Heath and Angles

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Zero help on the play. The ball was even thrown inside if the ball was better he would have been even firther away. It was him slowing his backpedal for that split second that made all the difference

More than one way Heath could have played it to get there on time. Could have lined up midfield instead of on the right hash too. Could have dropped deeper.

Hard to go outside with the ball with Awuzie playing outside leverage. If Anderson had tried to work outside, who knows where he might have been, what Awuzie would have done, and what Heath would have done in response.

Heath was a yard or two off on what everyone actually did on the play.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
More than one way Heath could have played it to get there on time. Could have lined up midfield instead of on the right hash too. Could have dropped deeper.

Hard to go outside with the ball with Awuzie playing outside leverage. If Anderson had tried to work outside, who knows where he might have been, what Awuzie would have done, and what Heath would have done in response.

Just for the record it was chidos man and he totally blew the coverage

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not excusing Awuzie at all. He got fooled badly. However, he had outside leverage so it would appear he thought he had help inside.

Heath is consistently a non factor in deep coverage. As the single high safety (as he was in that play) your obligation is the vertical threat first, especially in deep thirds, where the CB thinks you are helping. His eyes should have gone right to the #1 threat. He can always rally to the underneath play. I've seen for too many years that Heath has really poor FBI and the fact that opens, then pauses and shuffles, before finally opening up to the deep threat, shows to me he's simply not instinctive or disciplined. People here want so badly to turn him into a solid NFL player but he's a bottom-end starter in this league who will get you beat in the most critical moments.

Awuzie made a hard inside move when he saw the WR fake an inside move.

Normally the Cowboys CBs make more of a wide looping cut to stay behind the WR.

Video 1: Awuzie on another play where he plays outside leverage on an inside route.

Video 2: The 92 yard TD play. Awuzie makes a hard inside cut instead of the wider looping cut.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Awuzie has given up deep passes this season when he was the boundary CB (side with 1 receiver).

They've had 3 different deep Safeties and they've all lined up in a similar position (shaded to the side with 2 WRs and not overly deep).

I've yet to see anybody address why Lewis or the LBs didn't cover the slot WR.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well then the LB were way too far up.

Yes, either Lewis was expected to play man but instead played zone or the LBs were expected to be deep enough to have zone coverage on the slot WR.

To me it seems that Lewis should have played man on the slot WR, but I'm not certain what they were trying to do on that play other than they all appeared to expect a run.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's the single high S, x. The guy is running a shallow crossing route and there is a deeper route on the other side of the field.

Zone defenders are taught to get into their drop and drive on the football. That crossing route is designed to fool him and he was. It's an old old route combo.

it's not all on Heath as both corners were scorched but that doesn't exonerate him either.

The slot WR does not cut inside until about the time the QB is throwing the ball

If the slot WR had cut to the outside on a post it would have been worse because Heath would have to follow him in that direction and further from Awuzie/Anderson.

Was it really intended to be zone coverage?
  • The outside CBs are playing man.
  • The box Safety is all the way up and it appears that he would have played man on the RB if he ran a route.
  • Lewis follows the slot WR pre-snap from one side of the formation to the other.
  • The TE stayed in which keeps us from knowing how the LBs would have covered him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, what you've done is overanalyze. Why spend so much time reading between the lines when the proof is right there in front of you? Two players made very obvious mistakes, and you can slow it down all you want but their mistakes are right there for all to see, plain as day

If it's that obvious, who was expected to cover the slot WR?

CB61

Reaction score
Heath has poor lateral agility, which often makes it appear that he took a bad angle when in reality he simply lacked the physical skillset to adjust to the ball carrier. That's why you see him make great tackles at times, but also wiff on open field tackles because he can't adjust to ball carriers' cuts.
That's part of the problem he has good speed but does not have the physicality to use that speed sideways No Doubt

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Was it really intended to be zone coverage?
  • The outside CBs are playing man.
  • The box Safety is all the way up and it appears that he would have played man on the RB if he ran a route.
  • Lewis follows the slot WR pre-snap from one side of the formation to the other.
  • The TE stayed in which keeps us from knowing how the LBs would have covered him.

Was it intended to be 3 players with an 8 yard deep zone, two of them covering no one, leaving the entire back end to Heath no matter how many receivers went upfield beyond 8 yards?

It's a mess no matter how you slice it, whether scheme or play. Jaylon and Lewis contribute nothing to the defense on that play.

If that's what Marinellichard *intended* them to do, offenses will work on getting that *intention* out of them every play and run the slot receiver upfield or breaking out.

I don't believe the scheme can be that bad. If Lewis doesn't actually man up on the slot WR, then the slot guy goes up and out and we're just hosed no matter how deep Lews drops in his zone. Maybe this kind of thing is why Lewis doesn't get more play time.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was it intended to be 3 players with an 8 yard deep zone, two of them covering no one, leaving the entire back end to Heath no matter how many receivers went upfield beyond 8 yards?

It's a mess no matter how you slice it, whether scheme or play. Jaylon and Lewis contribute nothing to the defense on that play.

If that's what Marinellichard *intended* them to do, offenses will work on getting that *intention* out of them every play and run the slot receiver upfield or breaking out.

I don't believe the scheme can be that bad. If Lewis doesn't actually man up on the slot WR, then the slot guy goes up and out and we're just hosed no matter how deep Lews drops in his zone. Maybe this kind of thing is why Lewis doesn't get more play time.
Yes, if Lewis just plays man on the slot WR, then everything makes sense.

Heath was going to transition at the 25 instead of 30 until he saw the slot WR not covered. He would get to Anderson in plenty of time in that scenario. He might have even had a chance for an INT.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Hes not playing man. If the slot guy takes it up the seam heath would pick him up. The outside guys are in man. I mean the defense called a play to stop the run and left the corners on an island and one corner failed and gave up a 92 yard td. Dont overanalyze it. Jourdan Lewis did what he was supposed to do. Only @xwalker tries to discredit Jordan Lewis any chance he gets. Hes been close to our best corner on the team even this year. He knows I'm right and has me on ignore btw

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I was just thinking about the Cowboys, and realized the only problem they've had this century is Jeff Heath not bailing out his CBs for bad coverage.

If only he rescued them every time, and we still had Dan Bailey, the Cowboys would be the Patriots. :rolleyes:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Hes not playing man. If the slot guy takes it up the seam heath would pick him up. The outside guys are in man. I mean the defense called a play to stop the run and left the corners on an island and one corner failed and gave up a 92 yard td. Dont overanalyze it. Jourdan Lewis did what he was supposed to do. Only @xwalker tries to discredit Jordan Lewis any chance he gets. Hes been close to our best corner on the team even this year. He knows I'm right and has me on ignore btw

Heath is only supposed to help with the slot wr, and he plays 12 yards off and immediately back pedals off the snap to be over 20 yards deep on the slot wr?

Not remotely possible schematically.

And Heath has already flipped his hips to point toward Anderson when he's only at the 16. He's trying to cover both.

I don't have any axe to grind about Lewis. I do have an axe to grind with The GOAT, but that's in support, and I started into this thread by criticizing Heath for this play, and still do.

With the full field view, I'm just seeing how much more there is to criticize. Of course Awuzie. Jaylon spins around and does nothing. Lewis just does nothing.

If Lewis *doesn't* cover the slot guy in man, slot guy can can go upfield and break left and have *no one* on him. Heath is a thousand miles away and the RCB, who you have in man entirely on an island, has to follow his guy upfield.

Everything Heath does says he's playing the classic over the top FS role of providing over the top coverage across the field as the last line of defense.

Last edited:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Heath is only supposed to help with the slot wr, and he plays 12 yards off and immediately back pedals off the snap to be over 20 yards deep on the slot wr?

Not remotely possible schematically.

And Heath has already flipped his hips to point toward Anderson when he's only at the 16. He's trying to cover both.

I don't have any axe to grind about Lewis. I do have an axe to grind with The GOAT, but that's in support, and I started into this thread by criticizing Heath for this play, and still do.

With the full field view, I'm just seeing how much more there is to criticize. Of course Awuzie. Jaylon spins around and does nothing. Lewis just does nothing.

If Lewis *doesn't* cover the slot guy in man, slot guy can can go upfield and break left and have *no one* on him. Heath is a thousand miles away and the RCB, who you have in man entirely on an island, has to follow his guy upfield.

Everything Heath does says he's playing the classic over the top FS role of providing over the top coverage across the field as the last line of defense.
So you believe jourdan lewis was supposed to be in man but played in zone? Everything you are pointing out about the coverage being trash sucked against what was called. But that isn't on the guys playing zone fault that Richard got torched on this playcall.