I do not get the resistance to OBJ

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The concern?

1. The way to the Super Bowl is through the ground game not Fed Ex air mail. OBJ doesn't improve our running game.

2. We don't want Dak pressing to get OBJ the ball. And many of us fear that he will force the ball to OBJ, resulting in interceptions.

3. OBJ hasn't played in almost a year. He'll be rusty when he returns. And he has to learn our playbook. That means likely running wrong routes.

4. It usually takes a training camp to get on sync with the quarterback. Have you seen the Cowboys receivers recently? Running the wrong routes? Not crossing the face of the safeties? And we want to insert OBJ into the starting lineup without him having established a rapport with Dak?

5. He's coming of ACL surgery TWICE on the same knee.

6. He wants a long-term contract, but he's 30 years old. We need to be investing in youth not in aging receivers who want expensive contracts.

7. He's really a quarter-season rental then we're moving on. I just don't see the purpose of signing him now if he's not a long-term investment.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think what most people are concerned about is the price on a luxury player with 2 major surgeries in a row when we have our own players to sign.

Personally I am good getting him or not.

Overpaying a bit for him *this* year seems ok, but reportedly he wants a multiyear contract. For an older WR coming off a repeat surgery? That's potentially throwing a lot of money away.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think what most people are concerned about is the price on a luxury player with 2 major surgeries in a row when we have our own players to sign.

Personally I am good getting him or not.

This is exactly the issue.

He has the potential to really make you regret the signing, especially at a higher-priced, long-term deal.

It's also possible he could be a great addition. But I think the recovery rate for athletes to return after a 2nd surgery is 50 percent, whereas you're 70 percent likely to be able to return after the first one...

So, it's a coin toss. Although it could be very unlikely he'd return at full speed this year, in time for it to matter.

People just hear OBJ, and forget he's torn the same ACL twice.

jay94

Reaction score
He gets separation, while Gallup had a great day, one no separation and 2 it was vs a battered secondary.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Its not my $, and if he can help us in Dec and the playoffs great. I just don't know if its realistic to expect him to be worth a damn this year or not. Gallup had the same surgery and look how long its taken him to get back to playing like himself. OBJ still isn't playing yet, and its his 2nd surgery on that same knee. Theres only 6 games left before the playoffs now. I just don't see the sense of getting rid of Cooper because of his big contract, not acquiring Cooks because of his, just to give the same money to a guy who is a huge question mark.

You're forgetting one thing.

Gallup came back a month early. He was schedule to be back in the beginning of November. Or that's when most players would have came back, which is about a year out from when he played.

The biggest difference, though, is that Gallup has only had one torn ACL.. and OBJ has torn the same one twice, which significantly lowers his chances of recovery, scientifically speaking.

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't really know that much about him, I don't know about any off field issues or negative statements about his personality and how he relates to other players. Has he ever complained about not getting the ball enough when the team is winning a lot?

I'm worried about any negative effect it may have on other Cowboys players who are producing. Will his participation cannibalize the productivity of others? What effect will his contract have on the ability to retain the free agents we want to keep?

It seems to me that the Cowboys receivers are ramping it up as a unit and I would hate to spoil that.

Will he be a distraction to the other players?

Again, when things are going really good, I don't like changing to something different from really good.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Dude had 288 yards in the playoffs last January and was on his way to Super Bowl mvp until he got hurt. Those are facts. That is elite production,

What is this “distraction narrative”? He was great with the Rams and they wanted him back.

if he passes the physical, it is a win.

I mean those are facts but that he blew up his knee in the super bowl and hasn't played a game since are also facts.

ESisback

Reaction score
If OBJ joined the Cowboys, the media would dredge up the past behaviors:
1)Beating up kicking nets.
2)Endzone dog lifting leg crap.
3)Hookers and blow video.
4)Posse on vacation pic.

DanA

Reaction score
He's a 4.4 forty guy that runs a 6.6 three-cone. That's a point of difference in this relatively one-paced group of receivers (Turpin aside).

jrumann59

Reaction score
1) He was good with the Giants and Eli.

2) Baker was clearly the issue in Cleveland.

3) With the Rams, stafford and him were a TD combo. He was on his way to the Super Bowl MVP (just end of last season) until he hurt his kneee and then Cooper Kupp stepped up.

4) Amari came here with no training camp and Dak and him lit it up. Simply put, Dak can produce with a new wr quickly.

If he passes the physical, enjoy!
Because it took what Gallup 6 weeks to round into form from a similar surgery. This is a second surgery on the exact same ligament, I think they call it a revision when its the second time on the same ligament. The Irony is he is the exact thing everyone here complained Dez was.

T-RO

Reaction score
The concern?

1. The way to the Super Bowl is through the ground game not Fed Ex air mail. OBJ doesn't improve our running game.

2. We don't want Dak pressing to get OBJ the ball. And many of us fear that he will force the ball to OBJ, resulting in interceptions.

3. OBJ hasn't played in almost a year. He'll be rusty when he returns. And he has to learn our playbook. That means likely running wrong routes.

4. It usually takes a training camp to get on sync with the quarterback. Have you seen the Cowboys receivers recently? Running the wrong routes? Not crossing the face of the safeties? And we want to insert OBJ into the starting lineup without him having established a rapport with Dak?

5. He's coming of ACL surgery TWICE on the same knee.

6. He wants a long-term contract, but he's 30 years old. We need to be investing in youth not in aging receivers who want expensive contracts.

7. He's really a quarter-season rental then we're moving on. I just don't see the purpose of signing him now if he's not a long-term investment.

This plus two or three other notable items. Other than that, no worries.

BayAreaCowboy

Reaction score
Dude had 288 yards in the playoffs last January and was on his way to Super Bowl mvp until he got hurt. Those are facts. That is elite production,

What is this “distraction narrative”? He was great with the Rams and they wanted him back.

if he passes the physical, it is a win.
He played well for a group of games and had 2 catches right before half time for 1 TD but he wasn’t on his way to an MVP. If he kept on he was on pace for 4 catches. But he tore an ACL in Feb and won’t be full go until maybe January. He can probably play now but WR ain’t our issue especially when Washington should be back.

offlimits

Reaction score
Overpaying a bit for him *this* year seems ok, but reportedly he wants a multiyear contract. For an older WR coming off a repeat surgery? That's potentially throwing a lot of money away.

He will not sign a 1-year deal. His agent wants a 3-year deal because this could be the last contract he signs. Also, remember Texas does NOT have a state income tax and that should make Dallas the favorite by far. If he and his agent can come to an agreement with the club then I think it's a no-brainer... he'll sign with Dallas. Worry about next year... next year. It's a win-now league.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
1) He was good with the Giants and Eli.

2) Baker was clearly the issue in Cleveland.

3) With the Rams, stafford and him were a TD combo. He was on his way to the Super Bowl MVP (just end of last season) until he hurt his kneee and then Cooper Kupp stepped up.

4) Amari came here with no training camp and Dak and him lit it up. Simply put, Dak can produce with a new wr quickly.

If he passes the physical, enjoy!

If he was so good with the Giants why did they trade the diva who pretended to pee on a fire hydrant after a TD?

Mayfield wasn't the issue but rather OBJ thereby causing his own release from the team.

With the Rams he had 5 TD's...yet that makes him and Stafford a TD combo? Cooper Cupp had almost 2,000 yards the year before OBJ got there so he was stepping up already.

Amari Cooper was an established WR when he came to Dallas and it took him 4 games before crossing the 100 yard marker so it did take time to gel with Dak.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We are missing two important things right now. A FAT run stuffing DT and "take the top off speed" wide receiver. We have to have speed, other than Pollard to compete with the Eagles. Jerry needs to do the right thing, no matter the cost, because if we only get one ring from it, it's worth it.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Do we even know if he's able to practice yet? Maybe I've missed it, but I have not seen a single video clip of they guy doing anything football related. You would think there would be video of they guy working out by now floating around.