News: ESPN: Jason Garrett: Tony Romo is healing up

Wizarus

Reaction score
He shouldn't be Day to Day, he fractured his back from a standard hit, and is at an increased risk of getting injured again if you rush him out there in 4 weeks. Let this team prove they can be at least competent without him.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He shouldn't be Day to Day, he fractured his back from a standard hit, and is at an increased risk of getting injured again if you rush him out there in 4 weeks. Let this team prove they can be at least competent without him.

Not to worry, Garrett's definition of day to day is not the typical definition. Garrett is almost always wrong with his med evals, very much like when he challenges a call. I'm absolutely shocked when he gets one right. Unfortunately that doesn't happen very often.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
That's what i'm guessing.

If we start 2-0 it could push it back a little further.

Giants

@ Commanders

Bears

@ 49ers

We should be able to get out of this 3-1 possibly 4-0 if Dak is a capable player.

We could just as easily be 0-2.

Dallas really needs to take advantage of these 4 games though because it's a soft spot in the schedule.

I think it pushes it back a lot further if we start 2-0. I think any victory in the early part of the season immediately translates into an extra week of rest for Romo. We start 4-0, my guess is we won't see Romo until after the bye. We start 6-2, we might not see him until Thanksgiving. We start 0-2, the club will see the Bears and 49ers on the schedule and give Dak two more weeks but then pull the plug.

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
I think it pushes it back a lot further if we start 2-0. I think any victory in the early part of the season immediately translates into an extra week of rest for Romo. We start 4-0, my guess is we won't see Romo until after the bye. We start 6-2, we might not see him until Thanksgiving. We start 0-2, the club will see the Bears and 49ers on the schedule and give Dak two more weeks but then pull the plug.

Damn,everyone keeps talking 2-0, 3-0, 4-0 and I'm over here just hoping we can beat the Giants...

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett would not go so far as to say Tony Romo will not go on injured reserve as the quarterback recovers from a compression fracture in his back, but Garrett laid out why Romo remains on the active roster today.

“In Tony’s case, the IR term is for eight weeks and we feel like, given what the injury is and the progress he’s made, we feel at this point we want to do that,” Garrett said. “We don’t want to eliminate him from eight weeks of our schedule. He’s making progress. We take his situation day by day and week by week and we’re optimistic he can return.”

Continue reading...
Welp.... Sounds like Romo is starting Sunday. :popcorn:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I know, it's ridiculous but you could've said that being in the NFC East.......unfortunately.

His premise was based on the fact that Romo would come back and they could win out. Mathematically, yah, I guess it was possible, but realistically not so much.

Blake

Reaction score
It seems that Garrett is not as sold on Dak's pretend season performance as some are. I hope, after Sunday, Garrett doesn't amend that to hour by hour and be calling Romo several times a day.

Romo helps Garret save face and appear like a competent coach. Ofcourse he's not sold on a rookie qb, because it forces him to actually come up with a scheme that works.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
The same people saying Romo will be back on the earlier end of the 6-10 week timeline will be saying "he was rushed back too early" if he gets injured again.

etw926

Reaction score
Way too many doctors in this forum who have knowledge of the MRI results and the severity of the break. :rolleyes:

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Not a standard hit at all. You don't know what the risks are. David Carr had 2 of these fractures and said he returned (in 3 weeks - after finishing that game) when they determined there wasn't further risk. Leave that to the doctors, please.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
His premise was based on the fact that Romo would come back and they could win out. Mathematically, yah, I guess it was possible, but realistically not so much.

Winning out wasn't necessary. Based on the team's recent record with Tony playing, what was required was well within the realm of possibility.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not to worry, Garrett's definition of day to day is not the typical definition. Garrett is almost always wrong with his med evals, very much like when he challenges a call. I'm absolutely shocked when he gets one right. Unfortunately that doesn't happen very often.

If Garrett calls it day to day that basically means the guy is out for a while. And if the rehab is going well that is even worse.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

No question. If Romo breaks his back on a simple hit like that, its more evidence that he is just old and brittle.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Romo helps Garret save face and appear like a competent coach. Ofcourse he's not sold on a rookie qb, because it forces him to actually come up with a scheme that works.

And then all this would equate to Garrett playing NOT to lose again right? LOL

Lets hope that Linehan can talk some sense into him.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
QB controversy will divide this fanbase. I can definitely see Romo coming back too soon and getting hurt again. My hope at that point is we can finally move on. Just as Danny White is not appreciated properly, that is the fate of Tony Romo.
Our inept head coach and lunatic owner have already done that. The head coach more than Jerry. There are still people that defend Garrett.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same people saying Romo will be back on the earlier end of the 6-10 week timeline will be saying "he was rushed back too early" if he gets injured again.

That would probably be exactly the opposite of what would happen. The people saying Romo will likely be back on the early end of the (media's) 6-10 week timeline (and I'm one of those) aren't the types to second-guess the team just because a calculated risk didn't turn out. The people who are implicitly critical of Romo right now are the same ones who are constantly explicitly critical of every decision the team makes. That's kind of how it works out.

No question. If Romo breaks his back on a simple hit like that, its more evidence that he is just old and brittle.

You really think a 36 year old male's bones break more frequently because of age? That boggles my mind. If we're talking soft-tissue injuries, or a chronic recurrence of a significant back or shoulder problem, I could see where you were coming from. Or if it were some sort of medical-induced condition that's potentially causing the fractures. But as far as we know, Tony's got the same skeleton he had when he was 26, and his age being in his 30's has no bearing on whether or not bones are more likely to break.

The cause of the breaks is big men landing on him. Just like with any other QB.

Our inept head coach and lunatic owner have already done that. The head coach more than Jerry. There are still people that defend Garrett.

There are still a ton of people who defend him. Including his players, staff, ownership, and a good subset of the fans who pay attention to the things that actually get NFL teams beat.

What surprises me more is how large the percentage of fans is who ignore the more obvious problems their own eyes and even a cursory review of the game data ought to tell them and instead just generalize that, "if there are problems, they have to be at the top."

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That would probably be exactly the opposite of what would happen. The people saying Romo will likely be back on the early end of the (media's) 6-10 week timeline (and I'm one of those) aren't the types to second-guess the team just because a calculated risk didn't turn out. The people who are implicitly critical of Romo right now are the same ones who are constantly explicitly critical of every decision the team makes. That's kind of how it works out.

You really think a 36 year old male's bones break more frequently because of age? That boggles my mind. If we're talking soft-tissue injuries, or a chronic recurrence of a significant back or shoulder problem, I could see where you were coming from. Or if it were some sort of medical-induced condition that's potentially causing the fractures. But as far as we know, Tony's got the same skeleton he had when he was 26, and his age being in his 30's has no bearing on whether or not bones are more likely to break.

There are still a ton of people who defend him. Including his players, staff, ownership, and a good subset of the fans who pay attention to the things that actually get NFL teams beat.

What surprises me more is how large the percentage of fans is who ignore the more obvious problems their own eyes and even a cursory review of the game data ought to tell them and instead just generalize that, "if there are problems, they have to be at the top."

We discussed this already. The older you get the more your muscles, ligaments, ect...ect... tighten up and you simply cant take the pounding anymore. Its called getting old. As far as bones go, they get old as well. You also get less coordinated and your reaction time slows. All this contributes to getting injured. Takes longer to heal also when you get older.

And dont bother respondiing with some kind of nonsense. I will no longer argue that Romo is getting older and more brittle. And I wont argue that as you get older your body starts to break down and weaken. Its laughable to argue otherwise.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Ownership has hammered on Garrett in the past for his naive mistakes "learning on the job". Year after year it keeps happening. Happened last year as well.