Eagles tried to stop Cowboys and Lions from hosting Thanksgiving Day games

blueblood70

Reaction score
in some ways the 3day Thursday games and the last 2 seasons having to play like 3 games in 11 days is not an advantage but from the leagues stand point the DC are the biggest draw in football, luv them or hate them people watch prime time Cowboys games.. I know its tradition and I like the Thanksgiving day Game as I grew up with it but I woudnt not be offended if they simply rotated it to all 16 teams and all of them got shot and give us break.. :)when the rating drop to all time lows they will switch it back :)

the thing the other teams may have not thought of is you actually need a lot of fans who are willing to buy tickets and skip their normal family Holiday Plans.. that doesnt work in a lot fo markets but the Cowboys easily put 90k in our stadium every game including holidays and all primetime games.. half full stadiums on national TV wont go over well with the NFL

Bizwah

Reaction score
Sydla you are better than this. Advantage 1, you play at home on a 4 day week. Advantage 2, you get a mini bye before your next game.

And don’t give me one year aberrations as a counter argument.
All other teams were given the same opportunity years ago. They all turned it down except us. Not our fault no other teams had the foresight to step up.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I don't like the T-giving game. The game starts at 2:30... gotta be at my wife's parents at 2 for food. Then my parents expect us to come over to their house around 4. So you gotta load up the kids, drive across town at halftime, and pile into the house. All while everyone else has been there for awhile so the best seat in the house is standing in the bathroom doorway. Then you got the few guys ( uncles, cousins ) who haven't watched a sporting event since last Thanksgiving's Cowboy game, but they hate the Cowboys so you have to listen to them talk **** for 4 hours, but you can tell the only knowledge they have on any situation is through overhearing co workers discussing sports.

Just not my cup of tea I guess.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Dirty dogs tried to pull a fast one .........lol

Clowns us and the lions were the only teams willing to do those games when it was first proposed years ago, everyone else said no emphatically now everyone wants in on it, screw them

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dirty dogs tried to pull a fast one .........lol

I'm certain other teams have proposed that over the years.

In 2018 the NFL scheduled the Cowboys for an away game on that Sunday before Thanksgiving AND scheduled them to play on the Thursday of the following week.

That's 3 games in 10 days. Not an advantage for the Cowboys.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
As loyal Dallas Cowboy fans, we should get a group of us and steal their Rocky Statue.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm certain other teams have proposed that over the years.

In 2018 the NFL scheduled the Cowboys for an away game on that Sunday before Thanksgiving AND scheduled them to play on the Thursday of the following week.

That's 3 games in 10 days.
Not an advantage for the Cowboys.

Coincidence?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not the first time this has come up, including rotating the teams that play on TDay but this is one tradition the owners do not see fit to change. Both teams did what no others were willing to do to give the NFL a presence on TDay because that used to be belong to college. When the first came up, the record that Landry had the game after TDay was cited as an unfair advantage, to which the lack of a full prep for TDay was the response.

I do wonder about the schedule makers though. How in the hell do they end up with a team playing 3 games in 11 days?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
As loyal Dallas Cowboy fans, we should get a group of us and steal their Rocky Statue.

Will you add the rest of us to your visitors list at the county jail so we can come laugh at you?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Even though the iggles withdrew the proposal, the idea is still out there now just waiting for someone else to pick it up and run with it. It's not like there is a shortage of other owners that would like to stick it to Jerry and the Cowboys.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Will you add the rest of us to your visitors list at the county jail so we can come laugh at you?
Nice, some fellow fan you are!
You're assuming I'd get caught. You don't know me very well.

Fwed

Reaction score
All other teams were given the same opportunity years ago. They all turned it down except us. Not our fault no other teams had the foresight to step up.
So because other teams declined on something before most of us were born we have to live with an unfair advantage forever?

Fwed

Reaction score
So every home team for TNF has the same advantage right?
Absolutely. If the NFL took this into account and made sure that every team, over X years, had the same number and configuration of, Thursday night, Teams coming off Bye/mini Bye weeks, then i could care less about thanksgiving...the problem is that the NFL does not care, even a little bit, about fairness in these matters.

Fwed

Reaction score
Even though the iggles withdrew the proposal, the idea is still out there now just waiting for someone else to pick it up and run with it. It's not like there is a shortage of other owners that would like to stick it to Jerry and the Cowboys.
its not about sticking it to anyone, its about fairness. If the NFL cared about that at all the schedule would be very different than how it winds up. Every year it seems like some team gets absolutely killed playing multiple teams coming off of bye weeks. A couple years ago the Eagles had the worst schedule in that regard that i had ever seen...then the next year the Giants were screwed over even more badly. i think they played four weeks in a row against teams coming off of either a bye, or a mini bye. thanksgiving at home bakes one advantage into the schedule every year...the league doesnt seem to try to mitigate that elsewhere in the schedule.