Have Jerry Jones And His Pride Cursed The Cowboys?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Initially thought he basically let Jimmy make Personnel decisions building the team . Jethro just rubber stamped everything and pursued the moves Jimmy wanted which was great support. Just what we needed .

It wasn’t until Jimmy got all of the credit for winning back to back Super Bowls that Jethro became jealous as he wasn’t the Face of his franchise .

It was our first example that winning wasn’t enough.
That is one side of the story. The other is that anytime Jerry would do anything like broker the Everett trade, Jimmy would get jealous and talk smack about Jerry. He decided that he wanted out and instead of honoring his contract he went full undermining insubordination.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The only "curse" is Jerry & Son playing fantasy football front office. They managed one last SB with Jimmy's leftovers. It has been their handiwork ever since.
Sorry guy, but that still takes good leadership.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Around here some will crap on a Super Bowl winning coach and pretend the owner who never coached a day in his life is somehow on equal footing with the guy who prepares the team. You listen to the Jerry vs Jimmy arguments and it's as ridiculous as it gets for those who still defend Jerry Jones. A guy who never took coaching seriously once Jimmy left. Every hire besides Parcells at the time revolved around making himself comfortable and finding the proper yes man.
Well said.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Plus nepotism. Another dumb arse in waiting.
and another and another ! lol jones dynasty may go on for centuries !
Imagine 300 years from now some fan thinking " man it has been 327 years since we made it past the div round !
But the jones family says this will be the year, and I believe them !
After all they do own America ~!

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Around here some will crap on a Super Bowl winning coach and pretend the owner who never coached a day in his life is somehow on equal footing with the guy who prepares the team. You listen to the Jerry vs Jimmy arguments and it's as ridiculous as it gets for those who still defend Jerry Jones. A guy who never took coaching seriously once Jimmy left. Every hire besides Parcells at the time revolved around making himself comfortable and finding the proper yes man.
he was never a GM either lol, in all his wisdom he decided he was the best man for the job !
Or it was his toy, so if he wanted to be GM they so be it !

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not a curse.

However it is a direct result of his ego.

Jerry is a great business man. People may not like him but to say otherwise would be stupid.

Jimmy and Jerry, yes both, put together a great team in Dallas and if not for a bad start with multiple INTs in the NFC championship game vs San Fran we would have had four superbowl wins in a row.

However Jimmy was getting tired of Jerry and wanting to go back to Florida and Jerry's ego and drunken state made him brag and say things that should not have been said in a setting in front of many. Although he was correct in one aspect as he did hire another coach and that coach won because that team was so good. However Jerry did not plan long term. He was too busy trying to do things with him and his family buy paying outrageous to many FA players to the point some of the FA Agents would have Dallas bidding against themselves.

That did not work as his long term ability to right the ship was not there. He had Jimmy running the ship and he learned some things from Jimmy but not as much as he thought. He also learned from the Tuna but again not enough.

Then after getting burned too many times of over paying FAs to come to the team Jerry let Little enos aka Cap Boy take over. Instead of doing a course correct that keep them going forward he did something else. He did the exact opposite and they became cheap skates concerning FA. I believe they stole this idea from the patriots. The just did not have the Coaches and Front Office to let those coaches run the ship.

So they started using the draft for what it should be. They did not start drafting for Special Teams like they had in the past. In some drafts they focused in on a specific player and or position. Sometimes that bit them in the butt. However they improved on that and started to draft much better getting the BPA in most cases but they also got wise and got Quinn to help this defense. Planned or not they also got very lucky that things panned out that instead of getting the CBs they wanted they got the best defensive player in the draft in Micah and Quinn have made a difference on this D.

Will they finally make the final push and win another Championship. Hard to tell. They have started to improve in the draft and some of the cheaper FA signings have paid off, I said some not all.

Now they need to get the offense and defense to click together.

I think they have the talent to make the big game. I think they have the right DC. I do not know if the HC/OC is the right person. But I still think they can do it.

The problem is if they think they can do it and if they focus in and do not make the dumb mistakes that cost games. Stop with the stupid turnovers on Offense. Get more turn overs on defense.

However after years of futility when it comes to the playoffs...it is hard to get your hopes up too high because they have managed to find a way to come crashing down in the playoffs.

It is time for them to actually do it while they still have some good players and before we have to let them go because too many will want large contracts and there is only so much money to work under the cap. So the time is not before we start going through another rebuild.

Jerry, step out of the way. Let the coaches Coach. If they need something...get it for them.

And one last thing Jerry. Pull that big old wrinkly head out of your old stubborn arse and drop the ego.

PUT JIMMY IN THE ROH. HE HAS LONG DESERVED IT AND YOU DAMN WELL KNOW IT.

\old man rambling rant off

CCBoy

Reaction score
he was never a GM either lol, in all his wisdom he decided he was the best man for the job !
Or it was his toy, so if he wanted to be GM they so be it !
When Jerry entered the ownership of the Cowboys, there were several forms of ownership that involved huge gambles. Ownership was successful for both the Raiders and the Cowboys. Back when the AFC entered the picture, one had to control the cash flow as well as hold himself accountable. Jerry sought advice all over the people of the professional football of the era. He wasn't at all a stupid or naive entry.

You youngsters quit trying to rewrite history and just ignore because as fans, you are actually naive and really don't know but the voice of skepticism.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
and another and another ! lol jones dynasty may go on for centuries !
Imagine 300 years from now some fan thinking " man it has been 327 years since we made it past the div round !
But the jones family says this will be the year, and I believe them !
After all they do own America ~!
Lol. Yep. There is a sucker born every minute.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
A billion dollar business and you guys say he has no clue....
He is a great business man. However, he is a garbage football mind. Someone humble or capable of common sense would have accepted that fact over 27 years ago. Hired a gm and let football minds handle the football side of operations while he takes care of the business side such as marketing, branding, etc. Like a normal owner with an actual gm.

But noooooo. OL' Jerry started thinking he can handle the football side of operations as well as Jimmy and he has failed miserably every since. If any gm had Jerry's pathetic playoff record he would be fired ten times over. Yet we are stuck with one of the worst gms in the league who has infinite job security.

We hate Jerry not because he's a bumbling idiot. But because he's a man whose hubris refuses to learn from his past mistakes. So it's groundhog day every year with fake hope and the same gut wrenching conclusion.

Bad contracts. Releasing the wrong players. Overpaying for average players. Bad drafts in the past. Terrible free agent signings. Coaching hires restricted to yes men. Mettling between players and coaches. Constantly undermining coaches. Terrible at salary cap manipulation and going all in for quality players.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
It is not a curse.

However it is a direct result of his ego.

Jerry is a great business man. People may not like him but to say otherwise would be stupid.

Jimmy and Jerry, yes both, put together a great team in Dallas and if not for a bad start with multiple INTs in the NFC championship game vs San Fran we would have had four superbowl wins in a row.

However Jimmy was getting tired of Jerry and wanting to go back to Florida and Jerry's ego and drunken state made him brag and say things that should not have been said in a setting in front of many. Although he was correct in one aspect as he did hire another coach and that coach won because that team was so good. However Jerry did not plan long term. He was too busy trying to do things with him and his family buy paying outrageous to many FA players to the point some of the FA Agents would have Dallas bidding against themselves.

That did not work as his long term ability to right the ship was not there. He had Jimmy running the ship and he learned some things from Jimmy but not as much as he thought. He also learned from the Tuna but again not enough.

Then after getting burned too many times of over paying FAs to come to the team Jerry let Little enos aka Cap Boy take over. Instead of doing a course correct that keep them going forward he did something else. He did the exact opposite and they became cheap skates concerning FA. I believe they stole this idea from the patriots. The just did not have the Coaches and Front Office to let those coaches run the ship.

So they started using the draft for what it should be. They did not start drafting for Special Teams like they had in the past. In some drafts they focused in on a specific player and or position. Sometimes that bit them in the butt. However they improved on that and started to draft much better getting the BPA in most cases but they also got wise and got Quinn to help this defense. Planned or not they also got very lucky that things panned out that instead of getting the CBs they wanted they got the best defensive player in the draft in Micah and Quinn have made a difference on this D.

Will they finally make the final push and win another Championship. Hard to tell. They have started to improve in the draft and some of the cheaper FA signings have paid off, I said some not all.

Now they need to get the offense and defense to click together.

I think they have the talent to make the big game. I think they have the right DC. I do not know if the HC/OC is the right person. But I still think they can do it.

The problem is if they think they can do it and if they focus in and do not make the dumb mistakes that cost games. Stop with the stupid turnovers on Offense. Get more turn overs on defense.

However after years of futility when it comes to the playoffs...it is hard to get your hopes up too high because they have managed to find a way to come crashing down in the playoffs.

It is time for them to actually do it while they still have some good players and before we have to let them go because too many will want large contracts and there is only so much money to work under the cap. So the time is not before we start going through another rebuild.

Jerry, step out of the way. Let the coaches Coach. If they need something...get it for them.

And one last thing Jerry. Pull that big old wrinkly head out of your old stubborn arse and drop the ego.

PUT JIMMY IN THE ROH. HE HAS LONG DESERVED IT AND YOU DAMN WELL KNOW IT.

\old man rambling rant off
That was fair my friend...

I think things started to change when the management became much better and accurate in after-action-analysis. Management was successful at developing it's scouting department and it's retention. This alone allowed the cap to be managed and make work great general drafting. This bunch gets lots of game plays from it's drafted players and that is a sign of a strong organization.

Mix that with consecutive years with 12 wins, quickly to be three straight, and the team is right at the cruxt of being a top 3 team in the NFC. If they win it all or not, at least the team is pretty competitive.

Sometimes a team who is new again to the top of the playoffs, still have a tough final step. The NFC is a special step as well. It has been historically a tough and complex group. Winning the NFC and going through those teams has produced quite a few Lombardi Trophies. It probably produces one this season.

Since Parcells, Jerry has attempted to leave actual controls to Head Coaches, Jerry still follows all that is going on...but that actually is a function of a good business. His structure functions has already been institutionalized as to a GM and not being able to stabilize quickly as to a Head Coach. He gives a Head Coach a 3 year window...but had to personally walk through a much longer window with Jason Garret, because of how Jimmy Johnson had left the team. He was first a wild catter, and trust was very important in a gambler's life. That's the facts. Jerry has had to attempt to over come that, once it was a policy tendency.

I also believe that Jerry needs to burry the hatchet with Jimmy as well and show us all that he is a Cowboys fan also!

This is football...I'm not going to be angry with the gods of something goes wrong as long as the team did everything with strong heart and dedicated heart. Football is a touch just arbitrary, but it was made that way and not a flag football game, even with some fan's expectations and they think, predictatbility.

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys haven't advanced past the Divisional round of the NFL Playoffs since their last Super Bowl appearance in 1995.

It has become a running joke on social media, with prominent talking heads like Stephen A. Smith leading the charge.

The desperation rises with each passing season that ends in some sort of heartbreak.

There has to be more to it. Could the Cowboys actually be suffering from some sort of curse?...

(don't start the insults...read the article)

https://insidethestar.com/have-jerry-jones-and-his-pride-cursed-the-cowboys/
I couldn't care less what Stephen A Smith thinks or says. He thinks he's the end all know all of all of sports and in reality he knows very little. He used to ramble on about how Charles Barkley was extremely over rated when he played. Ya a guy who in actuality was only 6' 5" played power forward against other forwards who were 6'9" and even led the league in rebounds and averaged 22 points a game for his career. He was an All NBA 1st teamer and made the All star game 11 times.yet Stephen A Smith use to say how average he was. Oh ya he's a HOFer.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He is a great business man. However, he is a garbage football mind. Someone humble or capable of common sense would have accepted that fact over 27 years ago. Hired a gm and let football minds handle the football side of operations while he takes care of the business side such as marketing, branding, etc. Like a normal owner with an actual gm.

But noooooo. OL' Jerry started thinking he can handle the football side of operations as well as Jimmy and he has failed miserably every since. If any gm had Jerry's pathetic playoff record he would be fired ten times over. Yet we are stuck with one of the worst gms in the league who has infinite job security.

We hate Jerry not because he's a bumbling idiot. But because he's a man whose hubris refuses to learn from his past mistakes. So it's groundhog day every year with fake hope and the same gut wrenching conclusion.
Truth all known, you don't so much as have a clue...sing along with stereotype, but that isn't true.

You didn't stick with anyone and he took all the real gambles yet that makes YOU the expert. You bet, want some property in Florida?

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Truth all known, you don't so much as have a clue...sing along with stereotype, but that isn't true.

You didn't stick with anyone and he took all the real gambles yet that makes YOU the expert. You bet, want some property in Florida?
You have your 2 cent opinion which is not worth more than any one elses on this forum. It would serve you well to keep that in mind old timer.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You have your 2 cent opinion which is not worth more than any one elses on this forum. It would serve you well to keep that in mind old timer.
I'm presenting a different view as being confronted with a view. I do listen, an opposing opinion isn't wrong unto itself, but I don't have to agree when facts do point to personal conjecture and social bias. Those are different. Don't think that I talk truthfully...by all means - move on. I'm not threatened by the presence of sentiments. I go on reasonable and truthfully recorded historical accounts. Not folk ballads.

Incidentally I didn't insult you on value of participation, thank you. Had to really walk the same walk forging a professional sport did you for that credability?

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I couldn't care less what Stephen A Smith thinks or says. He thinks he's the end all know all of all of sports and in reality he knows very little. He used to ramble on about how Charles Barkley was extremely over rated when he played. Ya a guy who in actuality was only 6' 5" played power forward against other forwards who were 6'9" and even led the league in rebounds and averaged 22 points a game for his career. He was an All NBA 1st teamer and made the All star game 11 times.yet Stephen A Smith use to say how average he was. Oh ya he's a HOFer.
I thought it was prominently funny only to introduce the reason of a curse...not even karma. That seen as irony.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
I'm presenting a different view as being confronted view. I do listen, but an opposing opinion isn't wrong unto itself, but I don't have to agree when facts don't point to personal conjecture and social bias. Those are different. Don't think that I talk truthfully...by all means - move on. I'm not threatened by the presence of sentiments. I go on reasonable and truthfully recorded historical accounts. Not folk ballads.
You are not a Cowboy's insider nor are you an employee of the Cowboy's front office. You have no insight into their day to day operations. Much like the rest of us. Your posts are based on pure conjecture like any average fan.

You attempt to demean others and shut down people who do not think like yourself. Then when confronted with equally forceful words, you shrink back down to "I'm civilized and the rest of you guys are uninformed brutes who don't know how to disagree agreeably." We all know your schtick by now and none of us are falling for it.