Four CFP teams announced

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, the Vegas line is a fact, but the battle is still on the field. The Vegas line is a fact that still loses at times, even when there is a 45.5 underdog. So 14 points does not guarantee anything, rather, it splits the betting public into sectors that bring a high probability that Vegas will make money. Betting on football is a fools game, in my opinion.

I despise the entitled SEC, and their endless bought-for talking heads... it has nothing to do with envy. I am not, by any means a superfan of Florida State, but I am a fan. Actually, I'm most affected when those in authority use their power for self-serving purposes, like building ammo to praise the SEC for the umpteenth time. I'm also very aggravated by TV networks/CFP committee scheming to collect as much revenue as possible, proffering a weak excuse, and taking it from a team who battled through losing 2 quarterbacks to defeat any team in front of them. As for the CFP and their SEC favoritism, they'd be wise to keep their mouths shut during a year where the ACC outplayed them as a conference.
How can you possibly argue that the SEC hasn’t earned their reputation by producing national title winners? They don’t have to pay people to admire them. It’s a pretty safe bet most years the SEC champ is going to win it all.

Ghost12

Reaction score
How can you possibly argue that the SEC hasn’t earned their reputation by producing national title winners? They don’t have to pay people to admire them. It’s a pretty safe bet most years the SEC champ is going to win it all.
If you have to take events which happened before this year in order to justify this year's selection, then you lose.

nathanlt

Reaction score
This isn't about previous years, it's about 2023. The SEC does not deserve to get in, the 1 loss weaker conference champion does not outrank the undefeated ACC champion.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Rebuttal note:

It’s a 2 TD spread against UGA not a 2 point spread. So, apparently I’m not the only one unimpressed with the offering of back-up QBs.
UGA was a 1 TD favorite over Alabama and Oregon was an 11 point favorite over Washington.

How'd those games work out for those favorites?

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You seem not to know what happened in Auburn-Alabama....
That's very true :D

Alabama followed that up though by beating the 2-time defending national champions and number one team in the nation ending their 29 game winning streak.

I would be upset if I was an FSU fan and I wish the CFP committee had decided to add an extra 1 or 2 teams (should have been 8 this year) to the mix since they are going with 12 teams next year.

As I keep saying, it was likely heavily influenced by money given there would be no SEC teams, but Alabama's win did make a strong case if not convenient excuse.

If FSU beats Georgia, it's going to make the CFP committee look quite foolish.

However, if Georgia beats FSU ...

Ghost12

Reaction score
The New England Patriots have won 6 Super Bowls this century. Put them in the playoffs. They clearly deserve to take Jacksonville's spot since Trevor Lawrence went down last night.

nathanlt

Reaction score
I hate to use the Eagles as an example, but when Nick Foles was the backup to Carson Wentz in Philly, was their Super Bowl berth cancelled because he was 2nd string? Of course not.
In 2015 Ohio State lost Braxton Miller, the Heisman contender who went down in August camp, and three by J.T. Barrett, the redshirt freshman lost in November. Third-string Cardale Jones stepped up and won three postseason games, including the National Title.

FSU could beat Georgia. FSU could beat Michigan. FSU could beat Washington. FSU could beat Texas. FSU could be Alabama.

If any or all of those teams beat FSU, it is irrelevant. FSU earned the right to be in the top 4.

Last edited:

Ghost12

Reaction score
That's very true :D

Alabama followed that up though by beating the 2-time defending national champions and number one team in the nation ending their 29 game winning streak.
The fact that you have to reference the past only weakens, not strengthens, the point you are trying to make.

This year's Georgia team is a good team, but nowhere near the team that won those national championships. I didn't see Stetson Bennett and Jalen Carter out there Saturday.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that you have to reference the past only weakens, not strengthens, the point you are trying to make.

This year's Georgia team is a good team, but nowhere near the team that won those national championships. I didn't see Stetson Bennett and Jalen Carter out there Saturday.
I am not emotionally invested in this like you definitely appear to be but as someone looking at it from the outside, I had said many times I would be upset if I was an FSU fan and I also think the decision to select Alabama over FSU was heavily influenced by money.

The problem is that FSU losing Travis and Alabama beating Georgia (regardless if you look back before this season or not, they were the number one ranked team) gave the CFP committee all of the conventient excuses it needed to choose Alabama.

I personally believe they should have gone with 8 teams this year as a transition to 12 teams next year but even beyond that, they could have told Alabama and FSU they had to play each other in 2 weeks to determine who gets the fourth spot.

As a college football fan, I think we are going to get some great games with Alabama vs Michigan, Texas vs Washington and FSU vs Georgia.

That said, FSU fans are going to be even angrier if FSU beats Georgia and Michigan beats Alabama, so it's going to be interesting to watch.

Ghost12

Reaction score
I am not emotionally invested in this like you definitely appear to be
I think you're projecting. Just because I call things as I see them does not make me "emotionally invested". My alma mater is an FCS school - and a pretty bad one at that.

An undefeated P5 school should not be left out of the playoffs. What's the point of actually playing the games when something like that happens?

nathanlt

Reaction score
I am not emotionally invested in this like you definitely appear to be but as someone looking at it from the outside, I had said many times I would be upset if I was an FSU fan and I also think the decision to select Alabama over FSU was heavily influenced by money.

The problem is that FSU losing Travis and Alabama beating Georgia (regardless if you look back before this season or not, they were the number one ranked team) gave the CFP committee all of the conventient excuses it needed to choose Alabama.

I personally believe they should have gone with 8 teams this year as a transition to 12 teams next year but even beyond that, they could have told Alabama and FSU they had to play each other in 2 weeks to determine who gets the fourth spot.

As a college football fan, I think we are going to get some great games with Alabama vs Michigan, Texas vs Washington and FSU vs Georgia.

That said, FSU fans are going to be even angrier if FSU beats Georgia and Michigan beats Alabama, so it's going to be interesting to watch.
There are no "great games" when the entire playoff is fraudulent. What's great about it? Convenient excuses? Max profit? Let's cheer for the pocketbooks of ESPN, CBS, FOX... "What do want?.... Optimal Revenue!! .... When do we want it.... Now!! " You might be cheering, the entire thing is hollow.

College Football is a joke when it comes to declaring a champion. There is no integrity. Alabama should bow out if they had any honor whatsoever. They sure don't, they know they don't deserve it. Saban has no honor, especially.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There’s a lot of emotional investment in this…….as evident by a lot of the triggered posts here.

If I were a FSU fan, I wouldn’t disagree with them.

FSU better beat Georgia though. Especially since their fans are guaranteeing that “FSU will beat anyone”.

If not, then they don’t have anything to complain about.

nathanlt

Reaction score
There’s a lot of emotional investment in this…….as evident by a lot of the triggered posts here.

If I were a FSU fan, I wouldn’t disagree with them.

FSU better beat Georgia though. Especially since their fans are guaranteeing that “FSU will beat anyone”.

If not, then they don’t have anything to complain about.
Georgia beating FSU would only matter if the premise was that a loss in the SEC conference championship deserved to be placed ahead of the winner of the ACC conference championship. Of course, that premise is certifiably insane. Georgia wins or loses, FSU wins or loses.... irrelevant to the Committee for Profit, aka CFP.

The forceful response is not due to being an FSU fan. It is due to a committee making a business decision that is disconnected from football. Profits ahead of the determination it took to win the ACC Championship by double digits with a 3rd string QB. It is just a microcosm of how the powerful decision makers ignore the impressive display of teamwork and the heart of a champion displayed by this team. It is replicated all over our country for what it's worth. People make decisions that cut out those who have earned the honor, just to profit themselves and their friends. It's morally wrong.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The New England Patriots have won 6 Super Bowls this century. Put them in the playoffs. They clearly deserve to take Jacksonville's spot since Trevor Lawrence went down last night.
Are you in a contest for dumbest post of the year ?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are no "great games" when the entire playoff is fraudulent. What's great about it? Convenient excuses? Max profit? Let's cheer for the pocketbooks of ESPN, CBS, FOX... "What do want?.... Optimal Revenue!! .... When do we want it.... Now!! " You might be cheering, the entire thing is hollow.

College Football is a joke when it comes to declaring a champion. There is no integrity. Alabama should bow out if they had any honor whatsoever. They sure don't, they know they don't deserve it. Saban has no honor, especially.
This is over the top.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This isn't about previous years, it's about 2023. The SEC does not deserve to get in, the 1 loss weaker conference champion does not outrank the undefeated ACC champion.
I tend to agree. But, I remember the days when media members voted to determine the best team. This is an improvement but not perfect. Next year , there will be no debates with 12 teams.

I understand why the committee did what they did. They want the best games and looked at FSU without their QB and rightly determined that they had no shot in the CFP. They are not a top 4 team without their QB. If you must be angry at somene , he angry at TCU for losing to UGA last year 65-7.

nathanlt

Reaction score
Beautiful analogy... perfect!

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What a terrible analogy.

New England sucks hard this year.

And Alabama won the toughest division in football by beating the #1 team in the country that also won the last 2 championships.

Try again.