Does Dak have a low football IQ?

SackMaster

Reaction score
0 timeouts and less than 30 seconds on 2nd down.

This isn’t even a debate bud.

Recognizing pressure is part of football. It’s the #1 thing he had to recognize in that situation.
Recognizing pressure is being able to spot and anticipate a player coming free due to a blitz, twist, or some other tactic that your Oline, TEs or RBs might miss.

Your OT getting beat in ~1 second from a normal passrush isn't a "recognition" issue, it is a blocking issue.
:laugh:

kskboys

Reaction score
Recognizing pressure is being able to spot and anticipate a player coming free due to a blitz, twist, or some other tactic that your Oline, TEs or RBs might miss.

Your OT getting beat in ~1 second from a normal passrush isn't a "recognition" issue, it is a blocking issue.
It is a blocking issue also, one that a QB must recognize and account for when facing top notch NFL D's. This is why Dak often fails in the playoffs, he's just not able to adjust on the fly.

Yes, this one would've been very difficult for any QB to adjust to. However, anyone who watches a lot of NFL games(I do) will see this exact play w/ the topnotch QBs getting rid of the ball.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

He has to see it and get rid of the ball.

If you knew what you were talking about at all this wouldn’t even be a debate.

McCarthy is 100% telling him that and Dak knows that.

He made a massive mistake. It’s just football common sense.

SackMaster

Reaction score
It is a blocking issue also, one that a QB must recognize and account for when facing top notch NFL D's. This is why Dak often fails in the playoffs, he's just not able to adjust on the fly.

Yes, this one would've been very difficult for any QB to adjust to. However, anyone who watches a lot of NFL games(I do) will see this exact play w/ the topnotch QBs getting rid of the ball.
Sure, sometimes QBs can get rid of the ball if their OT gives up pressure that fast. But I believe 99% of the time it is due to the QB looking in the direction that the pressure is coming from first.

Now you want to say Dak should have been looking that way first. Fine. I can live with that. I have no argument for or against since I don't know the playcall, progression, ect.

Again, it was a straight 4 man rush with everyone else dropping into coverage. The OLine CANNOT collapse that quickly in that situation.

Therefore if the QB was progressing through the play like he should have, and the pressure comes from the opposite side of where his progressions were, I think virtually every QB gets sacked in that situation 99.9999% of the time.

JMHO

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's a lot easier to say than do in that situation. Steele whiffed. That dude was on Dak in a second, and he was still in the pocket. So if he throws it away you're looking at intentional grounding or worse - a pick - and people lose their minds on Dak, again.

Let's stop making excuses for everyone else and blaming everything on the QB. That's just a lazy take. Dak was not the problem in Philly. He kept Dallas in the game.
I thought I Dak start to throw it away when he was first grabbed, then he thought better of it and pulled it back in.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
All 5 starters we’re playing… that includes 3 1st round picks and 3 players on 2nd contracts. Exactly how much needs to be invested on the Oline for it to function!
One weak link is all it takes.

SackMaster

Reaction score
He has to see it and get rid of the ball.

If you knew what you were talking about at all this wouldn’t even be a debate.

McCarthy is 100% telling him that and Dak knows that.

He made a massive mistake. It’s just football common sense.
Ah. Another "if you knew" take ... But this time you are ABSOLUTELY correct.

I don't know because I don't know what the play call was, what the progression was supposed to be, or if Dak did what he was supposed to do.

But I watched the play.
- No blitz.
- Straight 4 man rush
- Dak's progressions were very quick to the middle, then to the left
- Steele almost immediately lost the block from the right
- With the DE completely free with a few steps, Dak is sacked

Now none of that is 100% proof that Dak did everything correct and he was 0% at fault.

But I can say that 99% of NFL plays are typically not successful when your OLine can't block a 1-on-1 rusher for more than 1 second. I mean, that is typically why passrushers are paid so much.

Or to put it another way. If that was Micah Parsons doing that to their RT, we wouldn't be saying their QB didn't do X, Y, Z. We would be saying Parsons DESTROYED his blocker and came in clutch.

But hey, I'm just a guy that doesn't have a ******* clue about football. Am I right?
:muttley:

rocknrobcowboy

Reaction score
If he does, why doesn’t the team put him in the right position to succeed? It was 1st and goal at the 6. Instead of taking a sack after the penalty, he should have threw it away. I’ve noticed Dak seems to do this often under pressure in the big games. I’m not even trying to hate on the guy right now. I just sometimes wonder if he has a low football IQ! This falls on coaching too.
Does Dak have a low football IQ? :facepalm:

The Answer Is No, But You Do "Low IQ" Cowboy Forever More... :lmao2: :lmao:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
First, your statement doesn't make sense in regard to your anti-Dak points, i.e., why would the anti-Dak crowd say the defense was weak after a win led by Dak? :huh:

Second, I never said they (anti-Dakers who don't give him credit after a win) didn't exist.

I'll chalk your reply up to "arguing just to be arguing."
they say the opposing defense was weak. not our defense. so hopefully that clears it a bit.

they say the WR made a crazy play, because Dak is always inaccurate.

its the other team messed up, not that we did anything.

I am not arguing to be arguing. I have said, Dak is not elite and he will make mistakes. I have said we need a stronger team as a result to succeed, because he is not mahomes or brady. I don't get into lets scrutinize a single play to death and create generalization out of it.

I also don't get too high on great plays made and generalize those.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

if it happens 18 times in a game, then its not a recognition issue. its an OL issue

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
no. just a slow processing brain. He comes to the conclusion when the plays are over. He's not dumb, his brain moves like a sloth runs. shrugs
yet that slow processing, slug, slot running QB had 370+ yards, 66% completion, 3 TDs....I guess you were expecting 495 yards from anybody else

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Pollard MUST help there...not freeze up. Dak should tell him. A "leader" would.

Where;'s zeke when you REALLY need him. :)

SackMaster

Reaction score
Pollard MUST help there...not freeze up. Dak should tell him. A "leader" would.

Where;'s zeke when you REALLY need him. :)
Well ... that would have been a possible option if we had anyone else in the backfield other than Dak on that specific play.

And considering the problems Steele was having, that was probably a mistake.

Now who's mistake exactly? Well according to some, I may just be too stupid to answer that, so I'll let you decide.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well ... that would have been a possible option if we had anyone else in the backfield other than Dak on that specific play.

And considering the problems Steele was having, that was probably a mistake.

Now who's mistake exactly? Well according to some, I may just be too stupid to answer that, so I'll let you decide.
There was one play someone showed a freeze frame of steele blocking air. Pollard didnt even look over there.

Too many steele misses to keep track of? :facepalm:

Last edited:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Imagine believing you are acting like a "mature person" then crying that you get mocked about your terrible and delusional opinions. Oh, nevermind.

And imagine trying to "school an adult" as a teacher when the education is at an all-time low because teachers more concerned about "social issues" than Reading, Writing, Arithmetic and Science. Oh, nevermind.
:lmao2:

You may THINK you have power because you grade papers, but in reality, it's probably more like "those that can't do, teach".
:thumbup:

Oh so sorry, that was so immature of me to point out.
:muttley:
Your nonsensical babble aside ... C'mon. You can do it. Say it with me. You were W-W-W-rong! :laugh: