News: ESPN: Jason Garrett: Tony Romo is healing up

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That would probably be exactly the opposite of what would happen. The people saying Romo will likely be back on the early end of the (media's) 6-10 week timeline (and I'm one of those) aren't the types to second-guess the team just because a calculated risk didn't turn out. The people who are implicitly critical of Romo right now are the same ones who are constantly explicitly critical of every decision the team makes. That's kind of how it works out.

You really think a 36 year old male's bones break more frequently because of age? That boggles my mind. If we're talking soft-tissue injuries, or a chronic recurrence of a significant back or shoulder problem, I could see where you were coming from. Or if it were some sort of medical-induced condition that's potentially causing the fractures. But as far as we know, Tony's got the same skeleton he had when he was 26, and his age being in his 30's has no bearing on whether or not bones are more likely to break.

The cause of the breaks is big men landing on him. Just like with any other QB.

There are still a ton of people who defend him. Including his players, staff, ownership, and a good subset of the fans who pay attention to the things that actually get NFL teams beat.

What surprises me more is how large the percentage of fans is who ignore the more obvious problems their own eyes and even a cursory review of the game data ought to tell them and instead just generalize that, "if there are problems, they have to be at the top."

LOL....................You obviously pay NO attention to what happens on the field. Garrett has bumbled the play calling for years until it finally got stripped away because he was soo terrible. And you obviously didnt pay attention to Jones lambasiting him year in and year out for it. "we paid the price for Garrett learning on the job".

Any REAL fans pay attention to the record and success of the coach which has been nothing short of middlling with Garrett.

And then when Romo goes down and you can ONLY win ONE game without him it should be quite obvious to any run of the mill fan that Romo is the ONLY reason this team wins. NOTHING to do with the hapless and clueless Jason Carrott.

If you cant even see that then you have absolutely no business what so ever talking down to anyone else about NOT paying attention. You clearly dont yourself.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We discussed this already. The older you get the more your muscles, ligaments, ect...ect... tighten up and you simply cant take the pounding anymore. Its called getting old. As far as bones go, they get old as well. You also get less coordinated and your reaction time slows. All this contributes to getting injured. Takes longer to heal also when you get older.

And dont bother respondiing with some kind of nonsense. I will no longer argue that Romo is getting older and more brittle. And I wont argue that as you get older your body starts to break down and weaken. Its laughable to argue otherwise.

We discussed it, but I thought at that time you, reasonably, concluded that bones don't, in fact get brittle with age for a person in his 30s. And since Romo's injuries have not been soft-tissue related, the rest of irrelevant. Which was why I was surprised to see the brittle bones thing crop back up again.

Ownership has hammered on Garrett in the past for his naive mistakes "learning on the job". Year after year it keeps happening. Happened last year as well.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing some of this 'hammering' you believe happened. Got a link? If it's just going to be a general reference to people improving as they get experience couched in another positive assessment of their coach, don't bother. But if it's actual 'hammering,' I'm all ears.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I am not going to get into the "is Romo done" debate. Personally, my opinion is that he is not done and can and will come back to play at a high level. Granted it may not be for but for another season or two, I think he'll come back and do well. I certainly understand those that think otherwise, however.

With that being said, it is a fact that Jason Garrett has proven that he cannot win without Tony Romo on the field and until he proves that he can I will not be inclined to think otherwise. I am intrigued by Dak's play in the preseason as well as his success playing in college against big time competition. I like his competitiveness and motivation and composure.

In a perfect world, Tony would get his ring, teach Dak a thing or two, and then Dak comes in and dominates for a decade or more. I'll keep thinking and acting like that'll happen and just sit back and watch what happens like the rest of us. And drink beer.....

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL....................You obviously pay NO attention to what happens on the field. Garrett has bumbled the play calling for years until it finally got stripped away because he was soo terrible. And you obviously didnt pay attention to Jones lambasiting him year in and year out for it. "we paid the price for Garrett learning on the job".

Any REAL fans pay attention to the record and success of the coach which has been nothing short of middlling with Garrett.

And then when Romo goes down and you can ONLY win ONE game without him it should be quite obvious to any run of the mill fan that Romo is the ONLY reason this team wins. NOTHING to do with the hapless and clueless Jason Carrott.

If you cant even see that then you have absolutely no business what so ever talking down to anyone else about NOT paying attention. You clearly dont yourself.

Here we go with the opinions unsupported by the results. It gets really boring.

The reality is, the offense was productive under Jason Garrett. It's been demonstrated many times, but all you really have to do is look at the points/offensive possession to see that it's true.

As for ownership 'lambasting' him...is this the point where I ask if that happened before or after they gave him the 6 year/$30MM extension? Or do 'REAL' fans not pay attention to such things? Do you have a link or a quote that includes some lambasting? Or is this just another exercise in you using a strong negative word to mischaracterize what we all know actually happened? I'm going to go with that last one.

I mean, you're entitled to your strong unsupported opinions and all, but let's not pretend they're worth anything more than the effort you bother to put into supporting them. And, as always, you're not putting in much effort here, Roy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We discussed it, but I thought at that time you, reasonably, concluded that bones don't, in fact get brittle with age for a person in his 30s. And since Romo's injuries have not been soft-tissue related, the rest of irrelevant. Which was why I was surprised to see the brittle bones thing crop back up again.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing some of this 'hammering' you believe happened. Got a link? If it's just going to be a general reference to people improving as they get experience couched in another positive assessment of their coach, don't bother. But if it's actual 'hammering,' I'm all ears.

Why is this about the strength of bones? He is injured AGAIN!!! The older he gets, the more he is getting injured. And they are much more serious now. Do you NOT see a pattern here? Are you THAT blind?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If you look close enough you can see Jerry's hand moving his lips.

Romo wont last 2 games when he returns ........ its a shame, he deserves better.

This could be the end for Romo especially if Dak plays well. The last 3 good hits Romo has taken have put him on the sidelines. Something seems to break every time he hits the turf and it's going to be hard to go forward with him having to hold our breath every time he gets taken down.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Here we go with the opinions unsupported by the results. It gets really boring.

The reality is, the offense was productive under Jason Garrett. It's been demonstrated many times, but all you really have to do is look at the points/offensive possession to see that it's true.

As for ownership 'lambasting' him...is this the point where I ask if that happened before or after they gave him the 6 year/$30MM extension? Or do 'REAL' fans not pay attention to such things? Do you have a link or a quote that includes some lambasting? Or is this just another exercise in you using a strong negative word to mischaracterize what we all know actually happened? I'm going to go with that last one.

I mean, you're entitled to your strong unsupported opinions and all, but let's not pretend they're worth anything more than the effort you bother to put into supporting them. And, as always, you're not putting in much effort here, Roy.

LOL................Unsupported by results? What is his overall record? playoff games won? What was his record last year. LOL

Do you realize how foolish you sound?

And why did Jones give him a 6 year extension? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........because he is a complete idiot and cant admit when he was wrong?

And if you were LISTENING or PAYING ATTENTION he said EXACTLY why. Because if he fired Garrett none of us would be able to reap the rewards of all those mistakes he made. Here is the article since you haven't been PAYING ATTENTION!!!!

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...n-from-mistakes-and-go-on-and-win-super-bowls

Don Corleone

Reaction score
This franchise is notorious for saying a player is healing up, and then putting them on season ending IR.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL................Unsupported by results? What is his overall record? playoff games won? What was his record last year. LOL

Do you realize how foolish you sound?

And why did Jones give him a 6 year extension? Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........because he is a complete idiot and cant admit when he was wrong?

And if you were LISTENING or PAYING ATTENTION he said EXACTLY why. Because if he fired Garrett none of us would be able to reap the rewards of all those mistakes he made. Here is the article since you haven't been PAYING ATTENTION!!!!

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...n-from-mistakes-and-go-on-and-win-super-bowls

Yeah, this was a discussion about your criticisms of the play calling, Roy. Please don't work yourself up and let it start bleeding into other areas. We can discuss the other areas, too, but let's try at least to keep the arguments in their context.

It is enlightening to hear your rationalization of how Jones can extend the HC he lambastes with such regularity. I have to admit I didn't see the 'because Jerry Jones is a complete idiot' argument coming. I really should have, but I thought we were more or less dealing in reality here. If we're instead going to have the discussion in fantasy land, I will, of course, defer to your experience here.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is this about the strength of bones? He is injured AGAIN!!! The older he gets, the more he is getting injured. And they are much more serious now. Do you NOT see a pattern here? Are you THAT blind?

I see him taking hits that can reasonably be considered hard enough to break things like collarbones, and then sometimes those bones breaking or fracturing. That seems a reasonable enough explanation for what's going on to me.

Again, if there were reason to think Tony's skeleton were getting weaker, I'd then believe that. It's possible there's a medical reason for it.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
We discussed this already. The older you get the more your muscles, ligaments, ect...ect... tighten up and you simply cant take the pounding anymore. Its called getting old. As far as bones go, they get old as well. You also get less coordinated and your reaction time slows. All this contributes to getting injured. Takes longer to heal also when you get older.

And dont bother respondiing with some kind of nonsense. I will no longer argue that Romo is getting older and more brittle. And I wont argue that as you get older your body starts to break down and weaken. Its laughable to argue otherwise.

You are partially right, but mostly wrong. I was listening to a former NFL team doctor on NFL radio a week or so ago. The Romo injury was being discussed. The doctor said the injury had NOTHING to do with Tony getting older and becoming more "brittle". He said a 36 year old does not have or develop brittle bones and indicated it was ridiculous to even pose such a theory. There's no doubt that healing time increases with age, but all of Tony's injuries are simply the result of playing a brutal game and having bad luck. The hit that broke a bone in his back this time was caused due to the position Tony was in when he got hit, which was beginning a slide to the turf. The lineman came down on him when he was basically in a sitting position while still a foot off the ground. He was basically in a bent position and had 280 lbs. come crashing down on him and pounding him to the turf. The same thing would have most likely happened to a 22 year old in the same position. All of Tony's injuries have happened due to happenstance. He was slammed to the turf and broke his collarbone (twice). It's just the nature of the game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah, this was a discussion about your criticisms of the play calling, Roy. Please don't work yourself up and let it start bleeding into other areas. We can discuss the other areas, too, but let's try at least to keep the arguments in their context.

It is enlightening to hear your rationalization of how Jones can extend the HC he lambastes with such regularity. I have to admit I didn't see the 'because Jerry Jones is a complete idiot' argument coming. I really should have, but I thought we were more or less dealing in reality here. If we're instead going to have the discussion in fantasy land, I will, of course, defer to your experience here.

No problem. And the next laughable thing you are going to tell me is that Jones is NOT known for hiring puppet coaches that will do whatever he wants. And that he is a great GM. So the fact that the idiot GM Jones known for hiring puppets is extending a puppet AGAIN? But wait................I have NO proof of that right? LOL

And you were the one that brought up proof or RECORD into the conversation so I quickly turned to the ONLY real barometer that should matter anyway and that is record. Which is middling. based on record you are now stuck with the burden of proof to defend the middling nature of it.

And how was Garretts offense last year when he didnt have his Tony Romo savior running it for him? Bottom of the league bad? And NO, EVERY team in the NFL does NOT have a top 10 QB starting for them and they all dont end up with 1 win and at the bottom of the league in offense because of it.

And you said you havent heard ANYONE in ownership say anything bad about Garrett. Well............I proved you dead freaking wrong my man. Or did you NOT pay attention to the article and all the things Jones has said.

Any more silly statements I can blow out of the water?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I see him taking hits that can reasonably be considered hard enough to break things like collarbones, and then sometimes those bones breaking or fracturing. That seems a reasonable enough explanation for what's going on to me.

Again, if there were reason to think Tony's skeleton were getting weaker, I'd then believe that. It's possible there's a medical reason for it.

Or you could just say he is old and injury prone. Is that possible as well? Certainly more plausible then you running around trying to make up any kind of excuse in the book that he isnt injury prone.

Or we could just look at the facts

-He has a bad back
-He is 36 years old
-The last 2 years he has been injured

Or maybe there is some obscure medical reason for it other than he is old and brittle? But as you say you.....................you have unsubstantiated views of those obscure medical reasons.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You are partially right, but mostly wrong. I was listening to a former NFL team doctor on NFL radio a week or so ago. The Romo injury was being discussed. The doctor said the injury had NOTHING to do with Tony getting older and becoming more "brittle". He said a 36 year old does not have or develop brittle bones and indicated it was ridiculous to even pose such a theory. There's no doubt that healing time increases with age, but all of Tony's injuries are simply the result of playing a brutal game and having bad luck. The hit that broke a bone in his back this time was caused due to the position Tony was in when he got hit, which was beginning a slide to the turf. The lineman came down on him when he was basically in a sitting position while still a foot off the ground. He was basically in a bent position and had 280 lbs. come crashing down on him and pounding him to the turf. The same thing would have most likely happened to a 22 year old in the same position. All of Tony's injuries have happened due to happenstance. He was slammed to the turf and broke his collarbone (twice). It's just the nature of the game.

Ok so Romo is old and brittle with strong strong bones. LOL

They just break because he has bad luck. LOL And they break in the same place 3 times because he is unlucky. :lmao::laugh:

You guys crack me up. The best part about all this is that my father is a bone doctor. He was laughing when I asked him if getting old makes you more injury prone. Nothing to do with bones or anything else. Romo couldnt escape because he is older, couldnt flex or bend as well because he is older, fatter, ect....ect... Young big guys crashing on old guys is NOT a good thing. Common sense. How old are you? Stop arguing with mother nature you sound foolish.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Ok so your analysis is that Tony Romo is unlucky?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Got any evidence of this bull**** theory or are you just talking out of your ***...................again?

Watch Tapper closely. He has an unstable spine and won't play a down this year. That won't work out this year. Remember everyone is day to day until the truth has to come out.

Seriously. Do you even follow this team or do you just randomly troll?

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Watch Tapper closely. He has an unstable spine and won't play a down this year. That won't work out this year. Remember everyone is day to day until the truth has to come out.

Seriously. Do you even follow this team or do you just randomly troll?

So, like I thought, you have no evidence. You're just talking out your ***. Thanks for clarifying.