News: ESPN: Jason Garrett: Tony Romo is healing up

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you have to get a bone shaved down I wouldn't say the threat of a recurring injury is minimal

Why not? The bone-shaving was to make reinjury even less likely, btw. But either way, the healed collarbones aren't more likely to rebreak than they were before. Nobody's collarbone is built to withstand a significant hit. So, if he's not at any elevated risk relative to any other QB in the league, why worry about it?

And back injuries don't ever get all the way better........you never know when they might pop up but they are debilitating when they do....he has had a couple back injuries that will cause future problems

The back injury is a completely different matter. Not the transverse or the current fracture, but he's definitely got a chronic condition he'll always have to manage. We all understand that, I think.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That is not an absolute with back injuries. Broken bones don't flare up. A tiny compression fracture is not likely to cause any future issues once healed.
He already had one surgery for a herniated disk in 2013....this impact was severe enough to crack a vertebrae.....to think none of the discs were impacted is not likely

think of an ice cream sandwich.......the ice cream oozes out with minimal pressure on the wafers......if you apply enough pressure to crack one of the wafers then a lot of cream will push out....it can cause tremendous discomfort and sciatic pain if the nerve is irritated

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Why not? The bone-shaving was to make reinjury even less likely, btw. But either way, the healed collarbones aren't more likely to rebreak than they were before. Nobody's collarbone is built to withstand a significant hit. So, if he's not at any elevated risk relative to any other QB in the league, why worry about it?

The back injury is a completely different matter. Not the transverse or the current fracture, but he's definitely got a chronic condition he'll always have to manage. We all understand that, I think.
The Mumford surgery was put off as long as possible until March...that means they wanted other options..... it helps relieve stress on the bone but I wouldn't say it is business as usual....you might say bad luck but he has broke the same bone 3 times now

Romo had initially leaned toward having a metal plate inserted to help supported the weakened clavicle. Ultimately, the decision was made to undergo Mumford surgery, a procedure in which a portion of Romo's collarbone is shaved down to help alleviate stress and irritation.

Needless to say, the Cowboys and Romo need this latest surgery to do the trick. If Romo were to suffer another clavicle injury in 2016, you'd have to ask very real questions about whether the quarterback is facing a career-ending injury.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He already had one surgery for a herniated disk in 2013....this impact was severe enough to crack a vertebrae.....to think none of the discs were impacted is not likely

think of an ice cream sandwich.......the ice cream oozes out with minimal pressure on the wafers......if you apply enough pressure to crack one of the wafers then a lot of cream will push out....it can cause tremendous discomfort and sciatic pain if the nerve is irritated

Discs in adults are not similar to ice cream. They are more unyielding.

The disk is sometimes described as a shock absorber for the spine, which makes it sound more flexible or pliable than it really is. While the disks do separate the vertebrae and keep them from rubbing together, they are far from spring-like. In children, they are gel- or fluid-filled sacs, but they begin to solidify as part of the normal aging process. By early adulthood, the blood supply to the disk has stopped, the soft inner material has begun to harden, and the disk is less elastic.

-WebMD

If he had any damage similar to a herniated disc he would be on IR right now.

Did David Carr have disc problems after his two fractures? Surely he would have correct? That was enough force for multiple fractures.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Discs in adults are not similar to ice cream. They are more unyielding.

-WebMD

If he had any damage similar to a herniated disc he would be on IR right now.

Did David Carr have disc problems after his two fractures? Surely he would have correct? That was enough force for multiple fractures.

The ice cream sandwich was probably a bad example but I was going more for the visual
People keep using David Carr but he was 28 and said he didn't feel right until much later

Romo will definitely miss the season opener and should take a minimum of six weeks to return. If hit in a similar fashion, a compression fracture can progress to a burst fracture with potential injury to the spinal cord or nerves. No one can be allowed to take that risk. Once healed, the risk of paralysis or permanent injury is no greater than normal.

Romo could resume throwing in a few weeks, but the earliest I see him playing and being exposed to a hit is six weeks. In 2007 with the Panthers, David Carr only missed a couple of weeks with his compression fracture but admitted he wasn’t at full strength until much later. -Dr Chao

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Mumford surgery was put off as long as possible until March...that means they wanted other options..... it helps relieve stress on the bone but I wouldn't say it is business as usual....you might say bad luck but he has broke the same bone 3 times now

Romo had initially leaned toward having a metal plate inserted to help supported the weakened clavicle. Ultimately, the decision was made to undergo Mumford surgery, a procedure in which a portion of Romo's collarbone is shaved down to help alleviate stress and irritation.

Needless to say, the Cowboys and Romo need this latest surgery to do the trick. If Romo were to suffer another clavicle injury in 2016, you'd have to ask very real questions about whether the quarterback is facing a career-ending injury.

The Mumford procedure was delayed while he was considering an alternative procedure, and also maybe because of Tony's off season schedule with his family. It didn't mean the necessarily wanted other options at all.

Again, there's nothing about having broken the clavicle twice in two unrelated occurrences that suggests in any way that he's got trick-clavicles. It's certainly not even remotely a career-ending injury.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's common sense and not living in denial

It's common nonsense. And especially dumb in Romo's case because there are actual chronic career-threatening injuries in his past that he actually is dealing with at the same time. Not to mention that he's at an age where his arms or legs could give out at any time, and that he's got what looks like a blue chip prospect on the roster behind him who could just take the job outright regardless of injury.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
The ice cream sandwich was probably a bad example but I was going more for the visual
People keep using David Carr but he was 28 and said he didn't feel right until much later

Romo will definitely miss the season opener and should take a minimum of six weeks to return. If hit in a similar fashion, a compression fracture can progress to a burst fracture with potential injury to the spinal cord or nerves. No one can be allowed to take that risk. Once healed, the risk of paralysis or permanent injury is no greater than normal.

Romo could resume throwing in a few weeks, but the earliest I see him playing and being exposed to a hit is six weeks. In 2007 with the Panthers, David Carr only missed a couple of weeks with his compression fracture but admitted he wasn’t at full strength until much later. -Dr Chao

The difference between a 28 and 36-year-old is not that great, generally speaking. But what you were trying to say was that the bones had to be compressed together a great deal to cause a fracture and that the discs between the bones would necessarily be compressed and damaged as well. That's just as true for a 28-year-old (or at least the difference would be pretty negligible). From what I can tell though, the bones can be damaged without anything happening to the discs. It's definitely possible they could be, but it doesn't appear to be the case in this instance.

Why should he take a minimum of six weeks to return? What if the bone is healed in 4 (or 5?)? What if after 4 weeks it's determined that he's at no risk of injuring the bone further by playing (like with his traverse process or ribs)? One thing I tired asking Chao about but got no response, was how could Carr be allowed to play (and also state that the doctors said there was no further risk) if he was at additional risk of such an extreme injury?

Carr played in a few weeks but did say he didn't have full strength until 6 weeks. He also had 2 bones fractured to deal with, not one. If Romo is not at risk, but not full strength, the question becomes how much from full strength is he, what would be his limitations, and how effective could he be.

Recovering for 6 weeks might be best for Tony, and for the team, but it might not.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's common nonsense. And especially dumb in Romo's case because there are actual chronic career-threatening injuries in his past that he actually is dealing with at the same time. Not to mention that he's at an age where his arms or legs could give out at any time, and that he's got what looks like a blue chip prospect on the roster behind him who could just take the job outright regardless of injury.
Boats-on-the-Nile.jpg

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

More nonsense. Especially in light of everything I just acknowledged regarding the status of Romo's playing career.

You're using 'denial' in place of an argument that actually holds water. Not very impressive.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
More nonsense. Especially in light of everything I just acknowledged regarding the status of Romo's playing career.

You're using 'denial' in place of an argument that actually holds water. Not very impressive.
You keep coming up with a hundred different ways of trying to say he isn't injury prone, hasn't been injured on his last 3 big hits and doesn't have a gigantic bullseye on his back......if he took half the hits Cam took last night he'd be in traction.......I love Romo but I don't need to lie to myself

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You keep coming up with a hundred different ways of trying to say he isn't injury prone, hasn't been injured on his last 3 big hits and doesn't have a gigantic bullseye on his back......if he took half the hits Cam took last night he'd be in traction.......I love Romo but I don't need to lie to myself

More silliness. I've explicitly said I've and over and over that his back injury and his age are issues we're all worried about. You just don't want to hear it because you also want to believe the bone issues are chronic.

For whatever reason some of you guys can't keep the various risks in context. If you consider that being honest with yourself, more power to you. You and CowboyRoy can flag that honesty flag together.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Better step it up and put forth an impressive outing, Dak . . . JJ and JG will be rushing Tony back pretty soon if you don't. ;)

nobody

Reaction score
Better step it up and put forth an impressive outing, Dak . . . JJ and JG will be rushing Tony back pretty soon if you don't. ;)

There no need to rush Romo. Let him heal properly. When he is back at full strength, then pull Dak and let him learn.....unless he just goes nuts and plays balls out...then you keep the hot hand.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
You really think a 36 year old male's bones break more frequently because of age? That boggles my mind. If we're talking soft-tissue injuries, or a chronic recurrence of a significant back or shoulder problem, I could see where you were coming from. Or if it were some sort of medical-induced condition that's potentially causing the fractures. But as far as we know, Tony's got the same skeleton he had when he was 26, and his age being in his 30's has no bearing on whether or not bones are more likely to break.

The cause of the breaks is big men landing on him. Just like with any other QB.

Yes, thank you for saying this. While he might be "old" in football terms, it's not like he has "brittle" bones that are more likely to break. People are acting like he's a 70 year old woman with osteoporosis.