How long u been a cowboys fan?

cbont116

Reaction score
since 1985.. tony dorsett, randy white, danny white and the great Tom Landry..:bow:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Since just prior to the 1963 season, I was 5. Heading into my 44th season this year!

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
I've never really taken the time to really consider the exact numbers of days, or years I've been an Eagles fan, but I can tell you it was before we received our present day reputation. I think so many of you have probably hated the Eagles and their fans for so long, that you really don't realize that you haven't known real Eagle fans. I'm not trying to run a "PR" script On any of you and I really expect to be pelted ...but I've got real thick skin.

It's not easy to be an Eagles fan!

I'd have to tell you about a time when I was much younger and immature -- hence, I'd root for the Cowboys to beat it's main riaval at that time ...the Green Bay Packers.

55th and Cedar Avenue–one was one of the toughest areas in South-West Philly. Italian/Puerto-Rican and Afro-American street gangs flourished (e.g., Cedar Ave, Hoop Street, the Moon, Cobbs Creek, Lex and Fairmount, etc to name a few gangs). Inspite of conditions, our neighborhood sports center thrived. Since jobs were scarce, and there were not enough funds for me to go to college, I enlisted in the United States Air Force -- I didn't think it would have an impact on my interest in the game of football; until I was shipped off to Korea in the middle of the Korean Winter.

After six grueling weeks of basic training at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas (still liking the Cowboys; still not an Eagles fan), and another four weeks at the Police Academy, I was ready for the thirty days leave back to West Philly, as an Airman Third Class (one-striper) in the Air Force. Thirty days zoomed by, and before long, I was on a jet plane–final destination ... the Republic of Korea. Upon my arrival at Kunsan Air Base, Korea. Everything except the ground/trees was "green;" including the tents we lived in, the vechicles we rode in, our clothings, our weapons, buildings ...everything was green. Each night after work the new schedule was posted for duties regarding our next duty shift. Though Air Force Policeman maintained a reputation of being hard-core, even the toughest among us feared a machinegun bunker outpost called "Little Cayote." Because, Cayote was located on the extreme perimeter of the base directly facing the Yellow Sea (there were whispers of ghosts out on that lonely remote Location). In the winter months, it was extremely cold. Nothing could stop that cold, wet, wind from entering that bunker and penetrating your bones. Despite the fact that we were more than appropriately dressed, no amount of clothes could prepare you to withstand an eight-hour shift at Little Cayote.

It's then, during complete isolation, that I realized through all of the bitter cold, and my static-radio signals, straining to hear football games that were at least a week old by the time that I listened to them ...that the Philadelphia Eagles was the team that stuck with me through it all.

The Eagles weren't winning back then, and while they have won 3 NFL Championships, they still have yet to win a Vince Lombardi Trophy in the Super Bowl game, but that's never stopped been a big deal for me before.

I'm the real thing ...an Eagles Fan! Not the type of fan (because there are bad fans in every franchise) that hates a particuLar football team/or it's fans, but just a genuine football entusiast that happens to favor the Eagles.

I'm not unique, there are fans just like me in every franchise. I wouldn't change my fandom for a million dollars! ...well, maybe for a million ...but not for one penny less!;)

aceware94

Reaction score
The first time I watched the cowboys was in the 1982 championship game vs. the 49ers. I liked there uniforms and I remember my dad saying that's America's team. Since than I was hooked. 24 years ago. BTW, anyone watch that game on NFL network last night?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
I've never really taken the time to really consider the exact numbers of days, or years I've been an Eagles fan, but I can tell you it was before we received our present day reputation. I think so many of you have probably hated the Eagles and their fans for so long, that you really don't realize that you haven't known real Eagle fans. I'm not trying to run a "PR" script On any of you and I really expect to be pelted ...but I've got real thick skin.

It's not easy to be an Eagles fan!

The Eagles weren't winning back then, and while they have won 3 NFL Championships, they still have yet to win a Vince Lombardi Trophy in the Super Bowl game, but that's never stopped been a big deal for me before.

I'm the real thing ...an Eagles Fan! Not the type of fan (because there are bad fans in every franchise) that hates a particuLar football team/or it's fans, but just a genuine football entusiast that happens to favor the Eagles.

I'm not unique, there are fans just like me in every franchise. I wouldn't change my fandom for a million dollars! ...well, maybe for a million ...but not for one penny less!;)

It is always nice to see REAL football fans who have a team that they are loyal to rather than the lesser souls who bounce from one team to another based on who is hot at the time.

I knew some Eagles fans who lived down the street from me when I was growing up (the dad grew up in Philly) and I remember how upset they were when the Eagles traded Sonny Jurgensen to the Commanders for Norm Snead. They swore they would never watch another Eagles game as long as they lived but as soon as the season started, there they were wearing their ugly green jerseys and yelling at the TV as the Eagles lost yet another game.

They didn't win much after their last championship in 1960 but they had some great players. I used to love to watch Timmy Brown return kicks, the guy was so exciting. They also drafted the "craziest man alive" out of USC, DE/LB Tim Rossovich. The guy used to light himself on fire and do all kinds of bizarre stuff. He was always good for a story back then (more in college than in the pros though).

The only Eagles player I really hated back in the day was LB Bill Bergey. When he played for the Bengals in the early 70s I liked him but when he came to Philly in 74 I grew to really hate that guy.

I didn't have much dislike for the Eagles until 1980 when they beat us in the NFC Championship game. Prior to that they were not much of a threat to us even when they would occasionally beat us because we dominated the division from 1966 on and the Eagles were usually fighting with the Cards for last place.

In the 80s the Eagles took a big step up on my list of hated teams and they really jumped up when Buddy Ryan took over. Since then the rivalry has been very heated and they are right up there with the Commanders now on my hate-o-meter.

I almost always enjoy your posts because you are a football fan.

Cheers

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
BadKarma said:
35 years...grew up watching Bob Lilly, Bob Bruenig, Billy Joe Dupree, Preston Pearson, Drew Pearson, Duane Thomas, Thomas Henderson, Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, Randy White, Ed Jones, and Harvey Martin.

What a great era to be a Cowboys fan.

same # here, I started thanksgiving 1971

Doomsday101

Reaction score
41 years. Started watching the Cowboys in 65 and have been through all the ups and downs.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Proudly sharing my own unique brand of negativity since '78.
:hammer: :D

It's in my blue and silver blood... so I was born that way...

My earliest recollections are from 1966...

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin Since 1963. About 9 or 10 then.:starspin :starspin :starspin :starspin

DA FAN

Reaction score
Calicowboy said:
SB XII was my first...hehe! Been hooked since, and still going strong!

I’ve been a Dallas Cowboys Fan all of my life, but I became a TRUE BLUE DIEHARD FAN during their 1977 season and their run for the Super Bowl XII championship. I remember, as a kid, sitting in front of the TV every Sunday and watching the games with my Dad. I never missed watching a single game and even passed on deer hunting with my brother and his friends, which was a big deal

cwbyfan72

Reaction score
Grew up as a kid in the 70's. House was full of skins fans. I would say a fan since 1978, my earliest recollection of really loving the Cowboys.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
I was an Air Force brat. My mom is from Dallas though. Even though we lived in Australia when I was little my mom would bring me to the military facility and show me whatever football games they had there for the few Americans. When we left OZ in 1978, we arrived in Dallas just in time for the Super Bowl against the Broncos. My mom told me that THIS was the team she had been telling me about. I watched the Broncos get beat by my momma's team that day in a house full of Texans in Dallas. Made quite an impression on a 7 year-old mind. They have been my team ever since.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Since 01/16/1972 Super Bowl VI!:starspin First Football game I ever watched!

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
THUMPER said:
In the 80s the Eagles took a big step up on my list of hated teams and they really jumped up when Buddy Ryan took over.

I have to admit ...Buddy Ryan set the Eagles image back a few hundred years ...he may Very well have been the exception to the fool.:rolleyes:

Actuallyl, I grew up going to baseball games ...in fact, I can still watch a good baseball game or two ...if no football games are being played.

juck

Reaction score
I was born and my folks found "the mark"on my head.a star.lol.actually in january of 1978 i just turned 5 and i watched the steelers play the boys in SB,I live in Pittsburgh and my folks were having a SB party,and i remember cheering for the boys,I just loved them.and thats that.;)