Greg Hardy and the Media

tyke1doe

Reaction score
We may not like it, but Greg Hardy made his bed himself. His lack of judgment can be seen in how he cavalierly displayed guns in his home, his selection of the woman he chose to call a girlfriend, his confrontations with fellow teammates in Carolina, etc.

Then, he comes to Dallas, the highest profiled team in the NFL. Everything is magnified x10 when it involves Dallas - good and bad.

So Hardy really has no room for error. If he has a blowup on the sidelines, it's going to get magnified.

Players (and fans) need to stop worrying about what the media will or won't, does or doesn't report and focus on what they can control.

In this media-driven, social media age when everyone has a cell camera, everyone has a voice and everyone thinks his/her opinion comes with the authority of Mount Sinai itself, it aint going away.

mldardy

Reaction score
There were no murders. A group of criminals attacked Ray's group, who also were some criminals, with a champagne bottle and a gun. They responded with knives and two of the attackers died.

One of the lead detectives in Atlanta said Ray should have never been charged and resigned from Homicide because of the politics involved. Ray plead guilty to obstruction of justice for initially lying to the cops about who was in the limo. He later testified in the criminal case against his two friends and they were still found not guilty.
:confused: Two people were stabbed that night and end up dying. That is called murder. I don't care if they attacked Ray's group two people ended up dead because of it. That's murder.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
There's a lack of consistency when it comes to the media on Hardy.

I have said from the get-go that I believe in giving people multiple chances and that a guy like Hardy (or Ray Rice) should sit out a year which Hardy did indeed do.

It would be nice if the media would just say what they mean by all of this....we hate Greg Hardy because he's a great player that is playing for the Cowboys. And if he was playing anywhere else like Green Bay (who had a violent felon in Johnny Jolly playing for them), San Francisco (who had a violent woman beater in Ray McDonald) or Oakland (who has a violent, repeat criminal offender in Aldon Smith playing for them) it would not be a big deal.

We don't see sit down, roundtable discussions on ESPN when Ray McDonald is allowed to play or Aldon Smith is gleefully picked up by the Raiders. Even the Adrian Peterson case didn't get this attention and the public saw the photos of him viciously beating his children (yes, my parents spanked me and my dad did kick my butt a time or two, but they never left marks on me). Nope....just business as usual for the Purple Jesus in Minnesota. In fact, the only real controversy with Peterson was if he had illegally discussed with Jerry Jones in being traded for.

The real frauds here is the media. They pick and choose their outrage to suit what will garner them the most readers, the best ratings and the most Twitter followers. They know there are plenty of fans that detest the Cowboys and hate the fact that they signed a great player that might even be the missing piece to the puzzle. So, he's an easy and convenient target.

And before anybody takes it out of context...again, I said that Hardy should be suspended for a year because I believe he did it and I find domestic abuse to be revolting. It's about being consistent with your outrage and that's how I feel about the Greg Hardy's, the Ray Rice's, the Ray McDonald's, and Aldon Smith's of the world regardless of where they happen to play.

YR

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Witten is the most intense guy with his helmet on. When he comes off the field he's a teddy bear but on it he's not a guy to be trifled with in the moment. And he got into it physically with a coach last year.

He did? He put his hands on a coach? Really?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
:confused: Two people were stabbed that night and end up dying. That is called murder. I don't care if they attacked Ray's group two people ended up dead because of it. That's murder.

Legally, it's not murder. If someone attacks you and you kill them in self-defense (assuming it's not a child attacking you or a handicapped person or a similar circumstance), it's not murder.

gambit187

Reaction score
We may not like it, but Greg Hardy made his bed himself. His lack of judgment can be seen in how he cavalierly displayed guns in his home, his selection of the woman he chose to call a girlfriend, his confrontations with fellow teammates in Carolina, etc.

Then, he comes to Dallas, the highest profiled team in the NFL. Everything is magnified x10 when it involves Dallas - good and bad.

So Hardy really has no room for error. If he has a blowup on the sidelines, it's going to get magnified.

Players (and fans) need to stop worrying about what the media will or won't, does or doesn't report and focus on what they can control.

In this media-driven, social media age when everyone has a cell camera, everyone has a voice and everyone thinks his/her opinion comes with the authority of Mount Sinai itself, it aint going away.

As long as those guns he displayed are legal I don't have a problem with it. If he has a license and no little kids in his house he can display them however he wants....I told yall he aint nothing but a lovable NRA card carrying redneck.
His selection in woman...well when your young, famous and got boatloads of money woman throw themselves at you. Not saying she a gold digga but she aint messing with no broke ?....Just go ask Nelly or any other male celebrity she has "chilled" with.

gambit187

Reaction score
Legally, it's not murder. If someone attacks you and you kill them in self-defense (assuming it's not a child attacking you or a handicapped person or a similar circumstance), it's not murder.
I'm pretty sure Ray's ex friends brought a knife to a gun fight and got away with it, its called self-defense and being lucky.

gambit187

Reaction score
Rays group had knives, the other group had guns. It was called self-defense.

burmafrd

Reaction score
As long as those guns he displayed are legal I don't have a problem with it. If he has a license and no little kids in his house he can display them however he wants....I told yall he aint nothing but a lovable NRA card carrying redneck.
His selection in woman...well when your young, famous and got boatloads of money woman throw themselves at you. Not saying she a gold digga but she aint messing with no broke ?....Just go ask Nelly or any other male celebrity she has "chilled" with.
like how some here think what a person does in his own home is somehow subject to their 'opinion' even when nothing about it is illegal or immoral.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
And neither are the media.

I agree... Totally 2 different issues... I don't pay any attention to the media anymore. They're in this thing for ratings and clicks thats it. So obviously they will report negative stuff because the "bad guy" stuff sells. It is what it is

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No. Hardy didn't either. He pounded his fist at Pope last Thanksgiving.

Did he strike Pope?
Or did he (Witten) just pound his fist into his own fist?
The claim was that Witten got physical with a coach. That implies that he touched a coach or touched an object that was in the hands of a coach.

So did Witten put his hands on a coach or knock something out of a coach's hands?

burmafrd

Reaction score

now it can be called murder by the legal community when deaths occur during commission of a felony but that rarely results in actual homicide convictions. A bar room brawl, etc that results in deaths usually are called manslaughter.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Did he strike Pope?
The claim was that Witten got physical with a coach. That implies that he touched a coach or touched an object that was in the hands of a coach.

So did Witten put his hands on a coach or knock something out of a coach's hands?

show where Hardy put his hands on a coach. There have been several edited versions of the so called incident scattered around so no one really has any evidence that matters.
The fact that the HC considers this incident closed should be enough for those without agendas. Those with agendas will of course not let it go.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Did he strike Pope?

Did Hardy? Point is they were comparable antics.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Everything is not judged on "legality". You can be reckless and still be legal.
Again, whether you like it or not, the image of a person with guns strewn on a bed suggests a "gansta" image. You couple that with other behavior and lapses in judgment Hardy has displayed, no wonder people question him.
Look, I'm not arguing whether Hardy should or shouldn't be a Cowboy. He is.
My point is fans seem some stunned and irritated that the media are criticizing Hardy. Well, duh!
Hardy's background and reputation have led to this point. He has to understand this, and our fans do too.
And the media are not going to stop shining the spotlight on him. So he either changes his ways or gets used to the intense scrutiny about his behavior.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
show where Hardy put his hands on a coach. There have been several edited versions of the so called incident scattered around so no one really has any evidence that matters.
The fact that the HC considers this incident closed should be enough for those without agendas. Those with agendas will of course not let it go.

Sigh.

You stepped into a middle of a discussion and made an assumption without complete information.

I didn't say Hardy put his hands on a coach. Someone said Witten became physical with a coach, and I asked if this was true.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score

Do you not see that Hardy is the innocent victim here?