Good News/Bad News- Bruce Carter to be activated on Sunday

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Alexander;4202538 said:
And that is completely a completely valid reason. Cheap. But valid.

But nevermind, Jason Garrett is in charge. That should not matter. He has carte blanche.

Yeah, it is the best rational reason that I can come up with.

I could imagine Jerry and Garrett agreeing that the Cowboys should operate with a "-1" roster size until Buehler gets healthy enough to cut (that Buehler gets a free ride until he's cheaper to cut).

Garrett's recent press conference indicates that he thinks part of appropriate roster management is to keep an eye toward the future (e.g., salary cap). I was sort of surprised to hear him mention the importance of taking a longer term view.

Could be that it is all Jerry, still, but I'm beginning to think that Jerry is backing off some in his advanced age.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;4202574 said:
The coverage has been excellent, which nullifies the touchbacks because even when Bailey's kick isn't a touchback, it at least makes it to the end zone and a lot of the time the returner brings the ball out and we actually tackle him before the 20 yard line.

Even though I'm not in love with having DB, there are reasons to have him. Last night, in the Ravens game, they had the option to onside kick or kick it deep out the endzone and save the extra time for the D to stop the Jags offense. This is something that isn't possible with Bailey, cause he doesn't have the ability to kick it out the endzone and save the time. They had a choice, and they chose the onside kick, if we just have Bailey, we don't have this choice.

This is actually the situational football thing that JG gets so much blame for in the past, but it is a legit situation to keep DB around. Now it is a luxury to keep him around, but with Jerry's ego, he probably thinks he can have such luxuries. And if they move kickoffs back next year, there is even more reason for DB to be on the team.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ZeroClub;4202614 said:
Yeah, it is the best rational reason that I can come up with.

I could imagine Jerry and Garrett agreeing that the Cowboys should operate with a "-1" roster size until Buehler gets healthy enough to cut (that Buehler gets a free ride until he's cheaper to cut).

Garrett's recent press conference indicates that he thinks part of appropriate roster management is to keep an eye toward the future (e.g., salary cap). I was sort of surprised to hear him mention the importance of taking a longer term view.

Could be that it is all Jerry, still, but I'm beginning to think that Jerry is backing off some in his advanced age.

I have a hard time believing David Buehler carries a significant enough cap number to make him so untouchable right now.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
CoCo;4202536 said:
Yes, because Jones has always been unwilling to admit personnel mistakes. That's why Marion Barber, Roy Williams (S), Roy Williams (WR), etc are still here.

Not sure why some feel like DB is the tipping point for the 2009 draft. It was a bad Dallas draft whether Buehler is here or not.

You're kinda making my point. All three of those players were kept on the roster long after they outlived their usefulness. Moreover, all three would have been expensive to cut cap-wise. Buehler presents no such obstacle.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Picksix;4202422 said:
Can we at least wait until this is official before we just start bashing the guy?

Why when he does stupid stuff all the time? The guy needs to step down as GM and never say another word about the roster.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
bbgun;4202619 said:
You're kinda making my point. All three of those players were kept on the roster long after they outlived their usefulness. Moreover, all three would have been expensive to cut cap-wise. Buehler presents no such obstacle.

Buehler is an asset right now. Good kickers are hard to find and the Cowboys have two of them.

If some kicker goes down on another team during the season?

He could be valuable to the team(s).

;)

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
5Stars;4202626 said:
Buehler is an asset right now. Good kickers are hard to find and the Cowboys have two of them.

If some kicker goes down on another team during the season?

He could be valuable to the team(s).

;)

The Cowboys have one good kicker and one useless kicker.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4202473 said:
You don't know that. You have an opinion that is all it is. Was it Jerry or Garrett who brought in kicker after kicker this pre season?

As for keeping 2 kickers not the 1st time that has been done and is still done by other teams. I'm no fan of keeping 2 kickers but excuse me if I'm not in your little conspiracy group.

As far as I’m concerned Garrett can make any move he wants I’m interested in the end product not how you get there

I think keeping two kickers is stupid, but keeping two kickers on the roster when one isn't even kicking is ********. No team does that, except for ones lead by Jerrah Jones.

You want to squirrel him away and not cut him put him on IR. Any roster spot cleared should be his.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
DOUBLE WING;4202629 said:
The Cowboys have one good kicker and one useless kicker.

Uh...yeah?

:confused:

Do you know what this is about?

Investment...

:D

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
5Stars;4202635 said:
Uh...yeah?

:confused:

Do you know what this is about?

Investment...

:D

It's a bad investment. He's not an asset. He's a guy that sucks at kicking FG's but has a powerful leg. There are tons of guys who can kick deep but can't put the ball between the goal posts sitting in free agency. Beeler isn't anymore special than any of them.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Aven8;4202606 said:
Thabks Joe. This is my point also. Why keep a guy that isn't very good to begin with? DB missed too many fg's last year. It's not like he was Folk and we are waiting for his hip to heal. For that matter if Bailey was 12 of 18 I could understand even. But he's not. He's as good as Folk if not better. Plus add in the fact that you have Forbath as well then what really is the point?

Are we going to be clamoring that we wish we had DB in GB in January for the NFC title game? I think not. We are going to wishing we had Holley or whomever to tackle that rookie!

Norm has been clamoring for this since SF game. He had the stats to back it up as well. The average start for DB when kicking off was the 22. The average start for Bailey is the 21. It's moot.

My point is whomever is making the decision, JJ, JG, or even Decam it's a bad move.
Bailey has only had to kickoff in one game outside and that was New England where he showed he did not have anywhere near the leg.

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Proof Jerry is an idiot who very likely is butting heads with Garrett over keeping teh Beuler.

In the first part of this clip he says he called down to tell the coaches it was OK for Murray to break Emmitts record. Later he stutters and umms and ahhs around the question and denies it but the proof is in the clip. Jerry needs to go.

http://soundcloud.com/user7919219/rec1025-093645

1r4vx1.jpg

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
When Jerry calls down and tells Garrett we only need one kicker, Beeler will be gone. No sooner.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Why not cut Loper, Choice, Ogletree or Buehler (I am surprised he is still on the team after last year)...

What is the obsession with DB? His build for a kicker? What else...

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
fifaguy;4202664 said:
Why not cut Loper, Choice, Ogletree or Buehler (I am surprised he is still on the team after last year)...

What is the obsession with DB? His build for a kicker? What else...

http://i799.***BLOCKED***/albums/yy277/2233cowboys/th_jerry-jones.jpg

fifaguy

Reaction score
http://i799.***BLOCKED***/albums/yy277/2233cowboys/th_jerry-jones.jpg

Touche..