ESPN Lays Off Ed Werder

rynochop

Reaction score
Travel Channel is great. Andrew Zimmern is absolutely fantastic. I've caught an episode or two of EU, but for some reason it's not in my rotation like Bizzare Foods and such. I'll start adding it to the dvr, Stash. :)
I watch that channel probably more than any other, you're probably a fan of Booze Traveler.ha it's pretty good.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The cord cutters are only part of the issue.

It's the rights fees for the sports/events that are killing them. Having rights to college football, the NFL, NBA, MLB, tennis, etc., in addition to subsidizing the Longhorn Network, SEC Network, the soon to be ACC Network, and it's an untenable model.
not really.
what's killing them is people ONLY want to watch those things for which they pay huge rights fees.
no one watches sports center anymore.
easier to get on the net and get sports highlights near real time with live tweet commentary.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
The bigger picture is that ESPN is losing money. When NFL television rights are up for bid again. I won't be surprised if the money actually goes down. Instead of growing exponentially.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
content is key. been this way for a while now. people would rather binge watch shows then watch a weekly with commercials.
it's a new model and ESPN will have to adapt.
they should offer their sports content to netflix or hulu... but they are propping up cable/satellite as the last reaosn anyone has those services at all.

Plankton

Reaction score
Yeah, that union doesn't exist. But Werder has been good at his craft for a long time, is a genuinely good guy and is respected in the industry. I'd expect he has contacts all over and if anyone can find a decent place to land, it's him.

Except it's called either the Writer's Guild or AFTRA.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The bigger picture is that ESPN is losing money. When NFL television rights are up for bid again. I won't be surprised if the money actually goes down. Instead of growing exponentially.
Now online services can bid so it will go up.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
It makes me sick, and it's a big reason why I hardly watch TV at all any more.

I can honestly say I haven't watched the channel in about 20 years. When the Real World came in, I got out.

People tell me that musicians still make them and I'm like "why? What's the point if there's nowhere for people to see them any more?" During that era, the videos were as popular as the music. They were a big deal and another way for artists and groups to advertise their music. A lost art I guess.

If we as a society got away from the TV, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
The ruination of sports TV broadcasting occurred when they try to cater to millennials who don't watch TV, especially sports TV. By doing so, they alienated a lot of hardcore sports fans. Good morning football is an example of terrible sports TV. They are better off replaying old games until special events occurs like the draft, training camp, etc... The Cowboy bashing is also a big turnoff. Opinionated broadcasting is fine but when it is obviously skewed it makes people tune out. At least it made me tune out.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ruination of sports TV broadcasting occurred when they try to cater to millennials who don't watch TV, especially sports TV. By doing so, they alienated a lot of hardcore sports fans. Good morning football is an example of terrible sports TV. They are better off replaying old games until special events occurs like the draft, training camp, etc... The Cowboy bashing is also a big turnoff. Opinionated broadcasting is fine but when it is obviously skewed it makes people tune out. At least it made me tune out.

Well said.

It definitely looks to me like they not only catered to an indifferent audience, but chased away the audience they did have in the process.

For myself, I noticed a complete shift in how ESPN did business the minute TO was doing crunches in his driveway with helicopters flying overhead. I don't know how big their ratings must have been, but nothing was the same after that. It was all scandal all the time from that day forward. Gone were the days of the people who truly loved sports, and the business was run like a business first and foremost.

They went with whatever sold and sacrificed their integrity and reputation in the name of making a buck. And so has most everyone they employed, just like Ed Werder, and that's why I have no sympathy for any of them.

What goes around, comes around.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Can't stand ESPN and don't watch them. ESPY courage award a few years back was the nail in the coffin!

CWR

Reaction score
content is key. been this way for a while now. people would rather binge watch shows then watch a weekly with commercials.
it's a new model and ESPN will have to adapt.
they should offer their sports content to netflix or hulu... but they are propping up cable/satellite as the last reaosn anyone has those services at all.

True, football is the only reason for my cable and Im canceling that waste right after the draft. I can watch the boys with rabbit ears or streaming. No need to pay for 3 dozen worthless channels when Im watching Breaking Bad on netflix anyways lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm waiting for Jean Jacques Taylor to get his. Waste of air.

And it's happened!

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/jjt-out-at-espn.376851/#post-7305486

Daniel-Bryan-Yes-Cheer.gif