Don’t fold too quick FO

kskboys

Reaction score
Is there a guarantee we’ll franchise tag him?

I think this is part of the concern with Zeke. The uncertainty of how we’ll handle him when his contract is up.
Well duh, of course not. However, I'd say if his performance keeps up, at least one franchise tag could be considered a guarantee.

However, you didn't read the post. This was about a claim that Elliot would have to "endure" a couple franchise tags before he could sign for "big money". My post was asking how 70 mil is not big money.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well duh, of course not. However, I'd say if his performance keeps up, at least one franchise tag could be considered a guarantee.

However, you didn't read the post. This was about a claim that Elliot would have to "endure" a couple franchise tags before he could sign for "big money". My post was asking how 70 mil is not big money.
Why should he wait and see if we’ll pay him or tag him?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The majority of fans are only interested in what the players make as to how it pertains to the salary cap. Pretty much no one cares what these guys make.

I keep seeing posters complaining about people who are on the side of the owners. I would say offhand that it's not about picking a side for most of us, rather it's about fielding a super bowl team.
The salary cap doesn’t prevent you from fielding a Super Bowl team though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And with the success they generally run back to the hood and are surrounded by people wanting money.
It’s theirs to lose or screw up. I really don’t care but the bigger point is it’s a small segment of NFL players. Not nearly as many who come from these backgrounds.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The owners do honor the contracts.

Basically, the players trade getting huge amounts for the owners having the right to not pay it all. It's absolutely stupid to insist on being paid more than the last guy, when the player will never see a large chunk of that money anyway. Less overall money but more guaranteed money would benefit everyone.
The Cowboys released Hurns. That honored his deal?

kskboys

Reaction score
Why should he wait and see if we’ll pay him or tag him?
For some reason, you are taking a post out of context!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am only mildly interested in the pulling and tugging going on between Elliot and brass. While I do have some thoughts about living up to your word, I also respect his action as one of the few actions he can take. My ONLY real interest in this is not paying him 20mil/season, as that would strap us going forward, and would most likely lead to more .500 ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys released Hurns. That honored his deal?
Absolutely. They are required to pay the guaranteed portion, and they did.

The non-guaranteed money is all too often a placating method. The last year is not guaranteed, so it is seldom paid. Hurns was offered a restructure and turned it down.

Just millionaires pulling and tugging, nothing to be seen here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I just read a sports illustrated article that a study was done a few years ago and about 16% of the players they studied filed bankruptcy you after they retired.

This wasn’t an official tally of all former players but those in last 12 years.

And it didn’t distinguish if they were highly drafted who made millions or undrafted making min wage.

The most common cause was divorce and giving too much to family and friends.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
For some reason, you are taking a post out of context!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am only mildly interested in the pulling and tugging going on between Elliot and brass. While I do have some thoughts about living up to your word, I also respect his action as one of the few actions he can take. My ONLY real interest in this is not paying him 20mil/season, as that would strap us going forward, and would most likely lead to more .500 ball.
I’d agree. Sorry I just saw your response. Surely they wouldn’t pay 20 million. Hopefully closer to 15.

You don’t think if he sat out this year it’d lead to .500 ball. Of course next year we could respond in draft.

I’m only interested in the effects it’d have this year since we didn’t appear see this coming.

And we haven’t been playing .500 ball since he joined the team.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It’s theirs to lose or screw up. I really don’t care but the bigger point is it’s a small segment of NFL players. Not nearly as many who come from these backgrounds.
Yep and the media only talk about the ones that go broke because it’s hard to believe a person with so much can loose it all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

The non-guaranteed money is all too often a placating method. The last year is not guaranteed, so it is seldom paid. Hurns was offered a restructure and turned it down.

He was offered 5 million less....was he suppose to accept that? That’s crap. Look it’s a business. I get that’s how it works. It made sense to ask him to take a cut. But the players deserve the same respect to do whatever they can to get as much money as they can especially with how crappy running backs get paid. It’s not Zekes fault that the players union sucks.

glimmerman

Reaction score

That’s why they get a signing bonus, gets a large portion of the guaranteed paid out. So if this things don’t pan out then they can move on. When these players get the contract they are after guaranteed money. Ya know you can make a contract look as good as you want. You could pay Elliot 20 million per year for 5 years at 100 million but if he is only guaranteed 25 of it and they give him a 20 million dollar signing bonus then they only owe him 5 more. Likey that 5 will be paid out his first year of the contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep and the media only talk about the ones that go broke because it’s hard to believe a person with so much can loose it all.
It’s easy to see how they could lose it. Same way normal people lose it living beyond their means. Just on a smaller scale. 40% of Americans have less than $500 in savings basically a missed paycheck from being on the streets.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Most reasonable people would agree that employees deserve compensation relative to the income generated by their employer, seeing as how the employees play a key role in that income generation. Nowhere is that truer than pro sports, yet many fans turn into this guy when someone wants paid:

giphy.gif

I can't wait to see social media if the players strike, as they did twice in the 1980s. The reactions will rival any game in terms of entertainment. :muttley:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

No doubt but to me the real discussion isn’t about money, etc but the effects to the team, our offense and QB if he sits out this year.

That’s a subject id be interested in your take on.

glimmerman

Reaction score
No doubt but to me the real discussion isn’t about money, etc but the effects to the team, our offense and QB if he sits out this year.

In order for this Offense to be effective we need a running game. Elliot provides a nightmare for opposing defenses. But also so does our O-Line, the trenches is where it starts. If they stay healthy then we can get another RB to give us 100 yard games. We could call up a vet like Morris. Maybe Pollard or Weber can step up. I am sure that the FO is hoping for that. Just not sure if another RB would make other teams have to scheme to stop him. Need to get teams to not just stack the line. Without Elliot this season will be much more difficult.

Techsass

Reaction score
It’s easy to see how they could lose it. Same way normal people lose it living beyond their means. Just on a smaller scale. 40% of Americans have less than $500 in savings basically a missed paycheck from being on the streets.
Take away the roughly 40 million who are classified as poor & I wonder how many of that 40% are single & still pretty young.

kskboys

Reaction score
I’d agree. Sorry I just saw your response. Surely they wouldn’t pay 20 million. Hopefully closer to 15.

You don’t think if he sat out this year it’d lead to .500 ball. Of course next year we could respond in draft.

I’m only interested in the effects it’d have this year since we didn’t appear see this coming.

And we haven’t been playing .500 ball since he joined the team.
Not sure. That's most likely completely dependent on the two rooks. Can EZ afford to take that chance?

kskboys

Reaction score
Most reasonable people would agree that employees deserve compensation relative to the income generated by their employer, seeing as how the employees play a key role in that income generation. Nowhere is that truer than pro sports, yet many fans turn into this guy when someone wants paid:

giphy.gif

I can't wait to see social media if the players strike, as they did twice in the 1980s. The reactions will rival any game in terms of entertainment. :muttley:
I think the players just negotiated around or over 50% of the revenue. Why is that so unfair?

kskboys

Reaction score

If he sits out, a ton of questions will be answered. Weber is very underrated, and it's possible Moore will run an O that doesn't require a bell cow. Since none of us have any idea what Moore is as an OC, it's all question marks.

My personal guess is that our O would now still be pretty good w/o EZ due to the rook RB's and the Moore/Kitna influence. That is purely a guess, pure surmising.