Video: Fish: “Cowboys Talking to KJ Wright”

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It is like this every year in free agency, former star players want the money based on past performances and teams want to low ball to save money. IF, a big if, Dallas is really talking with KJ Wright and supposedly Richard Sherman, it is probably talk for talk sake. Doubt if Dallas is going to pay anywhere near what they want and certainly at most a 2 year deal (with 2 voidable years added to spread the bonus money out) so if they do sign one or both it would be a shocker to me, nice shocker but shocker.

Now, could we use them, certainly. It would cover up some holes (or perceived by we fans as holes) in the defense. The other item on those two and any other free agents is that most teams are getting to the point where they will wait until after the draft to sign any other veterans to cover what they didn't cover in the draft. The other point we should not forget is that all these guys we are signing are one year deals meaning if we don't find a suitable replacement in the draft, we are going to go through the same thing next year. Not a pretty sight at all.

Players are taking one year deals because the cap is down. That's the only reason, in most cases. But signing those guys is okay with me, Cowboys probably aren't winning the SB this year even if they were able to sign Surtain, Pitts, Barmore and Slater. Draft some guys that you think can be good players for the next few years, and make a run for the SB then...

LittleD

Reaction score
Forget the idea of KJ Wright. His agent is just looking for money and using Dallas to drum up interest. If Dallas had an inkling that he would take a 1yr bridge deal for less than 2mil, he would
already be in Dallas. He's not and looking for much more money than Dallas would pay him. Very good player trying for one more big payday.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
Players are taking one year deals because the cap is down. That's the only reason, in most cases. But signing those guys is okay with me, Cowboys probably aren't winning the SB this year even if they were able to sign Surtain, Pitts, Barmore and Slater. Draft some guys that you think can be good players for the next few years, and make a run for the SB then...
That's speculation at its highest but, probably true. Let us please just get the ship in the right direction.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Forget the idea of KJ Wright. His agent is just looking for money and using Dallas to drum up interest. If Dallas had an inkling that he would take a 1yr bridge deal for less than 2mil, her would
already be in Dallas. He's not and looking for much more money than Dallas would pay him. Very good player trying for one more big payday.

At 32 years old (at season's start) he'd be a fool, imho, to take even a 2 year deal, IF he can get a longer one somewhere. Yes I know players play longer than years ago, but you never know, if I'm him I'm taking less money per year in exchange for a long term deal...

Carson

Reaction score
Forget the idea of KJ Wright. His agent is just looking for money and using Dallas to drum up interest. If Dallas had an inkling that he would take a 1yr bridge deal for less than 2mil, he would
Agreed with this. Doesn’t shock me his agent is Todd France

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I had them taking Pete Werner in my most recent mock draft.

10: R1 P10 CB Caleb Farley - Virginia Tech
44: R2 P12 DL Tyler Shelvin - LSU
75: R3 P11 S Jevon Holland - Oregon
99: R3 P35 LB Jabril Cox - LSU
115: R4 P10 LB Pete Werner - Ohio State
138: R4 P33 C Quinn Meinerz - Wisconsin-Whitewater
179: R5 P35 DL Bobby Brown III - Texas A&M
192: R6 P8 CB DJ Daniel - Georgia
227: R6 P43 S Chris Brown - Texas
238: R7 P10 S Jaquan Brisker - Penn State

Think you might have to switch Shelvin and Cox's order to get them and I would like a OT rather then C, but otherwise like it a lot.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think you might have to switch Shelvin and Cox's order to get them and I would like a OT rather then C, but otherwise like it a lot.

Thank you!

As a matter of fact, I wasn’t even looking at C, but Meinerz was such value there that I couldn’t pass him up

And I just missed out on my pet cat OT Walker Little between picks 109 and 115. I thought he would still be there and guessed wrong.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well he definitely aint getting it from Seattle now that they just inked Lockett.

817Gill

Reaction score
Fisher at it once again. He knows how to stir the pot that's for sure
I don’t understand this take honestly lol. If you watch the video and even read the sentence in the OP, all that was said is the two sides were in communication. No one said a deal was imminent or they were crunching numbers. In fact, Fish said they had not gotten to money. He indicated they had talked about the length of a prospective deal though.

Why don’t people take stories at face value? No one told people to insinuate that KJ would be signed. An insider simply reports a player and a team are in communication and everyone for some reason assumes that means a deal is being hammered out. I don’t get the hate for the insider if a deal doesn’t materialize.

Someone responded to this, “why would you want to know about communication if it wasn’t substantial steam towards a deal?” I really don’t understand why a fan wouldn’t want to know what players the team is feeling out. It’s just a cool tidbit of info. If a deal happens great we were in on it from the jump, if not then hey that’s on the FO or agent, not the insider just plainly telling you communication is happening.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t understand this take honestly lol. If you watch the video and even read the sentence in the OP, all that was said is the two sides were in communication. No one said a deal was imminent or they were crunching numbers. In fact, Fish said they had not gotten to money. He indicated they had talked about the length of a prospective deal though.

Why don’t people take stories at face value? No one told people to insinuate that KJ would be signed. An insider simply reports a player and a team are in communication and everyone for some reason assumes that means a deal is being hammered out. I don’t get the hate for the insider if a deal doesn’t materialize.

Someone responded to this, “why would you want to know about communication if it wasn’t substantial steam towards a deal?” I really don’t understand why a fan wouldn’t want to know what players the team is feeling out. It’s just a cool tidbit of info. If a deal happens great we were in on it from the jump, if not then hey that’s on the FO or agent, not the insider just plainly telling you communication is happening.

Maybe I should call myself an ‘NFL insider’ and start pulling names out of a hat to connect them to the Cowboys? No accountability after all.