Mod Edit:

I got this from X

Where Dak ranks among all time Quarterbacks:

Pass completion percentage: 4th

Adjusted Net Yards per pass attempt: 7th

Pass interception percentage: 9th

Passer rating: 5th

Touchdown/Interception ratio: 6th

Fun fact: in 3 of Dak’s playoff losses the defense allowed 30+ points.

Other Quarterbacks playoff records when their defense allows 30+

Tom Brady: 2-3
Aaron Rodgers: 1-5
Drew Brees: 0-3
Joe Montana: 0-3
Brett Farve: 0-7
Peyton Manning: 2-4
John Elway: 0-6
Ben Roethlisberger: 0-6

“But playoffs” is a stupid argument when analyzing a quarterback’s skill set

Stats are for losers who need to try and justify themselves. Losers have stats; winners have trophies.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
No I didn’t. You asked me which ones did he choke in and I said every game he lost he choked in.

I never blamed Romo for the losses. I just said he choked in them lol. It’s not his fault his team wasn’t good enough I don’t blame him for it.
Umm...no...that's not the definition of choke. Every team except one loses at the end of the year in the playoffs. Neither all of the teams nor the players on them choke.

Choking occurs when a game is on the line and a player either sucks badly and/or plays without confidence and is a primary reason for the loss. Even if a QB throws the ball right in the players hands and the receiver drops it, or the QB is off my a half a foot and the receiver can't catch it, and it costs the team the game, that isn't considered a choke by the QB nor the receiver.

It seems like some people just selectively use the word choke to diminish "the other" player.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Umm...no...that's not the definition of choke. Every team except one loses at the end of the year in the playoffs. Neither all of the teams nor the players on them choke.

Choking occurs when a game is on the line and a player either sucks badly and/or plays without confidence and is a primary reason for the loss. Even if a QB throws the ball right in the players hands and the receiver drops it, or the QB is off my a half a foot and the receiver can't catch it, and it costs the team the game, that isn't considered a choke by the QB nor the receiver.

It seems like some people just selectively use the word choke to diminish "the other" player.
To me a choker is someone who plays below their potential in big games.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think they got a td off of both ints? maybe one was a fg though cant remember.
Only 1 pick 6. Meaning the defense had an opportunity to prevent the TD. You know, like when Mahomes throws an Int in the SB and it results in zero points.

plasticman

Reaction score
From 2016 to 2023, when Dak has been the starting QB, the Dallas Cowboys have 30 Pro Bowls for offensive players alone, ranking them #1 among all other NFL teams. The Eagles and Chiefs are tied for 2nd place with 25 Pro Bowlers on offense. I did not count quarterbacks.

This is not the perfect way to rate the quality of help from his teammates but it does tell us that he was never just hung out to dry. He was given a more than reasonable amount of tools to work with.

There were times when the defense didn't do their part, right? Which one of those guys were getting paid 40 million a year? That's the kind of money that goes to guys that aren't just the "franchise" QB's, they are the NFL seasons difference makers.

Dak's career stats look great in the games nobody will ever remember. The Cowboys have been out of the championship picture for so long that the regular season is considered historically relevant by some fans. They are not.

The regular season is simply a means to an end. They are the "qualifying rounds" for playoff positioning. The playoffs are the true season. Nobody is going to hold fond memories of a team that was 14-3 before losing in the divisional round. Nobody is going to criticize a 10-7 team if they win the Super Bowl.

“But playoffs” is a stupid argument when analyzing a quarterback’s skill set...

It is the only argument that matters.

Which quarterbacks in NFL history are the ones we celebrate? Is it the one that has been awarded 1st team All Pro or is it the one holding the SB trophy at the end of the season?

Is it the one that throws the most TD's in a season or is it the one that threw "that" TD in the 4th quarter of a Super Bowl?

Steve Young was the passing leader in six different seasons. He has one SB ring as the starting quarterback. If he could switch out with Troy Aikman's 3 SB rings, how many here think he would hesitate a nano-second to grab those rings?

Finally, Dak is receiving unfair criticism again. It's as if he is personally responsible for decisions made by someone totally unqualified to do so, an owner that beleives his QB will play just like Aaron Rodgers if you pay him the same way.

Dak should have never been paid that size of a contract, his agent took advantage of Jerry Jones lack of understanding the importance of concepts like competition and leverage.

If Dak had just been asked to do the things he does well, the Cowboys might already have a ring. Instead, this offense is the complete opposite of what it should have been. This was a power running game sprinkled with fortuitous passing opportunities by a careful game manager. We have all seen the stats on the results of games in which Dak has to throw more than 35 times compared to less. It is night and day.

Of course, we are going to see a reproduction of a season where the offense is one-dimensional with the very wrong dimension unless they are gifted a miracle RB that materializes from the weakest group of RB's since the day after they traded Herschel Walker in 1989.

erod

Reaction score
Was the defense worn out after drive 1 against GB? I ask because the GB offense had the following happen in their 7 drives: TD-Punt-TD-TD-TD-TD-TD. I remember this drive order because no team in playoff history has won where their defense gave up a TD on 6 of their first 7 possessions. If they are supposedly worn out by drive 3 then their are far too out of shape to be playing in the NFL.
Fine, so why was Dak unable to score at all? The Packer defense was nothing special.

Highest paid player on the field was the worst player on the field.

Adreme

Reaction score
Fine, so why was Dak unable to score at all? The Packer defense was nothing special.

Highest paid player on the field was the worst player on the field.
There were 0 QBs in the NFL playoffs who did not have an awful half during said playoffs. Multiple of them actually won their games despite their bad half. Purdy made it to the Super Bowl despite having a bad 1st half in both the Divisional round and NFC Championship game because the defense was not historically awful. The Chiefs won the AFC Championship game 17-10 with Mahomes being awful in the 2nd half. Josh Allen was horrible in the first half of both his playoff games. I could keep going very easily. If your standard for good QB is "does not have a bad half in the playoffs" then there were 0 good QBs last year. The reason the teams were able to win and the Cowboys were not was their defenses stepped up when they needed to. There is a reason no team in the history of the NFL playoffs has won a game where their defense gives up 6 TDs in the first 7 drives. It simply is not going to happen.

erod

Reaction score
There were 0 QBs in the NFL playoffs who did not have an awful half during said playoffs. Multiple of them actually won their games despite their bad half. Purdy made it to the Super Bowl despite having a bad 1st half in both the Divisional round and NFC Championship game because the defense was not historically awful. The Chiefs won the AFC Championship game 17-10 with Mahomes being awful in the 2nd half. Josh Allen was horrible in the first half of both his playoff games. I could keep going very easily. If your standard for good QB is "does not have a bad half in the playoffs" then there were 0 good QBs last year. The reason the teams were able to win and the Cowboys were not was their defenses stepped up when they needed to. There is a reason no team in the history of the NFL playoffs has won a game where their defense gives up 6 TDs in the first 7 drives. It simply is not going to happen.
This is 3 in a row with Dak. Stop defending the indefensible. He's horrible in the playoffs.

Adreme

Reaction score
This is 3 in a row with Dak. Stop defending the indefensible. He's horrible in the playoffs.
Again EVERY single QB had a bad half in the playoffs. Using the metric you are using Mahomes is horrible in the playoffs, as is Allen, Lamar, Stroud, Purdy, Hurts, etc. By your own logic every QB in the playoffs this year was horrible. Now that might seem illogical. By your own logic Josh Allen is indefensible. Its interesting you point out the games against the 49ers though because they seem to have a good ability to make great QBs look awful. Case in point they have done it to Rodgers for basically the past 10 years. He can look great until he plays them and then he looks awful. Guessing you would also call top 10 all time QB Aaron Rodgers horrible as well.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Our defense has been the number one problem in the playoffs. We’re not going to have a deep playoff run until we build a championship caliber defense that shows up in the playoffs. You’re not going to win in the playoffs if you can’t stop the run and consistently lose the battle in the trenches, regardless who your QB is.
I agree KJJ and I'm not defending Dak, it's just a fact. In our GB game last year our pass defense was horrible! Our DBs were playing extremely soft coverage in that game, much more so than normal and consequently GB ate our lunch with their passing game. Even the announcer commented that the Cowboys DBs were playing a lot softer coverage than they usually do. Not only that, Dan Quinn allowed it! No adjustments to try and stop it.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
To me a choker is someone who plays below their potential in big games.
Isnt that what @SultanOfSix just said?

When the onus is on Dak he repeatedly appears comes up short. If we trail, even by 7pts he appears to tense up and anxiety takes over.....the GB game was as if he was sucked into a shoot out, that he's not suited to (but the occasion got to him and he saw it as his responsibility to perform)....the problem for him he's got the ghost of two SF games in his recent history where he had the ball on 4/5 drives at the end of the game where he could of won/tied the game and came up short on each occasion.
Im not totally against Dak, but it's going to take something from him (I say length of contract, to help kick down the alley) which allows us to build that defense (which by the way bent, but didnt break in the two SF games), that hopefully allows Dak to recover composure.

The really worrying aspect was that Dak could perform (vrs GB), when they took the foot off the gas......which does kind support the 'garbage time' theory

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Again EVERY single QB had a bad half in the playoffs. Using the metric you are using Mahomes is horrible in the playoffs, as is Allen, Lamar, Stroud, Purdy, Hurts, etc. By your own logic every QB in the playoffs this year was horrible. Now that might seem illogical. By your own logic Josh Allen is indefensible. Its interesting you point out the games against the 49ers though because they seem to have a good ability to make great QBs look awful. Case in point they have done it to Rodgers for basically the past 10 years. He can look great until he plays them and then he looks awful. Guessing you would also call top 10 all time QB Aaron Rodgers horrible as well.
Alternatively, pretty much every SB winning QB has had to orchestrate a 'comeback' in the play-off run.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
You don’t speak the truth. If there was even an ounce of truth in anything you’ve posted about Dak he would have been gone a long time ago.
You somehow say this after 10 years of Jason Garrett, and as if Jerry Jones operates like a real GM. A real GM never gets us into a situation where we are stuck with Dak long term. We would have drafted QBs in the first round instead.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Jerry's the real problem here. Dak's just a symptom of it. Jerry's never going to go out and get a top notch QB...not unless the Cowboys totally collapse. And even then he doesn't know how to build a championship team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Depends how it's done.

Judging QBs by team record is dumb.

Judging QBs by how well they play under pressure against good teams is smart. Judging QBs by what they can deliver in tough situations is smart.

Fun fact: Tony's career QB rating on 4th and 10+ is 158.3. Perfect. GOAT.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00/splits/

Look at the 4th down stats for Tony.
Look at the Game Situation stats, Trailing, 2 minutes to go.
Money time. Money player.

Now do Dak.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RomoTo00/splits/
What a joke. 4th & 10+. How many times do you go for it on 4th & 10+? Plus, what was his rating on 1st, 2nd and 3rd & 10+? Not so good. Even worse. What was Romo's 4th & 1-3 yards needed? A paltry 78 passer rating. That horrible. 4th & 1-3 yards should be money for someone who was as talented as Romo (whom you call the G.O.A.T.).
:facepalm:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I didn’t. You asked me which ones did he choke in and I said every game he lost he choked in.

I never blamed Romo for the losses. I just said he choked in them lol. It’s not his fault his team wasn’t good enough I don’t blame him for it.
Well that's even weirder. Every game the cowboys lost romo isn't to blame but HE choked?

:huh::facepalm::rolleyes:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that was a killer int, they were driving, the boom!! pick 6 !
That is mostly on dak, but MM is calling and designing the plays.

It looked like the gb guy had read this easily, and jumped in front it . He read it better than the wr ! lol. So that is partly on mm.
Kinda helps to have new plays in the playoffs.
That's very concerning! MM calls the play from the sideline, and Dak MUST directly perform the called play regardless of what the defense does?

Multitude of issues there.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Isnt that what @SultanOfSix just said?

When the onus is on Dak he repeatedly appears comes up short. If we trail, even by 7pts he appears to tense up and anxiety takes over.....the GB game was as if he was sucked into a shoot out, that he's not suited to (but the occasion got to him and he saw it as his responsibility to perform)....the problem for him he's got the ghost of two SF games in his recent history where he had the ball on 4/5 drives at the end of the game where he could of won/tied the game and came up short on each occasion.
Im not totally against Dak, but it's going to take something from him (I say length of contract, to help kick down the alley) which allows us to build that defense (which by the way bent, but didnt break in the two SF games), that hopefully allows Dak to recover composure.

The really worrying aspect was that Dak could perform (vrs GB), when they took the foot off the gas......which does kind support the 'garbage time' theory
He did but I think he thought I was excluding Dak. Dak for sure is choking in these last few playoff pushes. No argument there.