First 39 Starts of career- Romo/Prescott

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
LOL now you’re including his receiving yards? You were talking about his rushing yards don’t try to add crap.

2007 Witten and TO in their prime is better than any current cowboys offensive player (both HOFers not sure they have one at skill position right now).

69 catches for how many yards and TDS? Romo is a better passer I never said he wasn’t. Dark is the better runner and they seem to play better when he’s running.

Also 2007 team had a HOFer on defense with some very good players. 2016 defense had none that I can remember.
Good post, I agree. Romo was a better passing at this stage of Prescott's career and there's nothing wrong with that if they utilize what this team is great at.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Can we stop this mis representation please?

I'm not saying TO wasn't good. He is a HOF receiver and deservedly so.
But he was 34 years old in 2007.

34 years old is absolutely NOT "in your prime" for a professional athlete. TO was still darn good but he was not 'in his prime'.

For pete's sake, Dez turns 30 in a few days and people said he needed to go because he was washed up and over the hill.
While you're not wrong, so what? 3 seasons later he just about had 1,000 yards in Cincinnati.

You're kind of making it look like Owens wasn't an elite HOF caliber WR his entire career. Owens was a physically fit freak of nature well past 34. Hell, he still is!

BoysForLife

Reaction score
While you're not wrong, so what? 3 seasons later he just about had 1,000 yards in Cincinnati.

You're kind of making it look like Owens wasn't an elite HOF caliber WR his entire career. Owens was a physically fit freak of nature well past 34. Hell, he still is!

TO was a darn good player. I'm sure Romo benefitted from having a receiver of that caliber for his first year or two under center. I won't argue that.

He was not in his prime in 2007. 34 is past your prime. Still good. Heck. Still great.
But not in his prime. I just bristle at this repeated mantra that Romo "had TO in his prime". If we are going to be charged to assess Romo accurately and not romantically, then I would think we would be charged to do the same thing with the guys he wsa throwing the ball to.

Unless Romo was the QB for the Niners in the early 2000's, then he did not have TO in his prime. That's all I"m saying. Nothing more, nothing less.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak has been sacked 55 times last 23 games. Insane. The OL is such a mess despite all the money and draft picks.
dak is also responsible for that...he needs to step up in the pocket, stop scrambling and stop pulling the ball down and make quicker throws. current 18 stats show he holds the ball average of 3 seconds....league average about 2.6.....yes, half a second is everything in the NFL

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
TO was a darn good player. I'm sure Romo benefitted from having a receiver of that caliber for his first year or two under center. I won't argue that.

He was not in his prime in 2007. 34 is past your prime. Still good. Heck. Still great.
But not in his prime. I just bristle at this repeated mantra that Romo "had TO in his prime". If we are going to be charged to assess Romo accurately and not romantically, then I would think we would be charged to do the same thing with the guys he wsa throwing the ball to.

Unless Romo was the QB for the Niners in the early 2000's, then he did not have TO in his prime. That's all I"m saying. Nothing more, nothing less.
Fair enough, but who cares? Nitpicking. Owens NOT in his prime was still better than anything Prescott has to work with. That's really what most fans are acknowledge.

Last edited:

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

Romo also did well before TO came here with Terry Glenn. And I thought things were going to be ugly, but Romo was a good combo with Miles. Romo seemed to do well with just about any receiver you put out there, minus maybe an under performing roy williams, who even then seemed to do okay, but not to #1 standards.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't know about that, drafting a bunch of offensive linemen doesn't strike me as marketing, linemen are a pretty obscure bunch for the most part. Romo was definitely a popular figure in Dallas, but Jerry let him go. Same with Ware. Marketing would demand that he keep both, but he didn't.

The problem is that Jerry desperately wants to win another SB, without Jimmy or Jimmy's players. Just watch after SB XXX, with Jerry trying to grab the trophy away from Switzer. But that desperation leads him to short term decisions, like letting Romo go when Dak had a great first year. He didn't consider that maybe Dak would fall off, performance-wise, after that year. Now he gets Cooper, who if he does good this year will demand a high price next year, and cause cap problems, but Jerry's not thinking about next year.

Every team makes decisions based at least partially on marketing, they don't want to lose money on the team, regardless if they're making money in other ways. But they stick to marketing decisions and let football people make football decisions, Jerry tries to do both...
well, jerry still makes marketing decision. Stephen and Garrett have been able to hold him in check a little. Lets not forget he drafted Smith, because he wanted to protect Romo, his most marktable commodity at the time. He wanted to Draft manziel and he said as much himself.

I don't deny the fact he so desparatley wants to win a superbowl..but he doesn't make the right decisions to get the team there.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Please stop. Romo showed that not only could he not win a playoff game, but that he could win games to get into the playoffs.

As far as the GB game I find it a little sad that fans still think it was a catch. And, that even if it was, it doesn't mean we win.
All the Romo-rooters claim Romo was in control of the offense and was calling the plays, changing them on and on. So why throw a 50/50 instead of getting a very short 1st down?
so lets get it straight, you take Dak over Romo? right?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
LOL now you’re including his receiving yards? You were talking about his rushing yards don’t try to add crap.

2007 Witten and TO in their prime is better than any current cowboys offensive player (both HOFers not sure they have one at skill position right now).

69 catches for how many yards and TDS? Romo is a better passer I never said he wasn’t. Dark is the better runner and they seem to play better when he’s running.

Also 2007 team had a HOFer on defense with some very good players. 2016 defense had none that I can remember.
I said, Zeke had almost 2000 yards...I didn't say rushing yards....and before you go getting hung up on your math, 1600 yards is nothing to sneeze at.... tell me which QB wouldn't take that?

and yes, Dak is a better runner, perhaps he should switch to being a RB!!! his Job is to throw, be accurate, read defenses,..... QBs don't get millions to run with the ball

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Romo was a very good QB. He did very well when he had very good WRs. What a revelation!

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I don’t agree that Romo “ran Owens out of town” But yes I will concede that having him around would’ve made those teams better

I think at that point of time Miles > TO. Heck, if Miles didn't have all those Hamstring injuries, he would've been something great.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
well, jerry still makes marketing decision. Stephen and Garrett have been able to hold him in check a little. Lets not forget he drafted Smith, because he wanted to protect Romo, his most marktable commodity at the time. He wanted to Draft manziel and he said as much himself.

I don't deny the fact he so desparatley wants to win a superbowl..but he doesn't make the right decisions to get the team there.

That's what I said, totally agree

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Gotta love that the last time Tony Romo won more than 3 games in a season was 2014 but we are STILL talking about that dude like he'd trot out there and win us 12 games.

Tony was great but we never got it right around him. In his 13 year career he won 10+ games only 3 times and only had 6 playoff games.

Well beyond time to move the heck on.