Twitter: Highest Rate of Pass-Catchers Considered Open or Wide Open During the 2021-22 Season

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Matthew Stafford just won his 1st playoff game at 33 years old.....I guess it sounds good in theory to think quarterbacks don't get better by year 6 but its just completely false.

Did Matt Stafford become a different quarterback or did he inherit a better team? :huh:

Is McVay giving up three No.1 draft picks on a 33-year-old quarterback who still has a learning curve? :huh:

I seem to recall that Stafford was considered a good quarterback stuck with a lousy franchise.

Stafford has more weapons all around him both on offense and defense, and in his first year with this loaded team, he's one step closer to the NFC Championship Game.

Meanwhile, Dak has had No. 1 receivers, a line full of No. 1 picks (and one who would have been a No. 1 if he had not had off-field issues) and a No. 1 running back. And homefield advantage on two occasions, and we can't get pass the divisional round.

By the way, my statement is a generality. Few things are absolute, so you will have anomalies. But anomalies are just that - deviations. And, no, it's not "completely false." There are too many examples that say otherwise.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Against the 49ers, he was definitely the worst just slightly behind Lewis. Brown probably had the best day of all the CBs.

Not much talk about it but Kittle had only 1 catch for 18 yards on 3 targets Sunday. Whoever was responsible for him did a fantastic job. Even Deebo only had 3 catches for 38 yards. Other than that TD run after the INT the Cowboys held both players in check most of the game.
I'm speaking over the course of the season....Diggs has graded out as one of the worst corners....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Did Matt Stafford become a different quarterback or did he inherit a better team? :huh:

Is McVay giving up three No.1 draft picks on a 33-year-old quarterback who still has a learning curve? :huh:

I seem to recall that Stafford was considered a good quarterback stuck with a lousy franchise.

Stafford has more weapons all around him both on offense and defense, and in his first year with this loaded team, he's one step closer to the NFC Championship Game.

Meanwhile, Dak has had No. 1 receivers, a line full of No. 1 picks (and one who would have been a No. 1 if he had not had off-field issues) and a No. 1 running back. And homefield advantage on two occasions, and we can't get pass the divisional round.

By the way, my statement is a generality. Few things are absolute, so you will have anomalies. But anomalies are just that - deviations. And, no, it's not "completely false." There are too many examples that say otherwise.

I think Stafford got a better offensive mind in McVey and as a result its made him a better QB.

Cydios

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that when Dak has a free play (defensive offsides) His pass is on point? Something's not right upstairs and he's not using his instincts. It's the old "playing to win" or "playing not to lose"

He's like a kicker who lost their confidence.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think Stafford got a better offensive mind in McVey and as a result its made him a better QB.

Maybe so. But if that were the case, why did McVay not keep Goff? I contend there was something Stafford already had that Goff didn't. :)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that when Dak has a free play (defensive offsides) His pass is on point? Something's not right upstairs and he's not using his instincts. It's the old "playing to win" or "playing not to lose"

He's like a kicker who lost their confidence.
I actually agree with that. Playing scared.....its like the game frees up when the game is over or when its a free play........needs to use that same confidence all game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Maybe so. But if that were the case, why did McVay not keep Goff? I contend there was something Stafford already had that Goff didn't. :)
It is...but Goff was also a much better QB with the Rams than Lions...and yeah the argument could be because of talent. Can't deny that....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
But if the WRs are open, and the QB just isn't getting the ball to them, how do you blame the OC for that? Seems like he called plays that did what they're supposed to do, which is give the QB someone to throw to.
I wonder if the stat is for all WRs open on any play, even if the pass is completed..... that would skew a lot of stats....the better stat would be WRs that were open, but it was an incomplete pass.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Something happened after that broncos game.. but yea dak did have 37 touchdowns this year and offense was on fire the first 7 games of the season.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I mean I think Dak is better but let's say they are even or even give the edge to Stafford...you're telling me you don't see a huge difference in Sean McVey and Kellen Moore lol?

You still think Prescott is better? Matt quietly put up the monster season we discussed in August, and just murdered the team that gave Dak trouble not 10 days ago.

Take what we saw from Dak on Sunday and put him in the 2010’s Lions… is he doing nearly as well as Matt did?

Steve007

Reaction score
Oh so you think he takes a pay cut?
Stafford has a $9.5 million base salary in 2021 and a 12 million base salary in 2022 with a $10 million roster bonus. His cap hits are $20 million in 2021 and $23 million in 2022. He doens't have to take a pay cut. He has a long way to hit the highest paid qb in the league.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You still think Prescott is better? Matt quietly put up the monster season we discussed in August, and just murdered the team that gave Dak trouble not 10 days ago.

Take what we saw from Dak on Sunday and put him in the 2010’s Lions… is he doing nearly as well as Matt did?

Oh without a doubt. If you give Dak the best defense in the league and Calvin Johnson I have no doubt in my mind he at least gets as far as Matt Stafford did. Stafford had the greatest receiver of all time...or one of them as his #1 target....literally unguardable.

I just don't think much of Stafford. Even yesterday's game....Dak had 3 Touchdowns for 226 yards and lost to the Cardinals....Stafford had 200 yards and 2 TD's and won......are we sure that the Rams defense didnt' help in shutting down Kyler? I mean they had a pick 6 lol. Pure domination.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Stafford has a $9.5 million base salary in 2021 and a 12 million base salary in 2022 with a $10 million roster bonus. His cap hits are $20 million in 2021 and $23 million in 2022. He doens't have to take a pay cut. He has a long way to hit the highest paid qb in the league.
You are misunderstanding me.....He isn't on a lifetime deal...his contract is up either after this year or the next...and when its up i'm asking you do you think he will still make the same salary that he makes now? Not sure what's so difficult about what i'm asking?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Oh without a doubt. If you give Dak the best defense in the league and Calvin Johnson I have no doubt in my mind he at least gets as far as Matt Stafford did. Stafford had the greatest receiver of all time...or one of them as his #1 target....literally unguardable.

I just don't think much of Stafford. Even yesterday's game....Dak had 3 Touchdowns for 226 yards and lost to the Cardinals....Stafford had 200 yards and 2 TD's and won......are we sure that the Rams defense didnt' help in shutting down Kyler? I mean they had a pick 6 lol. Pure domination.

The 9ers were doing to Dak what the rams did to Kyler through 3 quarters. How much of what Dak did was when his team was down by 3 possessions? Matt opened the game by going for the throat, that tells a much better story than Dak’s 4th quarter too little too late barrage.

Stafford’s numbers were low because he had already buried them by halftime. He attempted 9 second half passes… that’s sophistry and you know it.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The 9ers were doing to Dak what the rams did to Kyler through 3 quarters. How much of what Dak did was when his team was down by 3 possessions? Matt opened the game by going for the throat, that tells a much better story than Dak’s 4th quarter too little too late barrage.
The poster you are trying to get through to doesn't understand football and is unwilling to learn.