First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I agree, hope changes help, giving more time is the key for him. Should be a interesting next couple of games.
There is one thing everyone can agree on this team needs to run the ball better, the line looks terrible and the wrs are tough to watch. I think all of dak's ints have come from hitting a wr's hands.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
People complain that Romo never had a great supporting cast.

Some people then state that Dak had the best supporting cast in the history of the NFL in 2016. Despite the fact that same supporting cast was almost a carbon copy of the offense Romo had in 2014.

Hmmmm

Right, Dak supporters are accuse of blaming the other players or trying to shift blame to anything else besides Dak. And say that Dak supporters avoid holding him fully responsible for his mistakes, regression, and flawed plays. But, some Romo supporters pretty much do the same. Blaming the supporting cast or other circumstances to avoid holding Romo fully responsible.

There maybe some on both sides who go far to excuse the QB that they support in this Romo vs Dak debate.

Some Dak fans do this to excuse Dak for his poor games or the regression he has had since 2016.

Some Romo fans do this to excuse the team not winning a Superbowl with Romo under center.

There's no doubt that Dak has a lot of work to do and that he needs to improve his game and QB production in some key eras. I have said that if Dak isn't the answer how the Cowboys need to move on.

However when some compare the supporting cast in their debate of uplifting Romo over Dak, I still don't get why some have to diminish the supporting cast Romo had, especially offensively to make their point. Just like some hold it against Dak for saying how he needs the "perfect team" to be successful or he can only be successful with certain players like Zeke. Just to then around and use Romo not having the same 2016 "perfect team", as an excuse for why Romo didn't win it all. Which is assuming Romo needs certain players or a certain supporting cast to get it done. Yet, Dak needing certain players and a certain supporting cast is used against him, where it is used for the support of Romo.

Last edited:

Little Jr

Reaction score
Right, Dak supporters are accuse of blaming the other players or trying to shift blame to anything else besides Dak. And say that Dak supporters avoid holding him fully responsible for his mistakes, regression, and flawed plays. But, some Romo supporters pretty much do the same. Blaming the supporting cast or other circumstances to avoid holding Romo fully responsible.

There maybe some on both sides who go far to excuse the QB that they support in this Romo vs Dak debate.

Some Dak fans do this to excuse Dak for his poor games or the regression he has had since 2016.

Some Romo fans do this to excuse the team not winning a Superbowl with Romo under center.

There's no doubt that Dak has a lot of work to do and that he needs to improve his game and QB production in some key eras. I have said that if Dak isn't the answer how the Cowboys need to move on.

However when compare the supporting cast in their debate of uplifting Romo over Dak, I still don't get why some have to diminish the supporting cast Romo had, especially offensively to make their point. Just like some hold it against Dak for saying how he needs the "perfect team" to be successful or he can only be successful with certain players like Zeke. Just to then around and use Romo not having the same 2016 "perfect team", as an excuse for why Romo didn't win it all. Which is assuming Romo needs certain players or a certain supporting cast to get it done. Yet, Dak needing certain players and a certain supporting cast is used against him, where it is used for the support of Romo.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Some of the same things I said when defending Romo are the same things I say when defending Dak. That's because, some of the same things people say about Dak are the same thing's people said about Romo.

Flamma

Reaction score
Romo took more chances downfield. Hence the yards and TDs to go with the int's and slightly lower %.

Excellent point. I've repeated this quote many times in here. There are three types of lies, lies, damn lies, and statistics. There are several factors involved when creating those statistics. Had someone that did not see either QB play looked at those statistics they'd come to a false conclusion, hence the lie.

HungryLion

Reaction score

However when some compare the supporting cast in their debate of uplifting Romo over Dak, I still don't get why some have to diminish the supporting cast Romo had, especially offensively to make their point. Just like some hold it against Dak for saying how he needs the "perfect team" to be successful or he can only be successful with certain players like Zeke. Just to then around and use Romo not having the same 2016 "perfect team", as an excuse for why Romo didn't win it all. Which is assuming Romo needs certain players or a certain supporting cast to get it done. Yet, Dak needing certain players and a certain supporting cast is used against him, where it is used for the support of Romo.

Lol right, plus last year. The supporting cast on offense fell apart between Zekes suspension and OL injury issues. How did the cowboys finish?

9-7.

Hmm. Where have we seen that before.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
A few notes:

* I was and will always be an ardent Romo Fanatic.
* Posting these to hopefully put into perspective our current qb
*Romo's first start happened mid season in year 3 of his career at the age of 26. Dak is still 25. These numbers represent the first 39 starts of their respective careers, not including playoffs.
*Romo's weapons were 2006- Owens + Glenn (both 1000 yards), Prime Witten, Crayton as 33rd wr, Barber and JJ (combined for 1800+ and 18tds) 2007- same minus Glenn, 2008- Mostly same, add Bennett, Felix jones, remove JJ.

*Dak's weapons in passing not close to what Romo was working with, Dak did have better OL at least one year and Zeke.
Romo- In a more wide open passing offense vs heavy run offense for Dak.

Romo

815 completions, 1280 attempts- 63.67% 10,300 yards, 8.0 YPA, 78 TDs, 43 Ints, 95 Rating, 63 sacks, 263 rush yards, 2 rush tds

Prescott

747 completions, 1155 attempts, 64.7%, 8408 yards, 7.3 ypa, 53 TDs, 21 ints, 94 rating, 80 sacks, 875 rush yards, 14 rush tds

My takeways: Dak's completion percentage is actually higher than Romo's. Does this mean Romo was inaccurate? More than twice the interceptions in about 100 more attempts, was Romo's "spatial awareness" still developing? Dak sacked at a much higher rate. 80 tds for Romo to 67 for Dak. Qb rating very similar.

Total yards: 10,563 for Romo. Dak, 9,283.

Dak has been sacked 55 times last 23 games. Insane. The OL is such a mess despite all the money and draft picks.

Reactions: Ken

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Just let me know when it's fair to judge Dak.

This is a pointless debate anymore because the pro-Dak crowd simply just has a list of excuses for any and all of his issues.

So at this point, just let me know when the clock actually starts on when we can judge Dak. It will save me a lot of time.
ROFL.

In another words you wanna cry about the QB even though the issue isn't really the QB but let you know when it is because you got a lot of tears ready to go.

Dak has performed as well as any young QB. He is not far surpassing expectations as he did in 2016 but he IS meeting them.
And only complete dolts have expectations beyond what Dak has done given the weapons around him.

If you lack the mental acuity to judge him fairly there will never come a time you should judge him at all.
That's a you problem, not a Dak problem.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Romo>>Dak. Call me a Romo lover if you want.

80 sacks for Dak with a better OL than what Romo had his entire career except for the year they went 13-3 08? That's extremely telling. Dak hold the ball too long. Sure there are lots of variables (WR, TE, RB, OL) but you'll never to make it completely apples to apples comparison. Tapes don't lie.
Based on those stats Romo was not better.
He made an insane amount of mistakes.
And that mistake mantra followed him his entire career even when he grew out of it.

Much like the nonsense bashing of Dak now idiots were claiming Romo wasn't any good when he had become a top 7 QB.

Nexx

Reaction score

There is a big difference. Romo produced. Cowboys might not have won every game or won a Super Bowl but Romo did his part by throwing TD's and moving the team. Dak isn't producing. The amount of sub 200 yard games with 1td or less is disgusting. Yardage does matter even if it doesnt result in TD cause you get your team more field goal attempts and you keep your defense fresh. No one is perfect and mistakes will happen. Both Dak and Romo have made mistakes but Dak does not produce.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I meant to say hasn't been all world great my bad. But when you invest a 4th round pick in a QB you hope he gets better and doesn't turn the ball over. He's done just that. He's played better than alot of top pick qbs. Our team invested 3 1st round picks 1 2nd round pick and a 1st round talent on the O line and a 4th overall pick on a RB. 4th round pick on qb. A 3rd round wr with a bunch of undrafted guys at WR. TE's undrafted guy starting 6th and 4th rounder behind him. Just looking at the money and investments on the offensive side of the ball we shouldn't expect our QB to be slinging it all over the place.
so we should excuse his poor play because he is a 4th rounder? after three years, all excuses about which round you were drafted goes out the door. the QBs that got drafted higher and fizzled is not our problem, its somebody else scouting issue. at the end of the day, if he is a 4th rounder and is playing like a 4th rounder, then he is holding us back...lets get someone who is better.....lets invest in a QB with higher picks, lets make a trade and move up and get a talented QB. because unless we do, we will waste all the years with Zeke, Martin, cooper etc. because we are going to wait for dak to get better and sorry, I haven't seen him improve and this has nothing to do with the 13-3 of 2016. he is showing the same flaws he showed his first year and even worse.

sideon

Reaction score
He had a way better receiving corps.
This is solid work.

I am very much in the same boat as you. Dak's weapons this year have been terrible.

In week one, we had a set with about the worst skill positions ever on the field at the same time.

I think we had Thompson and Williams as our WRs, along with Swaim and Jarwin out there, and Rod Smith split wide.
Ya'll keep forgetting that his terrible weapons have been getting open and Dak doesn't see them. The main thing that hurt both of these QBs is that they have a dummy for a HC.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Maybe, we will never know because the staff decided to ride the winning streak. Who in their right mind wouldn't do the same?

What we DO know is that Romo had plenty of opportunities and couldn't close the deal. That's not a bash, so the hypersensitive Romo-rooters can just settle the **** down.
His very first season was a very solid team. Playoff caliber. I won't hate on him for blowing the game, but it happened.
To offer perspective, Seattle went on and lost to Chicago by only 3 points. Dallas was good enough to do the same. Then, Chicago kicked the **** out of New Orleans. It's realistic to assume we could have had the same success. Chicago went to the Super Bowl.

That's my version of "would of -could of." If Romo doesn't lose us that game we could have gone to the Super bowl.
And there are a fair amounts of late season games & postseason opportunities as well
I would have replaced Dak with Romo. winning streak or not. that was a financial/marketing decision as opposed to a football decision. that OL, that RB and Romo showed he can win a playoff game with that and if not for a catch, called a non catch, we would have beat GB. can't fight that.

Jerry/Stephen rode the dak wave to sell more jersey's and fill more seats..... now we are paying the price. that's the crux of the problem with Jerry for the past 25 years. we make marketing decisions not football decisions. Cooper is another example of marketing decision. less people going to stadium. jersey sales lagging. inject some hope, get them to come back. and when Dak jersey sales plummet and more people dont' show up, he will do something drastic, get rid of Dak and find another player and inject more hope....Jerry is really really really good in that.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Couldn't have said it better myself. Some of the same things I said when defending Romo are the same things I say when defending Dak. That's because, some of the same things people say about Dak are the same thing's people said about Romo.

Huh? The things people say couldn't be more different.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
the larger issue is Romo was UNDRASFTED played in a smaller college program and sat because he was RAW.. He got better as his career progressed and turned into a GREAT QB..Dak started out overachieving and now had regressed and getting worse..this might be the best we ever see Dak..when room lef t IF healthy Romo would still be playing at atop 10 Level..Im hoping im wrong I wish Dak success but a blind person can see that Romo was a pure passer with exceptional pocket awareness..sure his gunslinger mentality coughed up afew more INts but overall he had more then a 2-1 INT ratio for his career, Better then a ton of great NFL/DC QBs.I rather have a Cousins/Rivers/ELI type that fling it and take risk downfield in order to make plays and not settle for sacks or dump offs as their primary game.. Dak doesnt suk like all that say he does but he is what he is and it isn't a pocket based QB that likes to push the ball downfield more and looks for TDs VS simply making completions..

these are bad comparisons because Dak started out on fire and now is who he is Romo started slow and IMO stats dont lie his overall career in the regular season was better then any QB to ever play for the DCs..yes over Aikman and Staubach etc etc Dak is not on his way to that with being in the bottom 5 of passers the last two years..
I think this is a fair analysis. I have always argued that NFL QBs need to have the skills to pass from the pocket effectively. It doesn't mean we have to have pocket passers ala Aikman or Brady, but every QB has to have the ability to stand in the pocket, move around and make passes down field....the scrambling, running, etc. is icing on the cake but not necessarily. Seems like Dak can scramble, run and make a few throws on the run, but he mightily struggles from the pocket. he makes plays when things breakdown, but given his inaccuracy, he struggles from traditional play execution because of it

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I would have replaced Dak with Romo. winning streak or not. that was a financial/marketing decision as opposed to a football decision. that OL, that RB and Romo showed he can win a playoff game with that and if not for a catch, called a non catch, we would have beat GB. can't fight that.

Jerry/Stephen rode the dak wave to sell more jersey's and fill more seats..... now we are paying the price. that's the crux of the problem with Jerry for the past 25 years. we make marketing decisions not football decisions. Cooper is another example of marketing decision. less people going to stadium. jersey sales lagging. inject some hope, get them to come back. and when Dak jersey sales plummet and more people dont' show up, he will do something drastic, get rid of Dak and find another player and inject more hope....Jerry is really really really good in that.
The only thing romo showed is he couldn't take a hit.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
so we should excuse his poor play because he is a 4th rounder? after three years, all excuses about which round you were drafted goes out the door. the QBs that got drafted higher and fizzled is not our problem, its somebody else scouting issue. at the end of the day, if he is a 4th rounder and is playing like a 4th rounder, then he is holding us back...lets get someone who is better.....lets invest in a QB with higher picks, lets make a trade and move up and get a talented QB. because unless we do, we will waste all the years with Zeke, Martin, cooper etc. because we are going to wait for dak to get better and sorry, I haven't seen him improve and this has nothing to do with the 13-3 of 2016. he is showing the same flaws he showed his first year and even worse.
I agree with you. I think they should think long and hard before extending Dak to a big contract. I felt the same way about Romo then they overpaid him giving him SB mvp money. I didn't think Romo was the answer and as of right now I don't know if Dak is the answer. Either way this front office needs to find out sooner than 10 years this time.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
we make marketing decisions not football decisions.

I don't know about that, drafting a bunch of offensive linemen doesn't strike me as marketing, linemen are a pretty obscure bunch for the most part. Romo was definitely a popular figure in Dallas, but Jerry let him go. Same with Ware. Marketing would demand that he keep both, but he didn't.

The problem is that Jerry desperately wants to win another SB, without Jimmy or Jimmy's players. Just watch after SB XXX, with Jerry trying to grab the trophy away from Switzer. But that desperation leads him to short term decisions, like letting Romo go when Dak had a great first year. He didn't consider that maybe Dak would fall off, performance-wise, after that year. Now he gets Cooper, who if he does good this year will demand a high price next year, and cause cap problems, but Jerry's not thinking about next year.

Every team makes decisions based at least partially on marketing, they don't want to lose money on the team, regardless if they're making money in other ways. But they stick to marketing decisions and let football people make football decisions, Jerry tries to do both...

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Right, they are easy to find. We just won’t invest:(

OK.

List all the investments (draft picks or FA signings) in QBs we made after Aikman retired.
Then associate them with the investment other teams did at that position.

And we are talking about finding a starting QB. Not the investments for backups.

Then we will talk again about your found data and judge how this FO values the most important position in this game.

starcity214

Reaction score

This is stupid..

How many times did Romo finish in the bottom half in passing in the NFL ?

How many times did his defense finish in the top 10?

With Romo , the offense was never the problem. It was the defense.

Since Dak has started, we have had a good defense and a bottom half passing attack.

It's like , people don't want to see the obvious.

starcity214

Reaction score
OK.

List all the investments (draft picks or FA signings) in QBs we made after Aikman retired.
Then associate them with the investment other teams did at that position.

And we are talking about finding a starting QB. Not the investments for backups.

Then we will talk again about your found data and judge how this FO values the most important position in this game.

This.

You get what you pay for.

People keep saying "Dak is average but it could be worse!!! Remember how bad we were before Romo!!"

The reason we were so bad before Romo was because we didn't invest in the position.

Parcels was happy having veteran has beens as his QBs and we went cheap.

Before Romo, Aaron Rodgers was available among other good QBs that came into the league in those years but we were happy with the Drew Hensons and vinny Testaverdes of the world..

We are doing the same with Dak. Wasting time and the careers of some good players on a project. If you want a good QB, you're going to have to spend a premium. Tom Brady was an outlier... You can't go around in life hoping to get lucky. Most if not all of the top 15 QBs are first rounders for a reason!

I hate how this franchize under values the position.