Few thoughts about Lance vs Dak

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don’t think Lance is close to unseating Dak as the Cowboys starting QB but I do think in a couple years Lance will be able to develop into a player that gets Dak like results for a fraction of the cost.

We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.

I think the Cowboys have Micah’s contract looming plus having to pay Dak elite QB money again and having nothing at all to show for it may cause them to just part ways if Prescott doesn’t have playoff success in the next couple of seasons.
Next year, Dak is going to make nearly $60 million. We can't wait a couple of years.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If Lance does develop to be a good starting QB like some say, he will NOT be a fraction of the cost in a few years. That rookie contract will be over.
Most likely after next year, we will be able to get him on a cheap deal for a year or two because it isn't likely that he's going to get a chance to prove himself before then. Even if he has a great offseason next year, he's not going to suddenly become the starting QB. Lance is set to be a low-cost backup unless something happens to Dak, Rush plays badly in his place, we're heading for seasonal disaster and so we throw a Hail Mary by inserting Lance ... and he proves worthy of it.

basel90

Reaction score
Jerry got an update on the early negotiations with Dak that Dak wants the richest contract in nfl history ( 52 mil plus a year , 250 mil guaranteed etc ) .

Jerry remembers he had no leverage the last time he had to pay Dak 42 mil . Dak failed to even take the cowboys to the CCG.

Jerry remembers that he interviewed QBs like Jalen Hurts before the 2020 draft and could have drafted him in the second round , (costing 2 mil a year ), and hurts delivered a Super Bowl spot , and almost win a SB ring .

Jerry wants a new card in case Dak wets the bed in big games again . Trey is that card. If Jerry feels he may lose Micah and Cee Dee and other stars because of Dak , then all bets on Dak are off .

gimmesix

Reaction score
Lance has average mechanics and is slow at recognizing coverage.

Luckily he can learn these things but today is not that day.
I understand that. What I'm saying is that we will have to make a decision with Dak next offseason because we're not paying him nearly $60 million for 2024. It's very unlikely that Lance will have had the chance to show enough before then to affect Dak being extended.

So unless Dak sucks so much this year that we cut him rather than extend him, Lance being here is not going to affect the decision. He's going to get some practice snaps running scout team, but that's all. Next preseason, even if he plays great, it will be too late.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Most likely after next year, we will be able to get him on a cheap deal for a year or two because it isn't likely that he's going to get a chance to prove himself before then. Even if he has a great offseason next year, he's not going to suddenly become the starting QB. Lance is set to be a low-cost backup unless something happens to Dak, Rush plays badly in his place, we're heading for seasonal disaster and so we throw a Hail Mary by inserting Lance ... and he proves worthy of it.
I agree but my scenario assumes that he develops into a good starting QB that boots Dak out. In no way does his agent agree to that kind of contract IMO. I’m not talking backup here but the starter. I don’t foresee Lance doing that anytime soon though.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I agree but my scenario assumes that he develops into a good starting QB that boots Dak out. In no way does his agent agree to that kind of contract IMO. I’m not talking backup here but the starter. I don’t foresee Lance doing that anytime soon though.
I just don't know how that's going to happen before he's a free agent in 2024. I guess we do have a fifth-year option that we can use to keep him in 2025. After that preseason, we should have a good idea of his value. However, we'll also have Dak under a new contract (likely before next preseason).

In other words, I don't think the opportunity is going to be there to boot Dak out, so Lance as a backup is going to be a fairly cheap FA signing for someone. I would be surprised, though, if we give Dak a long-term extension for Lance to stay here as a backup. As a former first-rounder, he'll likely look to go somewhere where he has a chance to start, even if he has to take a one-year deal to do it.

The setup for this trade just wasn't conducive to Lance ever being given a shot at starting. Even if the ability is there, I don't think he would have a chance to show it before we have to make a decision about Dak.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don’t think Lance is close to unseating Dak as the Cowboys starting QB but I do think in a couple years Lance will be able to develop into a player that gets Dak like results for a fraction of the cost.

We’ve seen guys like Andy Dalton have a higher win % in Dallas as our starter and Cooper Rush be 5-1.

I think the Cowboys have Micah’s contract looming plus having to pay Dak elite QB money again and having nothing at all to show for it may cause them to just part ways if Prescott doesn’t have playoff success in the next couple of seasons.
What you're not addressing and apparently haven't even thought about is "in a couple of years", you have to give this kid a new contract or let him go. If he has proven he can give you "Dak-like" results then you have to pay him "Dak-like" money. That fraction of the money you're talking about in reality would be negligible.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What you're not addressing and apparently haven't even thought about is "in a couple of years", you have to give this kid a new contract or let him go. If he has proven he can give you "Dak-like" results then you have to pay him "Dak-like" money. That fraction of the money you're talking about in reality would be negligible.
He has 0 leverage.

Verdict

Reaction score
Clearly the Jones family has placed a higher importance on analytics than ever before. Paying top dollar to both Micah Parsons and an aging, ringless Dak Prescott isn't a sustainable team-building formula for the future. If Prescott doesn't deliver at least an NFC Championship, I think the team starts to pivot hard away from Prescott, and sets the wheels in motion for life after Prescott, and Parsons and the defense carry the team into the future with a young QB driving the bus.
I don’t know whether the Cowboys will do that or not, but I think the team will clearly weigh its options in that regard. If Dak is the reason we lose in the playoffs, I think he never sees another contract in Dallas at record setting numbers. If Dak plays lights out and we still lose, then that’s a different story.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I still can’t believe ESPN show Get Up actually said that the Cowboys disrespects Dak constantly. :huh: Making your quarterback the highest paid player in the NFL coming off a season ending ankle injury is disrespectful….
Ha! For the multi multi millions they've disrespectfully paid Dak, I wish they'd disrespect ME like that! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He has 0 leverage.
Not now but in "a couple of years" if you are saying he can deliver "Dak-like" results then he is going to want fair market value for those results. You're not going to avoid paying Dak by paying Trey less.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
This things tend to work themselves out.
Have to give it to Jerry, he always keep things interesting with the Cowboys.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No predictions but Trey Lance has physical ability beyond any previous Cowboys QB...Seriously...Aikman arm with Romo++ athletic ability. I've watched all of his NFL starts multiple times. It's insane that SF gave up on him...he has off the charts physical ability....Arm is unique...Phillip Rivers with RG3 athleticism...

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Is that your expert opinion?
naw, you were saying Pollard got to run for Rush but not poor ole dak. So to me, you are saying Rush is as good or better because he can win as a backup with one guy playing with him. correct?

Is that your expert opinion?

CCBoy

Reaction score
No predictions but Trey Lance has physical ability beyond any previous Cowboys QB...Seriously...Aikman arm with Romo++ athletic ability. I've watched all of his NFL starts multiple times. It's insane that SF gave up on him...he has off the charts physical ability....Arm is unique...Phillip Rivers with RG3 athleticism...

Cowboys Rumors: Dallas outbid AFC contenders to acquire Trey Lance from 49ers​

The Ravens and Bills are two of the most well-run franchises in the NFL, so it speaks volumes both showed interest in Lance. Neither team has an established backup behind Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen, respectively, and both clearly viewed Lance as a low-risk, high-reward acquisition if they could get it over the line.

The Cowboys made sure that didn't happen. During Friday' broadcast of the 49ers' preseason finale against the Chargers, San Francisco general manager John Lynch said "Dallas stepped up and really wanted him [Lance]."

Russini also noted that the 49ers' initial focus was moving Lance to the AFC. That's typically the case when high-profile players -- especially QBs -- are made available. In recent years, Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Baker Mayfield and Carson Wentz were all traded to the opposite conference.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/cowb...afc-contenders-outbid-trey-lance-01h8s9af24hy

By offering a fourth-round pick, the Cowboys forced San Francisco to pivot and deal Lance in-conference, which suggests the Niners were underwhelmed by the conditional sixth-rounders offered by other teams.

Remember, this is a player who burst onto the scene at North Dakota State at 19 years old with numbers comparable to Justin Fields and Joe Burrow.

A chance of scenery is oftentimes all it takes to unlock a player's potential. That could have happened for Lance in Baltimore, Buffalo or even Detroit, but the Cowboys offered the 49ers a deal they couldn't refuse.