smith does not devalue Campo as a coach at all. Pretty shoddy logic there.

yeah I admit that is, but dont you think they would be interested if he was this great secondary coach?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
theebs;1930677 said:
I did, how? were you under the impression Mike Holmgren called the plays on defense too?

Actually, theebs...what anyone has done before, or what they can do in the future means nothing...but like team work stuff? Oh yeah....

;)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bach;1930682 said:
I totally agree with you.

I don't know what the future holds. I just know that the way Jerry is starting to operate now is similar to how he operated in the late '90's and into the 2000's.

How many of Bill's assistants did Jerry bring in here while Bill was here?
Some say he learned from his past and has changed since '03. If that's the case, then how come he's now hiring assistants when he didn't do that the four years BP was here? Could it be that once BP left Jerry went right back to being large and in charge again?

You know something, Bach...I agree with you now...you said it so well!

:cry: Thanks for making me cry!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
theebs;1930681 said:
wow you are really defensive about Dave Campo.

Do you think Jerry forced a single coach on Parcells? I sure dont and looked how that turned out, the coaches that have been brought in here since parcells in 03 have been in demand all over. Think campo is in demand? Think the players dont realize whats up at some point? Dont you think that could be bad for the future?

and as far as everything in philly being run through johnson, of course he is an intrical part. However the decision makers in philly are Andy reid and joe banner. Of course johnsons input is essential.

That is different than wade taking a back seat to jerry if jerry wants wade.

all of this is based on pure speculation. If wade feels that campo is the best or all there is then that is fine. However I cant imagine that is the case.

Yes i know who otis smith is.
Does the name Mike Zimmer ring a bell?:lmao2:

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1930695 said:
Does the name Mike Zimmer ring a bell?:lmao2:

I've always wondered about Zimmer, and how Jerry threw a load of money at him to keep him from taking the Nebraska job. And then when we switched to the 3-4 we still kept Zimmer.

I don't deny there's a strong possibility Jerry forced BP to keep Zimmer here.

I do know though that Jerry didn't hire any of the assistants in four years that were brought in here from the outside. Can the same be said in the last year?
Jerry hired 3-4 last year alone. Now Houck and possibly Campo.

How anyone can claim Jerry is doing the same now as he did when BP was here is beyond me. It's not even close.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm still not convinced we won't see Ernie Zampese brought in some consulting capacity.

... with Wade's complete and total blessing, I'm sure.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
theebs;1930683 said:
yeah I admit that is, but dont you think they would be interested if he was this great secondary coach?
They may or may not. Different teams have different targets and may prefer some qualified candidates over other equally qualified candidates. That happens not everybody has the same ideas or criteria in hiring coaches.

One thing I do know is, Campo has not wanted for a job in this league. Ever since he's entered the league he has not gone a season without a job. He also has coached some very good pass defenses.

I think he'll do fine in Dallas if hired based on his past as a db coach here and elsewhere.