Have Jerry Jones And His Pride Cursed The Cowboys?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just hope one of Jerry's grandkids is smart enough to hire AND give control to a real GM...
already been done, his name is Will Mcclay regardless of title. BTW this organization has over 750 employees you somehow still under the realization that this is somehow being run like a mom and pop grocery store like on the corner like some convenience store??

you do realize I think if you count up everybody including players and upper management the Dallas Cowboys corporation might have over 1200 employees you think that Jerry just sits up there and is running everything I mean he's the figurehead GM he obviously is the owner and this is just one of his businesses you don't think he knows how to delegate and he doesn't trust peoples who know more than him their opinions I mean I realize what it looked like early on in the 90s but you need to get over it Jerry's not running this like a mom and pop organization he can't you think he can sit up there and do all the work to make sure 750 to 1200 employees are doing what they're supposed to be doing? It is set up just like a big corporation his name as an owner and figurehead GM it's what he likes to be but there is a lot of layers between him and the rest of this organization you'll still think that will Mcclay is not the GM and he does most of the GM duties along with others.. Jerry also owns other businesses and franchises like Papa John's and other things besides his old oil businesses and whatnot he knows how to hire management and employees and how to delegate and allow businesses to be run like other businesses

oh and I hate to have to keep reminding fans and zoners who feel like they know everything we've seen teams that have been bad for decades who have changed their GM four times ownership a couple of times constantly firing head coaches changing their quarterbacks and it's done nothing to make them win Super Bowls they literally don't have a blueprint for this you think that's it that it's all fixed if Jerry just starts hiring and firing a GM some of you are just clueless you just are focused on the fact that Jerry likes to have his name in lights he likes to be the guy that doesn't mean he doesn't have a whole bunch of people that he relies on making a consensus opinion on decisions will Mcclay is the number one guy who is in a GM role with a different title who cares about the title we've seen other teams do this constantly and it gets them nowhere so why is it that everyone thinks that if Jerry changes admits he doesn't want the title anymore everything just suddenly miracally happens and the curse is lifted there is no curse there are other teams in this league that have been losing for far longer than we have and it took far longer in between their Super Bowl droughts so let's just move on you're stuck still in that first five years after Switzer left and things have changed a lot since then.

Big_D

Reaction score
I'll tell you what, Robin Hood, get the money and buy the team...

Garrett was a prior player and from a long line of NFL working members. He even played on the Cowboys in two Super Bowl victories. He came back and was the offensive coordinator under Wade Phillips. Wade did very well while in Houston and initially in Dallas.

Both Wade and Jason Garrett were successful, but Jason's strengths weren't in drafting in today's NFL. His dad was in scouting for a long time and he learned their standards originally.

All the previous Dallas coaches loved football...

I'll admit up front, the Cowboys haven't made it past the Divisional level since Barry Switzer, but even he has a Lombardi. As a coach, he did a top job.

I like this team, so I'll just leave all the Jerry and Prescott moaning and groaning to you NFL 'experts.'

Wade and Garrett were the dumbest hires of all. That team was ready to take off in 2007 but instead Jerry runs out and hires Mister Softee and hands the offense to a guy with no resume whatsoever before even hiring the HC????? Who does that? Complete yes men to keep up the facade for the owner. Plus the setup of having the "HC" in charge of the defense and the assistant HC in charge of the offense. By 2010 it was already a mess.

Then the kicker is he blames Phillips and keeps the no resume guy for another 10 years like he wasn't part of the problem. They had a team good enough to win championships back in 2007 and the owner ran it into the ground.

Too funny how even an actual resume or coaching tree are unimportant here. At least McCarthy has that.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys haven't advanced past the Divisional round of the NFL Playoffs since their last Super Bowl appearance in 1995.

It has become a running joke on social media, with prominent talking heads like Stephen A. Smith leading the charge.

The desperation rises with each passing season that ends in some sort of heartbreak.

There has to be more to it. Could the Cowboys actually be suffering from some sort of curse?...

(don't start the insults...read the article)

https://insidethestar.com/have-jerry-jones-and-his-pride-cursed-the-cowboys/
The Cowboys are not cursed, that's silly.
Jerry not being qualified as a gm has definitely held the team back the last 28 years.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys are not cursed, that's silly.
Jerry not being qualified as a gm has definitely held the team back the last 28 years.
I don't know how many actual records have been posted that dispell the myth of only losing...since Landry was forced out of the Cowboys franchise.

The only actual beef of a fan is no Divisional level wins since Barry Switzer, but that is more in line with the type sport that football is, not disgruntled fans.

Jarntt

Reaction score
already been done, his name is Will Mcclay regardless of title. BTW this organization has over 750 employees you somehow still under the realization that this is somehow being run like a mom and pop grocery store like on the corner like some convenience store??

you do realize I think if you count up everybody including players and upper management the Dallas Cowboys corporation might have over 1200 employees you think that Jerry just sits up there and is running everything I mean he's the figurehead GM he obviously is the owner and this is just one of his businesses you don't think he knows how to delegate and he doesn't trust peoples who know more than him their opinions I mean I realize what it looked like early on in the 90s but you need to get over it Jerry's not running this like a mom and pop organization he can't you think he can sit up there and do all the work to make sure 750 to 1200 employees are doing what they're supposed to be doing? It is set up just like a big corporation his name as an owner and figurehead GM it's what he likes to be but there is a lot of layers between him and the rest of this organization you'll still think that will Mcclay is not the GM and he does most of the GM duties along with others.. Jerry also owns other businesses and franchises like Papa John's and other things besides his old oil businesses and whatnot he knows how to hire management and employees and how to delegate and allow businesses to be run like other businesses

oh and I hate to have to keep reminding fans and zoners who feel like they know everything we've seen teams that have been bad for decades who have changed their GM four times ownership a couple of times constantly firing head coaches changing their quarterbacks and it's done nothing to make them win Super Bowls they literally don't have a blueprint for this you think that's it that it's all fixed if Jerry just starts hiring and firing a GM some of you are just clueless you just are focused on the fact that Jerry likes to have his name in lights he likes to be the guy that doesn't mean he doesn't have a whole bunch of people that he relies on making a consensus opinion on decisions will Mcclay is the number one guy who is in a GM role with a different title who cares about the title we've seen other teams do this constantly and it gets them nowhere so why is it that everyone thinks that if Jerry changes admits he doesn't want the title anymore everything just suddenly miracally happens and the curse is lifted there is no curse there are other teams in this league that have been losing for far longer than we have and it took far longer in between their Super Bowl droughts so let's just move on you're stuck still in that first five years after Switzer left and things have changed a lot since then.
You are completely wrong. Perhaps you missed the part where you quoted me saying "and give control to"

blueblood70

Reaction score
You are completely wrong. Perhaps you missed the part where you quoted me saying "and give control to"
No

missed nothing

WM and as a collaborative group are making decisions, no GM has 100% control sorry that not how cooperate structures work, never has never will..even BB got overruled when TB went to ownership unhappy he felt BB tryig to insert Garopolo or anther qb like brisset they kept drafting, got JimmyG traded LOL BB wanted to move on from tom and wasn't allowed too.. that full control umm nope. Now go to other Gms ive even many of them get overruled by an owner.

we nearly lost Ware because our GM/HC Big Bill wanted spears over ware, sure glad Jerry got that fixed.. luckily ended up with both but we see Gms make mistles all of them do whe they have all the control things can go sideways lie the chip Kelly experiment and also the cards being forced to change coaches and first round qbs b2b years and still never turned the corner. Jerry the GM title holder

all around the league we have seen teams with GM's and head coaches and quarterbacks get changed constantly and it didn't fix anything immediately or even long term hence over and over they keep trying to make changes and it doesn't really go anywhere so this whole Jerry being the GM has held us back stop living 30 years ago yes he made a ton of mistakes the first five years after switzer left this is no longer that time things are different now and if you can't see it then that's on you I wholeheartedly disagree that Jerry's the acting GM is he part of the process yes he owns the team he's allowed just like all the other owners have some say and want to be kept in the loop of all decisions being made he is allowing will mcclay and that group to make more the decisions than he is making on his own..

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wade and Garrett were the dumbest hires of all. That team was ready to take off in 2007 but instead Jerry runs out and hires Mister Softee and hands the offense to a guy with no resume whatsoever before even hiring the HC????? Who does that? Complete yes men to keep up the facade for the owner. Plus the setup of having the "HC" in charge of the defense and the assistant HC in charge of the offense. By 2010 it was already a mess.

Then the kicker is he blames Phillips and keeps the no resume guy for another 10 years like he wasn't part of the problem. They had a team good enough to win championships back in 2007 and the owner ran it into the ground.

Too funny how even an actual resume or coaching tree are unimportant here. At least McCarthy has that.
Remind me never to ask for a job reference from you...

CCBoy

Reaction score
No

missed nothing

WM and as a collaborative group are making decisions, no GM has 100% control sorry that not how cooperate structures work, never has never will..even BB got overruled when TB went to ownership unhappy he felt BB tryig to insert Garopolo or anther qb like brisset they kept drafting, got JimmyG traded LOL BB wanted to move on from tom and wasn't allowed too.. that full control umm nope. Now go to other Gms ive even many of them get overruled by an owner.

we nearly lost Ware because our GM/HC Big Bill wanted spears over ware, sure glad Jerry got that fixed.. luckily ended up with both but we see Gms make mistles all of them do whe they have all the control things can go sideways lie the chip Kelly experiment and also the cards being forced to change coaches and first round qbs b2b years and still never turned the corner. Jerry the GM title holder

all around the league we have seen teams with GM's and head coaches and quarterbacks get changed constantly and it didn't fix anything immediately or even long term hence over and over they keep trying to make changes and it doesn't really go anywhere so this whole Jerry being the GM has held us back stop living 30 years ago yes he made a ton of mistakes the first five years after switzer left this is no longer that time things are different now and if you can't see it then that's on you I wholeheartedly disagree that Jerry's the acting GM is he part of the process yes he owns the team he's allowed just like all the other owners have some say and want to be kept in the loop of all decisions being made he is allowing will mcclay and that group to make more the decisions than he is making on his own..
Check...roger...hoooooah!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Dallas front office has remained less than vigilant about being proactive for decades now. That's the main problem in a nutshell. They much prefer to self-pat themselves on the back by considering themselves as an elite managerial organization. They have far too long needed to hire a capable GM to guide their team to better results. They fear doing so would entail investing far more money than what they'd be comfortable with. Their many actions throughout the years serve as a testimonial to that fact. Their zeal for frugality has become entirely too overdone. It's so sad for a once-proud team!

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Dallas front office has remained less than vigilant about being proactive for decades now. That's the main problem in a nutshell. They much prefer to self-pat themselves on the back for considering themselves as an elite managerial organization. They have far too long needed to hire a capable GM to guide their team to better results. I feel they fear doing so would entail investing far more money than what they'd be comfortable with. Their actions throughout the years serve as a testimonial to that fact. Their zeal for frugality has become entirely too overdone. Too bad for a once-proud team.
I have to disagree with the status...not getting past the Divisional level.

Jerry and Stephen both have learned the importance of real evaluations at the corporate levels. With demands accumulating at the coaching levels, and publicly seen, the use of after-action-analysis and scouting have actually improved at the front of of public view. Even Stephen can't live a family lie for the sake of money...not and still lead the world in sports revenue.

There is an accounting that has arrived or ownership of the label of corrupt and inept creeps back to front view...not just with emotional stimulated unhappy disgruntles. Credability is at stake, and both Jerry and Stephen are proud men.

I'll at the very least watch...I'm a fan.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Doesn't Jerry and Prescott just beat all at failures...

Darla Hood

Pete the Dog

Matthew 'Stymie' Beard

Our whole gang says so...

Big_D

Reaction score
Remind me never to ask for a job reference from you...

Huh? I guess you just had to play football and Jerry will fast track you to a coordinator position and then HC yet you don't see that anywhere else? 2 year QB coach who doesn't have to work his way up the ladder. Phillips would've been fine if he was able to hire his own coaches and wasn't handcuffed to Jerry's protege from the second he got here. Notice how Jason Garrett isn't even in the league any more? That's because Jerry Jones is his coaching tree and it looks a lot like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. Jerry apparently doesn't ask for references either and from the second Parcells left he micromanaged that team to 0-7 start by 2010. Pretty much every decision in those 3 years were garbage and it started with the coaching hires. Combined none of them apparently had any clue how to evaluate a roster or build one.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Huh? I guess you just had to play football and Jerry will fast track you to a coordinator position and then HC yet you don't see that anywhere else? 2 year QB coach who doesn't have to work his way up the ladder. Phillips would've been fine if he was able to hire his own coaches and wasn't handcuffed to Jerry's protege from the second he got here. Notice how Jason Garrett isn't even in the league any more? That's because Jerry Jones is his coaching tree and it looks a lot like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. Jerry apparently doesn't ask for references either and from the second Parcells left he micromanaged that team in to 0-7 start by 2010. Pretty much every decision in those 3 years were garbage and it started with the coaching hires. A threesome who apparently had no clue how to evaluate a roster or build one.
Star light, star bright, first star,..tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish, tonight....

Now, reapply some effort at a team supportive and building reference. :popcorn:

A real discussion not found above:

It's a bit surprising that the Philadelphia Eagles are still being looked at as the top team in the NFC and the one with the best chance of reaching the Super Bowl again. Not because of the talent on their roster, but more so because of the loss of their offensive and defensive coordinators.

Losing Jonathan Gannon will hurt Philly's defense at times this season, with new players coming in and possibly a new defensive scheme and game plans being used it's only natural for players to make mistakes. But the real issue will be how new defensive coordinator Sean Desai overcomes adversity during the season if star players get hurt or teams find weaknesses in his defense. He's a well-respected coach but with the weight of the Philly media on you and a rabid fan base, everything could easily come crashing down around him.

The same goes for new offensive coordinator Brian Johnson who's replacing Shane Steichen this season. Going from a quarterback coach to an offensive coordinator may not seem like that big of a jump but when your main focus goes from helping a group of 3-4 players to now overseeing how an entire scheme is installed and run, that's a lot. Johnson will most likely use a lot of what Steichen installed to make things easier in his first season but just like Desai, Johnson will need to figure out quickly how to handle defenses that know how to attack this offense. His inexperience could well be the biggest weakness and reason that the Eagles struggle in 2023.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/5-dream-scenarios-boost-cowboys-2023-super-bowl-odds

Rabid fan base hit home for you?

Big_D

Reaction score
Star light, star bright, first star,..tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish, tonight....

Now, reapply some effort at a team supportive and building reference. :popcorn:

A real discussion not found above:

It's a bit surprising that the Philadelphia Eagles are still being looked at as the top team in the NFC and the one with the best chance of reaching the Super Bowl again. Not because of the talent on their roster, but more so because of the loss of their offensive and defensive coordinators.

Losing Jonathan Gannon will hurt Philly's defense at times this season, with new players coming in and possibly a new defensive scheme and game plans being used it's only natural for players to make mistakes. But the real issue will be how new defensive coordinator Sean Desai overcomes adversity during the season if star players get hurt or teams find weaknesses in his defense. He's a well-respected coach but with the weight of the Philly media on you and a rabid fan base, everything could easily come crashing down around him.

The same goes for new offensive coordinator Brian Johnson who's replacing Shane Steichen this season. Going from a quarterback coach to an offensive coordinator may not seem like that big of a jump but when your main focus goes from helping a group of 3-4 players to now overseeing how an entire scheme is installed and run, that's a lot. Johnson will most likely use a lot of what Steichen installed to make things easier in his first season but just like Desai, Johnson will need to figure out quickly how to handle defenses that know how to attack this offense. His inexperience could well be the biggest weakness and reason that the Eagles struggle in 2023.

https://thelandryhat.com/posts/5-dream-scenarios-boost-cowboys-2023-super-bowl-odds

Rabid fan base hit home for you?

LOL Johnson has 13 years on his resume and spent 4 as a college coordinator with stops at 4 schools before going to Philly, keep pretending that doesn't mean anything. Desai also has a legit resume with 5 stops before Philly and both guys have experience as coordinators and time spent with other coaches. They are very far from the Jason Garrett situation. What a ridiculous take.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I have actually thought about this on a different level. I wonder if we are cursed until the owner puts Jimmy in the ROH. It seems like this team can't get past where Jimmy took us (except for that one season with Switzer). I wonder if our luck would turn around if Jerry would lay his ego aside and put Jimmy in the ROH where he belongs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I have actually thought about this on a different level. I wonder if we are cursed until the owner puts Jimmy in the ROH. It seems like this team can't get past where Jimmy took us (except for that one season with Switzer). I wonder if our luck would turn around if Jerry would lay his ego aside and put Jimmy in the ROH where he belongs.
Another word for that is karma.

CCBoy

Reaction score
LOL Johnson has 13 years on his resume and spent 4 as a college coordinator with stops at 4 schools before going to Philly, keep pretending that doesn't mean anything. Desai also has a legit resume with 5 stops before Philly and both guys have experience as coordinators and time spent with other coaches. They are very far from the Jason Garrett situation. What a ridiculous take.
That's not nearly as good approaching an eye sore as above, than plain old soap.

Change is not seemless as schemes change and players have to walk through that with changed players as well.

Ridiculous is not discussing proven problems over the course of the NFL. Try explaining some of the actually real examples of failures in just such circumstance.

I put cherries in my martini, not as an excuse to cherry pick and leave things on one's own attitude.

I got some of this from the old Texas Stadium before it became a railroad center...

Gotta Go Grass 5.32-sq ft Natural Bermuda Sod Piece

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys haven't advanced past the Divisional round of the NFL Playoffs since their last Super Bowl appearance in 1995.

It has become a running joke on social media, with prominent talking heads like Stephen A. Smith leading the charge.

The desperation rises with each passing season that ends in some sort of heartbreak.

There has to be more to it. Could the Cowboys actually be suffering from some sort of curse?...

(don't start the insults...read the article)

https://insidethestar.com/have-jerry-jones-and-his-pride-cursed-the-cowboys/
he has cursed them. once Johnson's foot print and handy work decipated rfom the team, it went down hill really fast. and its never been back up. the focus has been on making money and this franchise more valuable. not on winning. it will remain that way until he turns senile, we become laughing stock and he hands the keys to his jokester of a son. the salary cap spreadsheet manager.

so we are looking at at least another 25 years of futility.