I don't think we are getting squat for Tony

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Seems crazy, but then again, how the heck have the Fitzpatricks, McCowns, Cassels, Sanchez', Hoyers, Weedens, etc. remained in the league? Because there aren't that many great QBs in the league to go around and they rarely, RARELY become available. For less money than a Mike Glennon, a team can get a cheap rental in Romo with zero guaranteed money involved. If his back explodes week 6 in 2017...that sucks...but you can release him and not have anything tied up for 2018 or 2019..

They don't cost much and no one is giving up picks to get them. Right now teams have to be concerned how many games can Romo play? If Dallas did not have Dak I'm sure many here would be concerned about Romo ability to remain in the lineup. I don't say this out of some hate for the guy I am and have been a big Romo fan but just as it happened with Aikman you start seeing that the end of the line is coming. Thankfully in this case the Cowboys do have a QB to rely on unlike when Troy left. For me it is not a matter can Romo play, I think he can but my concerns are can he play a majority of the season? can he be healthy late in the season? I have no doubt teams who may be interested have those same concerns, yes they will bring him in if it is not costing them much in terms of draft picks or players but no one is going to take a big risk on Romo

dfense

Reaction score
I bet either Texans or Broncos offer a 5th or 6th rounder just to leapfrog the other at the last minute.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
They don't cost much and no one is giving up picks to get them. Right now teams have to be concerned how many games can Romo play? If Dallas did not have Dak I'm sure many here would be concerned about Romo ability to remain in the lineup. I don't say this out of some hate for the guy I am and have been a big Romo fan but just as it happened with Aikman you start seeing that the end of the line is coming. Thankfully in this case the Cowboys do have a QB to rely on unlike when Troy left. For me it is not a matter can Romo play, I think he can but my concerns are can he play a majority of the season? can he be healthy late in the season? I have no doubt teams who may be interested have those same concerns, yes they will bring him in if it is not costing them much in terms of draft picks or players but no one is going to take a big risk on Romo
I don't understand the Romo is fragile belief. He has been misforunate for sure, but the broken clavicle and the compressed disc would have but any player out. He was lift up and driven into the turf when he broke is shoulder. He was in the middle of a slide when a player jump on his back, those are legitimate injuries. Romo is tough as nails and his injury prone label is as faulty as his not clutch label.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I don't understand the Romo is fragile belief. He has been misforunate for sure, but the broken clavicle and the compressed disc would have but any player out. He was lift up and driven into the turf when he broke is shoulder. He was in the middle of a slide when a player jump on his back, those are legitimate injuries. Romo is tough as nails and his injury prone label is as faulty as his not clutch label.

Other than the fact that he missed the end of the 2013 season with injury, had multiple back injuries in 2014 that forced him to be shot up with painkillers before every game and miss every Wed practice, that he broke his clavicle in 2015 and missed almost the entire season, and hurt his back again (3rd different injury since 2013) in 2016 and ended up missing half the season... yeah hard to figure out why he is considered fragile.

I'm not a big believer, anymore, on the 'Wow, look at all this freak injuries Romo has had" theory.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why are we just delaying the inevitable? Why wait until June 1 when the entire league knows we are just going to end up releasing?
probably not. but its a game of chicken. we don't have to release until after June 1. even that, we don't have to release him until the day before season starts. the plan all along was to have him a june 1st cut to split the dead money to two years as opposed to one year. so we are in good shape in terms of keeping him. let Houston and Denver play the waiting game and the longer he is not with them, the further behind it puts them.

we have nothing to lose at this point. and even if we get a 7th round pick...its still a pick :)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Tony is gonna or should retire. Leave the game on your own terms.

I don't see how it would be "his terms". Forced to retire like Bledsoe because of backup.

I think that's possible. If Denver or Houston is on the clock and there is someone we want, then it's possible we could put together a package including Romo to use to trade picks. I wouldn't rule out any possibilities at least until after the draft.

I take it back. This is another smart move.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
It is a fantasy of mine, that wherever Romo goes, he wins it all. Get's his Super Bowl.

Not for Romo necessarily...but for Jerry Jones. His ego needs it. So he knows, the last 30 years of his life were an utter failure.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Squat is what he's worth at this point. He's a total gamble for any team.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
If Dallas faces a Romo led team in the SuperBowl. Romo lovers will cheer for the Romo led team.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Not trying to label him but he is 37 he has been dealing with back injuries. He can't put in full week of practice and it is not going to get better. I agree Romo is tough but no one out runs age it catches up. Can he play? Yes I think he can but I have major doubts about taking too many hits

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Who cares about what happens to other franchise QBs. You should only care about the Cowboys franchise QB and want him to have the best backup possible. That is TR. You don't know anymore than anyone else does about Romo's future at this point.

who says Romo wants to be backup? Dallas is not going to pay that kind of money for a backup. I get people love Romo so do I but people are not being realistic.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
who says Romo wants to be backup? Dallas is not going to pay that kind of money for a backup. I get people love Romo so do I but people are not being realistic.
Romo's options at this point are retire or be the Cowboys backup. If the Cowboys are not going to pay that kind of money for a backup then why does the current budget under the cap include Romo's slotted pay according to his current contract structure?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Romo's options at this point are retire or be the Cowboys backup. If the Cowboys are not going to pay that kind of money for a backup then why does the current budget under the cap include Romo's slotted pay according to his current contract structure?

He seems to disagree. If released he will have some teams interested in getting him but no one is giving up top picks and big money for Romo. Dallas will not screw Romo over and the money we save over the next 3 years of not having his contracts on the books is much more than 5 mill people are claiming.

As for the current it does not matter Cowboys could wait until june 1st for a larger saving off his contract.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
There's only like 2 teams that would be in play for him. The broncos and texans. If the texans want to throw away another season let them do it. At the same time keeping romo for a backup this year really wont matter with the defense. Whatever happens happens.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
He seems to disagree. If released he will have some teams interested in getting him but no one is giving up top picks and big money for Romo. Dallas will not screw Romo over and the money we save over the next 3 years of not having his contracts on the books is much more than 5 mill people are claiming.

As for the current it does not matter Cowboys could wait until june 1st for a larger saving off his contract.
If you are standing in Romo's shoes, the Cowboys are already screwing him by not already releasing him with a post 1 Jun release designation. The Cowboys will hold up there part of his contract and they will expect Romo to hold up his end... even if that is as the backup QB.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If you are standing in Romo's shoes, the Cowboys are already screwing him by not already releasing him with a post 1 Jun release designation. The Cowboys will hold up there part of his contract and they will expect Romo to hold up his end... even if that is as the backup QB.

Cowboys are looking to move Romo, they can't force anyone to pony up. Cowboys will do what is best for them and for Romo. The notion that some of you have that Tony is staying and being a backup is frankly a joke it is not going to happen. From Cowboys stand point that is poor business move when talking 3 years left on the deal or are the pay out for a total of 54 mill. over the next 3 years? No team in their right mind is paying a back up 54 mill over the next 3 years. I think it is very likely at next weeks owners meeting we will see a move on Romo.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboys are looking to move Romo, they can't force anyone to pony up. Cowboys will do what is best for them and for Romo. The notion that some of you have that Tony is staying and being a backup is frankly a joke it is not going to happen. From Cowboys stand point that is poor business move when talking 3 years left on the deal or are the pay out for a total of 54 mill. over the next 3 years? No team in their right mind is paying a back up 54 mill over the next 3 years. I think it is very likely at next weeks owners meeting we will see a move on Romo.
Cowboys are not looking to move Romo. He is under contract and will be the backup. You are operating on speculation.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
If he is not traded during or right after draft, then he gets released in May.

Coy

Reaction score
Retire? Do you seriously think that he would pay back millions and cost himself millions in salary for this year?

He want's to play but he wants to play for a contender so he can get a chance to get his ring, I sure think he'd rather be #2 on Fox's team on Sundays while living in dallas with his family and earning $3 Million a year rather than go to Cleveland or SF while earning more and finish wirh a 6-10 record.
You think he'd play for those teams instead??