Game of Thrones: Season 2

DFWJC

Reaction score
speedkilz88;4563054 said:
I see three left on imdb.
So was last Sunday (May 13) the 7th episode?

Maybe at the end when they advertise two more episodes, they are saying there will a normal episode next week and then a two hour final episode?

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
There are 3 episodes left. The titles are "The Prince of Winterfell", "Blackwater", and "Valar Morghulis".

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Ominous;4563374 said:
There are 3 episodes left. The titles are "The Prince of Winterfell", "Blackwater", and "Valar Morghulis".
My question was, are the last two going to be shown on the same night?

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
DFWJC;4563378 said:
My question was, are the last two going to be shown on the same night?

No. Next episode is May 20th, then May 27th, then the finale on June 3rd.

couchscout

Reaction score
viman96;4563178 said:
Last week definitely said just two more episodes left.

Incomplete.

Last week definitely said just two more episodes left until the finale.

DFWJC

Reaction score
couchscout;4563414 said:
Incomplete.

That makes sense.
thx

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
couchscout;4563414 said:
Incomplete.

Ah....I see said the blind man...

That would make sense why some of us were confused :)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I just rewatched it and unless they changed it from Sunday it said three episodes left.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Glad to see there are some who love "Game of Thrones" on here. I've skimmed through most of the conversation. Hopefully I'm not about to repeat what's already been said.

I couldn't be anymore frustrated with this season. One of my favorite parts is the story told beyond the wall. They've deviated from the original storyline to the point where they don't even resemble each other in the slightest way, besides the fact that they are, beyond the wall.

This is the first time I've watched a season knowing what would happen. After watching Game of Thrones I went out and bought every book thinking I would be able to read each book before each season.

But, much to my chagrin season two is littered with so much of book three I had to stop watching and might miss the last 3 episodes so that I could read A Storm of Swords first. I'm on page 750 or so and it's amazing how much of book 3 is in this season. There are parts that I still haven't reached in book 3 that are in this season. It's amazing how many times they took the liberty and completely changed the storyline. So much for brevity, just retell it in your own uninteresting way. I mean they probably shouldn't have called it Game of Thrones. At this point they are really just borrowing from the story, which I have no problem with, but they are shaming the original story.

Again, what happens beyond the wall is a completely different story. It's not even remotely close to what happens in the book, which IMO is the second best narrative that takes place in the books--King's Landing being the best. I fear for what else they are going to do to the story. Part of me wishes I never read A Clash of Kings so that I didn't have the desire to read each book before each season. But, the books literally take a giant steaming pile of **** on the HBO series.

If this is what they are going to do, season 3 should resemble most of book 3. Season 4 will resemble some of book 3 and some of book 4. So, here's to hoping George R.R. Martin finishes at the pace of HBO. And if he does, maybe they will show a little more confidence in the show and its ability to be a long term show aired on HBO and respect the storyline and the ability of the average human being to stay focused on a show that doesn't involve sex, slaughter, and deceit every 3 minutes.

And I'm finished. I probably sound like a snotty little *******, but I love the books and feel like they are being mistreated. I get hollywood and their oh-so-entitled need to sensationalize everything, but IMO they are going overboard when it's not even remotely necessary.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4566070 said:
It's amazing how many times they took the liberty and completely changed the storyline. So much for brevity, just retell it in your own uninteresting way. I mean they probably shouldn't have called it Game of Thrones. At this point they are really just borrowing from the story, which I have no problem with, but they are shaming the original story.

It's all relative.

Read The Borne Identity book, then watch the move. That makes the changes in The Game of Thrones seem microscopic. I think there are about 6 things in the book The Borne Identity that match the movie. His and her name being two of them. A third being he was supposed to kill someone on a ship. 4th is the FBI is chasing him, 5th going to Paris, and I can't think of the 6th right now. Nothing else between book and movie matched. I mean COMPLETELY different story. :lmao2:

I will say this though. Both the book and movie The Borne Identity are very good to read / watch! Just like The Game of Thrones.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4566070 said:
Glad to see there are some who love "Game of Thrones" on here. I've skimmed through most of the conversation. Hopefully I'm not about to repeat what's already been said.

I couldn't be anymore frustrated with this season. One of my favorite parts is the story told beyond the wall. They've deviated from the original storyline to the point where they don't even resemble each other in the slightest way, besides the fact that they are, beyond the wall.

This is the first time I've watched a season knowing what would happen. After watching Game of Thrones I went out and bought every book thinking I would be able to read each book before each season.

But, much to my chagrin season two is littered with so much of book three I had to stop watching and might miss the last 3 episodes so that I could read A Storm of Swords first. I'm on page 750 or so and it's amazing how much of book 3 is in this season. There are parts that I still haven't reached in book 3 that are in this season. It's amazing how many times they took the liberty and completely changed the storyline. So much for brevity, just retell it in your own uninteresting way. I mean they probably shouldn't have called it Game of Thrones. At this point they are really just borrowing from the story, which I have no problem with, but they are shaming the original story.

Again, what happens beyond the wall is a completely different story. It's not even remotely close to what happens in the book, which IMO is the second best narrative that takes place in the books--King's Landing being the best. I fear for what else they are going to do to the story. Part of me wishes I never read A Clash of Kings so that I didn't have the desire to read each book before each season. But, the books literally take a giant steaming pile of **** on the HBO series.

If this is what they are going to do, season 3 should resemble most of book 3. Season 4 will resemble some of book 3 and some of book 4. So, here's to hoping George R.R. Martin finishes at the pace of HBO. And if he does, maybe they will show a little more confidence in the show and its ability to be a long term show aired on HBO and respect the storyline and the ability of the average human being to stay focused on a show that doesn't involve sex, slaughter, and deceit every 3 minutes.

And I'm finished. I probably sound like a snotty little *******, but I love the books and feel like they are being mistreated. I get hollywood and their oh-so-entitled need to sensationalize everything, but IMO they are going overboard when it's not even remotely necessary.
The dumbest reason to not like a piece of art is because it's not identical to something else. This season of GoT is among the best seasons of any television show in the history of television. And that's largely because they've deviated from a flawed but highly entertaining book series that doesn't translate directly to television.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
theogt;4566131 said:
The dumbest reason to not like a piece of art is because it's not identical to something else.

I never said I didn't like it because it wasn't "identical." I actually never said I didn't like it. I said I was frustrated with it. IMO, they are taking too many liberties with the storyline and the show could be much stronger. So, I'm not really sure what you're trying to argue. Also, an interpretation of an original piece of art will ALWAYS be compared to the original. Which is why you always hear people say, "I like the original better." So you must think a lot of people are dumb and you make it very hard to give any weight to that statement.

theogt;4566131 said:
This season of GoT is among the best seasons of any television show in the history of television.

Settle down, the season isn't even over. Let's see how they finish it. Also, the first season, IMO, was much better than this one is turning out to be.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4566128 said:
It's all relative.

Read The Borne Identity book, then watch the move. That makes the changes in The Game of Thrones seem microscopic. I think there are about 6 things in the book The Borne Identity that match the movie. His and her name being two of them. A third being he was supposed to kill someone on a ship. 4th is the FBI is chasing him, 5th going to Paris, and I can't think of the 6th right now. Nothing else between book and movie matched. I mean COMPLETELY different story. :lmao2:

I will say this though. Both the book and movie The Borne Identity are very good to read / watch! Just like The Game of Thrones.

I mean, there are instances where movies have stuck to the book and not strayed to far from the storyline. The majority of hollywood movies do though, you're right.

I still watch the show though since I love the books so much.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I've been reading some of Martin's other work lately. He has two different collections of short stories and, in one, talks about his time working in Hollywood (he wrote for The Twilight Zone, Beauty and the Beast and wrote a couple of pilots that never really went anywhere)

One of the things he said, repeatedly, that when he was writing for television, he was always too long and too expensive. He's also said that GOT really doesn't have all that big of a budget (on his blog).

So, I'm sure he has at least been through the experience of having to trim his work for television. And, let's be honest, A Song of Fire and Ice probably has some fat that can be trimmed.

The thing I don't get is how people who haven't read the book can keep up with all the characters on the TV show.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
junk;4566289 said:
The thing I don't get is how people who haven't read the book can keep up with all the characters on the TV show.

The thing I don't get is how people who have read the book can keep up with all of the characters! lol

You're right though. That's the only excuse that makes my frustration go away; the talk of a limited budget and only 10 episodes. However, the next two seasons will be book 3 so I don't see why they felt the need to go so far into book 3 in season 2. Oh well, it's something I guess I'll never know.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
a_minimalist;4566413 said:
The thing I don't get is how people who have read the book can keep up with all of the characters! lol

He spends so much time with each character, you have no choice! Well the main characters anyhow. He meanders a lot in the book. He has too to get to his normal 1k pages. It's the only thing that drives me crazy about reading his books. He spends a lot of time with the characters wondering around aimlessly. (Dany, Brienne, and Tyrion in book five to name a few)

I'm currently reading book 5 when I have time (which hasn't been much lately, especially with D3 coming out making reading even harder thing to make time for)

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Sam I Am;4566818 said:
He spends so much time with each character, you have no choice! Well the main characters anyhow. He meanders a lot in the book. He has too to get to his normal 1k pages. It's the only thing that drives me crazy about reading his books. He spends a lot of time with the characters wondering around aimlessly. (Dany, Brienne, and Tyrion in book five to name a few)

I'm currently reading book 5 when I have time (which hasn't been much lately, especially with D3 coming out making reading even harder thing to make time for)

I actually think that's what makes his books so great. There is so much detail and you really find yourself mixed in with the story. You grow a sort of attachment or disdain for certain characters and then he kills the one you like and promotes the one you hate. But, it also makes you appreciate all of the deceit and twists in the book.

I just finished book 3, which is epic, and I am starting book 4 in a few minutes.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
The last two books were slower paced than the first 3, which is why they aren't as entertaining to read, but they set so many things up to happen in the next 2 books.

Zordon

Reaction score
I love this show. Pretty much addicted to the storyline. I don't know how I'll cope once the season ends. I might have to give in and finally buy the books. The preview for the next episode looks epic.

Cat really ticked me off this episode. Most of the starks annoy me for some reason with the exception of Arya and Bran. Tyrion is simply an amazing actor. His scenes with his bodyguard and Cersei and Varys are amazing.