ESPN: Howard to Lakers - Done Deal

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Ren;4656491 said:
Good C for the best C in the game, if it wasn't the Lakers offering no one would take that trade, but since the league is somehow obliged to make the Lakers better they go out of their way to make sure you get what you want.

The Lakers are the Paris Hiltons of pro sports

What was a better offer? Brook Lopez? Keeping him wasn't an option. I know the averege spitefull fan would do it, but when he tells you he will never sign another contract with the Magic, you get what you can to help rebuild.

Ren

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;4656528 said:
What was a better offer? Brook Lopez? Keeping him wasn't an option. I know the averege spitefull fan would do it, but when he tells you he will never sign another contract with the Magic, you get what you can to help rebuild.

If this was any other team then the Lakers Howard would have played out his contract but as soon as the Lakers showed some interest it was only a matter of time before the league found a way to get him there. It took 4 teams working for the common goal of making the Lakers better to make this happen. If someone like Milwaukee wanted him this trade would have never happend

ragman

Reaction score
1. With this trade, the line between the Haves and the Have Nots just became more pronounced.

2. A blow to the Mavs. No way are they going to get Chris Paul without Howard.

Ren

Reaction score
ragman;4656578 said:
1. With this trade, the line between the Haves and the Have Nots just became more pronounced.

2. A blow to the Mavs. No way are they going to get Chris Paul without Howard.

CP3 will go to the Lakers next year, if that poses a problem cap wise the NBA will simply change the cap rules for them

JackWagon

Reaction score
Ren;4656587 said:
CP3 will go to the Lakers next year, if that poses a problem cap wise the NBA will simply change the cap rules for them

They will just pay the luxury tax ... Screw it ... 4 to 5 all-stars on one team.

Boston
LA
Miami
NY
Chicago

Everyone else is just a minor league team training theor players to move to the big 5. They need to contract the league.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4656507 said:

Howard isn't carrying the Lakers once Kobe is gone. The Lakers will need to find someone else to do that and they probably will once that time comes. Howard is a good piece to add to what they got, but he isn't the type of player that can carry a franchise.

jcollins28

Reaction score
2380lakers_reloaded_800.jpg

Remember how well this worked out for the Lakers? I still think OKC is better. They have the best player on the floor (Durant) and have more depth. Who exactly is Nash going to guard on the Thunder?

Ren

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4656653 said:
The hate in here is strong. :laugh2:

I love it.

There's nothing worse then smug bandwagon fans, you need to calm down before someone reminds you about the countless Howard themed posts by your self prior to this trade...

Reaction score
Ren;4656683 said:
There's nothing worse then smug bandwagon fans, you need to calm down before someone reminds you about the countless Howard themed posts by your self prior to this trade...

All I said was there was Dwight wasn't much better than Bynum talentwise and I still believe that, but as I've said before Dwight is the much better fit.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Ren;4656572 said:
If this was any other team then the Lakers Howard would have played out his contract but as soon as the Lakers showed some interest it was only a matter of time before the league found a way to get him there. It took 4 teams working for the common goal of making the Lakers better to make this happen. If someone like Milwaukee wanted him this trade would have never happend

I don't think I agree with this.

- The losers here are the Magic but only in the short term. Had they not made a trade, they would have basically gotten nothing at all for Howard. However, now they got a bunch of short term contracts, they have created huge cap for themselves next year, they will be able to go out and sign two or three All Star type FAs, they have secured extra 1st Rd picks in three of the next four drafts which will allow them to either take more talent or put together a nice deal to move up in any of those years for a talented center. They are going to make out huge over the next several years. Plus, they got Harkless out of St. Johns, who if you haven't watched him play, he is a pretty darn good player.

- Philly basically traded Iguodala for the Second best Center in the League. That's a damn good trade as well. Philly wanted to move Iguadala and through this trade, they did. They have several good young players in Philly and Bynum is going to make them even better. Bynum is from Philly so it's a pretty good chance that he stays and resigns IMO. They got a lot better IMO.

- The Nuggets get a lot better also. They get rid of a big contract in Othello, they have to give up a pretty good player in Afflalo but they get a young All Star Center in Igouadala. They are much, much better in my opinion. That was a heck of a good trade for them as well.

It's not the league laying down to facilitate the Lakers. Kupchak did a hell of a job putting this trade together but these other clubs all improved themselves so I don't think it's reasonable to say that the League just rolled over. I think these teams made the best moves for their clubs futures and all of them did pretty well on this deal IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, nobody will be able to pay more to Howard the the Lakers will next year. They will be able to pay him 25 million more then anybody else I believe. He may leave, but if he does, he's leaving to make much, much less money, to say nothing of the endorsements playing in L.A. would bring.

Reaction score
jcollins28;4656669 said:
2380lakers_reloaded_800.jpg

Remember how well this worked out for the Lakers? I still think OKC is better. They have the best player on the floor (Durant) and have more depth. Who exactly is Nash going to guard on the Thunder?

First of all of it wasn't for the Karl Malone injury we would've won in 2004. Second of all sure we don't have anyone to guard KD, but they have no one to guard Dwight or Kobe. Nash can and will go toe to toe with Westbrook. Nash and Howard will also make life much easier for Kobe and Pau.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I fully believe the Lakers will win the championship next season. We now have one of the greatest starting lineups in NBA history.

joseephuss

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4656711 said:
If I'm not mistaken, nobody will be able to pay more to Howard the the Lakers will next year. They will be able to pay him 25 million more then anybody else I believe. He may leave, but if he does, he's leaving to make much, much less money, to say nothing of the endorsements playing in L.A. would bring.

I can see Howard starring in "Kazamm Two".

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
If I were the Magic, I would have easily taken the Rockets trade over this one. Heck, I would have taken the Nets offer, and I'm not a big Brooks Lopez guy at all. How the heck they traded away a once in a generation center away for a package that doesn't include anyone even approaching All Star caliber talent OR someone eating the Turkoglu contract OR any unprotected draft picks in return is mindboggling.

Ren

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4656716 said:
First of all of it wasn't for the Karl Malone injury we would've won in 2004. Second of all sure we don't have anyone to guard KD, but they have no one to guard Dwight or Kobe. Nash can and will go toe to toe with Westbrook. Nash and Howard will also make life much easier for Kobe and Pau.

Nothing is guaranteed, but I fully believe the Lakers will win the championship next season.

Nothing like a history lesson from someone who is to young to remember it :laugh2:

Mash

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;4656699 said:
I don't think I agree with this.

- The losers here are the Magic but only in the short term. Had they not made a trade, they would have basically gotten nothing at all for Howard. However, now they got a bunch of short term contracts, they have created huge cap for themselves next year, they will be able to go out and sign two or three All Star type FAs, they have secured extra 1st Rd picks in three of the next four drafts which will allow them to either take more talent or put together a nice deal to move up in any of those years for a talented center. They are going to make out huge over the next several years. Plus, they got Harkless out of St. Johns, who if you haven't watched him play, he is a pretty darn good player.

- Philly basically traded Iguodala for the Second best Center in the League. That's a damn good trade as well. Philly wanted to move Iguadala and through this trade, they did. They have several good young players in Philly and Bynum is going to make them even better. Bynum is from Philly so it's a pretty good chance that he stays and resigns IMO. They got a lot better IMO.

- The Nuggets get a lot better also. They get rid of a big contract in Othello, they have to give up a pretty good player in Afflalo but they get a young All Star Center in Igouadala. They are much, much better in my opinion. That was a heck of a good trade for them as well.

It's not the league laying down to facilitate the Lakers. Kupchak did a hell of a job putting this trade together but these other clubs all improved themselves so I don't think it's reasonable to say that the League just rolled over. I think these teams made the best moves for their clubs futures and all of them did pretty well on this deal IMO.

I hated seeing Philly lose Harkless.....I liked what I saw from this kid. That being said....I was tired of Iguadala game.......and hated that contract.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss;4656725 said:
I can see Howard starring in "Kazamm Two".

That's OK with me so long as he brings in a couple of Championships like the original Kazamm did.

:laugh2: