ESPN Lays Off Ed Werder

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ESPN is trying to make a statement. Don't let the timing fool you. This was all thought out...calculated. They have been shifting to a certain point of view for years now. And if you didn't fit that "agenda" today...you got canned. I wouldn't be shocked if you saw a class action discrimination suit because of this.

Eh, I'm not getting into conspiracy theories about it, but I definitely see a network that's struggling, reaping the seeds of scandal, controversy, and negativity that they have sown for years.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
You're 100% correct. Ed stirred up a lot of controversy in the Cowboys locker room. His one and only source was supposedly Bobby Carpenter who was one of Romo's best friends. So you know how that story about Owens was gonna be told.

That and Brad Johnson.

Journalistic code calls for 3 separate sources on reporting a rumor. Mr. Blue Suit would get 1 and run with the story.

YR

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Eh, I'm not getting into conspiracy theories about it, but I definitely see a network that's struggling, reaping the seeds of scandal, controversy, and negativity that they have sown for years.

I just heard they need to cut 100 million in payroll. :lmao:

Like cutting a bunch of reporters is going to help. ESPN just became the Titanic. Last one there gets the check:lmao2:

As much as people hate Stephen A. ....I can actually see him leaving because of this. Don't see him sticking around to go down w/ the ship.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just heard they need to cut 100 million in payroll. :lmao:

Like cutting a bunch of reporters is going to help. ESPN just became the Titanic. Last one there gets the check:lmao2:

As much as people hate Stephen A. ....I can actually see him leaving because of this. Don't see him sticking around to go down w/ the ship.

He's toxic. Given his schtick, he's got nowhere else to go. It's amazing that he hasn't been fired already for all of the trash he's said.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
ESPN is going to go the way of MySpace. They have lost over 11 million subscribers since 2011. About 10,000 subscribers a month. It's expected that between 50-70 employees will be fired.

ESPN had over 100 million subscribers in 2011. Now they have less than 88 million. The news is even worse though since the pace of subscriber cancellations increased at the end of last year when they lost over 1 million subscribers in a 2 month period. Cord cutting is real. I cut the cord 3 years ago and don't miss it one bit. No need to pay $1200+ each year for cable.

http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-subscribers-2017-3

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
That and Brad Johnson.

Journalistic code calls for 3 separate sources on reporting a rumor. Mr. Blue Suit would get 1 and run with the story.

YR
There is no 3 source minimum you speak of. In journalism, the truth will set you free. Sometimes that only takes one source. Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth.

I will add the use of unnamed and anonymous sources is one of the biggest downfalls of journalism today.

AmericasTeam81

Reaction score
ESPN had over 100 million subscribers in 2011. Now they have less than 88 million. The news is even worse though since the pace of subscriber cancellations increased at the end of last year when they lost over 1 million subscribers in a 2 month period. Cord cutting is real. I cut the cord 3 years ago and don't miss it one bit. No need to pay $1200+ each year for cable.

I cut the cord last July. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Kinda bummed they cut Len Elmore, one of the better college b-ball analysts out there. Gotta believe he'll land with Fox Sports.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score

I'm suffering with cable but don't know how to cut the cord without losing my shows. I'd love the cut the cord! Right now I got premium cable, roku w Netflix. There's some good shows on syfy, history, discovery, animal planet, and some others I don't wanna miss. Any advice would be appreciated

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There is no 3 source minimum you speak of. In journalism, the truth will set you free. Sometimes that only takes one source. Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth.

I will add the use of unnamed and anonymous sources is one of the biggest downfalls of journalism today.

I have no issue with AP sources. I actually know AP editors, writers, a local news producer, and the head of a regional desk at a national network.

I have confidence in their system of vetting and retractions. I blame the current climate on the POTUS and partisan politics and not the press itself.

Sports journalism has no such standards.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
I have no issue with AP sources. I actually know AP editors, writers, a local news producer, and the head of a regional desk at a national network.

I have confidence in their system of vetting and retractions. I blame the current climate on the POTUS and partisan politics and not the press itself.

Sports journalism has no such standards.
I get what you're saying, the AP has always done it right. But philosophically the problem is they've helped usher in the era of "sources say" and when most other outlets inevitably copy that concept, they often don't follow even a similar vetting process.

I've worked in the industry for a couple decades and I shake my head at what passes for journalism anymore.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, the AP has always done it right. But philosophically the problem is they've helped usher in the era of "sources say" and when most other outlets inevitably copy that concept, they often don't follow even a similar vetting process.

I've worked in the industry for a couple decades and I shake my head at what passes for journalism anymore.

That I can believe....And sadly...I think it's only going to get worse. @ least the public is aware (for the most part) that there is a political agenda that is being crammed down peoples throats. I guess it's up to the individual to decide what is real...and what they are being fed /led to believe. Scary times.:rolleyes:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Sure but editors do talk and the sources I rely on cite the initial report so it's moot at least for me. I make a point to read the original source material.

The lack of basic critical thinking skills in the US population is a huge problem.

I get what you are saying in the age of overcommericalization, conglomeration, 140 characters and instant access on the web but I still have no issue finding good print or other forms of the written word. I avoid visual media outside of original source material like the plague.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I think there is far too much tinfoil hat theories going on...

They paid, big, big, big money to lock up TV deals. They are have large payroll expenses. People are switching over to other means of watching TV as a way of cutting costs/difference in viewing shows. They are losing subscribers and thus losing profits. I would much rather get into a TV show and be able to watch several episodes in a row on Netflix than wait for a 1 hour show once a week full of commercials. Younger generations rather binge watch a show than "tune in next week."

black label

Reaction score
library-s-titanic-elation-happy-gif.gif