First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

BoysForLife

Reaction score
LOL.

I was responding to a poster's assertion that Romo was using the church league offensive line those years. Sorry but those were good to very good lines for Romo.

Not better than our 2016 line but probably on par with 2017 and much better than what we have seen this year.

And yet positionally they only had a noticeable advantage at one spot of the five along the offensive line

RT. That’s it

So if Romo was playing behind good to very good lines and the only spot where they had a better player was at right tackle, then can we assume that Prescott is playing behind good to great lines?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
And yet positionally they only had a noticeable advantage at one spot of the five along the offensive line

RT. That’s it

So if Romo was playing behind good to very good lines and the only spot where they had a better player was at right tackle, then can we assume that Prescott is playing behind good to great lines?
16 great line
17 good line
18 Average at best.

Reactions: Ken

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Man could imagine if Romo doesnt run TO outta here he would have had miles and TO with Witt. Would have definitely had more playoff appearances.

I don’t agree that Romo “ran Owens out of town” But yes I will concede that having him around would’ve made those teams better

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
None of what you argued was the point.

So thanks for your feedback anyway.

I also find it amusing. That we are now calling our offense the best supporting cast ever in 2016. When a large majority of the posters on this board want to fire the HC and OC and criticize the GM for being an idiot to trade for a wide receiver not worth of a first round pick, just 2 years later.
are you then saying, that Dak didn't have it all so good when he joined cowboys in 2016...I didn't argue that the best ever wasn't an exaggeration, but it was a pretty Ideal situation for a Rookie QB to join a team, compared to some of the other QBs that often end up in rebuilding teams. not the best ever, but among the best...so you are now exaggerating..... you are obviously attempting to make it sound as if Dak walked into a less than good situation and that he was the one who lifted everyone around him and he was the main reason we had success in 2016.....you sound like a dak excuser.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
16 great line
17 good line
18 Average at best.

Frederick is a big loss I will not argue that at all. He is a difference maker

I think Looney is doing an admirable job filling in but looney is not Frederick

I think we had a dominant offensive line in 16 and a top-five offensive line last year

This year they are probably not at that level but they are still a lot better than what people are saying in my Opinion. Definitely top half of the league

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I don’t agree that Romo “ran Owens out of town” But yes I will concede that having him around would’ve made those teams better
What do you mean of course he did. He and TO bumped heads Romo cried to daddy Jones and Jones released him. If Romo were a man they would of hashed it out. Knowing he's been a 1,000 yard wr for him it was short sighted for him and might have damaged his own career.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nobody here is a Dak lover or he is the best thing ever. They are fans of the current team. Looking at this offense Dak has been all world great but we don't need him to be. This offense was built as a run first team with a dominant o line. The o line hasn't been close to dominant and zeke hasn't been that consistent. So I don't get hung up over him not throwing for a million yards.
and that's the point, when things aren't PERFECT around dak he falls apart. he is a bus driver not a difference maker and that's the point. nothing wrong with being a bus driver. but when situation is less than perfect, then we end up where we end up...a below average team...and if not for defense being great as they have been this year, probably a 1-6 team.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Frederick is a big loss I will not argue that at all. He is a difference maker

I think Looney is doing an admirable job filling in but looney is not Frederick

I think we had a dominant offensive line in 16 and a top-five offensive line last year

This year they are probably not at that level but they are still a lot better than what people are saying in my Opinion. Definitely top half of the league
It was top 5 the first 8 games. Where it is now the last 8 games. Hence why these o line coaches keep getting blown out. Too much talent invested to give up stupid penalties and pressures.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
That was my whole point.

Why wasn't Owens a world beaters with Drew Bledsoe?

Romo and Bledsoe had the exact same team and coordinators and yet, we know how Bledsoe looked..
You're not making a realistic or fair comparison.
Owens only played 6 games with Bledsoe in 2006.
It's hard to have a convo with fans who like to claim other fans' "don't understand" yet make irrelevant statements.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
and that's the point, when things aren't PERFECT around dak he falls apart. he is a bus driver not a difference maker and that's the point. nothing wrong with being a bus driver. but when situation is less than perfect, then we end up where we end up...a below average team...and if not for defense being great as they have been this year, probably a 1-6 team.
I meant to say hasn't been all world great my bad. But when you invest a 4th round pick in a QB you hope he gets better and doesn't turn the ball over. He's done just that. He's played better than alot of top pick qbs. Our team invested 3 1st round picks 1 2nd round pick and a 1st round talent on the O line and a 4th overall pick on a RB. 4th round pick on qb. A 3rd round wr with a bunch of undrafted guys at WR. TE's undrafted guy starting 6th and 4th rounder behind him. Just looking at the money and investments on the offensive side of the ball we shouldn't expect our QB to be slinging it all over the place.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Some are still suggesting that Romo could have come in and finished the 2016 season with a Superbowl win/appearance. Suggesting that Dak had a much better team than Romo has. Saying that if Romo had Zeke/the O line/the 2016 Cowboys how he would have won it all. So, to me some are implying how Romo couldn't win it all or go deeper into the playoffs due to the team around him more than Romo himself.

Even acting like Dak's O line/weapons are light years better than any Romo had. Romo's inability to win a Superbowl is very much placed on the other players he had on his teams.
Maybe, we will never know because the staff decided to ride the winning streak. Who in their right mind wouldn't do the same?

What we DO know is that Romo had plenty of opportunities and couldn't close the deal. That's not a bash, so the hypersensitive Romo-rooters can just settle the **** down.
His very first season was a very solid team. Playoff caliber. I won't hate on him for blowing the game, but it happened.
To offer perspective, Seattle went on and lost to Chicago by only 3 points. Dallas was good enough to do the same. Then, Chicago kicked the **** out of New Orleans. It's realistic to assume we could have had the same success. Chicago went to the Super Bowl.

That's my version of "would of -could of." If Romo doesn't lose us that game we could have gone to the Super bowl.
And there are a fair amounts of late season games & postseason opportunities as well

HungryLion

Reaction score
are you then saying, that Dak didn't have it all so good when he joined cowboys in 2016...I didn't argue that the best ever wasn't an exaggeration, but it was a pretty Ideal situation for a Rookie QB to join a team, compared to some of the other QBs that often end up in rebuilding teams. not the best ever, but among the best...so you are now exaggerating..... you are obviously attempting to make it sound as if Dak walked into a less than good situation and that he was the one who lifted everyone around him and he was the main reason we had success in 2016.....you sound like a dak excuser.

I didn’t say that at all.

HungryLion

Reaction score
People complain that Romo never had a great supporting cast.

Some people then state that Dak had the best supporting cast in the history of the NFL in 2016. Despite the fact that same supporting cast was almost a carbon copy of the offense Romo had in 2014.

Hmmmm

Brax

Reaction score
Looking at this offense Dak has been all world great .
You can't really mean this? Loving you some Dak is one thing but "all world great" even you can't sell that BS. Good, fair all right your a team guy I get it , or was this meant as a satirical post on your part.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
You can't really mean this? Loving you some Dak is one thing but "all world great" even you can't sell that BS. Good, fair all right your a team guy I get it , or was this meant as a satirical post on your part.
It was a typo. I meant to say has not been all world great.

blueblood70

Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Just like Garett Dak seems to make the same mistakes over and over I dont see progress I see a flattening off now as we are getting a larger sample size..hes just Average and may not ever be anything more.. Romo had many years he could have been MVP had he not played in the AR,BRady, and ridiculous Pmanning years..

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.
the larger issue is Romo was UNDRASFTED played in a smaller college program and sat because he was RAW.. He got better as his career progressed and turned into a GREAT QB..Dak started out overachieving and now had regressed and getting worse..this might be the best we ever see Dak..when room lef t IF healthy Romo would still be playing at atop 10 Level..Im hoping im wrong I wish Dak success but a blind person can see that Romo was a pure passer with exceptional pocket awareness..sure his gunslinger mentality coughed up afew more INts but overall he had more then a 2-1 INT ratio for his career, Better then a ton of great NFL/DC QBs.I rather have a Cousins/Rivers/ELI type that fling it and take risk downfield in order to make plays and not settle for sacks or dump offs as their primary game.. Dak doesnt suk like all that say he does but he is what he is and it isn't a pocket based QB that likes to push the ball downfield more and looks for TDs VS simply making completions..

these are bad comparisons because Dak started out on fire and now is who he is Romo started slow and IMO stats dont lie his overall career in the regular season was better then any QB to ever play for the DCs..yes over Aikman and Staubach etc etc Dak is not on his way to that with being in the bottom 5 of passers the last two years..

Brax

Reaction score
What do you mean of course he did. He and TO bumped heads Romo cried to daddy Jones and Jones released him. If Romo were a man they would of hashed it out. Knowing he's been a 1,000 yard wr for him it was short sighted for him and might have damaged his own career.
I think TO was his own worse enemy in the final year, Loved TO , but like every where else he played his paranoid problems came out, sad it end that way.

Ken

Reaction score
the larger issue is Romo was UNDRASFTED played in a smaller college program and sat because he was RAW.. He got better as his career progressed and turned into a GREAT QB..Dak started out overachieving and now had regressed and getting worse..this might be the best we ever see Dak..when room lef t IF healthy Romo would still be playing at atop 10 Level..Im hoping im wrong I wish Dak success but a blind person can see that Romo was a pure passer with exceptional pocket awareness..sure his gunslinger mentality coughed up afew more INts but overall he had more then a 2-1 INT ratio for his career, Better then a ton of great NFL/DC QBs.I rather have a Cousins/Rivers/ELI type that fling it and take risk downfield in order to make plays and not settle for sacks or dump offs as their primary game.. Dak doesnt suk like all that say he does but he is what he is and it isn't a pocket based QB that likes to push the ball downfield more and looks for TDs VS simply making completions..

these are bad comparisons because Dak started out on fire and now is who he is Romo started slow and IMO stats dont lie his overall career in the regular season was better then any QB to ever play for the DCs..yes over Aikman and Staubach etc etc Dak is not on his way to that with being in the bottom 5 of passers the last two years..
It is 39 games no matter how you slice it. The numbers are what they are. They are absolutely two COMPLETELY different players. Dak isn't the passer that Romo was and Romo wasn't the runner. Romo could scramble to buy time and so can Dak. Romo's pocket presence was great...Prescott's could be better.

Dak wasn't ready to step into a starting role either. His mechanics and learning to take a snap from under center were things he was supposed to learn from the bench. He was thrust into starting and never looked back.

It also wasn't just his rookie year. He was among league leaders in a number of categories through half the season last year. Also, his total QBR was top 5 in the league last year.

This year he is working with chicken feed and has started showing signs of life. Hopefully Cooper can help with that.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I think TO was his own worse enemy in the final year, Loved TO , but like every where else he played his paranoid problems came out, sad it end that way.
But it's funny that the only QB that loves TO is the only Hall of Fame QB he's ever played with.