ESPN Lays Off Ed Werder

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Hate to see the guy lose his job, but I don't think to many Cowboys s are going to miss hi, I thought his reporting went the way of TMZ a few years ago but maybe he was just following his boss's instructions

Nope. He was all for it. He wanted air time. If he had become a person that got ratings...he'd still have his job.

The way he reacted to Miles Austin taking over Roy Williams' job in '09 when he claimed 'sources' in the organization said that would never happen...is symbolic of the type of person and 'reporter' he is.

He's a bum and the journalism business is about protecting these jamokes instead of just calling them out on their awfulness. And that leads to the mess ESPN is today.

YR

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Shoot, I actually liked Dilfer. One of the few people I paid any attention to.

lkelly

Reaction score
Shoot, I actually liked Dilfer. One of the few people I paid any attention to.

I had the same reaction. He's a rational, informed analyst surrounded by some real buffoons. I wonder if Steve Young will be kept. He literally admitted that he doesn't really watch football and does next to no preparation for the show. Heck, he only occasionally combs his hair. If there's an example of someone mailing it in, it's him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Back in the 90s, Sportscenter with Patrick and Olbermann was must see TV for me.

Nowadays I go to Yahoo Sports or youtube and get my highlights there while my phone updates me on scores and stats on the fly.

ESPN nowadays just strikes me as yet another sterile, commercialized, and callous example of US corporate culture.

cej757

Reaction score
Just too much to compete with now with so much information overload all over the place. I get why a channel like the History Channel would change things up. But MTV is just asinine any more.

The teenagers in my house actually laugh when I describe these things called music videos and that was all there was.

In a generation, the same thing might happen with ESPN. "Wait, they used to televise sporting events?".

Yeah... I remember the Mtv change started happening when they had that TV game show Remote Control. And then when Beavis and Butthead and the Real World took off it was a wrap.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is shocking news. How will the dark blue suit industry cope with the loss of their primary television fashion model?

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I just cut the cord, Was paying 140.00 a month for 120 channels, which I watched may 4-5 at the most. Between Roku stick and an HD TV antenna I now get 82 channels, which I only watch about 4-5 of them anyways, but I pay 8.99 a month for TV. On the Roku you can do netflix, we use it for PureFlix (which is better than netflix IMO) and all that. I get all my local channels so the only thing I miss will be ESPN and the NFL network. Living in the DFW metroplex, I'll still get all the Cowboys games on my local channels.

Reaction score
The ruination of sports TV broadcasting occurred when they try to cater to millennials who don't watch TV, especially sports TV. By doing so, they alienated a lot of hardcore sports fans. Good morning football is an example of terrible sports TV. They are better off replaying old games until special events occurs like the draft, training camp, etc... The Cowboy bashing is also a big turnoff. Opinionated broadcasting is fine but when it is obviously skewed it makes people tune out. At least it made me tune out.
It tuned me out from NFL Network as well. I couldn't stand the Cowboys bashing anymore. Haven't watched it in about 2 years. Don't plan to either. Except maybe the draft. And the games themselves. But when they are televising out of the studio with their "experts", forget it. Not interested.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Kids still watch music videos at a high rate. They just watch them on youtube. That is why taylor swift and the chainsmokers have like a billion views.
yep and with smart TVs there is no reason for any TV network to show videos.

cej757

Reaction score
Tough to say...because I really don't like Mr. Blue Suit. And I think he's poor at his job.

The same guy that reported that Keith Davis was dead.

The same guy that steadfastly claimed that Miles Austin was not going to take over Roy Williams at the #1 WR spot and threw a hissy fit over it.

The same guy that reported that T.O. was crying after the 2008 Bengals game because 'he didn't get the ball enough' when it was later correctly reported that T.O. lost a close family friend that week.

Never apologized or did a mea culpa.

He created the entire TO vs. Romo/Witten situation as he heard from one 'source' who had a beef against TO and used it as the gospel (and this just so happened after TO was fed up with him and refused to answer any of his questions and Mr. Blue Suit was being laughed at every time TO did it).

The same guy that sent ESPN goons after a fan kept calling him a hack.

There's a TON more of examples, I just don't feel like typing up a doctoral thesis length post on all of them.

I hate to see anybody get laid off, but on the other hand he's probably getting a good severance and made far more money than he should have. And the fact is that if his level of accuracy was that good at any other job...he would have been fired long ago. He loved nothing more than to make the Cowboys the butt of the joke and had serious vendettas against people and quite frankly...I'm 100% confident that he made up a lot of his 'sources' because his level of inaccuracy was so high that you can't have legitimate sources and be THAT inaccurate.

YR

You're 100% correct. Ed stirred up a lot of controversy in the Cowboys locker room. His one and only source was supposedly Bobby Carpenter who was one of Romo's best friends. So you know how that story about Owens was gonna be told.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm not really surprised. Does anybody really watch this anymore??I can't even remember the last time I sat down and watched ESPN.

Hell, I get the magazine and it's hardly worth thumbing through half the time.

Now, if they went over to a "Naked News" type format I'm willing to bet viewership would go up. Hehe ;) Well, along with most the viewers that is. Haha

rynochop

Reaction score
Yeah... I remember the Mtv change started happening when they had that TV game show Remote Control. And then when Beavis and Butthead and the Real World took off it was a wrap.
God, Remote Control, forgot about that show. I only watched it cause that chick on there was smoking hot

cej757

Reaction score
The way that entire network used the Greg Hardy story a few years ago to get ratings was absolutely ridiculous. I mean they went from talking about Hardy to turning it into a Jerry Jones bash session and it went on for almost a week.