CZ POLL Do you want the Cowboys to sign Earl Thomas?

Do you want the Cowboys to sign Earl Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Zeke has done his share of boneheaded things, in fact so has Dak. But you give more leeway to people who are already part of the family than just bringing in someone who can be a problem. As with Zeke has there been any locker room stuff or on the field things besides jumping into the salvation army collection pot?

Family? Quite dramatic don't you think? And what has Dak done? Jumping in a collection box is far from the worst thing that Zeke has done.

Punching a team mate, although troubling, would not be enough to deter me from signing one of the best safeties of all time at the biggest area of need for us. And considering we already lost a huge piece in McCoy, I definitely take the risk.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
what teammate has Zeke gotten into it with, I will wait for your answer

Its Zeke's off the field issues that have been his problem. Although holding out, getting drunk in Cabo while your teammates sweat in training camp isn't exactly leadership material. Two years left on your agreement. Then coming in out of shape.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Earl Thomas. He flipped the bird to his own teammates with another team and got into a slugfest with two more lately in separate incidents. If Mike McCarthy and the FO deems it acceptable to acquire him, I'll deal with it. I believe our HC is leery of someone with Earl's current mindset. I'm afraid it could easily be damaging to this team's upper echelon relations if the FO were to override MM. Obviously, McCarthy doesn't want to put his team's good chemistry at risk. I can't say as I blame him for that. It only takes one bad apple to spoil things for the rest and to cause dissention. (jmho)

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
With the information that is available it's a big yes from me.

I'm trying to win football games and we desperately need some quality at that position.

Kareemovweet

Reaction score
Hellz to the nahh... Just hearing some of his ex-teamates talk, and both Bird teams let him walk.. don't need that crap in the locker room..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I literally saw it earlier in the post.

Edit: Even in the post you responded to I quoted the guy that said it. Not trying to call him out because others in this post have a similar outlook.
You're right. I didn't read the post closely. My mistake.

That said, I don't think that's a commonly held belief. I think most believe that regardless of whether Thomas is as good as he once was, he still is a clearly better player than we have. Cost and other baggage are really the concerns

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think Mike McCarthy has legitimate causes for concern. This version of the Cowboys is more closely knit group than they've been many years in the past. Jeopardizing that would be a mistake that causes dissention and distraction. Too many of us are focusing on what we'd like to believe, rather than what recent evidence reveals. If McCarthy, allows the FO to change things, dissention and distraction might easily become a pervasive factor. Be very careful what you wish for. There's a reason why the Ravens sent him packing, make no mistake. Besides, we're more than one player away from a SB.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm only interested in Earl if he's dropped his stupid salary demands.

Flamma

Reaction score
Its Zeke's off the field issues that have been his problem. Although holding out, getting drunk in Cabo while your teammates sweat in training camp isn't exactly leadership material. Two years left on your agreement. Then coming in out of shape.

Agree with everything except the 2 year part. Any player can do that after the 3rd year of their rookie contract, 5th year option or not. That doesn't excuse the rest of course.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think Mike McCarthy has legitimate causes for concern. This version of the Cowboys is more closely knit group than they've been many years in the past. Jeopardizing that would be a mistake that causes dissention and distraction. Too many of us are focusing on what we'd like to believe, rather than what recent evidence reveals. If McCarthy, allows the FO to change things, dissention and distraction might easily become a pervasive factor. Be very careful what you wish for. There's a reason why the Ravens sent him packing, make no mistake. Besides, we're more than one player away from a SB.

I disagree. I think ET at the level he played last year puts us in position to be able to get a bye. I thought we were in position to win the division once they added Everson Griffen. Now we're hearing Trysten Hill might actually be able to contribute this season. I think an upgrade at safety would give us as much a shot as anyone in the NFC. As for the locker room concerns I feel like he would be on his best behavior in Dallas since this is were he wanted to play. He just went to the Ravens for the money. I'm all for bringing him in as long as there is little guaranteed money. If he acts up, cut him. Pats basically did the same thing with Antonio Brown. They brought him in and he was there like a week. That didn't destroy the Pats.

Flamma

Reaction score
He could always go to the Eagles. Philly is the city of brotherly love after all. A perfect fit.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Agree with everything except the 2 year part. Any player can do that after the 3rd year of their rookie contract, 5th year option or not. That doesn't excuse the rest of course.

Sure they can do whatever they want, but I don't have to like it. And really, how many players do you see holding out two years before their rookie contract is up? Not many. They all agreed to the collective bargaining agreement and what that entailed. Which was cheaper labor for 4 years and 5 years for first round picks. Its not like he was getting paid peanuts either.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
BTW.....Just a reminder, we chased Earl for over 15 months, even offering the Seahawks a 2nd round pick. They refused to trade or release him. Forcing him to the final year of his deal which he missed almost the entire season with an injury. As a free agent, he was determined to be the highest-paid NFL safety WITH OR WITHOUT the Cowboys, which led to his contract with the Ravens. The lesson of the post.....he chose $$$$ over signing with his favorite team. Greed can be tricky..

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article227568624.html

He verbally agreed to a deal with the Chiefs - they were even sending a private jet to go get him - but backed out of it when the Ravens offered more money.

So instead of being part of a Super Bowl champion, this was his playoff experience last season.

Flamma

Reaction score
Sure they can do whatever they want, but I don't have to like it. And really, how many players do you see holding out two years before their rookie contract is up? Not many. They all agreed to the collective bargaining agreement and what that entailed. Which was cheaper labor for 4 years and 5 years for first round picks. Its not like he was getting paid peanuts either.

He didn't circumvent his contract holding out for an extention. Not to say that wasn't a dick move hold out, but he still had to play out the last two years.

I'm not sure how many players hold out. But if they do I would assume it would be after year 3. Two years left on the contract or not. That really makes no difference.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
LOL, I said it first. You can agree ET is not coming to Dallas as long as we disagree why that is. Goodbye to your crazy talk.

Wait, I thought you were going to "destroy" my argument!! In fact, when I suggested a debate, you stomped your feet even harder. Oh well, as always, it's been hilarious talking to you.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Let's ignore the contract details and assume that it is a fair market contract but with favorable terms for the Cowboys.

There are fights in training camp every year on just about every team so if a team first tries to trade a player that was once an All Pro but got no takers and then cuts that player for a punch that should send up all sorts of red f;lags that maybe he's not that good anymore and/or is a head case now. again if he was still so good, a team would have picked him up the day he was cut.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Wait, I thought you were going to "destroy" my argument!! You didn't answer my questions on who we have that is better than ET, by the way. Oh well, as always, it's been hilarious talking to you.
I didn't anticipate you agreeing with me. Your question is so ridiculous I didn't think you really wanted an answer. ET is not a well person so any DB the Cowboys put out there can do better than ET in his reduced capacity to be a welcomed teammate. You don't seem to understand he is no longer the same guy. Your imagined elevated view of him kills your argument.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
I didn't anticipate you agreeing with me. Your question is so ridiculous I didn't think you really wanted an answer. ET is not a well person so any DB the Cowboys put out there can do better than ET in his reduced capacity to be a welcomed teammate. You don't seem to understand he is no longer the same guy. Your imagined elevated view of him kills your argument.

Wait, wait, wait...so now asking who we have that is better than ET is a ludicrous question? So, that means you can't answer it? Again, literally nobody here has said ET is the same player he was 5 years ago, but that he is still better than anyone we have. You can say he's crazy and therefore can't play, but he literally just did play and went to another Pro Bowl. Yeah, he might be a jerk, but if he can hold it together for 16 games and help us in a SB or bust season on a TF deal. You do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.