Video: Get Up: Louis Riddick - Dak will get North of $60M

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jerry wanted this deal done, it would be done.

Period.

This is, and has to be, obvious to everybody by now right?

The only question has become, where besides Dallas will Dak land in the next six months?

RoboQB

Reaction score
The Crystal Ball: (Just for Fun)

Trey Lance shows talent and promise in pre-season.
Dak begins season at 2-2 with subpar/average outings. An injury occurs somewhere between week 4 and
"49ers week" possibly season ending for Dak.
Lance lights a fire under entire team and shows leadership. (Beats SF!?! Maybe.)
Dallas finishes with a loss in the NFC Championship
but looks poised to return in 2025.
Dak signs a prove it contract with obscure team. Maybe Seattle.

Hey, this scenario would be a lot better for the team
(and the fans) than handing Mr. Thousand yard stare to a
65M APY contract.

I realize, even in this dream world scenario, Lance will require a new contract. I say he's rewarded with a nice contract that essentially would be less than half of Dak's price.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Love has only played one season and could reset the market.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The Crystal Ball: (Just for Fun)

Trey Lance shows talent and promise in pre-season.
Dak begins season at 2-2 with subpar/average outings. An injury occurs somewhere between week 4 and
"49ers week" possibly season ending for Dak.
Lance lights a fire under entire team and shows leadership. (Beats SF!?! Maybe.)
Dallas finishes with a loss in the NFC Championship
but looks poised to return in 2025.
Dak signs a prove it contract with obscure team. Maybe Seattle.

Hey, this scenario would be a lot better for the team
(and the fans) than handing Mr. Thousand yard stare to a
65M APY contract.

I realize, even in this dream world scenario, Lance will require a new contract. I say he's rewarded with a nice contract that essentially would be less than half of Dak's price.
He outplays Prescott his agent will ask for more than Prescott gets.

plasticman

Reaction score
So 1 Dak Prescott

= 3 DeMarcus Lawrences

= 4 Zack Martins

= 5 Terrence Steeles

= 8 Donovan Wilsons

= 11 Micah Parsons

= 16 & 1/2 Tyler Smiths

= 58 DaRon Blands

Rather than keep Dak, just hook me up with a couple of Micah Parsons, a sixpack of Tyler Smiths, and a case of DaRon Blands.

Oh, and I'll take a Trey Lance to go.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
So 1 Dak Prescott

= 3 DeMarcus Lawrences

= 4 Zack Martins

= 5 Terrence Steeles

= 8 Donovan Wilsons

= 11 Micah Parsons

= 16 & 1/2 Tyler Smiths

= 58 DaRon Blands

Rather than keep Dak, just hook me up with a couple of Micah Parsons, a sixpack of Tyler Smiths, and a case of DaRon Blands.

Oh, and I'll take a Trey Lance to go.
Sounds good to me bye Dak

CWR

Reaction score
Quite the Houdini act by our FO, super impressive stuff lol.

plymkr

Reaction score
I have no doubt that Dak will get 60+ next contract. The question is will that make the team that signs him better?

For instance if it’s the Dallas Cowboys, will we be better in 2025 than we were in 2024? And if we’re better, how much better? A WC win? NFCCG appearance?

If the Raiders or Saints sign Dak will that make them better and by how much. Playoffs? Playoff wins?

I think a barometer to keep an eye on is Cousins in Atlanta. Does Cousins make Atlanta better, or a contender? Also a good barometer is how do the Vikings respond without Cousins. I’m going to be keeping an eye on Atlanta and Minnesota this year because it’s kind of an insight to what may happen.

I personally don’t feel it’s a good idea to pay any player 60+ million APY, even Mahomes. QBs can’t win games alone and a QB taking up that much of the cap will erode the overall team’s talent. I feel the new normal the next 5-7 years is teams spending big assets on the overall team and the going above average rookie or low income QB. I don’t think it’s a sustainable model to pay QBs 60 and still win. Like the Jordan Love situation. I hope they pay him that much. He might not be that good and that can cripple a rival for years to come. Anyway JMO

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I’m more surprised that Love could get paid that much with his limited sample of work. That’s crazy IMO. He could be a one year wonder.
There has been a history of teams doing this, and it typically works out. Not too often does a QB have a season like that with no bad seasons prior and then disappear

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I agree and I don't think people should be surprised by that number either. The top AAV right now is $55M (24.47% of the cap at signing) and that was set by Burrow a year ago. If the cap jumps another 10% next year 24.47% would be $68M. As of this years cap number 24.47% would be $62M.

If Dak wants to be paid similar to Burrow $60M is actually a slight (very slight) discount. If Dak were willing to take $55M Jerry should have already signed the papers. If Jerry wouldn't sign Dak for $55M he should have already moved on from Dak because there is zero chance of retaining him.
This is exactly right. The salary’s are proportional to the % of the cap. The average fan doesn’t understand this or ignores it and continues to get sticker shock. The salary’s are going to continue to rise because the cap jumps

plymkr

Reaction score
There has been a history of teams doing this, and it typically works out. Not too often does a QB have a season like that with no bad seasons prior and then disappear
I agree, but if I was a Packers fan I’d be a little nervous. But if I was a Packers fan I’d want the deal done because of his youth and potential. So we’ll see but you made a good point and I agree with you.

HanD

Reaction score
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been deleted because of The Athletic source but Russini is a solid writer/reporter.
Ever since the accusations in the "fake" twitter account....i haven't been able to follow her without thinking the worst and that's unfortunate.