Felix Jones Highlight Video

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
JerryFan;1996097 said:
I'd be willing to bet 'Shard has every bit as good of hands as Stewart. I've watched him being an Illinois fan and have nothing bad to say about him other then his blocking. You really think he will get 1,2 or 3 in the draft? I don't, because I don't think 1, 2 or 3 will go RB.

And to the other person who said we don't need power we need speed. 'Shard has it all my friend. Power and speed.

Mendenhall can catch the ball. Stewart looks better to me. I suspect most college RBs get to the game with suspect blocking skills.

I'm talking about McFadden, Stewart and Mendenhall being the first 3 RBs picked. Not the first, second and third pick. There is a reason people have Stewart and Mendenhall swapped in mocks. They are both quality backs with speed, can catch the ball out of the backfield, are fast, and look to be able to translate their game to the next level. To me Stewart looks better. JMO.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;1996101 said:
I'm not sure if I'm reading this correctly or not, but are you saying Rice does have wiggle?

Yes Rice has move wiggle than Mendenhall and maybe Stewart. But he isn't as fast. A lot of college RBs that are faster than the defense tend to just run past everyone. But the slower guys have to juke to get some yards. Rice is one of those. He's as fast as Emmitt.

I'd have no problems getting Rice in the second or third. He'll probably go in the 2nd.

Chris Johnson is my favorite back although Jones is a close second.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jersey;1996219 said:
As a second day pick, OK. But please people he's NOT a 1st round talent.
Of the thought, "Let it go, and slowly walk away.

More people think he is first round talent than not. However, since he is the fourth or fifth rated RB in this draft and is primarily going to be a Reggie Bush type back and not carry the full load, he does not carry the value of the others. So he could go in the first of the second round but I'd bet several hundred he goes in the first.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
jobberone;1996506 said:
Yes Rice has move wiggle than Mendenhall and maybe Stewart. But he isn't as fast. A lot of college RBs that are faster than the defense tend to just run past everyone. But the slower guys have to juke to get some yards. Rice is one of those. He's as fast as Emmitt.

I'd have no problems getting Rice in the second or third. He'll probably go in the 2nd.

no he's not. rice is slower than barber.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;1996506 said:

Rice does have a better 10 yard split than all of those guys (except Johnson), so he may actually have a better burst than you give him credit. I think 4.4 long speed is sufficient, so you can't really say he's lacking in that respect. Rice may go in the 2nd, but it'll be very very early 2nd. In my opinion, he'll end up being the best back of the entire group.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;1996527 said:
Rice does have a better 10 yard split than all of those guys (except Johnson), so he may actually have a better burst than you give him credit. I think 4.4 long speed is sufficient, so you can't really say he's lacking in that respect. Rice may go in the 2nd, but it'll be very very early 2nd. In my opinion, he'll end up being the best back of the entire group.

I don't go on 40s exclusively. I look at what film I can find. If I see enough I make an informed decision. Of course it's all play since we can't possibly realistically scout players for the draft. But we can play.

Rice isn't near the speed of Chris Johnson. Don't care what the 40s say. Just look at them run. Rice has E Smith speed. Chris Johnson has Tony Dorsett speed. But Rice is a RB. Again, I think he has the tools to be a starter or quality backup in this league. I expect him to play for more than the usual average years. He's just not the back Johnson is....due to speed. There are a lot of Rice fans out there including me and you. I just don't think he's quite the back you do. But that's ok.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;1996537 said:
I don't go on 40s exclusively. I look at what film I can find. If I see enough I make an informed decision. Of course it's all play since we can't possibly realistically scout players for the draft. But we can play.

Rice isn't near the speed of Chris Johnson. Don't care what the 40s say. Just look at them run. Rice has E Smith speed. Chris Johnson has Tony Dorsett speed. But Rice is a RB. Again, I think he has the tools to be a starter or quality backup in this league. I expect him to play for more than the usual average years. He's just not the back Johnson is....due to speed. There are a lot of Rice fans out there including me and you. I just don't think he's quite the back you do. But that's ok.
Speed is about the least valuable asset to a running back. It won't get you very far in the NFL. Having to "break outside" like Felix and Johnson do is actually viewed as a negative when scouting a running back, not a positive.

btcutter

Reaction score
Rampage;1996530 said:
ok so rice ran faster than barber in shorts and a shirt:rolleyes: game speed is what matters.

Game speed? Barber is faster than RR in games? Seriously.

Spectre

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1995321 said:
I disagree but because I can see where this would go, I digress.

Im not really too enamored by Felix. I think there are better backs out there that would be better for Dallas. Someone will take Felix before Dallas could get him in round 2 and using a 1st on Felix is reaching IMO.

The only backs I would like to see in the 1st round would be Stewart or Mendenhall (DMC of course but not happening).
I agree with your entire post here.

Spectre

Reaction score
BigDave95;1995466 said:
Felix Jones DID NOT bench press at the combine.

The 8 reps belonged to Rafael Little, the RB that went after him. They were mistakenly credited to Jones. Both Jones and McFadden will lift at the Arkansas Pro Day.

This has become like the Vince Young Wonderlic score. Urban Legend. Felix won't throw up 37 reps or anything but he'll probably finish in the middle of the pack for RB's.
Thank you.
I didn't know that.
But either way, it's not that important, IMO.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;1996539 said:
Speed is about the least valuable asset to a running back. It won't get you very far in the NFL. Having to "break outside" like Felix and Johnson do is actually viewed as a negative when scouting a running back, not a positive.

:laugh2: If speed is not an asset then you're the first to invent this new idea. I suppose you mean, just speed makes one not a complete back. Speed plus all the other goodies makes for a top ten RB.....like McFadden.

Sometimes I think you love to get into a debate so much, you stretch the envelope.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
btcutter;1996543 said:
Game speed? Barber is faster than RR in games? Seriously.

They appear to have similar styles although Barber is more attacking. They look to have about the same football speed to me. Rice does not run away from everyone. Barber does not run away from everyone.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jobberone;1996727 said:
:laugh2: If speed is not an asset then you're the first to invent this new idea. I suppose you mean, just speed makes one not a complete back. Speed plus all the other goodies makes for a top ten RB.....like McFadden.

Sometimes I think you love to get into a debate so much, you stretch the envelope.
I mean exactly what I typed, which (no offense) you apparently didn't read. Speed is the "least valuable asset" to a running back. It is an asset, but it's just not as useful as those "other goodies." It's not a new idea. It's actually common knowledge.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
If McFadden is a home run... This guy is a solid Triple every time. The difference? Jones has shown that he won't go down when his legs are touched. He breaks tackles. McFadden, on the other hand, has yet to prove that. I also think Jones has more shiftiness and vision in limited space. Just my 3 cents.

dfense

Reaction score
cwbyfan72;1995299 said:
i dont know guys.....this guy doesnt seem more than a kick returner to me. No moves, all speed. Tyson Thompsonish.... Rather have Rice.
No moves? What the heck are you watching?

JerryFan

Reaction score
jobberone;1996503 said:
Mendenhall can catch the ball. Stewart looks better to me. I suspect most college RBs get to the game with suspect blocking skills.

I'm talking about McFadden, Stewart and Mendenhall being the first 3 RBs picked. Not the first, second and third pick. There is a reason people have Stewart and Mendenhall swapped in mocks. They are both quality backs with speed, can catch the ball out of the backfield, are fast, and look to be able to translate their game to the next level. To me Stewart looks better. JMO.

I see what you're saying about 1,2,3 now thanks for clearing that up. I just think Mendenhall has "it". The big knock Zook had on 'Shard going into last year was he tried to outrun everyone all the time. Even when he avg his 8.2 ypc his soph year he used his speed and moves more then his power. This year he learned that getting 3-5 yards the hard way is sometimes better then using your speed. I think they're going to both be solid backs in the NFL. I just happen to think 'Shard is going to be special.