Four CFP teams announced

nathanlt

Reaction score
FIRST TAKE | The committee right on leaving unbeaten FSU out of NCAAF Playoff? - Shannon & Stephen A Smith

Oh what... those who make a living off of controversial and provocative sports commentary.... take a controversial, provocative and idiotic position on ESPSECN. Zero surprise.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem with the outside the CFP games is the guys who are going to the NFL next year and have nothing to prove, may not play. FSU has a few defenders in that category and so does UGA. So, it could be more of a shadow of the game it could have been. But, after watching the FSU back-up QBs, I’m not sure how they put one in the end zone against UGA.

As for the conferences , it is not relevant to leaving out FSU. The committee flat out said that they left FSU out bc they aren’t the same team without their QB. These kinds of decisions are why we went to a committee rather than just leaving it for the computers to decide.
I would not be surprised if more and more players started holding out of bowl games, but I also won't be surprised if NIL deals start requiring bowl game participation when their team is playing in one.

I think there were also issues with the pre-CFP days and I think there will always be issues with the CFP when they go to 12 teams next year.

There will always be years when one or two teams just miss the cut but their losses came because of some temporary thing such as losing a quarterback or key player to injury or suspension for 1-2 games.

The reality is that anyone outside the top 2 teams are lucky to get into the CFP, so teams need to set up their schedules against teams that will help them get to one of those top two seedings.

If that means moving from a perceived weaker conference to a perceived stronger conference then teams may need to do that, but even that won't solve the problem if they are not playing top 10 teams.

As I keep saying though, I totally understand why FSU fans are upset at being excluded. If I was an FSU fan I would be as well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I am glad we are going to 12 team playoff,nobody will pine for the no 13 ranked team next year for missing out.
I would've been fine with 8, as that gets us past any legit contenders.
But with 12, I guess the top 4 will get byes....so that opens up debates at 4-5 again. lol

I do want the top-ranked non "power" team to get in...even if it's likely they get blown out. In that case, 12 helps.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bama would not win against FSU quality defense, near NFL quality. They are no Auburn. CFP has NOTHING to do with who is injured. If it did, then all CFP rankings would be contingent on practice injuries between now and then. Any QB gets injured, then FSU is in... or is that an idiotic way to choose the top 4 teams. FSU is in, Bama is out, and Bama doesn't even have the right to play FSU for the 4th seed, Bama is the owner of 5th seed in reality. But CFP demands SEC be in, no matter what is sensible. Illegitimate playoff this year, no legitimate champion can exist. An asterisk won't do, it's not enough. Completely illegitimate.Heck, even SEC runner-up UGA is currently a 2 TD favorite over FSU.
So Vegas must also be in on the SEC conspiracy bc FSU is currently a 2 TD dog to UGA.

I get it. This sucks for FSU fans. But, after watching the punting contest called the ACC title game, I’m sure glad I don’t have to see FSU New Year’s Eve.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So Vegas must also be in on the SEC conspiracy bc FSU is currently a 2 TD dog to UGA.

I get it. This sucks for FSU fans. But, after watching the punting contest called the ACC title game, I’m sure glad I don’t have to see FSU New Year’s Eve.
A few notes
1) The QB would not be the same that played in the ACC title game. Would be a better player.
2) That better QB would also have a month to practice with the starters.
3) a 2 pt spread is basically a toss-up

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A few notes
1) The QB would not be the same that played in the ACC title game. Would be a better player.
2) That better QB would also have a month to practice with the starters.
3) a 2 pt spread is basically a toss-up
Rebuttal note:

It’s a 2 TD spread against UGA not a 2 point spread. So, apparently I’m not the only one unimpressed with the offering of back-up QBs.

nathanlt

Reaction score

First off, don't edit my quote as you respond... FSU's 3rd string quarterback won't start, the 2nd string QB will. FSU will beat anyone they play, they've demonstrated the heart of a champion. Vegas is not 100% correct, who cares what they think? 45 point underdogs have won, it's been done before. If Vegas was always correct, then they would simply decide who is the national champion, and everyone would be forced to agree.

Games are played on the field, and the scenario will likely play out as follows. FSU beats Georgia, everyone is surprised, then shrugs their shoulders, and says FSU deserved to be in. Oh well life goes on. Meanwhile, the national champion is illegitimate, because FSU was not in the playoff. And even if Georgia beats FSU, doesn't matter, CFP is criminally stupid. NEVER base CFP selection on an injury status. The team wins, or the team doesn't. If you base it on injury status, then teams will switch out as players injury status changes during practices. Any QB injury between now and then shows how shortsighted the CFP committee is. CFP doesn't know the 4 best teams, they are just guessing and speculating, while counting the cash they'll make from the fan bases they've selected.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, don't edit my quote as you respond... FSU's 3rd string quarterback won't start, the 2nd string QB will. FSU will beat anyone they play, they've demonstrated the heart of a champion. Vegas is not 100% correct, who cares what they think? 45 point underdogs have won, it's been done before. If Vegas was always correct, then they would simply decide who is the national champion, and everyone would be forced to agree.

Games are played on the field, and the scenario will likely play out as follows. FSU beats Georgia, everyone is surprised, then shrugs their shoulders, and says FSU deserved to be in. Oh well life goes on. Meanwhile, the national champion is illegitimate, because FSU was not in the playoff. And even if Georgia beats FSU, doesn't matter, CFP is criminally stupid. NEVER base CFP selection on an injury status. The team wins, or the team doesn't. If you base it on injury status, then teams will switch out as players injury status changes during practices. Any QB injury between now and then shows how shortsighted the CFP committee is. CFP doesn't know the 4 best teams, they are just guessing and speculating, while counting the cash they'll make from the fan bases they've selected.
“FSU will beat anyone they play “ is bravado and pure conjecture……..You seem unwilling to understand the difference between a team playing with their star QB and an unheralded backup. FSU is not a top team without their QB. If they hadn’t looked like dog poop against a qb-less Florida and Louisville, maybe they get in. But they looked terrible. Style points matter. The CFP has never been about team records. It’s about picking the top 4 teams as of the selection day.

Again, FSU is 2 TD(!!) dog against UGA. I guess you’ll be betting heavy on that line ?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
FSU’s strength of schedule didn’t do them any favors either, think it was #55th in the country. Albeit, Michigan’s isn’t much higher, not compared to the other three teams.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FSU’s strength of schedule didn’t do them any favors either, think it was #55th in the country. Albeit, Michigan’s isn’t much higher, not compared to the other three teams.
Bringing in SOS just muddys the water and obscures the only real reason FSU was left out. They just aren’t that good without their QB. That punt fest in the ACC title game against a louisville team that just lost to Kentucky confirmed it.

And if that doesn’t convince you , FSU is a 2 TD dog against UGA.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bringing in SOS just muddys the water and obscures the only real reason FSU was left out. They just aren’t that good without their QB. That punt fest in the ACC title game against a louisville team that just lost to Kentucky confirmed it.

And if that doesn’t convince you , FSU is a 2 TD dog against UGA.
Don’t have to convince me, FSU is playing where they should be.

nathanlt

Reaction score
“FSU will beat anyone they play “ is bravado and pure conjecture……..You seem unwilling to understand the difference between a team playing with their star QB and an unheralded backup. FSU is not a top team without their QB. If they hadn’t looked like dog poop against a qb-less Florida and Louisville, maybe they get in. But they looked terrible. Style points matter. The CFP has never been about team records. It’s about picking the top 4 teams as of the selection day.

Again, FSU is 2 TD(!!) dog against UGA. I guess you’ll be betting heavy on that line ?
Vegas 2 TD underdog is conjecture as well. Style points do NOT matter. The CFP established a fraudulent playoff this year. Illegitimate. SEC worship, as the inferior conference to the ACC this year is the clincher. FSU is the rightful owner of the 4th spot.

Networks, pulling strings, wanted the SEC audience, they would have rather removed Texas, but since Texas beat Alabama straight up, they felt that was too brazen. So they invented insanity of injury reports to push a weak argument that everyone can see through. Again FSU is the rightful owner of the 4th spot.

nathanlt

Reaction score
"You know what's not football? People in a room telling 13-0 teams you can't play."

Rich Eisen

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vegas 2 TD underdog is conjecture as well. Style points do NOT matter. The CFP established a fraudulent playoff this year. Illegitimate. SEC worship, as the inferior conference to the ACC this year is the clincher. FSU is the rightful owner of the 4th spot.

Networks, pulling strings, wanted the SEC audience, they would have rather removed Texas, but since Texas beat Alabama straight up, they felt that was too brazen. So they invented insanity of injury reports to push a weak argument that everyone can see through. Again FSU is the rightful owner of the 4th spot.
No. The Vegas line is a fact. All I hear is SEC envy.

nathanlt

Reaction score
No. The Vegas line is a fact. All I hear is SEC envy.
Yes, the Vegas line is a fact, but the battle is still on the field. The Vegas line is a fact that still loses at times, even when there is a 45.5 underdog. So 14 points does not guarantee anything, rather, it splits the betting public into sectors that bring a high probability that Vegas will make money. Betting on football is a fools game, in my opinion.

I despise the entitled SEC, and their endless bought-for talking heads... it has nothing to do with envy. I am not, by any means a superfan of Florida State, but I am a fan. Actually, I'm most affected when those in authority use their power for self-serving purposes, like building ammo to praise the SEC for the umpteenth time. I'm also very aggravated by TV networks/CFP committee scheming to collect as much revenue as possible, proffering a weak excuse, and taking it from a team who battled through losing 2 quarterbacks to defeat any team in front of them. As for the CFP and their SEC favoritism, they'd be wise to keep their mouths shut during a year where the ACC outplayed them as a conference.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
FSU will beat anyone they play, they've demonstrated the heart of a champion.
Since you are 100% sure that FSU will beat anyone that they play…… by how much will they beat Georgia?

Go ahead and call your shot.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Since you are 100% sure that FSU will beat anyone that they play…… by how much will they beat Georgia?

Go ahead and call your shot.
Win or lose against Georgia... irrelevant. FSU can win by 1 point lose by 35, win by 14, lose by 12. Irrelevant. They are rightful owners of #3 over a 1 loss Texas team, forget #4. FSU was ranked 4 for most of the year that CFP ranked them, suddenly #5 was playoff weekend. College Football is not a serious sport, if these decisions are the outcome of a "respected" committee, then don't bother playing the games, out of interest for player safety. Just combine all the recruiting data rankings, AP rankings, and just declare a champion.

There is only a single criteria for the 4 teams. Which matchups bring the max audience and revenue? Everything else (heart of a champion, undefeated, defeating all SEC teams they face, ACC beating the SEC as a conference) makes no difference to those motivated by money.

1942willys

Reaction score
Easy to identify the Alabama/SEC shills here.
and those that do not care that its all about money