Have Jerry Jones And His Pride Cursed The Cowboys?

quickccc

Reaction score
:laugh: You don't think Jones overrides when he wants, you're fooling yourself. This is year 28.

Broadus said it a few weeks ago, he'd like to see what McClay could do without being chained to Jerry and Stephen. I think a lot of fans share that sentiment.
just as i think you're fooling yourself if you think this current Jerry is the Jerry of past years,...

if that was truly the case, then QB Johnny Manziel would have been our first round pick over future Hall of Famer OG Zack Martin..

Also with McClay .. he could have pursued other opportunities of being a GM elsewhere on other NFL teams, but he is apparently content with his current role
here with the Cowboys ...

I don't think Jerry is the problem vs McClay,.. i think it's been the son Cap Boy Stephen ...Stephen is just the opposite vs his father Jerry as he is far more conservative. whereas jerry
would 've been more the risk taking river boat gambler.

if it were Jerry, in what we experienced disasterous re-signing ,FA signing and trades .WR Roy Williams ...WR James Williams ....TE San Deigo.. ,etc, etc .. .as per back in those days

just me, but privately I am very concerned about Jerry's health, and I think because of so, he is shockingly giving up more team operation to Son & co. greatly more so than ever before,
Does he officially still have the final green light finger button and John Hancock signature on the payroll checks .. yes, But he's just pushing the button, in terms
of how the team is operating he is giving into stronger reports and recommendations than ever before. ..imo.

Flamma

Reaction score
:laugh: You don't think Jones overrides when he wants, you're fooling yourself. This is year 28.

Broadus said it a few weeks ago, he'd like to see what McClay could do without being chained to Jerry and Stephen. I think a lot of fans share that sentiment.
Jerry could, but I don't think he does. I think he gave the reins to his son. The trade for Cooper was a Jerry type move. Remember all the crazy moves Jerry used to make? Then it all came to a halt. He was never good during the salary cap era.

I think someone else is in control now, taking the conservative approach. To the point where it looks like they're afraid of making a mistake. Even the draft is super conservative. As if run by amateurs, again, afraid to make a mistake.

rambo2

Reaction score
You can sit there and justify what he did for 25 years? That is funny!
Lol, they are good now. Will you still hate if he wins a couple of more championships? Should Chiefs fans hate because they had a 50 year drought? Should Bills and Vikings fans hate because they have never won? What if they called the Dez catch good and they won the championship that year? Are Nuggets fans unhappy now? They have never won. The bottom line is it is funny to complain when we have one of the best teams in the league.

rambo2

Reaction score
Jerry could, but I don't think he does. I think he gave the reins to his son. The trade for Cooper was a Jerry type move. Remember all the crazy moves Jerry used to make? Then it all came to a halt. He was never good during the salary cap era.

I think someone else is in control now, taking the conservative approach. To the point where it looks like they're afraid of making a mistake. Even the draft is super conservative. As if run by amateurs, again, afraid to make a mistake.
Lol, they are one of the best drafting teams in the league. That is a main reason that they are one of the best teams in the NFC.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Bet, let us listen to you actually explaining this...beyond an attitude *(that all have one) and inform us exactly what were the choices were and why they were bad, smart guy...
1st and main thing that he did was be jealous that Jimmy was getting all the credit for the SBs - his ego was what led to Jimmy leaving.

A more secure man would have let him have the credit and reap the benefits, but no Jerry had to be in front of the cameras and get the accolades...big mistake.

Then as for his football knowledge - again just look up the drafts between Jimmy and Bill.

Holding onto Jason for as long as he did.

The superstar culture that he bring to the team...

As for "an attitude" dont know where that came from, just stating my opinion calmly - I know the written word doesn't always convey emotion/attitude.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes true, but where Jerry messes up is the culture of the team and obviously his ego and wanting to be acknowledged as a "football guy"

Thats what led him to hold on to Garrett as long as he did.

That and I really dont think he that knowledgeable about the game - just take a look at the drafts between Jimmy and Bill...its scary bad.
And that's why there's a new cloud , in the sky.. and there's a much more stronger. more influential voice in the offices, in the operations than ever before.

And that voice is the son ..Stephen, along with Jerry himself finally giving into those influences than ever before.

Otherwise Garrett would still be the current HC here ..

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
And that's why there's a new cloud , in the sky.. and there's a much more stronger. more influential voice in the offices, in the operations than ever before.

And that voice is the son ..Stephen, along with Jerry himself finally giving into those influences than ever before.

Yes again true but then he made Moore the OC and I got Jason nightmares again. ; )

But yes Jerry is GM by name only at this point.

Now the $64,000 dollar question is how Stephen will do as de facto GM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
just as i think you're fooling yourself if you think this current Jerry is the Jerry of past years,...

if that was truly the case, then QB Johnny Manziel would have been our first round pick over future Hall of Famer OG Zack Martin..

Also with McClay .. he could have pursued other opportunities of being a GM elsewhere on other NFL teams, but he is apparently content with his current role

I don't think Jerry is the problem vs McClay,.. i think it's been the son Cap Boy Stephen ...Stephen is just the opposite vs his father Jerry as he is far more conservative. whereas jerry

if it were Jerry, in what we experienced disasterous re-signing ,FA signing and trades .WR Roy Williams ...WR James Williams ....TE San Deigo.. ,etc, etc .. .as per back in those days

just me, but privately I am very concerned about Jerry's health, and I think because of so, he is shockingly giving up more team operation to Son & co. greatly more so than ever before,
Does he officially still have the final green light finger button and John Hancock signature on the payroll checks .. yes, But he's just pushing the button, in terms
of how the team is operating he is giving into stronger reports and recommendations than ever before. ..imo.
While Jethro has been delegating more there’s no indication of any health issues. And I’d agree Cheapskate Son does have a rigid clamp on contract negotiations but I’d argue overall most of those have actually been sound decisions .

I’d also agree that McClay could have gone elsewhere whereas he’s comfortable in current position as most credit him for some of the better draft decisions while not being held accountable for some of the bigger misses. And he’s not under any pressure like a GM would be. But being paid almost like one and comfortable being a puppet.

As far as the reference to Manziel that was all playing to to the media in Jethro’s behalf as never has any intention of drafting Romo’s heir apparent as he stated on day of draft. He simply showed interest in him in case Johnny was a bit since he was going to pass on him. But some fans want to point to that moment as some sort of passing of the baton to Son.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wonder if the past 28 years will be known as "The curse of the Jones Family" similar to the infamous, Curse of the Bambino (the 86-year world series draught that followed the Red Sox after trading Babe Ruth)?
It’s probably going to need a couple more decades to become anything like the Bambino curse . But we are certainly on our way.

Fortunately there is hope after Jethro bites the dust as I don’t expect his Heirs to run in same fashion. And there’s always hope they could sell it at some point. Unfortunately I probably won’t be around for it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
1st and main thing that he did was be jealous that Jimmy was getting all the credit for the SBs - his ego was what led to Jimmy leaving.

A more secure man would have let him have the credit and reap the benefits, but no Jerry had to be in front of the cameras and get the accolades...big mistake.

Then as for his football knowledge - again just look up the drafts between Jimmy and Bill.

Holding onto Jason for as long as he did.

The superstar culture that he bring to the team...

As for "an attitude" dont know where that came from, just stating my opinion calmly - I know the written word doesn't always convey emotion/attitude.
First, Jerry and Jimmy were both linemen on a National Championship Arkansas team. They both had very sound football knowledge. Jerry did his homework aside from his Wildcatting beginnings along with a sales background. He went to the Headquarters of San Francisco 49'ers and they explained all information then available on running of a successful franchise. He then went a similar learning experience with Al Davis and as to style of ownerships then as well.

What fans lose sight of is that to Jerry, loyalty WAS the mark of a man. Once that was insulted, all bets were then off. The rebuild is then own. Naw, there, Jimmy got what he himself earned. Glory aside.

Getting credit is like everything in a business environment, it starts at the top!

Jerry insulted the process and reaped his own negatives thrown on the table.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Jerry and Stephen learned management principals and how to develop a sustainable organization. That is what is in Dallas right now.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Agreed, Jerry oversees most actions, but not the team evaluations and game plans. Those he monitors.

As to the Jones Family, they are a prideful group and have accomplished on a very respectful level, as the top sporting franchise in the World. I'm not worried about Saudi Arabia, whose Prince visited a Cowboys game and Jimmy raised a stink about that presence.

The franchise principals are now fully established and the Dallas Cowboys are getting pretty good at the whole gambit of that picture.

I'm a fan!

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
First, Jerry and Jimmy were both linemen on a National Championship Arkansas team. They both had very sound football knowledge. Jerry did his homework aside from his Wildcatting beginnings along with a sales background. He went to the Headquarters of San Francisco 49'ers and they explained all information then available on running of a successful franchise. He then went a similar learning experience with Al Davis and as to style of ownerships then as well.

What fans lose sight of is that to Jerry, loyalty WAS the mark of a man. Once that was insulted, all bets were then off. The rebuild is then own. Naw, there, Jimmy got what he himself earned. Glory aside.

Getting credit is like everything in a business environment, it starts at the top!

Jerry insulted the process and reaped his own negatives thrown on the table.
Jerry was a oil man/ business man before he bought the Cowboys and Jimmy was as an assistant coach since 1965.

Who do you think had the more football knowledge in 1989?

Who do you think should get the lions share of the credit for building those SB teams?

Jerry let his ego get in the way.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry was a oil man/ business man before he bought the Cowboys and Jimmy was as an assistant coach since 1965.

Who do you think had the more football knowledge in 1989?

Who do you think should get the lions share of the credit for building those SB teams?

Jerry let his ego get in the way.
Make believe picture that leaves out preparation of a well informed man. To say a Coach can run all organizations is a lie to the failure of that same Jimmy Johnson losing out in Miami with another coach's players he had to alone, improve upon.

No ego, as responsibility starts at the top and CAN NOT be delegated!

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
d9e9c0e4ed4962fd1fd387b9f6318bf4.gif

rambo2

Reaction score
All the business stuff means nothing. His stupidity came when he had no clue how to build a roster. It was quite apparent, hence the desperation to bring Parcells in. Cause you can bet that was the last thing he wanted to do. He had no clue how to fix a sinking ship. There was nothing brilliant about it.
The current roster is excellent.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would be Landry's if they would have beat the Packers. Will it make you feel better if they win this year or next or both?
They'll still find something to complain about. That's how some are wired. They feel like the Cowboys owe them something.....they'll never let it go.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Well, then McClay should leave and find another job. He obviously doesn't agree with Broadus.....if he did, he be gone.