How long until Belichick is considered the greatest ever?

Reaction score
CowboysFanSince88;4376224 said:
But he got TOO MUCH CREDIT by being called a genius early in the decade. i knew he wasn't a genius when he couldn't figure out how to stop the goofy QB's below in that same season

A.J Feeley
Eli Manning

No one else could figure out Eli either including us.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4376232 said:
No one else could figure out Eli either including us.

And since he couldn't figure out a way to stop Eli Gump I don't look at him the same anymore. His legacy has been kind of STAINED anyway due to the fact that the Pats are 0-3 in the playoffs since that SB loss.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yimyammer;4376189 said:
He was instrumental in the success of the Giants. Some like to say that Parcells never won without him, whether that's valid, I don't know.

I also read that in Cleveland he had an owner that could be considered worse than Jerry and hamstrung what he was trying to do. The fans torched him because he got rid of Bernie Kosar but had he stayed and implemented his plan, he might have been successful, but he retired when they moved to Baltimore. The franchise was really chaotic while he was HC.

Just realized I forgot to add the Super Bowl the Patriots went to when they lost to GB and he was DC under Parcells, so Belichik has been to 7 Super Bowls in some coaching capacity.

Regardless of whether he's the best, I don't see how anyone can dismiss him as simply being lucky or a cheater. I think his style really thrives under the salary cap era because he and Ernie think outside the box, emphasize the team and situational football and gather lots of draft picks annually to increase their odds of landing players.

Belichick was instrumental with the Giants as a coordinator not a HC. The talk of Parcells never winning without him never really began until Belichick started winning SB's. The fact is Belichick had a losing record as the HC in Cleveland. His Browns teams only had one winning season and he only won ONE playoff game during his tenure there.

In Belichicks first season in NE he was 5-11 with Bledsoe as his QB. He was 0-2 the following season with Bledsoe and it all changed like magic when Bledsoe got hurt and Brady came in....PRESTO! Belichick has looked like a genius ever since now some are ranking him ahead of Vince Lombardi. Let's be real Belichick was going down the same exact road in NE that he did in Cleveland until Brady took over.

Had Brady never come along Belichick would have probably ended up being fired and would have been back as a coordinator somewhere. Tom Brady made Belichick what he is. A lot of coaches look good when they have a great QB look at Jim Caldwell with Peyton Manning and without him.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
KJJ;4376256 said:
Belichick was instrumental with the Giants as a coordinator not a HC. The talk of Parcells never winning without him never really began until Belichick started winning SB's. The fact is Belichick had a losing record as the HC in Cleveland. His Browns teams only had one winning season and he only won ONE playoff game during his tenure there.

In Belichicks first season in NE he was 5-11 with Bledsoe as his QB. He was 0-2 the following season with Bledsoe and it all changed like magic when Bledsoe got hurt and Brady came in....PRESTO! Belichick has looked like a genius ever since now some are ranking him ahead of Vince Lombardi. Let's be real Belichick was going down the same exact road in NE that he did in Cleveland until Brady took over.

Had Brady never come along Belichick would have probably ended up being fired and would have been back as a coordinator somewhere. Tom Brady made Belichick what he is. A lot of coaches look good when they have a great QB look at Jim Caldwell with Peyton Manning and without him.

I have to disagree, caldwell still looks like a fool. No one is giving caldwell praise and if they did what channel was it on?-lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
nathanlt;4376219 said:
I'll agree with you that having the right talent is a contributing factor to achieving success. This is especially important in a team sport. Many pieces have to be in place for individuals on a TEAM to be considered "great" (Only exception I can think of: Barry Sanders)

It all starts with the talent especially at QB for a HC. A great QB makes everyone better around them just look at how Tebow has been able to elevate the players around him. When a team believes in their QB it raises their level of play. Bill Walsh didn't start winning until Joe Montana became his QB. George Seifert was an excellent coach with Montana and Steve Young but found himself without a job once they moved on.

It's important to have a solid HC but they have to have talented players especially at the QB position to be successful. This is why a lot of coaches don't want to go to a team without a solid QB because they know their future is tied to that QB.

yimyammer

Reaction score
KJJ;4376256 said:

No doubt Brady had a huge effect. I still think Belichick and Ernie bring a lot to the table and I like their out of the box thinking. I think Belichick is a great coach`and I would love to have had him here instead of him being at NE.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
KJJ;4376275 said:
It all starts with the talent especially at QB for a HC. A great QB makes everyone better around them just look at how Tebow has been able to elevate the players around him. When a team believes in their QB it raises their level of play. Bill Walsh didn't start winning until Joe Montana became his QB. George Seifert was an excellent coach with Montana and Steve Young but found himself without a job once they moved on.

It's important to have a solid HC but they have to have talented players especially at the QB position to be successful. This is why a lot of coaches don't want to go to a team without a solid QB because they know their future is tied to that QB.

Is that why Jeff Fisher went to the Rams?? To be connected to Bradford???-lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
CowboysFanSince88;4376258 said:
I have to disagree, caldwell still looks like a fool. No one is giving caldwell praise and if they did what channel was it on?-lol

He looks like a fool now without Manning as his QB. He didn't look like a fool back in 09 when the Colts were 14-2 and heading to the SB. Caldwell is 4-2 in the playoffs riding Peyton Manning and 2-14 without him. Any HC can win when they have a great QB except Wade who couldn't win a playoff game with John Elway as his QB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
CowboysFanSince88;4376285 said:
Is that why Jeff Fisher went to the Rams?? To be connected to Bradford???-lol

Who would you rather be connected to Bradford who's young and has potential or the QB situation in Miami? :cool:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yimyammer;4376281 said:
No doubt Brady had a huge effect. I still think Belichick and Ernie bring a lot to the table and I like their out of the box thinking. I think Belichick is a great coach`and I would love to have had him here instead of him being at NE.

Who wouldn't want Belichick over Garrett?

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
KJJ;4376290 said:
Who would you rather be connected to Bradford who's young and has potential or the QB situation in Miami? :cool:

Wherever he went he was going to draft a QB because both teams have bad starting QB's

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4376313 said:
Bradford is a very good QB he just has no weapons to work with.

I don't want to hear nothing about weapons. You work with what you have and i seen many QB's succeed without star receivers

Reaction score
CowboysFanSince88;4376317 said:
I don't want to hear nothing about weapons. You work with what you have and i seen many QB's succeed without star receivers

You don't need stars, but you need at least a couple of above average wideouts. He doesn't have any.

yimyammer

Reaction score
KJJ;4376292 said:
Who wouldn't want Belichick over Garrett?

Who knows, the implications in this thread sound like many feel he is nothing more than a lucky, cheating schmuck

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
CowboysFanSince88;4376297 said:
Wherever he went he was going to draft a QB because both teams have bad starting QB's

So you've already come to the conclusion that Bradford is a bad QB? I would be very surprised to see Fisher give up on Bradford who he's never even worked with and was the top overall pick in the draft just 2 years ago and use the Rams #2 overall pick on a QB to replace him. The Rams have a lot of needs and have a lot invested in Bradford so I can't see them giving up on him after only 2 seasons especially considering he showed potential his rookie year passing for just over 3500 yards and 18 TD's.

He had an injury plagued 2011 season missing 6 games and wasn't healthy in several other games he played in. The Rams have a young QB who has potential and the Dolphins don't plus they're picking 8th or 9th in the draft. Luck and RG3 will long be gone by the time they're on the clock.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
yimyammer;4376328 said:
Who knows, the implications in this thread sound like many feel he is nothing more than a lucky, cheating schmuck

Belichick was lucky but most coaches who end up with a real special QB did so because of luck.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
nathanlt;4376352 said:
I'd be happy to be first on that list!

You may be the first and last on that list. I can assure you not many here especially after what we saw this past season wouldn't take Belichick over Garrett.

Reaction score
KJJ;4376371 said:
You may be the first and last on that list. I can assure you not many here especially after what we saw this past season wouldn't take Belichick over Garrett.

You gotta be on crack to take Garrett over Bill.