Elliott's going to average 4.5 YPC

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
While wistfully hoping for the best, my expectations of Zeke are, and will be, humble ones. He's capable as a blocker for Dak -- I'm quite confident in that much. If he manages to contribute decent efforts in the run game, it'll be a pleasant surprise. As of now, he's a safety net, but little more.
Come on now. Get a little wild.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Thats more like throwing something against the wall to see if it sticks.

gimmesix

Reaction score
He'll be committed to just that, any doubts?
Nah, older players have to take care of their bodies. I think Elliott figured that out before the 2021 season. He got his playing weight down, worked on his quickness and he looked like he started the season like he was heading for his best season in years. Unfortunately, the injuries hit (a knee sprain, bruised ribs, a knee strain, a PCL tear) and took the steam out of his game. He never was a speed back but he pretty much lost any ability to win on outside runs. Defenses knew that and pinched down against him between the tackles. We should expect them to do the same now, so any success he has is going to depend a lot on how strong our interior blocking is. Think of it a bit like Philly's tush push. Teams know it is coming but have trouble stopping it because of the blocking/execution. If our interior line can execute, then our running game can be effective. Now, I don't know if it can be effective enough for Elliott to average 4.5, but I'm sticking with my prediction despite all the naysayers.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just a prediction. I can't say it's what I expect, but I'm sticking with it. Frankly, I don't believe his body can hold up to it even if he started out at the 4.5 level. His last two years here his knees slowed him down. Some fans just see the 3.8 and 3.5 averages and say he sucked those years, but he actually started both years strong. In 2021 in particular, he suffered several injuries, including multiple knee injuries that included a PCL tear, and his averaged dropped, but he still finished that season with a 4.2 average. In 2022, he suffered another knee injury and his average dropped below 4. I'm not sure if he had any injuries last year to account for his 3.5 average in New England or if that was just the toll on his body showing.
Whoops. Didn't mean to indicate that he started his year in New England strong. His last two years here (2021 and 2022) he started strong. I was particularly excited about his play the first half of 2021, but then the injuries hit and he just wasn't the same.

LysleE

Reaction score
Zeke has always been a fan favorite; so if you’re Jerry, there is no downside from a public relations perspective and maybe there are a multitude of fans, not necessarily the stat geeks, who aren’t aware of Zeke’s physical decline over the years as they remember him when he was a stud RB for the Cowboys.
I think this signing is more about appeasing fans than improving the run game; those of us who follow players know his time is done…simply looking at him as a red zone, short-yardage, between the tackles runner who can help with blitz pick-ups. His presence won’t strike fear into run defenders.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Although I am being a little facetious about Zeke, I do believe that Beebe will play center and prove to be an improvement over Biadasz. He had a fantastic college career and he's considered to be a very smart player who has some practice experience snapping the ball. I think having Martin next to him will help since Martin has been helping our centers with the line protection, snap count, etc., since Frederick retired.

Guyton at left tackle is another question. If he can't get there this year, then we have to move Tyler out and that weakens that interior group. I like Bass, but he doesn't bring the power to LG that Tyler provides. I think Tyler-Beebe-Martin will be people movers in the run game. I don't know what the result of that will be with the backs we have, but I do look forward to some smash-mouth from them.

And yes, I do expect to hear at some point that Elliott is in the best shape of his life.
Taking practice snaps at center is very different than actually having played center, especially when making the jump to the NFL. Everything I've seen and heard about Beebe make me think he can make the transition, but expecting to be as quick as many fans are talking is unrealistic. Adding multiple pieces to the OL takes time for vets to gel and become a cohesive unit, but adding two rookies making position changes is especially unrealistic. Adding Zeke may be more about adding some protection for the QB, since he blocks so well while the OL goes through it's learning curve.

I think with the new players this OL can eventually become a top unit and we may see flashes of it this season, but I do not have any expectations that it will be consistent. Zeke's job should be short yardage and pick up blocks.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Yes, that's my wild-hair predication with nothing to base it on. Cooper Beebe is going to win the starting center job and with Tyler and Martin at guard, we're going to pound on defenses between the tackles when we run the ball.

I don't drink and I don't smoke, so no, I'm not drunk or high. Just having a little fun. Zeke's going to party like it's 2-0-1-9.
Y’all just say words sometimes…

MarkP88

Reaction score
Yes, that's my wild-hair predication with nothing to base it on. Cooper Beebe is going to win the starting center job and with Tyler and Martin at guard, we're going to pound on defenses between the tackles when we run the ball.

I don't drink and I don't smoke, so no, I'm not drunk or high. Just having a little fun. Zeke's going to party like it's 2-0-1-9.
Maybe if he only has like 7 carries.

conner01

Reaction score
What was his YPC on 2022?
What is Zeke known for? Coming in heavy, out of shape.
How many new O line will start this season?
He was already a downhill runner with little side movement, it will be worse at his age and shape.

If he makes it the whole season, I'll generously say 3.2 YPC.
3.8 and 3.5 last year. If he is limited to 8-10 touches a game he might be in that range. Really the only thing he brings at this point is he is still a very good blocker and can read a blitz

conner01

Reaction score

That’s a wild prediction and I sure hope you are right. But I think the mega millions have better odds lol

blueblood70

Reaction score
McCarthy's strength isn't using the running game well IMO. He's a really good passing game coach but seems to view the running game as an afterthought.

This from Blogging the Boys:

From 2006-2017, McCarthy’s 12 full seasons with the Packers, Green Bay was almost always a bottom-half offense with its run game. They ranked 20th or worse in six of those seasons, averaging just 110.1 yards over the full 12-year run. And while some of that was due to the deserved focus on Aaron Rodgers and the passing attack, rushing also proved inefficient at just 4.2 yards per carry.
I bet he does this year he's being criticized in the media I'm sure his own owners have stressed the importance and to boot is on a one year lame duck rule,

if he wants to win to keep his job,

he's going to need to find a way to make the run game work, why don't he refer to his coaching staff between the offensive lineman coaches, the running backs coach ,the run game coordinator etc

I mean hell go ask Mike Zimmer how you beat the defense with a good run game how about be better.. Or you probably gonna be out of the league... You know how fans that stressed the importance of team game ,I mean it's the same thing with the coaching staff, they need to get together as a group and figure this **** out...

Sydla

Reaction score
Oooof.

You definitely went out on a limb with this one.

blueblood70

Reaction score
3.8 and 3.5 last year. If he is limited to 8-10 touches a game he might be in that range. Really the only thing he brings at this point is he is still a very good blocker and can read a blitz
anyone want to go do the research and see how many rushing touchdowns we had from the running back group last year compared to zeke's 12 the year before?? He's still better in the short yardage and the goal line and as a blocker than anybody did last year without him... I am curious at how many running backs last year scored a touchdown like how many touchdowns total not by the quarterback not by trick plays behind the line of scrimmage just the running backs..

His 800 yards and his 12 touchdowns we're being dismissed as washed and it still was probably better than anyone did last year in my opinion... And everybody including yourself acting like 3.8 yards per carry is something to sneeze at listen he's a power back got a lot of mileage on him but Najee Harris over in Pittsburgh his career average and this is a young man that was supposed to be really good in this league it's 3.9 yards per carry Eddie George pretty much averaged 3.5 yards per carry his entire career we need to get off the short yardage power backs yards per carry average if he's moving the chains he's getting first downs if he can score he can block if he can wear down the defense he can be an asset and yeah 11-12 touches a game,, we're not asking them to carry this entire offense like we did before..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Don’t see Zeke averaging 4.5. He’ll be used to pound out the tough yards between the tackles. However, I could see him averaging around 4.0 if a couple of these young players on the OL play well.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The last time Zeke averaged 4.5 was in 2019. He’s averaged under 4.0 the last two seasons. He’s going to be asked to pick up a lot of dirty yards which will keep his average down.

pitt33

Reaction score
Nah…

Zeke will be goal line and 3rd/4th and short.

It’s amazing how quickly RB’s today wash out after a few years. Dorsett and Sanders were small backs and played at a high level for several years.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Come on, man. It's a prediction. I'm not defying the laws of physics here.
Sorry, man, but there is little difference in those predictions. 0% chance he averages 10.1 ypc. And .0001% he averages 4.5 ypc, unless the NFL changes the rules and only allows 7 players on defense.