Gerald McCoy to Carolina

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
How is it not? When he was set to get paid $13 million and ended up getting $8 million, that's "taking less". It says nothing about what Cleveland or Baltimore offered and try to infer differently is misrepresenting it.
Yeah, all due respect I think you're missing the connotation of the tweet. I'm fairly certain of it.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Make up whatever you need to in order to feel less bad. I'll base my position on facts that I know and things that actually happened.
Believe me, I don't feel bad at all. Again, how do you know that the Cowboys didn't reach out and didn't at least speak with his agent? The fact is, he decided to take less money to stay in the division. If we did reach out (and neither you nor I have any idea if we did or didn't) it would have likely taken an unreal offer to get him to leave the division. I've got news for you, not everybody in the league wants to play for dallas, and dallas does not want every free agent.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come on, you are better than your first sentence. When people pull out things like that they are saying they are unwilling to discuss in a reasonable manner and just want to use the silly tags like "homer" or "Garrett Lover" or whatever nonsense they choose at the time. That's not an argument for your case, that's just silly rhetoric.

It's s statement of fact, and a trait I encounter all the time. From you, and from plenty of other fans. You can't stand to see them look bad or be criticized and feel a compulsion to rush to the rescue and justify every move they do or do not make.

Of course you care about the Cowboys more than other teams, as do I, but that doesn't mean it make sense to ignore what the rest of the NFL thinks and decide the only thing that matters is what stasheroo thinks. The fact that not every team was clamoring for this guy tells you he was not viewed as a must have player.

"must have" was never said, missed opportunity was, especially based on what this team has, and what it's paying for lesser play. And what other teams do doesn't justify the Cowboys making a mistake.

And realistically, if we chased after every player that a fan feels about the way you feel about McCoy, the Cowboys would have run out of cap space a long time ago. Think about it - the Cowboys are constantly criticized on this site for not going after this player or that, but realistically they can't pursue all these players. Besides, we know the Cowboys are reluctant to spend much on veteran free agents (except their own).

Nobody is saying "all", don't create a Strawman trying to argue something nobody asked for to again justify this blunder.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, all due respect I think you're missing the connotation of the tweet. I'm fairly certain of it.

You're seeing what you want to see rather than what's there. If and when someone gives the numbers that Cleveland and Baltimore actually offered? Then we can talk about facts, rather than wishful thinking and interpretation.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
You're seeing what you want to see rather than what's there. If and when someone gives the numbers that Cleveland and Baltimore actually offered? Then we can talk about facts, rather than wishful thinking and interpretation.
This is third hand, but it sounds like Rapoport reported (I can't find a direct link) double guaranteed money offered by the Ravens.
https://forum.russellstreetreport.com/showthread.php?178138-McCoy-to-the-Panthers/page2

(Edit) Here's a better source:
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...y-gerald-mccoy-chose-the-panthers-over-ravens

I have no reason or need to make this crap up

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Believe me, I don't feel bad at all. Again, how do you know that the Cowboys didn't reach out and didn't at least speak with his agent?

Show me where they did, otherwise, it's some fan making things up to feel better.

The fact is, he decided to take less money to stay in the division. If we did reach out (and neither you nor I have any idea if we did or didn't) it would have likely taken an unreal offer to get him to leave the division. I've got news for you, not everybody in the league wants to play for dallas, and dallas does not want every free agent.

I've got news for you, they never even tried. I'll go with what is, rather than making up what I wish things were.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is third hand, but it sounds like Rapoport reported (I can't find a direct link) double guaranteed money offered by the Ravens.
https://forum.russellstreetreport.com/showthread.php?178138-McCoy-to-the-Panthers/page2

(Edit) Here's a better source:
https://www.baltimoreravens.com/new...y-gerald-mccoy-chose-the-panthers-over-ravens

I have no reason or need to make this crap up

Here's a tweet to a video from Rapoport saying that Baltimore offered more guaranteed money:

That doesn't say that anyone offered more overall, but he does allude to being able to play against the Bucs twice as being a big factor. I can definitely see that based on his exit from Tampa.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Here's a tweet to a video from Rapoport saying that Baltimore offered more guaranteed money:

That doesn't say that anyone offered more overall, but he does allude to being able to play against the Bucs twice as being a big factor. I can definitely see that based on his exit from Tampa.

Like I said, I would have liked to sign the guy. I said it when he was first released. There is certainly no evidence Dallas even tried. What he signed for doesn't appear to be what it would have taken for Dallas to do so. What it would have taken I don't know (not sure anybody does except McCoy).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said, I would have liked to sign the guy. I said it when he was first released. There is certainly no evidence Dallas even tried. What he signed for doesn't appear to be what it would have taken for Dallas to do so. What it would have taken I don't know (not sure anybody does except McCoy).

One thing is for certain, you can never succeed in anything if you never even try.

And as I've said, I could have signed McCoy and not even touched one penny of the Cowboys current cap surplus just by cutting the dead weight they continue to overpay. And I would have added the best 3T option this team would have this year and significantly improved an established, starting position on the team.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I saw a penetrator and disruptor, who did it by himself, on his own, and didn't require things to be specifically schemed for his to succeed. He was a force by himself. And that's far better than what we had at 3T in 2018.
So you don't feel any of the Dt's we signed this year can fill that roll and bring some youth and hunger to it?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
And how do you know that they just sat on their hands? Maybe they spoke with the guy and he had no interest in coming here. Maybe he preferred to stay in the division and try to stick it to his old team 2x this season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you don't feel any of the Dt's we signed this year can fill that roll and bring some youth and hunger to it?

Not with any measure of certainty, no. It's just wishful thinking at this point.

McCoy is a well-established force, and he has been since he was drafted #3 overall.

I have hope that guys like Covington might help, or that Collins body might actually hold up in a contract year, or that Hill might develop into what McCoy already is, none is a certainty.

We had to adjust our pass rush and scheme twists and stunts in order to try to free up our defensive tackles because they couldn't get their on their own. And overuse of those stunts ultimately got us run over.

McCoy is a guy who can get there on his own and doesn't require wholesale scheme changes to do it.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
More of the "we like our guys" mantra.
:banghead:
When a team uses a 2nd round pick on a 3T it's just unlikely they sign a 10 million dollar 30+ player. If he had been available before the draft I think they would have shown interest.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Carolina is going to have a beastly DL.

Honestly...I don't see the fit. Rumor is they are going 3-4...so is he a DE5? or just a nickle pass rusher on 3rd and long?

8 mil is a lot of cheese for a 31yr old...part time player. oh well...Panthers can spend their money as stupidly as they want. :popcorn:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's s statement of fact, and a trait I encounter all the time. From you, and from plenty of other fans. You can't stand to see them look bad or be criticized and feel a compulsion to rush to the rescue and justify every move they do or do not make.

"must have" was never said, missed opportunity was, especially based on what this team has, and what it's paying for lesser play. And what other teams do doesn't justify the Cowboys making a mistake.

Nobody is saying "all", don't create a Strawman trying to argue something nobody asked for to again justify this blunder.

No, it's not a statement of fact, it's weak rhetoric without foundation. I admittedly think some fans go overboard and unreasonable with criticisms, but I also think Jerry is a poor GM, and have advocated for Garrett to be replaced for a couple of years. Acordingly its nonsense to suggest I am intolerant of criticism of the team, I just expect the criticism to be fair and reasonable rather than treating every step and breath they take as a screw up.

I can respect your desire to have McCoy, and I honestly liked the idea too, but the team already has a crowded interior D-line, and they have several high dollar contracts that need to be extended, so I don't see that passing on McCoy was unreasonable.

I didn't say you said "all" - that's a made up argument. What I said was lots of fans feel the same about players as you do about McCoy, and my point was that obviously not everyone who feels about a player the way you do about McCoy can be right. The team can't pursue everyone a fan thinks they should.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hate this front office. We have the space and still dont try and improve in FA

There is definitely a good measure of unearned confidence, bordering on arrogance. Newsflash fellas! Your defensive line wasn't nearly good enough last year and was a big reason why you got bounced out of the playoffs again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When a team uses a 2nd round pick on a 3T it's just unlikely they sign a 10 million dollar 30+ player. If he had been available before the draft I think they would have shown interest.

It's a good point, and very likely a big reason why they showed no interest. Having said that, it's something I disagree with and I wouldn't put all of my eggs in the basket of a rookie that's never played a game and who based on his film, needs a lot of coaching up.