Twitter: Dolphins open to trading WR Cedrick Wilson

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one is trading for that stupid contract. He’ll probably be cut after the draft.
:hammer:

Bingo!

File this next to the ‘Allen Robinson trade’ talk nonsense. Everybody sees your mistake, they’re not giving you something to take it on.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
This is the kind of trade this place would hammer the Joneses for making. Easy pass, but will take a look when he gets cut.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
They probably think Tolbert can be the 4th WR but I'd be interested.

You have to surround this QB with the best weapons possible. Not that Wilson is great but I know for sure he's an excellent 4th WR.
Why should Dak be extended when the rest of of the offense has to be great to make up for Dak's deficiencies?

jay94

Reaction score
We have Lamb, Cooks, and Gallop.

So no
Gallup was on of the worst receivers in the league last year, so counting on him, is dumb, maybe he can be a no 3 or no 4, but he is not a 2.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Wait until after the Draft when Miami will cut Cedrick Wilson. Then sign him back on a cheap deal around $1-$2 mil/season. He would be a good #4 WR. Our current backups suck and are unreliable. This team lacks good backups.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
No one is trading for that stupid contract. He’ll probably be cut after the draft.
Spotrac:
  • $12.75M guaranteed (signing bonus + 2022 salary + $5M of 2023 salary)
They're on the hook for $5mil.

I think how this works is that if they cut him, they have to pony up the $5mil, and they get reimbursed from any team that signs him for more than 2mil, up to a max of 5mil reimbursed.
Which means someone will sign him for 2mil. Or maybe he'll take less to get on a better team.

Maybe they can make a trade work, but they'd have to eat a large chunk of the 5mil.

If they can't get a trade, for 2mil more they should just keep him. I don't see him getting cut. Can play special teams and is at least a decent 3rd WR.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Gallup was on of the worst receivers in the league last year, so counting on him, is dumb, maybe he can be a no 3 or no 4, but he is not a 2.
And we guaranteed 2 7 figure seasons for Gallup.
We're good with the cheap contracts, back with the expensive ones.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the FO spending good money on someone they've already let go. It'd just be a bad look. We'll build through the draft, like always.

HanD

Reaction score
He will be a #3 next year. so what's the issue? Ced was a great role player here but was never better than gallup as a wr. he contributed more on ST than gallup but that's expected of a #4/5 wr on the team.

aikemirv

Reaction score
IN comparison, it is a better contract than what we paid Gallup! We should have kept him over Gallup. We were a better offense in 2021 with Wilson than we were with Gallup!

lkelly

Reaction score
Let's just enjoy the 6th round pick that Dallas gets after Miami signed him to that contract. If they want to cut him and he comes back here for a low end 1 year deal, that's fine too. Perhaps Dallas drafts their 2023 kicker with that 6th round pick.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Dolphins actually made a smart deal with him. It is all salary so if he is not what they wanted they can cut him or trade him for very little CAP impact.

I liked Ced when he was with Dallas. But $7 million is double what I would pay him. Still, he has some abilities that could be useful.
no.
they made 2 of the 3 years full GTD so they can not cut him this year.
they NEED to trade him.
but he is a negative asset on that deal so they'd likely have to trade him with other assets to get the done.

Had they simply given him a SB, they could cut him and spread the hit out over 2 seasons.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
IN comparison, it is a better contract than what we paid Gallup! We should have kept him over Gallup. We were a better offense in 2021 with Wilson than we were with Gallup!
No, it was not a better contract.
I need you guys to do better and understand contract basics.
He got 2 years and 14M GTD essentially.
Thats not awful for a starting WR at all... but the structure means if Ced was good he is back to market quickly and is he is bad you basically GTD 2 of the 3 years. (you pay him 5M to cut him this year)
They are openly begging someone to take him right now because he is WR4 and WR5 is an early draf tpick.

Michael Gallup was paid more but for FAR longer.
Dallas tied him up throughout his entire prime. And take zero large cap hits because of the contract design.
Dallas could cut Gallup today and spread his dead money cap hits over 2 seasons.
Gallup's deal looks better as each day passes because if he is WR3 in 2 years that becomes a value deal.
Dallas knew he was not going to be 100% year 1 and thus paid him for the long term with negligible cost year 1.

MIA paid Ced Wilson a 5.7M cap hit for 12 receptions and 136 yards.
DAL paid Gallup a 4.5M cap hit for 39 receptions and 424 yards.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
No thanks. He was not all that great when he was here, not as many thought he was.
Can get better players in the draft at this point.
He is overpaid for sure but I would love him back in Dallas as the number 3 or 4 receiver just not on that contract. He came up big two years ago in this offense as the number 3.