First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Romo’s best seasons were perhaps 2006, 2007, and 2014.

Romo did not continue to get better from 2008-2013.

He absolutely did get better in that time span. 2009 was the first season where he actually started to, "get it", in terms of protecting the football. Prior to 2009, he was reckless.

2006: 10 starts, 65.3%, 2,903 yards, 19 TDs, 13 INTs, 9 fumbles
2007: 16 starts, 64.4%, 4,211 yards, 36 TDs, 19 INTs, 10 fumbles
2008: 13 starts, 61.3%, 3,448 yards, 26 TDs, 14 INTs, 13 fumbles

2009: 16 starts, 63.1%, 4,483 yards, 26 TDs, 9 INTs, 6 fumbles
2011: 16 starts, 66.3%, 4,184 yards, 31 TDs, 10 INTs, 7 fumbles
2013: 15 starts, 63.9%, 3,828 yards, 31 TDs, 10 INTs, 4 fumbles​

2011 and 2013 are easily better seasons than 2006 or 2007.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
tells me Romo was the better QB......Romo sat on the bench for 3 years, he also played 4 years in Division II football. Dak played in a major college program, was Heisman candidate and his team was ranked #1 in the nation at one point....so he had much better coaching in college than Romo ever received until he got drafted.

the same problems and issues you read about Dak in college are the exact issues he is having today...which tells me he hasn't improved.

and having a role model you want to emulate is good, but doesn't mean you can be them...btw, Staubach is more Favre than you know

Romo also lost 3 years in the NCAA Division II playoffs but was turning the ball over and over each year (sounds familiar).

Romo went to the college that birthed Sean Payton before Romo, and Jimmy Garropolo after Romo. The Head Coach at Eastern Illinois was there for a Tom Landry like 25 years coaching Romo and Garropolo. So the much better coaching excuse for Dak holds no weight. This school has coaching alumni of Mike Shanahan, Sean Payton, Brad Childress and Dino Babers (HC of Syracuse and QB coached RG3).

Dan Mullens was only at MSU 3 years before Dak was recruited and left 2 years after. Who was Dan Mullens great QB sent to the NFL before Dak? Alex Smith and Tim Tebow...Wow that's great NFL QB coaching...Not!

I am not going to comment on your "Staubach is more like Farve" statement. Because that is just bat crap in space crazy and you know it.

Zman5

Reaction score
Ask yourselves this,

Third and long, how did you feel when Romo took the snap verses Dak?

Or, down by two scores in the fourth?

Did you feel excited that there was at least a chance that Romo could work his magic and get it done?

Do you feel the same about Dak?

It depends.

Pre 2010 Romo. “Don’t throw a stupid int.”
Post 2012 Romo. “ Yeh he got this”

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
There is no question Romo was the better then Prescott will ever be.

Still that doesnt solve our problem. We need a real QB. We are looking for one after Aimans retirement and still have none.

How about invest something into one instead of making stupid deals for WRs.
Right, they are easy to find. We just won’t invest:(

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
You old parents that just learned the word hater need to stop overusing the word out of context. Just because someone doesn't think Dak is good doesn't make them a hater. Stop with the lazy viewpoint.
Hater is a word from the 90’s
Old people in denial think that wasn’t that long ago. ;)

Brax

Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.
Not sure what your point is, you draw inferences to try and suit your view Dak is a great QB, it doesn't work that way,
871 completions 1427 attempts 61% 11431yards 8 ypa 98 td 44 Int 96.4 rating 41 sacks 14 rushing yard 2 rush td (no superbowls ever)
these are first 3 years of Dan Marino, , If there is anyone on this board that would take Dak over Marino ? Stats, numbers can be twisted I guess Dan had no spacial awareness throwing all those , my god those interceptions, Yes you are right Dak is as good as Dan Marino maybe better if you look at his accuracy %,, get real Marino was elite, Romo was great, Dak is neither. Trying to elevate Dak base on stats just doesn't work, you keep trying to twist and manipulate numbers to some how prove Dak is as good as all the QB's that ever played, your constant theme is remember 2016. I find it hard to believe anyone would take Dak over Marino, Brady, Rodgers, Romo, Aikman, etc etc. Like Dak great but give it up Dak isn't great not sure if he is even good at this point. Dak will be the DC starting QB for this year and next guaranteed as Jerry isn't changing QB's. And most likely for more after that as both JJ and SJ think he is elite. (sad thought). All this means is that 5 or 6 years from now is Dallas will still be playing .500 ball Jerry will be saying they are 1 player away, Dak will be throwing the ball in the ground ,over WR heads, out of bounds and the reason with you will still be it's everyone faults but Dak's.

cwbyfn88

Reaction score
Here's the main issues with Dak.

He doesn't go through his reads quick enough.
He can't feel the pressure in the pocket.
He waits for a receiver to be open before he will throw them the ball.
He delivers off-target far too often.

Fix those issues then you fix this offense.
This basically sums up my criticism of Dak. The last one I'd says slightly off target. Not completely off target.
But his Positives are he isn't overly aggressive leading to turn overs at the worst time.
He is tough as nails. With all the hits he has taken bounces right back up.
He is athletic and can hurt you with his feet.
He throws well on the run.
People claim he doesn't have an arm. But this year he showed he does.
And he is a natural leader.

Like you said. Fix the things on your list and we fix our QB

dfense

Reaction score
Listen to crayon tell the story you are wrong. Romo snubbed the wr group to have alone sexy time with Witten. They told TO who was the leader of that group. Romo and to had some words about it. Then TO was gone
TO set the single season WR TD record for the Cowboys. What was there to complain about?

I don't give a damn what Crayton has to say with the game killing boneheaded plays he made in the Giants playoff game. Dogging routes and dropping sure TD's. Without Romo, Crayton was a nobody after he left. He's no better than Dez with his bridge burning whining.

Romo made Crayton. 23 TDs in Dallas, 2 TDs in 2 years in SanDiego.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Maybe not the best offensive setup in history , but it was the the one where any QB could have posted a high QBR.

In other words , Dak's 2016 season wasn''t record blowing in the sense of TD passes or Yards but he did have a high completion percentage and a low INT count wich led to a ridiculously high QBR rating.

That's all Dak did in 2016... he played efficient football.

That is why I said everything was setup for him to play his conservative brand of football and he took advantage.

If any other QB's job was to go out there and throw 20 passes a game facing 2nd and short or 3rd and short with the league's best RB and OLine wouldn't they also do Well?

It is way harder to play QB knowing that you have to keep your team in the game as opposed to going out there knowing it's not on you..

Perfect conditions (playing with a lead or ahead of the chains) rarely happen in the NFL and that's what separates franchize guys from journeymen.

I’m not arguing that it wasn’t a great supporting cast. It was.

What I’m arguing is, somebody saying it was the best situation for a QB in NFL history is a laughable exxageration. It’s simply an over the top statement designed to completely discredit anything Dak did as a rookie. It’s BS.

Yes a great supporting cast. But come on.

And lest we forget. Dak was a rookie. He has the best rookie season in the history of the NFL. Discrediting that completely is asinine. Dak played as well as you could expect any rookie to play, given those circumstances. So he deserves some credit for that at the bare minimum. Just like he deserves blame for not playing well enough right now.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Zeke wasn't close to 2000 yards stop lying man. WItten was washed up to. You could make a case 2007 team had more talent.
1631 rushing
360 receiving...

so now you say Witten is washed up, but same Dak lovers like you say he doesn't have witten any more...witten had 69 catches in 2016. the offense didn't go through witten and Dez any more with Zeke on the team.

the 2007 team didn't have more talent. not on the OL, not at RB. however it was more skilled at QB

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
So you don't want to see Dak succeed? Like how can people be fans of old players that couldn't stay healthy and retired. But won't cheer for the current team? There's deep seeded hatred for one guy over the other. Those folks need help.
I do want to see Dak Succeed. I will eat crow in the town square and put crow in my signature....however, based on what I have seen so far, I don't have high hopes. will things get better? of course, you don't add talent and not get better, but we won't see the needle move much as we should with adding a cooper to the team. Dak lovers will point to the improvement as proof that he can do it if he has talent around him....its not hatred. its no different than hatred of garrett for some. its that we are fans of a team and being fan is being emotional and I like to see the team succeed. I don't see it happening with Dak.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Romo also lost 3 years in the NCAA Division II playoffs but was turning the ball over and over each year (sounds familiar).

Romo went to the college that birthed Sean Payton before Romo, and Jimmy Garropolo after Romo. The Head Coach at Eastern Illinois was there for a Tom Landry like 25 years coaching Romo and Garropolo. So the much better coaching excuse for Dak holds no weight. This school has coaching alumni of Mike Shanahan, Sean Payton, Brad Childress and Dino Babers (HC of Syracuse and QB coached RG3).

Dan Mullens was only at MSU 3 years before Dak was recruited and left 2 years after. Who was Dan Mullens great QB sent to the NFL before Dak? Alex Smith and Tim Tebow...Wow that's great NFL QB coaching...Not!

I am not going to comment on your "Staubach is more like Farve" statement. Because that is just bat crap in space crazy and you know it.
Yes, the turnovers were his issue and Parcells said as much. that he has to control his impulse to make some of the throws and when he does, he can be a great QB. and guess what...that's what he used to do and he got better over time. he IMPROVED. and going to that same college in three different eras has nothing to do with that college producing NFL level QBs. the competition, coaching, the team and level of play at those places are much lower than bigger programs and major college programs. and yes, Dak went to a MAJOR college program where there is more ONE coach coaching the team and the head coach doesn't work with a QB directly ALL THE TIME, they have QB coaches...so trying to spin things so that Romo had a better situation in coaching and environment than Dak going to a major division 1 program doesn't hold water...you are sounding desparate. and more of a dak lover and dak excuser.

stabauch was a scrambler, and during his era he had the tendency to throw down field and he was a great passer. Staubach was more like favre than aikman in the post you had compared ROmo modeling himself after Favre and Dak after Staubach and Aikman. Aikman was a pure pure pure pocket passer. Staubach could scramble and run around a bit.....he wasn't a pure pocket passer....hard to compare eras since the passing game schemes in different eras were different.

what's bat crap space crazy is comparing a division II team to a Division 1 major college program and claiming the division II team is better!!! that's just plain nuts

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak’s better than Romo?

This really should be a litmus test for membership on the forum.
Dak lovers are like garrett supporters...they put blinders on.....they don't watch the games and just look at stat lines...that's all they care about...

now, go to 31 GMs in the league and ask them choose one Romo or Dak? and lets see what they will say...I bet you the results will be 31-0 but I won't spoil it for you

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

What I’m arguing is, somebody saying it was the best situation for a QB in NFL history is a laughable exxageration. It’s simply an over the top statement designed to completely discredit anything Dak did as a rookie. It’s BS.

And lest we forget. Dak was a rookie. He has the best rookie season in the history of the NFL. Discrediting that completely is asinine. Dak played as well as you could expect any rookie to play, given those circumstances. So he deserves some credit for that at the bare minimum. Just like he deserves blame for not playing well enough right now.
if not the best. one of the best. a loaded OL, lauded as the best in the league and one of the best in league history. a top 4 RB, who some discussed could someday be in HOF. a HOF TE that can teach you so much about the game and Dez at the time one of the best WRs in the league.

he was in a very very very very very good situation. Wilson was a rookie too...he improved from year 1 to year 2 to year 3 and led the team to superbowl....Wentz was a rookie too, he improved and was discussed as a potential league MVP before his injury...Goeff was a rookie too....and he IMPROVED......list of QBs who succeeded in the NFL and are succeeding now and improved from year 1 to year 2 to year 3 is quite long.....so is list of those who regressed and were out of the league or became journey men...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not sure what your point is, you draw inferences to try and suit your view Dak is a great QB, it doesn't work that way,
871 completions 1427 attempts 61% 11431yards 8 ypa 98 td 44 Int 96.4 rating 41 sacks 14 rushing yard 2 rush td (no superbowls ever)
these are first 3 years of Dan Marino, , If there is anyone on this board that would take Dak over Marino ? Stats, numbers can be twisted I guess Dan had no spacial awareness throwing all those , my god those interceptions, Yes you are right Dak is as good as Dan Marino maybe better if you look at his accuracy %,, get real Marino was elite, Romo was great, Dak is neither. Trying to elevate Dak base on stats just doesn't work, you keep trying to twist and manipulate numbers to some how prove Dak is as good as all the QB's that ever played, your constant theme is remember 2016. I find it hard to believe anyone would take Dak over Marino, Brady, Rodgers, Romo, Aikman, etc etc. Like Dak great but give it up Dak isn't great not sure if he is even good at this point. Dak will be the DC starting QB for this year and next guaranteed as Jerry isn't changing QB's. And most likely for more after that as both JJ and SJ think he is elite. (sad thought). All this means is that 5 or 6 years from now is Dallas will still be playing .500 ball Jerry will be saying they are 1 player away, Dak will be throwing the ball in the ground ,over WR heads, out of bounds and the reason with you will still be it's everyone faults but Dak's.
:hammer:

and 5 or 6 years from now, everyone will point to the 2016 season and how great he was and they will blame garrett and linehan for ruining his career. Dak will never be the reason for his own failure....

HungryLion

Reaction score
if not the best. one of the best. a loaded OL, lauded as the best in the league and one of the best in league history. a top 4 RB, who some discussed could someday be in HOF. a HOF TE that can teach you so much about the game and Dez at the time one of the best WRs in the league.

he was in a very very very very very good situation. Wilson was a rookie too...he improved from year 1 to year 2 to year 3 and led the team to superbowl....Wentz was a rookie too, he improved and was discussed as a potential league MVP before his injury...Goeff was a rookie too....and he IMPROVED......list of QBs who succeeded in the NFL and are succeeding now and improved from year 1 to year 2 to year 3 is quite long.....so is list of those who regressed and were out of the league or became journey men...

None of what you argued was the point.

So thanks for your feedback anyway.

I also find it amusing. That we are now calling our offense the best supporting cast ever in 2016. When a large majority of the posters on this board want to fire the HC and OC and criticize the GM for being an idiot to trade for a wide receiver not worth of a first round pick, just 2 years later.

Last edited:

Kevinicus

Reaction score
well ya...not saying romo wasn't great. Bledsoe was done...much like E-lie now. Can't move.

He only played with Drew for 5 games though and had 4 tds...3 in one game . So he wasn't horrible by any means.

Eli is the same as he has ever been. No drop at all. No improvement either.

One of those TDs was from Romo and he was getting just over 50 yds a game. Stop.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

I would say it wad the best situation for a rookie QB ever, not any QB.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I do want to see Dak Succeed. I will eat crow in the town square and put crow in my signature....however, based on what I have seen so far, I don't have high hopes. will things get better? of course, you don't add talent and not get better, but we won't see the needle move much as we should with adding a cooper to the team. Dak lovers will point to the improvement as proof that he can do it if he has talent around him....its not hatred. its no different than hatred of garrett for some. its that we are fans of a team and being fan is being emotional and I like to see the team succeed. I don't see it happening with Dak.
Nobody here is a Dak lover or he is the best thing ever. They are fans of the current team. Looking at this offense Dak has been all world great but we don't need him to be. This offense was built as a run first team with a dominant o line. The o line hasn't been close to dominant and zeke hasn't been that consistent. So I don't get hung up over him not throwing for a million yards.