How long until Belichick is considered the greatest ever?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
rkell87;4374430 said:
1. i don't know what could be arrogant about it

2.i didn't say anything about arrogance

3. i'm not sure you know the meaning of arrogant if you think what i said is

:rolleyes:

no one trolls you R2A, you invite criticism with open arms by continually showing your lack of knowledge of this game and the legacy of people that participated in shaping it before you started watching.

but truthfully the only thing that separates you from the rest of the masses is that you keep spouting off to people that know more than you and don't know when to stop. you talking about the cheater as GOAT is no different than guys from my generation saying b sanders or e smith is the GOAT without being able to talk about sayers brown payton dickerson. you can't even tell us why he is better than those before him or tell us why we should overlook cheating and why he hasn't won in the playoffs since he stopped.
His team is 13-3, he has lost HoF players and coached up no namers to replace him in a matter of weeks. What does he have to do to prove he is not just a "Cheater". If you decide to put all the credit on Tom Bradys' greatness than you HAVE to proclaim him the greatest QB of all time because he has had 1 elite WR in his career, and after losing him he didn't lose a step. You could also look at this; Brady was out and the team barely declined with Matt Cassel at QB.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4374791 said:
ALways forget about him.

Thank you.

lol.

Oh come on.

There are certainly people that this happens to, without question, but you've more than earned the grief you take because you've said plenty of incredibly ignorant and silly things since you arrived that have earned you that grief.

Some people around here like dboy seem to get trolled for just being angry about everything but you get the grief you've gotten because you say things like Miles Austin is the greatest WR of all time, even better than Jerry Rice, after a handful of games in 2009. And that's just one of a ton of posts with things like that.

Miles' is exceptionally physically gifted and a much smarter individual than a majority of the other upper-tier WR's in the league. When healthy he has proven to be a top 5 WR in the league. I have made arrogant statements time and time again that were contradictory to the status qou and more often than not they have been accurate rather than these ridiculous statements that people on the forums proclaim them to be.

rkell87

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4374886 said:
His team is 13-3, he has lost HoF players and coached up no namers to replace him in a matter of weeks. What does he have to do to prove he is not just a "Cheater". If you decide to put all the credit on Tom Bradys' greatness than you HAVE to proclaim him the greatest QB of all time because he has had 1 elite WR in his career, and after losing him he didn't lose a step. You could also look at this; Brady was out and the team barely declined with Matt Cassel at QB.
i credit him cheating, he can do nothing to prove he is not a cheater. i believe the fact that the team barely took a dip with brady out is a reason brady isn't the goat.

regardless of any of that this is your thread and the onus is on you to defend your claim that the cheater is goat, but instead of that you ended your OP saying anyone who doesn't agree with you is ignorant.

you have yet to compare what the cheater has done to what those before him have done or address the points others in the thread have made contrary to your statement and have yet to make a strong argument against them.
Romo 2 Austin;4374888 said:
Miles' is exceptionally physically gifted and a much smarter individual than a majority of the other upper-tier WR's in the league. When healthy he has proven to be a top 5 WR in the league. I have made arrogant statements time and time again that were contradictory to the status qou and more often than not they have been accurate rather than these ridiculous statements that people on the forums proclaim them to be.
name two

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Illini88228;4372778 said:
I always think trying to come up with absolute rankings is a little silly. He's a top tier head coach, but to try to definitively rank Belichick vs. Lombardi vs. Landry vs. Shula vs. Parcells vs. Brown etc. is pointless. They coached at different times with different players under different circumstances. Any ranking is totally subjective.

Parcells did a heck of a job winning a SB with Jeff Hostetler after Simms went down. Speaking of Parcells this must be his long lost sister.

http://i465.***BLOCKED***/albums/rr16/KJJ100/208703759.jpg

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
If the Pats lose this weekend I don't think he should ever be in the GOAT discussion.

IF he is the genius that everyone thinks he is then Tebow should be shutdown tomorrow night

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4372607 said:
Now I know many of you will go crazy praising Landry but Belichick's accomplishments are becoming undeniable, he he continually built good teams for over a decade now. He has replaced great players time and time again with ease with the prowess in the draft room. He has shown on the field that he is unparalleled and he has shown that he can replace a key player, no matter who they are, without trouble.

I truly believe that it is just a matter of a few years until he is unanimously viewed as the greatest coach of all time. So when does he officially become the greatest coach of all time in the minds of fans? or if he even will. He's already top 3 and if you try to deny that you really are just being ignorant.

You do know he hasn't won a playoff game in like 5 years right?
Dallas has won one since.
And he does have Brady.

His 3 SBs, 15 playoff wins(across 26 years as head coach) and 64% win percentage are strong. But best ever? Nope!

If he wins a couple more SBs he'll challenge that title but until then he is just considered amongst the elite coaches.

His coaching tree hasn't spawned much other than Saban who was terrible in the pros but has Alabama rolling. Mangini, McDaniels, Weis... not much yet.

Landry has 19 consecutive winning seasons and 20 playoff wins with 2 SB titles.

yimyammer

Reaction score
Sarge;4374511 said:
Take [strike]Brady[/strike] Ernie Adams out of the equation and his name [strike]wouldn't[/strike] may not even be on your radar.

fixed your post

I find it remarkable that people want to dismiss this guy as nothing but a lucky cheater who landed Brady or he would have never had success. He's been instrumental in 5 Super Bowl wins with two different teams, been to 6 Super Bowls as a coach, almost went 19-0, went 11-5 without Brady, etc, etc, etc.

I'd be doing backflips to have that kind of long term success and consistency with the Cowboys again

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Sarge;4374511 said:
Take Brady out of the equation and his name wouldn't even be on your radar.

Belichick was just another coach with a losing record before Brady became his QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4376167 said:
You need great players to win.

Every HC is a product of their players especially their QB. Landry would have never won a championship without Staubach.

nathanlt

Reaction score
KJJ;4376171 said:
Every HC is a product of their players especially their QB. Landry would have never won a championship without Staubach.

Don't distract from the main issue here. Landry wasn't warned by the league that he was in violation of league rules, and didn't subsequently defy the warning.

Landry was a great coach, and Belicheck (because of his cheating) will never be a great coach due to his lack of character.

End of discussion.

yimyammer

Reaction score
KJJ;4376161 said:
Belichick was just another coach with a losing record before Brady became his QB.

He was instrumental in the success of the Giants. Some like to say that Parcells never won without him, whether that's valid, I don't know.

I also read that in Cleveland he had an owner that could be considered worse than Jerry and hamstrung what he was trying to do. The fans torched him because he got rid of Bernie Kosar but had he stayed and implemented his plan, he might have been successful, but he retired when they moved to Baltimore. The franchise was really chaotic while he was HC.

Just realized I forgot to add the Super Bowl the Patriots went to when they lost to GB and he was DC under Parcells, so Belichik has been to 7 Super Bowls in some coaching capacity.

Regardless of whether he's the best, I don't see how anyone can dismiss him as simply being lucky or a cheater. I think his style really thrives under the salary cap era because he and Ernie think outside the box, emphasize the team and situational football and gather lots of draft picks annually to increase their odds of landing players.

nathanlt

Reaction score
yimyammer;4376189 said:
He was instrumental in the success of the Giants. Some like to say that Parcells never won without him, whether that's valid, I don't know.

I also read that in Cleveland he had an owner that could be considered worse than Jerry and hamstrung what he was trying to do. The fans torched him because he got rid of Bernie Kosar but had he stayed and implemented his plan, he might have been successful, but he retired when they moved to Baltimore. The franchise was really chaotic while he was HC.

Just realized I forgot to add the Super Bowl the Patriots went to when they lost to GB and he was DC under Parcells, so Belichik has been to 7 Super Bowls in some coaching capacity.

Regardless of whether he's the best, I don't see how anyone can dismiss him as simply being lucky or a cheater. I think his style really thrives under the salary cap era because he and Ernie think outside the box, emphasize the team and situational football and gather lots of draft picks annually to increase their odds of landing players.

It is only speculation to imagine what his coaching style would have brought without cheating. Cheating taints his whole character, and no one achieves the definition of greatness without good character.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
nathanlt;4376188 said:
Don't distract from the main issue here. Landry wasn't warned by the league that he was in violation of league rules, and didn't subsequently defy the warning.

Landry was a great coach, and Belicheck (because of his cheating) will never be a great coach due to his lack of character.

End of discussion.

I'm just pointing out that Landry never won a championship prior to Staubach or after Staubach. No question Tom Landry was a great coach even before Staubach arrived he built the Cowboys from an expansion team to a team that was competing with the mighty Packers.

Landry led the Cowboys to championship games and a SB prior to Staubach and 3 straight NFC title games after Staubach but his teams could never win it all before Staubach or after Staubach.

Coaches only have so much control it's their players especially their QB who ultimately win and lose games. Most every great HC with the exception of Parcells and Joe Gibbs were tied to a great HOF fame QB.

yimyammer

Reaction score
nathanlt;4376209 said:
It is only speculation to imagine what his coaching style would have brought without cheating. Cheating taints his whole character, and no one achieves the definition of greatness without good character.

To each his own...I think he's a great coach and believe the cheating thing is overblown.

No biggie that we don't agree, you're certainly entitled to your opinion

nathanlt

Reaction score
KJJ;4376212 said:
I'm just pointing out that Landry never won a championship prior to Staubach or after Staubach. No question Tom Landry was a great coach even before Staubach arrived he built the Cowboys from an expansion team to a team that was competing with the mighty Packers.

Landry led the Cowboys to championship games and a SB prior to Staubach and 3 straight NFC title games after Staubach but his teams could never win it all before Staubach or after Staubach.

Coaches only have so much control it's their players especially their QB who ultimately win and lose games. Most every great HC with the exception of Parcells and Joe Gibbs were tied to a great HOF fame QB.

I'll agree with you that having the right talent is a contributing factor to achieving success. This is especially important in a team sport. Many pieces have to be in place for individuals on a TEAM to be considered "great" (Only exception I can think of: Barry Sanders)

Clarkson

Wonderboyromo
Reaction score
rkell87;4372750 said:
no surprise the youngest posters here are in agreement

and lol at R2A calling anyone ignorant

because the best of all time HAS to be an old-time coach, right?

lawl

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4376167 said:
You need great players to win.

But he got TOO MUCH CREDIT by being called a genius early in the decade. i knew he wasn't a genius when he couldn't figure out how to stop the goofy QB's below in that same season

A.J Feeley
Eli Manning

nathanlt

Reaction score
yimyammer;4376216 said:
To each his own...I think he's a great coach and believe the cheating thing is overblown.

No biggie that we don't agree, you're certainly entitled to your opinion

So you believe he cheated, but don't consider that as affecting his greatness in any way?

No asterisk for him?