Frank Reich fired in Carolina

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Reich noted today that his journey as a football coach was likely over.

Doubtful. He is 61 and Nick Sirianni's mentor. Also, he has to make some effort to get a job to continue to continue to get the 9 mill a year (with offset from whatever job he takes) for the next three years.

He'll be a consultant with the Eagles next year. It will pay him minimally while he continues to take money from the Panthers. Another boon for the Eagles. Reich is a good coach who took a couple of really awful jobs.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Huge mistake.

Reich wasn’t the problem.

No OL and a terrible defense.

plasticman

Reaction score
Funny how a thread just recently begun about whether Jason Garrett was through with coaching.

What kind of coach would be willing to work for an owner like the Carolina Panthers?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Funny how a thread just recently begun about whether Jason Garrett was through with coaching.

What kind of coach would be willing to work for an owner like the Carolina Panthers?
Honestly, I'm thinking this is a job for Jim Harbaugh. He is the only one who can demand roster control and stuff.

Toro9

Reaction score
Stillv, tho buddy. I think we can factor in class at least a tidbit

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Reich's just the fall guy.

The Panthers have made a series of atrocious moves over the past 3 years, that's let to their roster just bottoming out this year. For example, the Rams offered 2 first round picks for Brian Burns (very talented young speed rusher), and the Panthers declined. Then, they didn't extend Burns and let him play out his fifth year option. If you really think a guy is franchise tag or starting QB level valuable, why don't you pay him? What your process there? Are you trying to win now, or tanking out to rebuild later?

Some coach is going to be asking Tepper those questions, and I'm not sure that he will get a straight answer. Tepper is a Jerry-esque hands-on meddler, and he doesn't seem to have a long term plan.

The Panthers gig is just a toxic job. I am not writing off Young after one season on the NFL's worst team, but Carolina's roster is depleted and they just traded off the #1 overall pick. The Panthers will likely be very bad in 2024, and Tepper will be breathing down the new coach's neck the whole way.

IMO, their best bet is to look for a Dan Quinn, Dan Campbell type of motivator. Someone who will get a bad team to buy in and play hard for him, so your franchise can at least get off the mat. Steve Wilks was that guy in 2022, and gave the team a shot in the arm after Rhule was fired. They need someone like him back.

Toro9

Reaction score
Frank Reich was the starting QB for the (North,?) Carolina Panthers in Tecmo SuperBowl. Excuse me
Super Tecmo Bowl

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
As far as Reich, he will be fine. He will never get another HC gig, but he knows ball and the Pedersen coaching tree is growing throughout the league. He will likely sign on with one of those teams as a staffer, and may end up with another OC job later if things break right.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Reich's just the fall guy.

The Panthers have made a series of atrocious moves over the past 3 years, that's let to their roster just bottoming out this year. For example, the Rams offered 2 first round picks for Brian Burns (very talented young speed rusher), and the Panthers declined. Then, they didn't extend Burns and let him play out his fifth year option. If you really think a guy is franchise tag or starting QB level valuable, why don't you pay him? What your process there? Are you trying to win now, or tanking out to rebuild later?

Some coach is going to be asking Tepper those questions, and I'm not sure that he will get a straight answer. Tepper is a Jerry-esque hands-on meddler, and he doesn't seem to have a long term plan.

The Panthers gig is just a toxic job. I am not writing off Young after one season on the NFL's worst team, but Carolina's roster is depleted and they just traded off the #1 overall pick. The Panthers will likely be very bad in 2024, and Tepper will be breathing down the new coach's neck the whole way.

IMO, their best bet is to look for a Dan Quinn, Dan Campbell type of motivator. Someone who will get a bad team to buy in and play hard for him, so your franchise can at least get off the mat. Steve Wilks was that guy in 2022, and gave the team a shot in the arm after Rhule was fired. They need someone like him back.
I think Tepper is more like Dan Synder. Jerry is a meddler but he at least surrounds himself with football guys, even if he doesn't always listen to them and he is at least likeable in that senile grandpa kinda way.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm thinking this is a job for Jim Harbaugh. He is the only one who can demand roster control and stuff.
Said this in another thread..........I just don't think an owner makes this kind move, especially during the season w/o a replacement in his pocket.

reddyuta

Reaction score
new coaches should look to stabilise their Oline before drafting high 1st RD QBs,without a good line you cant run your offense,

DZSierra

Reaction score
Below what I posted in the NFL zone

You guys think Jerry is a crap show to behold, living in NC about 90 minutes north of Charlotte, Tepper is probably the biggest know it all owner crap show the NFL has seen in it's history.

By all local accounts, Reich wanted Stroud, but Tepper wanted Young, and Young is who they got, and now everyone has to live with it. By all accounts, Reich wasn't a bad QB coach to begin with.

Honestly, when Tepper came in and bought the team in 2018, the way he (Tepper) handled coaches and players has been a total dumpster fire. He should have kept Wilkes to begin with last year, but have no doubt he (Tepper) wanted the media attention looking for someone else to make a name for himself (Tepper) to bring in a "real" coach. The issue is a real coach who is good I don't think will put up with Tepper.

Jerry has his son in the mix of the team, Tepper has his wife in the mix of the team, should tell you all you need to know about Tepper. I'm sorry, running a business is tricky enough having relatives work for you, in no way should relatives be working for you in pro sports unless that relative is more qualified than you.

I never thought Reich was a bad assistant coach, and when you're working first for Irsay (who is a control clown himself) and then Tepper, honestly, felt like Reich was put in a no win position and he shouldn't have taken the job to begin with.

Young's confidence can't be doing all that great, you gave away the farm for him, you also had other coaches terminated with Reich...I have little doubt that Carolina will be a dumpster fire for a very long time.

You guys think you dislike Jerry? You should hear what Carolina fans think about Tepper LOL

DZSierra

Reaction score
Said this in another thread..........I just don't think an owner makes this kind move, especially during the season w/o a replacement in his pocket.
David Tepper's past history in decision making when it comes to the Panthers really doesn't go along with your line of thinking.

When you control and manage money, you can be a control freak, but when your managing people you hire to help with a business that isn't your forte, being a control freak can work agasint you.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Panthers owner is a control freak moron.

Hiring Frank Reich in the first place was wild to me. I don’t remember him ever doing anything that I found impressive.

That franchise is in trouble for a few years, especially considering their lack of draft capital or roster assets.

And then drafting Bryce Young when Reich made it clear he wanted Stroud.

plasticman

Reaction score
If Quinn does take a HC job next season, I hope it is this one.

it practically ensures that he will be back with us in 2025.